Evans for Vasquez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think you're overreacting. Paging Dr. Bricklayer :

You and I are if the same mind about the offseason so far, can you talk me down?

Can you give me a scenario where we don't have three more 28 win seasons, waste Cousins prime years and wait for PDA to be fired?
Sure. Here's what to watch for:

1) Cousins. Full stop. He is now officially more talented than the entire rest of the team put together. As in if you offered me a 1 on 1 trade, Cousins, or everybody else, I take Cousins and fill the rest of my roster out with kids from the neighborhood. Its all about him now. If he responds in bigtime fashion then you have a 20+ 10+ monster inside, and that's good for some wins itself.

2) the capspace we retained with this Reke move. It would insane to the point of PDA needing to be fired immediately if we just dumped Reke for capspace without a pretty good target to use it on. So I have to believe that we have one or more scenarios in mind whereby we add a major player or players to the team on big contracts, using our ability to absorb salary now as a weapon. Depending on who those players are, and whether we are right about having a shot at them, the outlook could change for the better in a hurry.

I'm not going to go into maybe McLemore deserved all the "we got Lebron!" celebrating the front office was doing on draft day because I don't believe it. But let's just say that a) Cousins realizes his inner monster, and b) we got Rudy Gay or somebody out of the capspace. Well, all of a sudden that team has hope. So there, you needed a scenario to grasp hold of, try that one to size. Just as long as you know that saying it comes with no guarantees is an understatement. :p

Cousins. Full stop. He is now officially more talented than the entire rest of the team put together. As in if you offered me a 1 on 1 trade, Cousins, or everybody else, I take Cousins and fill the rest of my roster out with kids from the neighborhood.
LOL. Awesome, and totally true

For anyone wondering if the Kings will just sit on this new cap space...

This year the salary cap floor raised to 90% of the cap which means we need a payroll of at least $52.65 million. Currently after this trade we are at about $46 million so we will be required to add at least another $6 million+ to meet the minimum. Let's just hope that they use the space wisely and find a way to get that impact SF that we now desperately need.

For anyone wondering if the Kings will just sit on this new cap space...

This year the salary cap floor raised to 90% of the cap which means we need a payroll of at least $52.65 million. Currently after this trade we are at about $46 million so we will be required to add at least another $6 million+ to meet the minimum. Let's just hope that they use the space wisely and find a way to get that impact SF that we now desperately need.
oh god i hope we dont end up with more Chuck Hayes/Travis Outlaw signings

Wow the hypocrisy going on is reaching new levels. Tyreke will never be a star, but McLemore will be a star prototypical SG. Funny, because last I checked the star SGs in the league all created for themselves off the dribble. Jordan, Kobe, Wade, even Joe Johnson. Tyreke sucks and doesn't make his team mates better, but Vasquez will here (and he hasn't even played a single game with us!). I think Vasquez is a good player, and that he brings much needed qualities and skills to the Kings. Similarly, Evans leaving takes away much needed qualities and skills. I have no frikin idea how any of you can act as if you can predict the future so very well. The point is you can't compare the two, nor the impact that they will have/ could have had. Are you sure that Vasquez would have made others better in Smart's system? Are you sure we would have won more games with him instead of Evans? Same goes the other way, I have my reasons to believe that Evans was the best way to go going forward, but I am not so confident that I would trash Vasquez over it or act as if it was a surefire thing. As for those who agreed with the idea of Tyreke going forward but weren't willing to risk 11mil that's fine and I can totally understand. We each have different risk appetities and differing opinions on a player's talent. But unlike some of you I'm not going to bash any of the players. Evans has been a true professional and the lack of appreciation from a select few is disgusting. And those calling themselves objective when they are being ever so subjective are the biggest hypocrites ever.

I'm just going to sit back and reserve my judgment.

