Following Potential *2024* Draftees

As of right now, I’ve landed on TDS if we keep our pick. I would take Knecht over him but don’t think he will be there. Part of this selection is based on our timeline and who Monte would realistically take. He gives us a a bit more size, is a good shooter and passer and basically plays high IQ basketball. There are some guard prospects I like but I’d rather use our midlevel on that position if we need that or give Colby a shot at that role.
Tristan da Silva is one of my favorite players in the draft right there with Sheppard. If we keep our pick, he should be an easy choice at #13 unless a team grabs him early

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vecenie has Chomche at 88 on his big board.
The highest I've currently seen him mocked is 30. Several two round mocks don't have him at all. Whether that's because they don't see him being selected or because they aren't sure he'll stay in the draft, I don't know.

If he does stay in the draft, the combine, interviews, and workouts will be huge for him.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I'm intrigued by Chomche, barring him just dominating the pre-draft process, I think it would be malpractice for McNair to take him at 13. He's intriguing in a lot of ways, but he's further away as a prospect than Giannis was coming out, and without the top end upside.

I think in 3 years he could possibly approach early Serge Ibaka levels of play, but it's also likely that he could be the new Bruno Caboclo, who still appears to be "two years away from being two years away" at age 28. . .

Taking a flier on him by trading for a late 1st or possibly moving up in the 2nd (depending on where he's likely to go when all is said & done) to let him develop wouldn't bother me, but for a Kings team that needs to think about how to hopefully make the playoffs AND advance to the 2nd round or more next season he's not a guy who would help in that goal.

This is a weak draft and I'm okay with swinging a little bit if the Kings stay at 13, but that's too big a swing for my tastes.

As much as I'm intrigued by Chomche, barring him just dominating the pre-draft process, I think it would be malpractice for McNair to take him at 13. He's intriguing in a lot of ways, but he's further away as a prospect than Giannis was coming out, and without the top end upside.

I think in 3 years he could possibly approach early Serge Ibaka levels of play, but it's also likely that he could be the new Bruno Caboclo, who still appears to be "two years away from being two years away" at age 28. . .

Taking a flier on him by trading for a late 1st or possibly moving up in the 2nd (depending on where he's likely to go when all is said & done) to let him develop wouldn't bother me, but for a Kings team that needs to think about how to hopefully make the playoffs AND advance to the 2nd round or more next season he's not a guy who would help in that goal.

This is a weak draft and I'm okay with swinging a little bit if the Kings stay at 13, but that's too big a swing for my tastes.

Wait a minute. Didn't Giannis grow 4-5" after he was drafted? And this kid is further away than that?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait a minute. Didn't Giannis grow 4-5" after he was drafted? And this kid is further away than that?
AFAIK, Giannis grew 2 inches, from 6'9" to 6'11".

Plus Giannis looked like a stick figure coming into the league, whereas Chomche already has an NBA build that he can probably put more muscle onto.
Physically, sure Chomche is ahead of Giannis at around the same age (Giannis was slightly younger going into the draft), but I'm talking about skill development.

And even if we want to talk about builds, Giannis is a complete outlier. Most guys (and defintely most star players) gain considerable strength and size a few years into the NBA, but almost no one makes the transformation that Giannis did.

But in terms of skill, despite playing against admittedly weak competition, Giannis showed major flashes of ballhandling, passing, scoring, rebounding, and defending.

By comparison, Chomche is playing at even lower levels of competition and still very much looks like a kid who first picked up a basketball 5 years ago.

I really like him as a long term project prospect, so I'm not trying to badmouth the kid, but he's likely not ready for NCAA competition right now, let alone the NBA. So whichever team drafts him (assuming he stays in the draft and gets drafted) will need to be really patient and be okay with him not contributing much if anything for a year or two.

Sam on Chomche

“The intersection of size and athleticism is real, but he’s far too raw at this stage. I don’t think I would even feel great about him opening next season as a starting big at a high-major college. Chomche is still really learning and developing his feel for the game. He often looked a bit lost on defense in ball-screen coverages and in communicating with his teammates. He also chased nearly everything around the rim, leading to offensive rebounds or fouls.”

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's too bad with everything else completely broken in the NCAA that teams can't draft a player in college and then have them play another year or two there like happens in the NHL and maybe baseball(?).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's too bad with everything else completely broken in the NCAA that teams can't draft a player in college and then have them play another year or two there like happens in the NHL and maybe baseball(?).
I don't know anything about hockey, but I'm pretty sure a player who is drafted in baseball and signs with the team is no longer eligible for college. If a player is drafted but doesn't sign, they can return to college but the drafting team does not retain their draft rights. Like, there aren't any dudes pitching for Vanderbilt who are contractually tied to say the Philadelphia Phillies - they go back into the draft to enter MLB.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I feel like when I've watched College World Series before they note that a player has been selected by a team, I know that players get drafted out of high school and if they don't sign a minor league deal they can play college and won't be eligible for 3 years after. I think. I do know also if a player doesn't sign they will re-enter the draft (JD Drew, famously yeah?)

