Following Potential *2020* Draftees

I agree 100%. There's no doubt that he's talented, and I think his floor is probably higher than Hezonja's ceiling at this point, but you never know. To say that he might be the next European player to make a splash in the NBA doesn't make him Doncic. I have no idea how Saric even gets into the conversation. I would say that I'm higher on him than I was Hezonja at the same point in time. But the bottom line is, he's a prospect, and a young one, so you never know.
I brought up Saric because coming out of Europe he had huge hype as a skilled SF and showed some flashes in his rookie season. Someone said this kid is a skilled big SF but not like Luka so I brought up the comparison is he more like young Saric as in skilled/high IQ. I have seen highlights of him and he's no where near as explosive as Hezonja as a athlete imo (better player than Mario but).

I brought up Saric because coming out of Europe he had huge hype as a skilled SF and showed some flashes in his rookie season. Someone said this kid is a skilled big SF but not like Luka so I brought up the comparison is he more like young Saric as in skilled/high IQ. I have seen highlights of him and he's no where near as explosive as Hezonja as a athlete imo (better player than Mario but).
He reminds me a lot of a young Jalen Rose, more than anything. Tall, long, nice handle & IQ. Smooth but not explosive. If it has to be a Euro comparison, I’d lean towards Kukoc.

Honestly guys, I'm not sure we're watching the same player. Yeah Hezonja is an explosive athlete, but so is Avdija. He's bigger than Hezonja and even by NBA standards, he's a good athlete. He might not have the vertical of Hezonja (although not that far off), but what's really impressive about him is his speed and agility to run the floor for a guy his size.

Saric is high IQ but is pretty stiff, and can't really shoot. He's an excellent passer and a better rebounder, but Avdija projects as an athletic wing who can score and facilitate.

Given where we're likely to pick, there's not too many guys I'm that interested in. Avdija is going to be near the top of the list.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Honestly guys, I'm not sure we're watching the same player. Yeah Hezonja is an explosive athlete, but so is Avdija. He's bigger than Hezonja and even by NBA standards, he's a good athlete. He might not have the vertical of Hezonja (although not that far off), but what's really impressive about him is his speed and agility to run the floor for a guy his size.

Saric is high IQ but is pretty stiff, and can't really shoot. He's an excellent passer and a better rebounder, but Avdija projects as an athletic wing who can score and facilitate.

Given where we're likely to pick, there's not too many guys I'm that interested in. Avdija is going to be near the top of the list.
Yeah, I think you and I are on the same page. I've been impressed with Avdija, and I don't know if I would use the word explosive, but he's certainly a good athlete. I remember when I was very high on a young player named Blake Griffin, and I had people telling me that he didn't look like a good athlete, and that he wasn't explosive. I thought, are we watching the same player. I heard similar statements about James Harden. What sets Avdija apart is his skill level, his instincts, and confidence at a young age.

But I'm not saying he's the next Doncic. I also don't think he's the next Hezonja, who has been a huge disappointment so far, and his so far is running out of time. There has been a lot of explosive athlete's that ended up on NBA trash pile.

I'm not particularly high on this draft, and when you look at it from that perspective, landing a player like Avdija might look like a steal down the road. Or not! There are a lot of NBA players that I could comp him with, like Kevin Huerter, who I would love to have on the Kings. Personally, I don't like comping players because there is no perfect comp, which rest assured, someone will point out to you.

I
Obi Toppin will be a star in the nba, you heard it hear first. But yeah, this topic probably belongs somewhere else.
I was just reading about him. He sounds like he has the ability and skill set to be a solid (or better) NBA player. Let’s hope the FO can somehow get a quality player in the first round of what is being characterized as a weak draft class this year.

This premise always amuses me. Who is the authority on this? The talking heads on Bspn?
C’mon! The NBA “experts” know EVERYTHING! Lol. Seriously though, I have read through some scouting reports on many of the projected first-rounders and many of the evaluations do sound a bit underwhelming. That being said, I’m sure there is talent and potential to be had and time will tell (as always) how accurate “today’s” predictions turn out to be.

