[Game] Friday morning game

That was a fun first game. Lots to like and lots of mistakes. That makes for some good tape.

I was happy with the rotations for preseason. It allowed for a lot of different combinations.

The D for sure needs work and lots of mistakes for Marvin. But both are too be expected. I was really impressed with Bagley’s passing and think he and Fox just need time to gel. Plus, I thought Marvin’s growth curve last year was off the chart. I think he’ll figure this starting thing out soon.

Anyway, the Pacers seem like a good test for the Kings. And what a fun game for India (minus the whistles).

Corey Joseph is going to be a +4 on defense every night. Sturdy. Forces opposing PGs a certain way. Handsy. Hate playing against him. Jason Kidd on defense.
Yes.

Soon people are going to see the strategy here. First team is offensive juggernaught and outruns opponents. Second team hits you with even MORE energy, but are defensive honey badgers. You cannot beat a team that grabs a lead and then locks it down on defense.

Elements of that second unit will also come in to play with the first in tight 4th Q situations.

This is the type of overall strategy and vision that has been needed. It's all Vlade.

Holmes and Joseph on defense, holy smokes.
The benefit of having as much firepower as we do is that you can spend those extra roster spots on guys like this. A synergistic roster that is internally co-leveraged = greater than the sum of its parts. What we are seeing is what Vlade promised in the wake of the Cousins trade. This is his basketball philosophy of love coming to life. I hope realize we are entering another golden era right?

Vlade's vision of love: team play on the court
Basketball from above, the beautiful sport
Sharing and caring, it's more than just a phrase
It's the way we're gonna bring back those GoLdEn dAySzz . . .

uh

yeeeea

Last edited:
Are there things to work on/improve? Of course. Remember folks, we are still one of the youngest rosters in the league. But IMO, there was a LOT more to be excited about then be worried about.

Ball movement, perimeter defense and shooting all looked good.

interior defense and rebounding were really bad. We get 5-6 more rebounds and we win by 10. It’s going to be a problem.

Buddy had Bogie free in front of him and he opted to shoot turnaround shot over the extended hand of a defender.

I have to calm down it is presason :)
Buddy always has and continues to make poor decisions with the ball in crunch time. Bogdan is a poor rebounder. Those two should never be on the floor together in crunch time. Dave proved that last year. Hopefully Walton is a faster learner.

Alright, I missed the game. Any quick breakdown? Who's was good, who sucked?

I get it's preseason so I'm not expecting much.
  1. We are a very good three point shooting team.
  2. Our second team will be an advantage all year
  3. Bogdan at the 3 still sucks but Bogi looks good
  4. Giles has a battle with Holmes for playing time
  5. Beli isn’t going anywhere as he fits in well with the second group.

I know it’s 1 game (and a preseason game at that) but I’ll say it...I’m still not sold on Bagley.

I see the talent, I just don’t see the translation to winning basketball in this day & age. A 6’8”, high usage big who struggles to stretch the floor while not being known for his defensive abilities does not give me a lot of hope. Doncic was there for the taking and would have been a great fit at SF/PF with our core.

Now we’ve tied up all of our cap space with the hopes that Bagley is one of our saviors. If Bagley doesn’t amount to much, Fox/Hield/Bogdanovic/Giles is not going to be enough potential star power to be a true contender in this league.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, continue to collect young assets and picks with your cap space until you know you have your stars. Here’s to hoping Bagley proves me wrong...

End of overreaction rant/
I have to agree with this 100%. Bagley didn't look good against Sabonis today and Sabonis is not even a top 10 center in the league. He's gonna be up against Jokic, AD, Gobert, Capela, etc. and he'll need to step up big time. I know it's too early to make these rants and this one game doesn't have to mean anything, but I'm really looking to see what aspects of his game were significantly improved during this summer.

Another thing I didn't really like was Fox's game today. I'd love to see him do a little more playmaking and a little less driving into 3 guys and hoping the ball would somehow go in. That was ok when we were 12th team in the West, but if we're looking to reach the playoffs, we gotta play smarter.

Looking at +-, Fox was -12, Bagley was -11. On the other hand: Cory +15, Holmes +14, Bogi +14. Looking forward to the next game tomorrow.

