Future of Willie Cauley-Stein?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I know we don't know what goes on beyond the scenes and how much work Willie puts into his game but based on the quotes he's provided to the media, it seems to me that he is looking to make money so he can expand his brand. Whether that's selling hats, watches, art, etc. If his attitude and approach to the game of basketball doesn't concern fans, then I don't think they are reading between the lines well enough. The guy is all about me me me and I don't know at what point is he going to be humbled but all I know is the Kings need to cut weight while they still can and not become victims of giving this guy a pay day.

He should have already been traded. Huge mistake by Vlade to keep hold of this guy. If a big portion of the fan base all saw it a mile away, why didn't the FO?

The scary thing is that Joerger gave Willie the most rope last year out of the young guys. He had a solid season but if Willie is viewed as, and takes on the role of being one of the Kings top 4-5 offensive options then this franchise will be going nowhere for a long time. Willie could have a nice career as that defensive switch role player with some decent offensive skills, but the Kings development of him and the hype placed on him by this trainers may have warped his brain. Know your role Willie. They don't need you to go into every game like some kind of diet DMC.

He should have already been traded. Huge mistake by Vlade to keep hold of this guy. If a big portion of the fan base all saw it a mile away, why didn't the FO?

I see a quote like that and I have to wonder if there isn't a reason behind it. Willie isn't ignorant to the fact that the Kings just drafted yet another big in the 1st round. Remember, Willie's draft preferences for Sacramento didn't include a big man. He knows the walls are closing in and he's probably putting pressure on the Kings with those remarks. I'm sure there's a bit of butthurt on his end after drafting Bagely and this is yet another example of why you have to strike fast and correct quickly when your moves have shifted your team back out of balance.

The scary thing is that Joerger gave Willie the most rope last year out of the young guys. He had a solid season but if Willie is viewed as, and takes on the role of being one of the Kings top 4-5 offensive options then this franchise will be going nowhere for a long time. Willie could have a nice career as that defensive switch role player with some decent offensive skills, but the Kings development of him and the hype placed on him by this trainers may have warped his brain. Know your role Willie. They don't need you to go into every game like some kind of diet DMC.
Willie is looking to get paid so he can do what he really needs to do. Defensive switch role players don't get paid so look for him to do his best Cousins/KAT impersonation this year so he can stack that paper.

Willie is looking to get paid so he can do what he really needs to do. Defensive switch role players don't get paid so look for him to do his best Cousins/KAT impersonation this year so he can stack that paper.

If he weren't in a contract year I wouldn't be so opposed but the Kings can't go into another year where the majority of accomplishments are tied to players halfway out the door. If it's allowed to happen, then that's just another strike against the coaching staff or whoever is making the call.

Been saying this all off-season, he just doesn't make sense for the timeline (2-3 years down the road) anymore and we're caught in a no-win zone with him currently.

If he balls out, do we really want to commit 12mil+ to him? With Bagley/Giles/Skal all still on their rookie deals? If he sucks, then we wasted a potential asset+growth opportunity for the 3 bigs I think have significantly higher upside than him.

so what would WCS bring in if he was traded lets say last season or this off season? nobody was inquiring about him as far as I know, so we would have to go out there and shop him around.

so what would WCS bring in if he was traded lets say last season or this off season? nobody was inquiring about him as far as I know, so we would have to go out there and shop him around.
I would have called Washington asking about Kelly Oubre. WCS is technically the better player at this point but Oubre is still young, fills a need, adds toughness and doesn't play the same position as a handful of our other prospects.

Maybe Kings include him in a trade to the Wolves. Seems like a good opportunity for both teams.
The Wolves want to dump Gorgui Dieng's contract. The Kings have the cap to let them do that but if they do they'd almost have to dump a big in return. Now maybe it's Koufos but WCS also makes some sense there. It really depends on what the compensation is. For what we might assume is a late lottery pick? Sure, I think that could be reasonable. Especially when Dieng is a perfectly serviceable (if overpaid) backup big that would allow Joerger to start Bagley and Giles.

I would have called Washington asking about Kelly Oubre. WCS is technically the better player at this point but Oubre is still young, fills a need, adds toughness and doesn't play the same position as a handful of our other prospects.
This deal would have made so much sense back in June. Oubre approaching RFA too and I seriously doubt the Wizards are going to want to commit another sizable contract to a wing when their bigs are so god awful. Especially if we knew Bagley was the target all along, would have made a ton of sense for both teams to balance rosters and basically an equal talent swap.