C’mon! The NBA “experts” know EVERYTHING! Lol. Seriously though, I have read through some scouting reports on many of the projected first-rounders and many of the evaluations do sound a bit underwhelming. That being said, I’m sure there is talent and potential to be had and time will tell (as always) how accurate “today’s” predictions turn out to be.
My point is we just acquired Jabari Parker who was being touted as a superstar for Dewayne freaking Demond and Minnesota just coughed up multiple picks to Get rid of Wiggins. You never know...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This premise always amuses me. Who is the authority on this? The talking heads on Bspn?
Well I pay little or no attention to those talking heads, but at this point in time, when compared to some the past drafts, I would lean hard to it being a weak draft. Of course that's not to say there won't be a couple of surprises that come out of this class, but as a comparison, if Edwards was in the same class with Doncic, Young, Bagley, Ayton, Jackson, Porter etc. he probably would have been drafted aroung the 6th or 7th spot, whereas right now many consider him the number one pick in this class.

Of course Edwards might end up being as good or better than some of those players. Frankly, I like some of the players that are projected in the late lottery better than some of those at the top. Players like Toppin, Bey, Haliburton and Reed, although Toppin has been moving up. But if you were to ask me who out of this draft will end up being a superstar, I honestly couldn't give you a name. If Edwards is coachable, and willing to put in the work, the sky's the limit for him. But those are big if's.

Well I pay little or no attention to those talking heads, but at this point in time, when compared to some the past drafts, I would lean hard to it being a weak draft. Of course that's not to say there won't be a couple of surprises that come out of this class, but as a comparison, if Edwards was in the same class with Doncic, Young, Bagley, Ayton, Jackson, Porter etc. he probably would have been drafted aroung the 6th or 7th spot, whereas right now many consider him the number one pick in this class.

Of course Edwards might end up being as good or better than some of those players. Frankly, I like some of the players that are projected in the late lottery better than some of those at the top. Players like Toppin, Bey, Haliburton and Reed, although Toppin has been moving up. But if you were to ask me who out of this draft will end up being a superstar, I honestly couldn't give you a name. If Edwards is coachable, and willing to put in the work, the sky's the limit for him. But those are big if's.
To be clear I haven't even taken a sneak peak at this class, I have just don't put much stock on what the media "experts" say.

I actually like this draft for finding winning players—guys who are heavy contributors to playoff teams. But, it’s about managing expectations. It’s virtually guaranteed that the fanbases drafting in the top 5 will be disappointed in 3 years’ time, because there are no apparent franchise saviors here. However, teams drafting 6-18 or 20 are probably going to be pretty happy with their 2020 pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I actually like this draft for finding winning players—guys who are heavy contributors to playoff teams. But, it’s about managing expectations. It’s virtually guaranteed that the fanbases drafting in the top 5 will be disappointed in 3 years’ time, because there are no apparent franchise saviors here. However, teams drafting 6-18 or 20 are probably going to be pretty happy with their 2020 pick.
I think the problem with the top of this draft is that, while there are a few players with a very high ceiling, they also have a lower floor than most of the top players in previous drafts. But I agree with you that it's likely you'll end up with a lot of players taken in this draft between 10 and 30 that will become solid rotation players, and perhaps a few starters as well.

I look at a player like LaMelo Ball, and I see a player that could be a possible all star, or a player that spends his career as a backup PG who can't shoot. I'm not sure how good a player Cole Anthony is. Terrific athlete who pounds the ball a little too much for my liking, and turns the ball over as many times as he gets assists. Yeah, he's averaging 19.8 ppg, but he's taking 17 attempts to do it. He's only shooting 35% overall. So when your looking for something to hang your hat on with him, it becomes difficult. And I could say that about almost everyone in the top ten.

If I had to pick one player out of the so called top ten, that I feel the most confident about it would be Toppin, who is averaging 19.5 ppg, but doing it with 12 attempts a game. When you look at his game log, what you see is consistency from game to game. Does that mean it will translate to the NBA? I don't know, but I like his odds better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So let's take a look at the French, and now German PG, Killian Hayes. Hayes was born in Lakeland Florida, but grew up in Europe, and mostly France, where he started to make a name for himself on the French National Team by winning the MVP award on their FIBA U16 team. He accomplished this by averaging 16.6 ppg, 7 rpg, and 5.1 apg, and leading them to the gold medal. That same year he was invited to the Jordan Brand Classic where he won the co-MVP award.