College hockey, which is pretty much my main tie to my alumni association, players can declare and get drafted in Juniors or College Hockey and if the team that selects them would like, they still can use remaining eligibility in either. When you watch the Frozen Four there's usually a mix of guys that are already on pro teams as well as the top freshmen who are often one and done. Hockey also at least used to have a weird re-draft rule if a guy refused to sign with the club that drafted him, as Eric Lindros nearly did.

Wild that Drew and Lindros were both quality players but nowhere near generational pro talent at the end of their career.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I feel like when I've watched College World Series before they note that a player has been selected by a team, I know that players get drafted out of high school and if they don't sign a minor league deal they can play college and won't be eligible for 3 years after. I think. I do know also if a player doesn't sign they will re-enter the draft (JD Drew, famously yeah?)

College hockey, which is pretty much my main tie to my alumni association, players can declare and get drafted in Juniors or College Hockey and if the team that selects them would like, they still can use remaining eligibility in either. When you watch the Frozen Four there's usually a mix of guys that are already on pro teams as well as the top freshmen who are often one and done. Hockey also at least used to have a weird re-draft rule if a guy refused to sign with the club that drafted him, as Eric Lindros nearly did.

Wild that Drew and Lindros were both quality players but nowhere near generational pro talent at the end of their career.
I believe what you're recalling is that the MLB draft used to be held a week or two before the college world series so it was not uncommon to see drafted players still competing for their college teams for that event. It looks like this years draft is in July though, so that will no longer be the case.

It's funny you mention the way the NHL handles their draft because I was surprised to discover this fact just a couple weeks ago when I decided to see how the Sharks are doing (oof) and figured they must have drafted someone worth following if they're that bad. I agree that this is a more sensible way to handle drafted prospects, particularly 18 and 19 year olds, than calling them pro's right away and throwing them into a league they likely aren't ready for.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I believe what you're recalling is that the MLB draft used to be held a week or two before the college world series so it was not uncommon to see drafted players still competing for their college teams for that event. It looks like this years draft is in July though, so that will no longer be the case.

It's funny you mention the way the NHL handles their draft because I was surprised to discover this fact just a couple weeks ago when I decided to see how the Sharks are doing (oof) and figured they must have drafted someone worth following if they're that bad. I agree that this is a more sensible way to handle drafted prospects, particularly 18 and 19 year olds, than calling them pro's right away and throwing them into a league they likely aren't ready for.
Especially with NIL money being what it is now, a player could enter and be selected and the team could say "hey, we really like you and will sign you but instead of joining our G-League team why don't you stay another year at school?"

Certainly being a high NBA prospect in college has to be a way, way, way more awesome life than being a Stockton King.

My big board for the Kings is currently as follows:

1)Knecht - still holding out a bit of hope he falls to say 10 and we trade up

2)TDS - does a little bit of everything and gives us more size at our weakest position

3) Devin Carter- I know, another combo guard and admittedly I had never heard of him until last week haha but the dude is a baller. Keon Ellis level defense but he is built stonger. 6’3 but with a 6’9 wingspan. 8 boards a game as a guard is crazy. This pick would only be if monk has said he is leaving. Using a lottery kick on a combo guard is not my preference but I’m not using it on a center and probably not on a 3 year project either. This pick needs to help us either in a trade or on the court. I also would prefer to give Colby a shot but if Monte is not as high on TDS I’d like him to at least look at this guy.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
My big board for the Kings is currently as follows:

1)Knecht - still holding out a bit of hope he falls to say 10 and we trade up

2)TDS - does a little bit of everything and gives us more size at our weakest position

3) Devin Carter- I know, another combo guard and admittedly I had never heard of him until last week haha but the dude is a baller. Keon Ellis level defense but he is a built stonger. 6’3 but had a 6’9 wingspan. 8 boards a game as a guard is crazy. This pick would only be if monk has said he is leaving. Using a lottery kick on a combo guard is not my preference but I’m not using it on a center and probably not on a 3 year project either. This pick needs to help us either in a trade or on the court. I also would prefer to give Colby a shot but if Monte is not as high on TDS I’d like him to at least look at this guy.
his dad also was an assistant for us for a season and played for the Spurs when Mike Brown was an assistant there so it was meant to be!

I seldom disagree with you, but on Chomche, I do disagree.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Giannis was a 19 yr old who was skinny as a rail and had limited skills at the time. He couldn't shoot the three and had little to no midrange game. He was an elite athlete and a good finisher. He was taken with the 15th pick in the draft and I'd venture to say that most people didn't know who the hell he was. He averaged just under 7 pt's a game his first year in the league. A lot of teams, including us, passed on him for the very reasons you just laid out about Chomche.

