Future of Willie Cauley-Stein?

First comment I believe? Willie has demonstrated his superficial values as a basketball player and needs to be moved (if you ask me), especially when you consider the promise of our other 2 young bigs. I would've loved to see willie as the first big off the bench in sort of a pollard role, but unfortunately he seems to be a victim of the modern cash grab mindset and will undoubtedly ruin chemistry in order to put up numbers. I started off as a big cauley-stein fan, but he hasn't impressed in defense or rebounding so far in the nba and those are the attributes he was drafted to fulfill for the kings.

I argued for a little moderation back when this was posted. But now, with Willie's comments about the big pay day that is (finally) motivating him, I'm so done with Willie. For most of his time here, I've rooted for him and waited patiently for him to evolve. A few times I got tired of waiting. But even going into his 4th year I thought it was best to give him one last chance to realize his potential. But now that I see who he really is with this "pay day" crap, I want nothing to do with him. I realize that money is a big motivator for many athletes. So much so that the term "a contract year" always seems to bring out the best in them. I don't hold it against them that they tend to make millions while the rest of us tend to make thousands. But for a smart guy, how can he be so dumb to tell the world that he's doing his best THIS YEAR because it's for his big pay day? Really?? I'd trade him at the first opportunity for a 1st round draft pick and never look back. I don't even care if it turns out to be a lottery pick. I want him gone. Time to move on.
What sucks is that in the end he's most likely going to go down as a bust just like McLemore, Jimmer and the rest of them. That will make 5 straight years of drafting lottery busts. Is he better than the other busts? Yeah of course. Even on his laziest day. In the end the pick will be pointless and he will either be shipped out or won't be resigned at the end of the year. I wouldn't hold your breath on a team giving up a first round pick for him with one year left on his contract.

Our saving grace will end up being Giles. He's as anti Willie as a player can get.

Every NBA player is playing for the payday, Willie is just being up front with it. I mean I'd love it if every player on the Kingswas a basketball maniac like a Kobe Bryant but most aren't, it's their job and as long as they are professionals that take their job seriously it's fine. The only way Willie gets a big payday is if he becomes a borderline all star caliber player this year so there's no harm in seeing how he does. As of now there is no way a team will offer him more that $8-$10 million per year type contract.

I would love it if every mediocre NBA player would decide to demonstrate on court skills and effort for a paycheck rather than talking the talk off the court. If Willie were worth anything substantial we'd have all been worried about losing him after this year, but there's not a large outcry. The jury is still out, but it's put up or shut up time for WCS and I hope he capitalizes in a way that helps the team.

[QUOTE="tastyburger, post: 1397515, member: 45697"]First comment I believe? Willie has demonstrated his superficial values as a basketball player and needs to be moved (if you ask me), especially when you consider the promise of our other 2 young bigs. I would've loved to see willie as the first big off the bench in sort of a pollard role, but unfortunately he seems to be a victim of the modern cash grab mindset and will undoubtedly ruin chemistry in order to put up numbers. I started off as a big cauley-stein fan, but he hasn't impressed in defense or rebounding so far in the nba and those are the attributes he was drafted to fulfill for the kings.[/QUOTE]

Welcome!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Every NBA player is playing for the payday, Willie is just being up front with it. I mean I'd love it if every player on the Kingswas a basketball maniac like a Kobe Bryant but most aren't, it's their job and as long as they are professionals that take their job seriously it's fine. The only way Willie gets a big payday is if he becomes a borderline all star caliber player this year so there's no harm in seeing how he does. As of now there is no way a team will offer him more that $8-$10 million per year type contract.
It's not like Kobe didn't get paid either.

No gaurantee WCS gets a big deal. Ehe is marginally better this yewar6 than last, i dont really see another team offering him a big deal. Im sure any other team would do aome due diligence and uncover his "just want to get paid" attitude. Being kings RFA is nice as we dont need to make any offfers rather sot back and see if we want to match or not. Id keep hom frm 8 to 9 mil a year

WCS has always been odd and selfish in his approach to basketball. He wants to be like Porzingis but he just simply doesn’t have the skill set or the offensive basketball IQ to get there.

The point he has been missing all along is that if he put his energy into becoming a defensive stud who can defend smaller players on the switch, provide some genuine shot blocking and rim protector, and hit the boards and take what the defense gives him offensively (within his skill set of course), he would have extended on a max contract this summer. Except he is just lost, looking to be something that he is not and is not going to be and he and we are now in a predicament that we are in.

I wanted to trade WCS last year. It’s not too late yet but I fear he will walk for nothing as we let his contract expire and choose not to match the offer he will get.

I just don’t like the selfishness he has been displaying, which has become more and more evident since DMC trade.

I guess I'm curious to see what type of play Willie thinks will get him paid.