His father was a star at Penn St. who today would have likely ended up playing in the NBA, but back then he got lost in the shuffle and ended up playing in the European league. Killian's dream was to play his highschool ball in the United States, and then win an All American award by attending a school like Kentucky or Duke. However, his father had different ideas, which included getting his feet wet in the professional European league, thinking it would toughen him up and prepare him better for the NBA.

Killian is a 6'5" PG who can also play SG. He has excellent court vision, and is a very good passer. He has very good handles and a freezing crossover. This season he switched from the French team to a German team where he's averaging 26.8 mpg (a lot for such a young player in the European league), 12.2 ppg, while shooting 45.5% overall, and 39.0% from the three. He's also averaging 90.9% from the free throw line, 6.2 assists and 1.5 steals. That's through his first 10 games.

He's good at pushing the ball up the court, and attacking the basket, where he makes things happen. He's also very good at running the P&R, either in the lane, or from the side. He's a pretty good passer in traffic, at times dazzling you with a pass that almost seems magical. Did I mention that he's a lefty, (you can't have too many left handed players on your team) and that when attacking the basket, he definitely leans hard toward his left hand. That's not to say he can't finish with his right, but doesn't seem nearly as comfortable when doing so.

So far I've liked what I've seen from him defensively. He battles through picks and has good pursuit when beaten off the dribble. In general it takes a pick to free up who he's guarding. He has very good lateral quickness and good instincts, but at times seems to lose focus, or perhaps ball watches a bit too much. He also gambles in the passing lanes a bit too much. But most of his flaws are correctable. It will be interesting to see what his real weight is. I've seen it listed from 178 pounds all the way up to 218 pounds, and many in between. But whatever it is, he isn't afraid of contact.

Here's a video. By the way, the player he says he patterns his game after is James Harden, so his 35 foot jumper is going to need some improvement.

Last edited:
So let's take a look at the French, and now German PG, Killian Hayes. Hayes was born in Lakeland Florida, but grew up in Europe, and mostly France, where he started to make a name for himself on the French National Team by winning the MVP award on their FIBA U16 team. He accomplished this by averaging 16.6 ppg, 7 rpg, and 5.1 apg, and leading them to the gold medal. That same year he was invited to the Jordan Brand Classic where he won the co-MVP award.

His father was a star at Penn St. who today would have likely ended up playing in the NBA, but back then he got lost in the shuffle and ended up playing in the European league. Killian's dream was to play his highschool ball in the United States, and then win an All American award by attending a school like Kentucky or Duke. However, his father had different ideas, which included getting his feet wet in the professional European league, thinking it would toughen him up and prepare him better for the NBA.

Killian is a 6'5" PG who can also play SG. He has excellent court vision, and is a very good passer. He has very good handles and a freezing crossover. This season he switched from the French team to a German team where he's averaging 26.8 mpg (a lot for such a young player in the European league), 12.2 ppg, while shooting 45.5% overall, and 39.0% from the three. He's also averaging 90.9% from the free throw line, 6.2 assists and 1.5 steals. That's through his first 10 games.

He's good at pushing the ball up the court, and attacking the basket, where he makes things happen. He's also very good at running the P&R, either in the lane, or from the side. He's a pretty good passer in traffic, at times dazzling you with a pass that almost seems magical. Did I mention that he's a lefty, (you can't have too many left handed players on your team) and that when attacking the basket, he definitely leans hard toward his left hand. That's not to say he can't finish with his right, but doesn't seem nearly as comfortable when doing so.

So far I've liked what I've seen from him defensively. He battles through picks and has good pursuit when beaten off the dribble. In general it takes a pick to free up who he's guarding. He has very good lateral quickness and good instincts, but at times seems to lose focus, or perhaps ball watches a bit too much. He also gambles in the passing lanes a bit too much. But most of his flaws are correctable. It will be interesting to see what his real weight is. I've seen it listed from 178 pounds all the way up to 218 pounds, and many in between. But whatever it is, he isn't afraid of contact.

