Following Potential *2020* Draftees

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Seven minute highlight film...don’t think I saw a single defensive highlight. Not a great sign, in my book. Seems like a taller Kyle Guy; which, hey, a taller Kyle Guy probably sticks with the big club all year instead of bouncing back and forth between Stockton. So, there’s that.
All I'll say is this. Gonzaga is a very good defensive team and is every year. So as a team defender I think Kispert is fine. He's a smart player as well. So I don't think he'll be this giant liability. As I said, Larry Bird wasn't a great athlete, but he turned out to be a very good defender. That said, he's a very skilled player who I think could be an excellent player to have on your bench. I'am talking 2nd rd here! As to the Guy comparison, the only comp I see is their shooting. Kispert is 6'7" and 220 pounds with an NBA build. He's oversized for the SG position and certainly legit size for the SF position. I can't say the same for Guy.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When I did my mock draft, which is subject to change once the proper order is set, and since I've had a lot of time to watch film, I chose Saddiq Bey, the 6'8" SF out of Villanova. I believe in another post I said I would be happy with any of three players, Bey, Aaron Nesmith, and Devin Vassell. Of those three, the one I think that is less likely to be there is Vassell, and I would choose him first out of the three, now that I've had the time to take a long look at him.

Devin Vassell: 6'7", 198 Lb's, Florida St., SF/SG, Soph.
28.7 mpg - 12.7 ppg - 49,0% fgp - 41.5% 3pp - 73.8% ftp - 5.1 rpg - 1.6 apg - 1.4 spg - 1.0 bpg.

While Vassell put up great numbers stat wise offensively, what makes him most attractive is his defense. Some NBA scouts think he's the best defensive player in the draft. Vassell, while a good athlete, is not a great or elite athlete. However, he has above average lateral quickness, and most of all great instincts to go along with excellent defensive BBIQ. He's able to read plays before they happen and is an outstanding weak side help defender. In team defense he always seems to be in the right spot, and making the right switch at the right time. In time, he should be able to guard 3 or 4 positions.

Offensively he's no slouch either. As posted, he shot 41.5% from the three, and while close to 80% of his shots were assisted, he's quite capable of creating his own shot. He has an excellent mid-range game with floaters and pull up fade away jumpers. He shot 71% at the rim, so he's a good finisher. He has a very high release on his jump shot along with good vertical, making it very difficult to block. Of the three players I mentioned as my choice, Vassell is the most likely to be a star and a starter in the NBA. That doesn't mean the others won't, it simply means that if I had to bet, he would be my choice.

I can't verify it, but Vassell is reported to have a 7 foot wingspan. He can't outrun Fox, but he runs the floor hard and has a nose for the ball. It's also reported that he's a gym rat and is constantly working on his game. The one quality all three of the players I mentioned have, is the ability to step in and contribute right away, which is what I think the Kings need. Bear in mind, these three players are my choice if the Kings remain at the 12th pick in the draft. If the Kings get lucky and move up, then we'll have a do over.

Here's another video showing Vassell's defensive abilities:

When I did my mock draft, which is subject to change once the proper order is set, and since I've had a lot of time to watch film, I chose Saddiq Bey, the 6'8" SF out of Villanova. I believe in another post I said I would be happy with any of three players, Bey, Aaron Nesmith, and Devin Vassell. Of those three, the one I think that is less likely to be there is Vassell, and I would choose him first out of the three, now that I've had the time to take a long look at him.

28.7 mpg - 12.7 ppg - 49,0% fgp - 41.5% 3pp - 73.8% ftp - 5.1 rpg - 1.6 apg - 1.4 spg - 1.0 bpg.

While Vassell put up great numbers stat wise offensively, what makes him most attractive is his defense. Some NBA scouts think he's the best defensive player in the draft. Vassell, while a good athlete, is not a great or elite athlete. However, he has above average lateral quickness, and most of all great instincts to go along with excellent defensive BBIQ. He's able to read plays before they happen and is an outstanding weak side help defender. In team defense he always seems to be in the right spot, and making the right switch at the right time. In time, he should be able to guard 3 or 4 positions.

Offensively he's no slouch either. As posted, he shot 41.5% from the three, and while close to 80% of his shots were assisted, he's quite capable of creating his own shot. He has an excellent mid-range game with floaters and pull up fade away jumpers. He shot 71% at the rim, so he's a good finisher. He has a very high release on his jump shot along with good vertical, making it very difficult to block. Of the three players I mentioned as my choice, Vassell is the most likely to be a star and a starter in the NBA. That doesn't mean the others won't, it simply means that if I had to bet, he would be my choice.

I can't verify it, but Vassell is reported to have a 7 foot wingspan. He can't outrun Fox, but he runs the floor hard and has a nose for the ball. It's also reported that he's a gym rat and is constantly working on his game. The one quality all three of the players I mentioned have, is the ability to step in and contribute right away, which is what I think the Kings need. Bear in mind, these three players are my choice if the Kings remain at the 12th pick in the draft. If the Kings get lucky and move up, then we'll have a do over.

These late lottery picks are tricky so as always I admire your effort. Its easy to look at Vassell’s size 6’7” <200 lbs and wonder how he will fair against big SF‘s. I thought that of both the Bridges that came out a couple years ago and still not sure about them but then think of Kawhi who was basically the same size entering the draft. I’ll take your word for it on this kids defence abilities and look forward to the draft.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
These late lottery picks are tricky so as always I admire your effort. Its easy to look at Vassell’s size 6’7” <200 lbs and wonder how he will fair against big SF‘s. I thought that of both the Bridges that came out a couple years ago and still not sure about them but then think of Kawhi who was basically the same size entering the draft. I’ll take your word for it on this kids defence abilities and look forward to the draft.
I think what set Kawhi apart along with his abilities, was his great wingspan, and if you look at the majority of the good to great defensive players, they all share that same quality. As does Vassell. I think Kawhi is a little better athlete than Vassell, but aside from that, they're fairly equal at the same point in time. That's not to say that Vassell is the next coming of Leonard.

Lets remember that Leonard was the 15th pick in his draft and while a lot of GM's liked him, I doubt many, if any, thought he would become the player he is today. So you never know. It's easy to speculate about a players ceiling, but for the most part, except for the rare player, it's fools gold. I prefer to look at a players floor as a more solid base for speculation. But at the end of the day, it's subjective.

Most NBA scouts have their checklist and so do I. Mine has evolved over the years of doing this. It's easy to boast about the one's you got right, but the one's that you get wrong are more important because it gives you a chance to look at where your mistake was, and it helps you in the future. But nothing is fool proof, and I play my part of the fool on occasion.

The defensive tools are super intriguing as wing defense is one of the most important skill-sets a team needs to be successful. But I also like the fact that I think you could plug Vassell in on offense and he would find a way to contribute without taking possessions, similar to how Richaun Holmes makes an impact offensively on minimal possessions. On a team with Fox, Buddy, Bogi and Bagley, it'd be difficult to add another real high USG player without stepping on some toes. Vassell looks like an absolute glove fit with the core while filling a valuable role as a spacer and wing defender. If you believe in the above 4 as the core, he's the type of player you want to surround them with.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If your interested in watching a 40 minute film breakdown of Aaron Nesmith's game in a session with Mike Schmitz and Nesmith, this is for you. It covers Nesmith's offensive and defensive pluses and minuses. Enjoy!