Because based on his earlier comments about not always taking the coaches' advice to heart it could be that he's realizing that what could get him a big contract is committing to the DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela role. Rebounding, blocking shots and generally being a defensive anchor while scoring on purbacks, dump-offs, rolling hard on picks and getting out in transition.

If that's the case then he can be a huge help to.the Kings this year and I'd be okay with the Kings looking to re-sign him to a reasonable deal.

On the other hand, if he still thinks he's going to become a go-to scorer on offense and that will get him paid then I hope he's dealt as soon as possible.

In a year where we need to see what we have in the young guys and who the core is there's no room for WCS to be selfish on offense.

From NBC...
On Monday afternoon, Willie Cauley-Stein sat in the hot seat and bared his soul. In midseason form, the fourth-year center said exactly what was on his mind.

“I’m ready to get paid,” Cauley-Stein told NBC Sports California. “This is what we’ve got to do, that’s what type of focus I’m on.

“I’m ready for it. I’ve seen everybody else - all my peers. Alright, I’m ready for that. What do I got to do to do that? That’s what they’re doing? Alright, I’m going to go ahead and do this now. I was doing it this way, obviously it wasn’t working, so now lets do it this way.”

“Regardless of anything, I need this, right now, to change everybody’s lives that are believing in what I’m doing,” Cauley-Stein said. “That’s money. It’s richer than money, but I just need the money to do what I really need to do.”
What an odd comment to make coming into training camp. Being so focused on the money instead of what it actually takes to get the money. Willie needs to rebound, defend and generally be an irritant to the opposing team. It is almost like when he hurt his hand on the rim early on his approach became tentative. I hope he can make the Kings a better team. But from what I have seen so far he has not earned a contract like Capella got.

It's a culmination of everything he's done and said for his entire career and it's come to a tipping point with his comments about money. If WCS had been laying it out on the line for the last 3 years and putting in the work, not many people would have a problem with what he said. It's his lazy play and his admittance to not putting in the work that makes nearly everyone a non believer in WCS and what he has to offer.

He's already burned the fanbase's trust on multiple occasions by saying he's going to be a leader and put in the work and then he goes out there and just does the same crap he's always done. But now with money on the line you're going to trust this guy to put in the work off the court, put in the work on the court and then put in the work after he gets paid? The guy is lazy and selfish and needs to be traded asap while we can still get something for him.

A fan on another site said it best when they said something like "Willie's comments are all about I, Me and Money instead of "Us, We and Wins".

It's a culmination of everything he's done and said for his entire career and it's come to a tipping point with his comments about money. If WCS had been laying it out on the line for the last 3 years and putting in the work, not many people would have a problem with what he said. It's his lazy play and his admittance to not putting in the work that makes nearly everyone a non believer in WCS and what he has to offer.

He's already burned the fanbase's trust on multiple occasions by saying he's going to be a leader and put in the work and then he goes out there and just does the same crap he's always done. But now with money on the line you're going to trust this guy to put in the work off the court, put in the work on the court and then put in the work after he gets paid? The guy is lazy and selfish and needs to be traded asap while we can still get something for him.

A fan on another site said it best when they said something like "Willie's comments are all about I, Me and Money instead of "Us, We and Wins".
That's just it, isn't it. Money may be a motivator, even a primary one for a lot of players, that's why players take contracts with the highest bidder in FA.

But most of them seem to love playing the game of basketball and enjoy winning, and it's not clear that's the case with WCS. Everything he's said before seems to indicate that he doesn't really care.

Quote from Willie:

"“I just let myself go to the game, mentally and physically,” Cauley-Stein said of his preparation for this season. “Consistent work and that’s what I didn’t do in the past, was just consistently working on my game. I’d work on it for a while and then relax and kind of like, forget what I’m doing.”"

Link to source--> https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...de-it-clear-kings-media-day-im-ready-get-paid
He needs to hire an adviser of some sort on how to handle the media.

I'll go ahead and give him some advice for free. Willie......you don't have to say everything that you're thinking out loud.

See my trade in Butler thread
I see WCS for Winslow as part of Butler trade a win for us
We need a young talented SF and a pick
We give up WCS and cap space
Win Win

Of course Butler will ***** about WCS and his effort
but that is Miami's problem LOL

Here's what I liked most about Giles in Summer League.

He got after guys.

Giles was playing guys very physically on defense, going right at them on offense, and was on them verbally as well. I don't want to see him get a ton of technicals, but I love the mindset.

And of all the guys on the team, I think it has the best chance of actually firing up Cauley-Stein. He's got a young, talented guy coming after his job and he's going to have that young guy banging on him every practice.

That may be Giles' biggest contribution to the team this year - changing the attitude. You want teams, even when they beat the Kings, to feel like they were in a scrap for 48 minutes against a hungry group of young guys. Willie can either be part of that or not. Up to him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I guess I'm curious to see what type of play Willie thinks will get him paid.

