Following Potential *2020* Draftees

No, I actually think the positional fit with Wiseman is great. He's a future stretch 5, which would be great next to Bagley. We just gave a huge contract to Dedmon to provide the same thing. My issue is that I don't like spending a top 3 pick on a stretch 5. Wiseman's jumping ability is just poor. He looks like a tremendous athlete, but he's not. Now, the great thing is that pure athleticism has a lot less to do with rim protection than people think, so he can still block and bother a lot of shots. He has good timing and moves his feet well. But, he is going to disappear a lot on the offensive end at the next level. If he slides to 6 or 7, then by all means. But a top 3 pick? No, thank you. I'll keep watching, of course, because Memphis will be on a lot. I just don't see it for Wiseman right now.

Whitney I like a lot, as well. I would be surprised if they took a pure PG, but not shocked at all if they took a combo guard. IOW, Cole Anthony would surprise me, but not Edwards. That's obviously the #1 or #2 pick, though,

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched the Washington/Mt. St. Marys game the other night to get a look at their touted freshman Isiah Stewart. The 6' 9", 250 lb PF/C. He was pretty much as advertised. He's built like a linebacker with long arms which help him guard taller players. And he has serious hops along with very good shotblocking timing. He needs to work on his rebounding fundamentals. He constantly lost position to smaller, weaker players. It wasn't from lack of effort, but lack of fundamentals.

Right now I would comp him as a Holmes type of player. Very good athlete with a non stop motor. He's very good around the basket, currently shooting around 60% overall. However, he appears to have little to no game away from the basket. But, it's early, and he's young. So we'll see where he's at in 10 or so games.

I thought Jaden McDaniels, the brother of Jalen McDaniels, Gotta love how they play with first names just to confuse us, player well. He didn't shoot the three well on this given night, but he has nice form, and his shot looks relaxed and is always on line with the basket. Plus, he had a couple that were halfway down and popped out. Point being, I think he shows potential as a 3 pt shooter. Aside from that, he impressed me with his ball handling, rebounding, and defense, which belies his 6'10", 185 lb body. He also defended well on the perimeter against quicker smaller players and surprised me with his passing ability. There might be something there.

The surprise player was Nahziah Carter, a 6'6", 205 lb SG/SF. This is his junior year, and after being played sparingly his first two years, he suddenly averaging just under 36 minutes a game. He's also averaging 18.5 ppg while shooting 48% overall and 50% from the three. However lets remember that he's only played two games, so those stats are somewhat worthless at this point. That aside, he was very impressive. He's a terrific athlete with an explosive first step off the dribble.

Twice in the game with the ball on the perimeter, he exploded by his defender, and left the earth from about 10 or so feet from the basket which resulted in two of the most spectacular dunks I've seen so far this year. This kid has serious hops. On his first dunk, his head was almost above the basket. However, what really impressed me was his defense. Several times he became isolated on the perimeter against Mt. St. Marys quick little PG who couldn't get past him. He certainly earned his way onto my watch list.

Thought I would do an update on Carter now after 8 games. He's now averaging 31 mpg and 14.6 ppg, while shooting 51.8% overall and 48.0% from the three. He's also averaging 1.8 steals and 6.6 rebounds. So far so good. He's starting to look like the real deal.

Last edited:
Tyrese Halliburton of Iowa State and Myles Powell of Seton Hall were the two most impressive prospects that I watched over Thanksgiving break. Tyrese plays a bit like a UCLA version of Lonzo Ball while Myles Powell plays like Donovan Mitchell. Haliburton is currently slated as a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 5. Powell would be a second round steal.

Tyrese Halliburton of Iowa State and Myles Powell of Seton Hall were the two most impressive prospects that I watched over Thanksgiving break. Tyrese plays a bit like a UCLA version of Lonzo Ball while Myles Powell plays like Donovan Mitchell. Haliburton is currently slated as a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 5. Powell would be a second round steal.
I don't disagree. Still early, so plenty of time to move up, or down. If your looking for a PG, then this is the draft for you. Right now, almost ten of the top twenty players are PG's. Not a lot of big men.

I'm always looking for a dark horse in the draft. Someone you might get in the 2nd rd that turns out to be a starter, or a solid rotational player. The King have a lot of 2nd rd picks in the next two drafts, so without further ado, I'll start with Paul Reed a 6'9", 220 lb PF from DePaul, who by the way is undefeated so far this year. Reed is part of the reason that they're undefeated.

If he so great why is he a 2nd rd pick he asks? Well, first, because he's a Junior and 2nd, because DePaul hasn't been a basketball powerhouse for quite a while, although it plays in the tough Big East Conference. DePaul also has a promising Freshman SF in Romeo Weems. Another player to keep your eye on. While most draft boards have Reek projected as a 2nd rd pick, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go toward the bottom of the 1st rd by years end.

Reed is currently averaging 15.6 ppg in 31 mpg. He's shooting 59.0% overall and 38.9% from the three. He shot 40% from the three last season, so it's not an aberration. Add in 10 rpg, 1.7 steals, and a terrific 3.4 blocks per game, and you might have something here. Reed isn't an elite athlete, but he's a good, fluid athlete who runs the floor well, but what impressed me was his ability to defend the ball on the perimeter as well as in the post. He has good lateral quickness, and instincts.

He has good court awareness. He knows when to cut to the basket and has a nose for the ball. His handles are pretty good for a big man, and he has shown some potential as a passer. I like this kid and see him as one of those players that ends up being better than projected. Here's a video;