Here's a video. By the way, the player he says he patterns his game after is James Harden, so his 35 foot jumper is going to need some improvement.

Based on our current team and assuming Bagley and Holmes are part of the Kings future, I recon a promising combo guard is as big a need as any.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Based on our current team and assuming Bagley and Holmes are part of the Kings future, I recon a promising combo guard is as big a need as any.
With the league going away from 7 foot post players, and flooding the floor with wings that can handle and shoot, I agree with you. Of course you never know how long this current fad will last. I do think this movement is a result of the advent of the three pt shot. So the more players you can have on the floor that can dribble, pass, and shoot, the better. I've always felt that you need a balance between the current trend, and the half court, pound the ball into the post game.

It was somewhat remarkable Monday night to see us play Barnes at center, and the Bucks actually go small to match up against us, because Barnes started hitting three's. No doubt that Lopez had the advantage when the Bucks were on offense, but then they were trading 2pt baskets with 3pt baskets. Of course that only works when your hitting your three's. That said, if the Kings could pick up a 6'5"player in the draft that can shoot the three, is a good passer with vision, and can defend, that would add the depth your looking for.

It’s not much of a highlight video but I like what I see from Hayes, especially the defence in this case.
Unless we jet to the top of the draft, he is a player that I will pay attention to. Bogdan is likely to be resigned but it would be nice to bring up a promising combo guard behind him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It’s not much of a highlight video but I like what I see from Hayes, especially the defence in this case.
Unless we jet to the top of the draft, he is a player that I will pay attention to. Bogdan is likely to be resigned but it would be nice to bring up a promising combo guard behind him.
That's one of the reasons I like Haliburton, who is a similar player, and who just broke his wrist and is out for the rest of the season. Bummer!

That's one of the reasons I like Haliburton, who is a similar player, and who just broke his wrist and is out for the rest of the season. Bummer!
I’ll take a look at Haliburton. Since I moved overseas, I don’t watch near as much basketball especially college. I generally start paying more attention to these draft picks later in the season when I have a better idea of Kings needs and where they might pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Dang, I hadn't heard that. Seems like his stock is high enough for him to declare anyway.
Yeah, I don't think the injury will affect where he's picked. I think most scouts have a good idea of who he is and what he's capable of. That's more than I can say for Anthony Edwards, who most have ranked higher. I don't by the way.

Getting into the clips now, no breaking news or anything but really like Avdija for all the same reasons as everyone else. Haliburton, from what I see, doesn’t overwhelm with athleticism but appears smart and does not make mistakes. Hayes also intrigues, been awhile since we picked a french player.
All three fit our biggest needs IMO, especially the guards that can facilitate, think I’ve had enough of this team drafting bigs.

I think the Kings may have a legitimate shot at drafting Toppin. He seems like he has a skill set that will be well-suited to the NBA, and is conceivably playable at both forward positions.

Last edited:
I think the Kings may have a legitimate shot at drafting Toppin. He seems like he has a skill set that will be well-suited to the NBA, and is playable at both forward positions.
Sam Vecenie has the Kings taking Topppin at 11 in the mock draft he released at the Athletic today. He’s an interesting prospect, for sure, and could be a nice fit.

I think the Kings may have a legitimate shot at drafting Toppin. He seems like he has a skill set that will be well-suited to the NBA, and is conceivably playable at both forward positions.
Yeah just starting to deep dive a bit into some of these prospects and Toppin really stands out as new age big. I'd be curious to what others think of his current handle/playmaking ability on-ball but to me looks like he has enough juice to at least be a threat to take the ball off the dribble and create with it. It's certainly not a strength right now, but I do think its something that can continue to be developed with him showing something in that area.

Shot looks decent enough and I like that he's added that to his arsenal this year hitting 36% on 2.7 attempts per game. Super smooth athlete thats runs the floor in transition with that real long wingspan is pretty enticing too. One of those athletes where everything on the floor looks easy and effortless.

If the shot is real, his PnR game with Fox could be out of this world good. Just has a great understanding of spacing and he's so quick at coming off the screen and has been a great finisher at the rim. Some really fun LU combinations you could do adding him to Holmes/Bagley/Bjelica