Someone said it best a couple of pages back. You could easily, easily replace Evans' name with Cousins and say all the same things (to a lesser extent of course, no doubt that Cousins is the more talented player). Doesn't make his team mates better, isn't a winner, team hasn't won with him, will never be a star due to this reason and that reason, poor defender blablablabla, average NBA fan doesn't think he's that great ...

I like Baja's approach in all of this. I had hoped for a certain outcome but didn't get it. Let's wait and see what happens, and not resort to trashing incoming or outgoing players.

Last edited:
oh god i hope we dont end up with more Chuck Hayes/Travis Outlaw signings

That's my worst nightmare as well! If they were to amnesty Salmons they would need about $14.27 million to reach the minimum. With this in mind, I would offer Iguodala a few more million than the reported 4 years $52 million that he was considering before, however front-load it to diminish the risk of him declining. It would look like this - Year 1 - $14.45, Year 2 - $13.8, Year 3 - $13.2, Year 4 - $12.6 = Total of $54 million (I rounded the yearly numbers off a bit). I think this may be the best offer he may get and also deter some of the people that were against paying an "aging" Iggy so much at 33 years old. We would also have another $6 million to hopefully add a defensive role-playing big this offseason. Thoughts?

Last edited:
That's my worst nightmare as well! If they were to amnesty Salmons they would need about $14.27 million to reach the minimum. With this in mind, I would offer Iguodala a few more million than the reported 4 years $52 million that he was considering before, however front-load it to diminish the risk of him declining. It would look like this - Year 1 - $14.45, Year 2 - $13.8, Year 3 - $13.2, Year 4 - $12.6 = Total of $54 million. I think this may be the best offer he may get and also deter some of the people that were against paying an "aging" Iggy so much at 33 years old. We would also have another $6 million to hopefully add a defensive role-playing big this offseason. Thoughts?
better than the current roster situation. if we go into next season with John Salmons at the starting SF im gonna go insane

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3h
Calderon turned down Kings offer within past hour, ultimately deciding against a full-blown rebuilding project, sources tell Y!

Is this what Calderon was told, we're going into rebuild mode?
When we have new owners, a new GM, a new coach, and we have traded away one of our main cogs, it seems pretty obvious. That's as much of a rebuild as I could imagine short of dumping DMC.

This is partially why I wanted a known coach or a known GM. We have a lot of rookies in management and it's not hard to understand why people would look at us with skepticism.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

You and I are if the same mind about the offseason so far, can you talk me down?

Can you give me a scenario where we don't have three more 28 win seasons, waste Cousins prime years and wait for PDA to be fired?
Heh, there's always Andrew Wiggins. Yay draft lottery! And, umm, how about those A's huh?

Sure. Here's what to watch for:

1) Cousins. Full stop. He is now officially more talented than the entire rest of the team put together. As in if you offered me a 1 on 1 trade, Cousins, or everybody else, I take Cousins and fill the rest of my roster out with kids from the neighborhood. Its all about him now. If he responds in bigtime fashion then you have a 20+ 10+ monster inside, and that's good for some wins itself.

2) the capspace we retained with this Reke move. It would insane to the point of PDA needing to be fired immediately if we just dumped Reke for capspace without a pretty good target to use it on. So I have to believe that we have one or more scenarios in mind whereby we add a major player or players to the team on big contracts, using our ability to absorb salary now as a weapon. Depending on who those players are, and whether we are right about having a shot at them, the outlook could change for the better in a hurry.

I'm not going to go into maybe McLemore deserved all the "we got Lebron!" celebrating the front office was doing on draft day because I don't believe it. But let's just say that a) Cousins realizes his inner monster, and b) we got Rudy Gay or somebody out of the capspace. Well, all of a sudden that team has hope. So there, you needed a scenario to grasp hold of, try that one to size. Just as long as you know that saying it comes with no guarantees is an understatement. :p
The offer to Calderon was such a red flag to me. Four years of watching Raptors fans trying to trade him on realgm try to trade him because he can't guard a chair, and he turns us down. It's the Mikki Moore rule - never make fun of a player because the Kings will end up signing him.