I am not familiar with Wizards situation that much so I cannot claim this for sure, but my guess is that they would not do it. maybe that conversation happenned and the result was no deal. but I guess the answer to my question is that we expect a young developing SF with similar stats to Willie in exchange, or something of such value. not sure he could have hauled that last year. I do think though, that he might haul something like that in the future if he has a great year trying to get paid...

This deal would have made so much sense back in June. Oubre approaching RFA too and I seriously doubt the Wizards are going to want to commit another sizable contract to a wing when their bigs are so god awful. Especially if we knew Bagley was the target all along, would have made a ton of sense for both teams to balance rosters and basically an equal talent swap.
my guess is that this is not an obvious win/win as it might seem from the outside, because the Wiz did not call Kings about it either as far as we know...

The Wolves want to dump Gorgui Dieng's contract. The Kings have the cap to let them do that but if they do they'd almost have to dump a big in return. Now maybe it's Koufos but WCS also makes some sense there. It really depends on what the compensation is. For what we might assume is a late lottery pick? Sure, I think that could be reasonable. Especially when Dieng is a perfectly serviceable (if overpaid) backup big that would allow Joerger to start Bagley and Giles.
I'd gladly include WCS in a dump deal with Koufos/ZBO if they sent us Tyus Jones. He's a prime break-out candidate and an absolute stud on the defensive end. He really developed nicely on the offensive end last year too and made big strides as a playmaker. So when fully healthy:

Fox || Tyus || Mason
Buddy || Yogi || Shumpert
Bogdan || JJ
Bagley || Bjelica
Giles || Dieng || Skal

With a first round pick added would make out to be a pretty awesome off-season for us.

I'd gladly include WCS in a dump deal with Koufos/ZBO if they sent us Tyus Jones. He's a prime break-out candidate and an absolute stud on the defensive end. He really developed nicely on the offensive end last year too and made big strides as a playmaker. So when fully healthy:

Fox || Tyus || Mason
Bogdan || JJ
Bagley || Bjelica
Giles || Dieng || Skal

With a first round pick added would make out to be a pretty awesome off-season for us.
If we're trying to get useable players out of this, go all in and try to pull Wiggins. I'd rather have him than a draft pick or Tyus Jones.

I am not familiar with Wizards situation that much so I cannot claim this for sure, but my guess is that they would not do it. maybe that conversation happenned and the result was no deal. but I guess the answer to my question is that we expect a young developing SF with similar stats to Willie in exchange, or something of such value. not sure he could have hauled that last year. I do think though, that he might haul something like that in the future if he has a great year trying to get paid...
Well yeah the odds of any random trade going down that we suggest on a forum are extremely low but I'm just saying those are the types of deals I would be looking for. No one is going to give us a first rounder for him so the best bet is another struggling young player to see if a change of scenery helps. Even if that player isn't any better than Willie, they may be better than the other players at the 3 or whatever position they play.

Fox || Tyus || Mason
Bogdan || JJ
Bagley || Bjelica
Giles || Dieng || Skal

I'm with you on Tyus. You know the Suns are eyeing him with that report that came out today. He has all the makings of a player ready to break out but would you take on Dieng's contract for just Tyus? He's been buried on the bench, which every non starter on any Thibs team is, but he has the potential to be a starting PG in this league and would be solid insurance if Fox doesn't develop. Yogi is a stop gap and Mason is a guy you keep around just to see what happens but Tyus could potentially have a good amount of value down the road. Not just on the court but in a potential trade to upgrade at a position of need in the future.

He could be the next Terry Rozier.

Well yeah the odds of any random trade going down that we suggest on a forum are extremely low but I'm just saying those are the types of deals I would be looking for. No one is going to give us a first rounder for him so the best bet is another struggling young player to see if a change of scenery helps. Even if that player isn't any better than Willie, they may be better than the other players at the 3 or whatever position they play.

I'm with you on Tyus. You know the Suns are eyeing him with that report that came out today. He has all the makings of a player ready to break out but would you take on Dieng's contract for just Tyus? He's been buried on the bench, which every non starter on any Thibs team is, but he has the potential to be a starting PG in this league and would be solid insurance if Fox doesn't develop. Yogi is a stop gap and Mason is a guy you keep around just to see what happens but Tyus could potentially have a good amount of value down the road. Not just on the court but in a potential trade to upgrade at a position of need in the future.

