Free Agency

And some people are also going to look at his rookie year when he was healthier. Right now he needs to prove himself for sure, but you can't just emphasize one set of evidence and ignore the others. He's also a young big. Typically it will take time for all of that to come together. If he can't stay on the floor next year or he doesn't fit it's not a good sign and moving him via trade as an add on to maybe a Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes package should be an option.
did you see me say something would happen for sure? No, you did not. I said Bagley should be given an opportunity to prove himself but it is not a given that his option will be picked up.

And some people are also going to look at his rookie year when he was healthier. Right now he needs to prove himself for sure, but you can't just emphasize one set of evidence and ignore the others. He's also a young big. Typically it will take time for all of that to come together. If he can't stay on the floor next year or he doesn't fit it's not a good sign and moving him via trade as an add on to maybe a Buddy Hield or Harrison Barnes package should be an option.
if he doesn’t improve significantly (notice I said if) he won’t be tradeable. Centers who excel at defense receive 10M a year. See Thompson who just signed with Boston. If you can’t stretch the floor and can’t impact defense you have limited to no value.

if he doesn’t improve significantly (notice I said if) he won’t be tradeable. Centers who excel at defense receive 10M a year. See Thompson who just signed with Boston. If you can’t stretch the floor and can’t impact defense you have limited to no value.
The MLE is 10 million a year. That's the middle rung for everyone, not just centers.

You realize that the option comes due before THIS season starts, right?
Not clear with the new agreement how long the Kings will have to decide. Have you seen the revised CBA?

and yes I get the issue but the facts on how Bagley has played makes this an open question. Given Covid teams might have more time to make a call.

McNair don't have enough smell around the league yet. The vultures are already feeding on the carcass of OKC. Gallinari, Paul, Adams now moved to new teams. Adams would have been nice in a Kings uni. I do hope they can sign Len/Whiteside/DMC. Kings need a platoon up front with Holmes often reckless abandon and of course Marvin 'the glass' Bagley.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not clear with the new agreement how long the Kings will have to decide. Have you seen the revised CBA?

and yes I get the issue but the facts on how Bagley has played makes this an open question. Given Covid teams might have more time to make a call.
I have not seen the revised CBA. However, that option date has always fallen during training camp of the prior season, since the 2+1+1 rookie deals were introduced. COVID has obviously changed the schedule of things such as the draft and free agency and the start of the upcoming season, but you might have noticed that players who had options come due x days before the draft, or x days after the draft, had their options move with the draft. There is literally no reason to believe that rookie deal team options will be the only options to magically be moved to after the season, or to some in-season date, instead of coming due during training camp, as they always have.

I have not seen the revised CBA. However, that option date has always fallen during training camp of the prior season, since the 2+1+1 rookie deals were introduced. COVID has obviously changed the schedule of things such as the draft and free agency and the start of the upcoming season, but you might have noticed that players who had options come due x days before the draft, or x days after the draft, had their options move with the draft. There is literally no reason to believe that rookie deal team options will be the only options to magically be moved to after the season, or to some in-season date, instead of coming due during training camp, as they always have.
options were moved back. With no summer I can see teams wanting more time to see. We shall see. Either way with what we have seen from Bagley to date it is not a slam dunk.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
McNair don't have enough smell around the league yet. The vultures are already feeding on the carcass of OKC. Gallinari, Paul, Adams now moved to new teams. Adams would have been nice in a Kings uni. I do hope they can sign Len/Whiteside/DMC. Kings need a platoon up front with Holmes often reckless abandon and of course Marvin 'the glass' Bagley.
You had me at “DMC.”

I believe they are before the first game.

You had me at “DMC.”
I dont know what you mean by this... a fan of bringing back DMC or on that ship has sailed camp.
I said somewhere amongst all todays post that another big seems the greatest need with the way today has played out. Len, Whiteside, DMC, Len is the youngest and seemed productive last season.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I dont know what you mean by this... a fan of bringing back DMC or on that ship has sailed camp.
I said somewhere amongst all todays post that another big seems the greatest need with the way today has played out. Len, Whiteside, DMC, Len is the youngest and seemed productive last season.
Major major major fan. I don’t care if he only has one leg and is probably a slow ineffective stretch 5 at this point, I want him in a Kings uniform one more time. One more time without Grant seething on the radio and TV whenever he does something. The only bad part if it happened this year is he wouldn’t get the amazing welcome back cheers the second he checks into his first game.

Chances reasonable we are going to be very bad this year:
1) no Bazemore or Buddy/Bogi
2) either one or both Bjelicia/CoJo gone at deadline
3) if Bogi gone Buddy complaining all year when Haliburton starts over him... then gets sent home

Chances reasonable we are going to be very bad this year:
1) no Bazemore or Buddy/Bogi
2) either one or both Bjelicia/CoJo gone at deadline
3) if Bogi gone Buddy complaining all year when Haliburton starts over him... then gets sent home
Are you complaining or celebrating? Seriously, I think we should play Fox, Bagley and the young guys all the minutes they can handle. If you're right, we'll get a great draft pick in a great draft next year. Hopefully we'll have three stars lighting it up from that point. Right now we have one maybe-star.

Are you complaining or celebrating? Seriously, I think we should play Fox, Bagley and the young guys all the minutes they can handle. If you're right, we'll get a great draft pick in a great draft next year. Hopefully we'll have three stars lighting it up from that point. Right now we have one maybe-star.
I agree and not really doing either than mentally preparing myself for another year of bad basketball. I would rather see really bad than another 8-10 spot in the lottery.

Math is wrong on that, as he’s since walked back:

would have to renounce the MLE, too, but I guess actual space is more useful than an exception.
1606157717057.png

We'd only have 10 players under contract with that $8.8 mil in cap space, so we'd have to factor in 3 undrafted rookie cap holds (I believe it was 13) which bring the cap space to $6.1 mil (not $8.8 mil). Now if you sign a player, one of those cap holds is released and you get that money "back" to use, but the Kings couldn't go out and outright sign 1 player for $8.8 mil.

I'm also assuming that Haliburton will get 120% of the rookie scale (which I believe is pretty typical), and I'm assuming Hield did not make any of his incentives in his first year thus his cap hit this year would be only base salary. Below are his incentives:

• $500,000: Play 70 Games AND shoot 85%+ from the Free Throw Line (Played 72 Games but shot 84.6% from FT)
  • $500,000: Average less than 2 Turnovers per game (Averaged 2.3 TOs per game)
  • $500,000: Lead the League in 3PM (2nd in League with 271 3PM)
  • $500,000: Have a Defensive Rating of less than 110.5 (Defensive Rating of 114)
  • $500,000: Make the All Star team (Did not make All Star team)
  • $500,000: Make the Playoffs (Did not make Playoffs)
  • $250,000: Make the Second Round of Playoffs (Did not make Second Round of Playoffs)
  • $500,000: Make the Western Conference Finals (Did not make Western Conference Finals)
  • $1,000,000: Make the NBA Finals (Did not make NBA Finals)

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, but John Hollinger says Kosta Koufos is back in the US looking for a landing spot. I like Kosta, but not hoping that the Kings provide that landing spot. But is there a whole lot of difference between Kosta and Len?