What I don't see anyone addressing is the fact that our best trade asset just left for another guard.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Cousins is probably 3-4 years from even entering his prime. I think we forget he is 21 years old.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The offer to Calderon was such a red flag to me. Four years of watching Raptors fans trying to trade him on realgm try to trade him because he can't guard a chair, and he turns us down. It's the Mikki Moore rule - never make fun of a player because the Kings will end up signing him.

What I don't see anyone addressing is the fact that our best trade asset just left for another guard.
That's because our best trade asset didn't just leave for another guard. He left for a big payday. Since we weren't going to match it, the fact we got anything back is a plus.

You're right, he would have been a great trade asset two seasons ago or last season. But this summer, as a RFA, not so much.

Entity

Hall of Famer
well I am sure we will get some more news here in about 4 hours. for some reason our biggest news hits in the wee hours of the morning around midnight pacific time. strange.

He ceased being a trade asset when he accepted that $11m deal. No other team was interested in him with that salary.

You think if we matched that teams would be suddenly be lining up to trade for him? Also don't forget that NO was/is going to lay that contract with landmines such as a trade kicker.

He ceased being a trade asset when he accepted that $11m deal. No other team was interested in him with that salary.

You think if we matched that teams would be suddenly be lining up to trade for him? Also don't forget that NO was/is going to lay that contract with landmines such as a trade kicker.
You hit the nail on the head. While I hate to see Tyreke go, New Orleans is playing with fire and really banking on Evans potential. If he doesn't work out there it is going to be very difficult for them to get equal value in trade as he would have failed to reach his potential for 2 different teams. Remember, the NO offer was the only one reportedly on the table which tells me that teams like Detroit and Atlanta wanted nothing to do with him at that price and he plays a position of need for both teams.

Entity

Hall of Famer
as far as Evans goes. I am guessing he is somewhere right now doing a facepalm shaking his head saying why in the hell did i do this.

as far as Evans goes. I am guessing he is somewhere right now doing a facepalm shaking his head saying why in the hell did i do this.
solid point. leaving his nice new mansion in Rocklin to live in New Orleans. yikes. and coming off the bench on top of that!

although with the way Eric Gordon gets injured he will probably start more games than not

I'm going to no longer read this thread, it's simply stupid. All the criticism on July 4 of a work yet completed is not only nearsighted, it's retarded. Bashing the Kings' FO is moronic at this point and makes you look like a complete idiot. WAIT until the work in progress is done before casting judgment........PERIOD. I'm sure it's going to come as a surprise to some, but D'Allesandro knows more than the morons who seem to think they know more. You don't, period. You are a salesman, or an accountant, fill in the blank, but you're NOT a GM. These guys know what they're doing, you don't. Shut the yapper.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Maybe, but I still think the Holiday/Gordon/Reke trio is short term. Gordon was on the trade block in Jan and again rumors popped up last week of June he was on the block again. Then they went all in on Reke. Since the have now signed him and let Lopez go, they have a serious lack of depth up front and they also want a SF. With Reke's contract they now can't solve those issues all that well until they move Gordon.

I'd guess they prefer Reke to Gordon, want a Reke/Holiday backcourt and since Reke was willing to come off the bench they'll do that until they move Gordon. 29M per year between Gordon/Reke alone simply doesn't make sense, especially when you're also paying Holiday big money and have major holes elsewhere and Davis who'll be a max player.