He could be the next Terry Rozier.
No, but I'd be willing to add WCS to what's being proposed of us taking Dieng+someone's 19 1st rounder

Kings give:
WCS
ZBO or Koufos

Kings get:
Dieng
19 1st (probably 18-22 range if it's Miami or Denver from BKN?)
Tyus Jones

Would be an absolutely phenomenal haul for us. We get to keep the talent pipeline moving in next years draft, we get a massive upgrade to our weakest position on the team with Tyus, (back-up ball-handler and playmaking), we clear out a potential roadblock to Giles and Bagley getting buried on the bench and Dieng is certainly a good rotational player who is just being paid like a starter. I think it's a reasonable request too with Thibs thinking that Derrick Rose's corpse is somehow still an NBA player. He's the 3rd PG on the DC and WCS would be a reasonable replacement for Dieng off the bench.

No, but I'd be willing to add WCS to what's being proposed of us taking Dieng+someone's 19 1st rounder

Kings give:
WCS
ZBO or Koufos

Kings get:
Dieng
19 1st (probably 18-22 range if it's Miami or Denver from BKN?)
Tyus Jones

Would be an absolutely phenomenal haul for us. We get to keep the talent pipeline moving in next years draft, we get a massive upgrade to our weakest position on the team with Tyus, (back-up ball-handler and playmaking), we clear out a potential roadblock to Giles and Bagley getting buried on the bench and Dieng is certainly a good rotational player who is just being paid like a starter. I think it's a reasonable request too with Thibs thinking that Derrick Rose's corpse is somehow still an NBA player. He's the 3rd PG on the DC and WCS would be a reasonable replacement for Dieng off the bench.
Yeah, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. And that's with me being more of a Willie supporter than most on this board.

Part of it is that I could see Willie having a pretty decent but not great season leaving the Kings in the unenviable position of trying to decide whether or not to overpay to keep an asset or lose him for nothing.

Yeah, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. And that's with me being more of a Willie supporter than most on this board.

Part of it is that I could see Willie having a pretty decent but not great season leaving the Kings in the unenviable position of trying to decide whether or not to overpay to keep an asset or lose him for nothing.
Exactly. And even though Tyus is headed to RFA, I'd be FAR more apt to pay him 8-10 million (assuming his bell-curve of being really good continues) in a position we're extremely weak at rather than one we have significant investment in on cheap rookie deals for several more years.

Coupled with his inconsistent performances and attitudes, it wouldn't be more obvious if you put a neon sign around his head reading "Contract Year Player".

If he regresses, he just fades into irrelevance. If he breaks out, it's a trap.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I can tell you personally about the Wizards because I watch all 82 games and they are very high on Oubre and he's made improvements every season since draft night. He is coming off the bench now but I can see the Wiz potentially playing Porter or either one at the 4 and the other at the 3 to give the Wiz the most potent offense because their starting five is solid, it's the bench that kills this team.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Honestly, if this is all we are going to witness with Willie then it's a addition by subtraction even if they get nothing in return due to the fact that the Kings have Giles, Bagley & Skal to develop still

He's gone before the trade deadline. He won't be getting paid either. Maybe, WCS is referring to the sales of his artwork or baseball caps. He can go join the Nets or Knicks on a Min Contract.

No room for him now. The Future is Giles and Bagley. WCS had his chance. The Window is closed.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but IMO it’s lack of motor, which actually for me makes the contract year talk moot. Because if I’m right, he doesn’t have the conscious control to put forth 20+ minutes of high work rate for 82, regardless of motivation. I’m sure he’s had stimulus the entire time to perform to some degree

I agree with you 100% there but in this case, WCS basically admitted to being lazy so it's fair to label him as such until he proves otherwise.
I argued for a little moderation back when this was posted. But now, with Willie's comments about the big pay day that is (finally) motivating him, I'm so done with Willie. For most of his time here, I've rooted for him and waited patiently for him to evolve. A few times I got tired of waiting. But even going into his 4th year I thought it was best to give him one last chance to realize his potential. But now that I see who he really is with this "pay day" crap, I want nothing to do with him. I realize that money is a big motivator for many athletes. So much so that the term "a contract year" always seems to bring out the best in them. I don't hold it against them that they tend to make millions while the rest of us tend to make thousands. But for a smart guy, how can he be so dumb to tell the world that he's doing his best THIS YEAR because it's for his big pay day? Really?? I'd trade him at the first opportunity for a 1st round draft pick and never look back. I don't even care if it turns out to be a lottery pick. I want him gone. Time to move on.