Because based on his earlier comments about not always taking the coaches' advice to heart it could be that he's realizing that what could get him a big contract is committing to the DeAndre Jordan or Clint Capela role. Rebounding, blocking shots and generally being a defensive anchor while scoring on purbacks, dump-offs, rolling hard on picks and getting out in transition.

If that's the case then he can be a huge help to.the Kings this year and I'd be okay with the Kings looking to re-sign him to a reasonable deal.

On the other hand, if he still thinks he's going to become a go-to scorer on offense and that will get him paid then I hope he's dealt as soon as possible.

In a year where we need to see what we have in the young guys and who the core is there's no room for WCS to be selfish on offense.
LOL. Yeah, that is the question, isn't it? If past is prologue, then he'll be the wannabe offensive juggernaut. But if he's able to acquire some common sense, then maybe he focuses more on defense and rebounding. I just find it sad and frustrating that the Kings spent a high first round pick on a guy that did not take his coaches' advice.

Here's what I liked most about Giles in Summer League.

He got after guys.

Giles was playing guys very physically on defense, going right at them on offense, and was on them verbally as well. I don't want to see him get a ton of technicals, but I love the mindset.

And of all the guys on the team, I think it has the best chance of actually firing up Cauley-Stein. He's got a young, talented guy coming after his job and he's going to have that young guy banging on him every practice.

That may be Giles' biggest contribution to the team this year - changing the attitude. You want teams, even when they beat the Kings, to feel like they were in a scrap for 48 minutes against a hungry group of young guys. Willie can either be part of that or not. Up to him.
If the Giles we saw in summer league is the same Giles we get for the next 3 years and after the 3rd year he comes out and says he's excited to start making money....then more power to him. He earned it with his effort and competitiveness on the court. You would trust Giles to go out onto the court with the same intensity he had before he got paid. Can't do that with WCS.

Our debates in the past on here about WCS have been more competitive than what he's shown on the NBA court.

"I meant that, in a sense of, what do I need to do to get that? ... Tell me what you need me to do and I'm gonna go get it done. And that's what I meant by that" (referring to the big pay day).
-WCS
From Sean Cunningham video

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
First of all, anyone that thinks most of the NBA players don't think about the money is nuts. It is a business folks, and the better you are, the more you get paid. So for me, this is very simple. If Willie comes out and puts up anything close to 20 and 10, then I'm happy, and I'll gladly pay him. Especially if he stands out on the defensive side of the ball as well. If he doesn't, then you trade him, or offer him a salary that matches his stats. I really don't care what he says, I only care about the results of his play.

Willie falls down more in a game without touching anyone, than anyone I have ever watched play the game at any level.
He takes games off.
He is afraid to go after rebounds near the rim. He has a few issues. This is just a sample.

First of all, anyone that thinks most of the NBA players don't think about the money is nuts. It is a business folks, and the better you are, the more you get paid. So for me, this is very simple. If Willie comes out and puts up anything close to 20 and 10, then I'm happy, and I'll gladly pay him. Especially if he stands out on the defensive side of the ball as well. If he doesn't, then you trade him, or offer him a salary that matches his stats. I really don't care what he says, I only care about the results of his play.
Me personally I don’t like guys talking about getting paid. Not when it’s a guy like IT during a MVP run and definatley not when it’s WCS. Obviously they play for the money but to talk like that going into the season can make you look like a fool

Last edited:
And you trust him to continue that after he gets paid ? If money is his big motivation right now, after he gets paid, knowing his past history, you would feel confident in him sustaining that production? That's quite a risk imo, and not a very smart one to take.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And you trust him to continue that after he gets paid ? If money is his big motivation right now, after he gets paid, knowing his past history, you would feel confident in him sustaining that production? That's quite a risk imo, and not a very smart one to take.
Yes, I would trust him. Seldom does a player suddenly improve and put up big numbers, and then after getting paid completely fall back to where he was. When you play at a high level, it almost becomes a drug. You love the sound of the fans cheering for you. You love winning, and you love the respect of your teammates. Money may have been some or even all of your motivation, but once you reach that rare air that only a few reach, money becomes secondary. Lets see if he can become that player first, and then worry about it.

How about this, if Willie suddenly looks like a star, he then also looks like an asset, and becomes very tradeable.

Yes, I would trust him. Seldom does a player suddenly improve and put up big numbers, and then after getting paid completely fall back to where he was. When you play at a high level, it almost becomes a drug. You love the sound of the fans cheering for you. You love winning, and you love the respect of your teammates. Money may have been some or even all of your motivation, but once you reach that rare air that only a few reach, money becomes secondary. Lets see if he can become that player first, and then worry about it.

How about this, if Willie suddenly looks like a star, he then also looks like an asset, and becomes very tradeable.
Hmm, interesting take, maybe you're right