Chomche is also a mostly unknown player, and he's 18 years old, and the youngest player in the draft, at 6'11" and 240 lb's. He can already shoot the three and has a midrange game. He's a better shotblocker and rebounder in the same time period. His handles are about the same as Giannis, but he's already a better passer than Giannis was. My point is, how many of those teams that passed on Giannis because they thought he was a reach dearly regret it now. Giannis grew two inches after entering the league at 19. It's possible that Chomche isn't done growing as well.

Look, I could be wrong. I'll admit that I go on my gut a lot when I watch a player play, and that matters more to me than the opinion on other mock drafts. I could care less what the other mocks say. The idea that a player I really like is a reach because other mock drafts have him low on their boards is ridiculous to me. But hey, it's just my opinion that's worth what you paid for it. By the way, Chomche isn't the only player I like. I'm going to do a mock that will be in the order that I like a player, and not the likely order that will happen on draft day.

Sleeper time:

Ben Humrichous: PF, 6'9", 220 Lb's, Senior, Evansville
29.6 mpg - 14.7 ppg - 48.4% fgp - 41.4% 3pp - 75.7% ftp - 4.7 rpg - 1.9 apg - 0.7 stl's - 0.9 blk''s

Humrichous is another player that's flying under the radar and he has had a very interesting jouney to get where he is right now. I won't go into the whole story, but his first love was baseball, and he was very good at it. He also played basketball and played SG. Then he suddenly had a growth spurt that eventually ended at 6'9". There aren't a lot of 6'9" baseball players, so he put all his energy and attention into basketball. He's a very smart player, and by that, I mean really smart. He's a math major and loves numbers.

He says that his early years in basketball as a SG have made my a better PF because he retained his ballhandling and passing skills. The main skill that stands out is his shooting. He's a lights out 3pt shooter. He's outstanding on catch and shoots, but also shoots the ball well coming off pin downs, DHO's, and closeouts. Where he surprised me was on defense. While he doesn't get a lot of steals, he's very good at keeping his man in front of him sliding his feet laterally. He uses his length well on smaller players.

Of course the quality of competition has to enter into the discussion. He's only played on year at a division one school and that was in a mid-level conference. One thing that should translate though, is his shooting. At best he's a 2nd rd pick, and may go undrafted. But I'd certainly take a look at him for my G-League team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seldom disagree with you, but on Chomche, I do disagree.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Giannis was a 19 yr old who was skinny as a rail and had limited skills at the time. He couldn't shoot the three and had little to no midrange game. He was an elite athlete and a good finisher. He was taken with the 15th pick in the draft and I'd venture to say that most people didn't know who the hell he was. He averaged just under 7 pt's a game his first year in the league. A lot of teams, including us, passed on him for the very reasons you just laid out about Chomche.

Chomche is also a mostly unknown player, and he's 18 years old, and the youngest player in the draft, at 6'11" and 240 lb's. He can already shoot the three and has a midrange game. He's a better shotblocker and rebounder in the same time period. His handles are about the same as Giannis, but he's already a better passer than Giannis was. My point is, how many of those teams that passed on Giannis because they thought he was a reach dearly regret it now. Giannis grew two inches after entering the league at 19. It's possible that Chomche isn't done growing as well.

Look, I could be wrong. I'll admit that I go on my gut a lot when I watch a player play, and that matters more to me than the opinion on other mock drafts. I could care less what the other mocks say. The idea that a player I really like is a reach because other mock drafts have him low on their boards is ridiculous to me. But hey, it's just my opinion that's worth what you paid for it. By the way, Chomche isn't the only player I like. I'm going to do a mock that will be in the order that I like a player, and not the likely order that will happen on draft day.
Looking forward to your mock Baja!

And I'm not going to push back too much on Chomche - I really like the kid, and I think in time he could possibly be a great fit next to Sabonis. He gives me some young Serge Ibaka vibes in terms of his possible upside.

But I will say that I think you're shortchanging Giannis (the prospect) a bit. He was a pretty good ball handler and passed who was drafted with some point forward ability to go along with his athletic tools. The shot wasn't there at all, but his mechanics weren't terrible.

Some people forget that Giannis showed signs of becoming a pretty good shooter his first couple seasons. Then his shot fell apart (too much "doctoring" of his form maybe) and he got so big & strong while being long & explosive that he didn't really need to shoot.

As for Chomche, I think Tankathon has him going 30th to Boston in their mock. That's as high as I've seen him so far and I think that's too low, especially in this draft.

If he keeps his name in I think he has a strong chance to in rise up boards quickly.