I have to agree with this 100%. Bagley didn't look good against Sabonis today and Sabonis is not even a top 10 center in the league. He's gonna be up against Jokic, AD, Gobert, Capela, etc. and he'll need to step up big time. I know it's too early to make these rants and this one game doesn't have to mean anything, but I'm really looking to see what aspects of his game were significantly improved during this summer.

Another thing I didn't really like was Fox's game today. I'd love to see him do a little more playmaking and a little less driving into 3 guys and hoping the ball would somehow go in. That was ok when we were 12th team in the West, but if we're looking to reach the playoffs, we gotta play smarter.

Looking at +-, Fox was -12, Bagley was -11. On the other hand: Cory +15, Holmes +14, Bogi +14. Looking forward to the next game tomorrow.
Right now it’s not completely definitive that our first group is better than our second group.

Sabonis got away with some veteran stuff on Bagley right away. You could see that it got in Bagleys head. Once Bagley got into foul trouble early I knew it was gonna be a rough game for him. He ended up passing well but pressing when looking for his offense. Missed some shots he is probably kicking himself for right now.

Fox was ok. He missed some shots he should make and he didnt look for the 3 at all. The game shifted when he went out late in the second and Yogi came in. Kings were up by about 20 and next thing you knew it was 10.

The last 6 or so minutes of the game Fox started walking the ball up court and that spelled the doom for our offense. We became pretty stagnant and more 1 on 1 than we should. We stopped moving the ball and the bodies.

Buddy shouldnt initiate drives into the paint in crunch time.

Bogie looked good. His shot looks a lot better than last year, more confident.

Barnes was amazing. The most efficient player on the court. He didnt press, he found his spots, he hit his shots and his free throws.

Speaking of free throws...Fox needs to make his free throws.

Alright, I missed the game. Any quick breakdown? Who's was good, who sucked?

I get it's preseason so I'm not expecting much.
Bagley needs to add some bulk, was the only thing that stood out as "bad". Match ups shouldn't always be like that though.

You can see Joseph's defensive potential, needs a bit of familiarity with the fellas.

Bogi looked fantastic for most of the game, never got the ball in overtime.

Ball movement for most of the game was a major improvement over the Joerger play.

Sabonis got away with some veteran stuff on Bagley right away. You could see that it got in Bagleys head. Once Bagley got into foul trouble early I knew it was gonna be a rough game for him. He ended up passing well but pressing when looking for his offense. Missed some shots he is probably kicking himself for right now.
Feels like a line I've heard of back in the 90s...
I guess something never change... haha

Way too early, first game thoughts:

1. Space and more space on offense.
2. Kings bigs will look silly on defense until they figure it out. Switching, playing in space, a step slow on boards and blocks.
3. Would love to see Giles operate from the high post in this offense.
4. Bigs need to be practicing threes before and after practice.
5. Less boards for bigs this year. The defense has everyone playing in space. They’ll be scrambling until it becomes second nature.

GSW 2.0 offensive n defensive system.

+ 1 Edit: after typing the above thoughts, went over to STR n the writers are sweating Bags. Yes, he under performed. But dude is being asked to do things that are different than last year. He’ll adjust.

Last edited:
Bagley looks like last year Bagley, gets stuffed to many times when he has the ball down low. His defense against some slower players is somewhat laughably bad. I hope that changes.

The isolation ball non movement thing has really never been the strength of our players. So why did we resort to it later in the game?

Our starters looking very good.
Our second string looks very good.

I can see why Walton may want to tighten up the rotation as it will be a lot easier for 8 or 9 players to gell than 10 or 11.

But it’s preseason so do not mind right now and yes it fantastic to see our team play again.

The Bagley over Doncic discussion still turns on the fit with Fox who is the most important player on the Kings. Could Fox and Doncic share ball handling and playmaking duties? Could Fox succeed playing off the ball much more often? Could Doncic be as successful on a faster paced team? All good questions that can be argued. But Bagley is a pretty seamless fit with Fox.

This will be debated forever but it seems an especially weird game to revisit it since I think the Kings really lost due to being thumped on the boards, an area that should be a strength for Bagley.
Him being a great offensive rebounder masks that he's a poor defensive rebounder. He's similar to Willie, refuses to put his butt and body on his guy aka box out, also like Willie sets poor screens. All that is poor fundamentals and lack of coaching.