Last edited:
I'm going to no longer read this thread, it's simply stupid. All the criticism on July 4 of a work yet completed is not only nearsighted, it's retarded. Bashing the Kings' FO is moronic at this point and makes you look like a complete idiot. WAIT until the work in progress is done before casting judgment........PERIOD. I'm sure it's going to come as a surprise to some, but D'Allesandro knows more than the morons who seem to think they know more. You don't, period. You are a salesman, or an accountant, fill in the blank, but you're NOT a GM. These guys know what they're doing, you don't. Shut the yapper.
So you are saying that all GMs should never be criticized for any of the work they do? All coaches should never be criticized? So I'm assuming you don't care about government policies when voting right? Hey, they know what they're doing, normal people don't! Hey let's not criticize the banks that led to the economic crisis, they knew what they were doing! It's one thing to say wait and see what happens, and I agree with you there. But "I'm sure it's going to come as a surprise to some, but D'Allesandro knows more than the morons who seem to think they know more. You don't, period. You are a salesman, or an accountant, fill in the blank, but you're NOT a GM. These guys know what they're doing, you don't. Shut the yapper" is absolute BS.

If anything, a GM position should actually be easier for an average person to do than any other job, at least as far as simply theoretically assembling a team with regards to cap space and the like goes. You can't be a good lawyer if you didn't go through law school and aren't familiar with the laws and standards. You don't need to be an NBA scout to evaluate basketball talent.

Maybe, but I still think the Holiday/Gordon/Reke trio is short term. Gordon was on the trade block in Jan and again rumors popped up last week of June he was on the block again. Then they went all in on Reke. Since the have now signed him and let Lopez go, they have a serious lack of depth up front and they also want a SF. With Reke's contract they now can't solve those issues all that well until they move Gordon.

I'd guess they prefer Reke to Gordon, want a Reke/Holiday backcourt and since Reke was willing to come off the bench they'll do that until they move Gordon. 29M per year between Gordon/Reke alone simply doesn't make sense, especially when you're also paying Holiday big money and have major holes elsewhere and Davis who'll be a max player.
Gorden/Evans will turn out to be MT/Evans or K-Mart/Evans. You know just by the type of players they will be playing with if it's going to work or not.

I'm not even all that convinced that Jrue can work with Evans, but I guess it's not my issue anymore. Anyway, Gordon will probably be history at the trade deadline (if not sooner).

So you are saying that all GMs should never be criticized for any of the work they do? All coaches should never be criticized? So I'm assuming you don't care about government policies when voting right? Hey, they know what they're doing, normal people don't! Hey let's not criticize the banks that led to the economic crisis, they knew what they were doing! It's one thing to say wait and see what happens, and I agree with you there. But "I'm sure it's going to come as a surprise to some, but D'Allesandro knows more than the morons who seem to think they know more. You don't, period. You are a salesman, or an accountant, fill in the blank, but you're NOT a GM. These guys know what they're doing, you don't. Shut the yapper" is absolute BS.

If anything, a GM position should actually be easier for an average person to do than any other job, at least as far as simply theoretically assembling a team with regards to cap space and the like goes. You can't be a good lawyer if you didn't go through law school and aren't familiar with the laws and standards. You don't need to be an NBA scout to evaluate basketball talent.
In regards to being the GM most of us here had better drafts than Petrie did in the last 6-7 years so I don't lend much credence to GMs being the end all, know all.. Coaches on the other hand...... I don't think we know more than Smart does. Those people live basketball and dream basketball. There's no way we know more than them even though it's easy to criticize them for almost anything. Coaching is a lot more than just setting rotations and telling players to go out there and play.

I think I would be a good rotation man if that's all it took to be a coach though :)

If anything, a GM position should actually be easier for an average person to do than any other job, at least as far as simply theoretically assembling a team with regards to cap space and the like goes.
Really? When was the last time "Bob from Galt" was picked up for a GM position in the NBA? Do you REALLY think "it's easier for the average person than any other job"? I actually agree with some of your post, and maybe I'm misunderstanding that particular point, but it sounds like childish gibberish.

I think him going to New Orleans shows that there wasn't as much interest in Tyreke as originally thought. So here his crew of brothers(he never really said anything), said that Tyreke needs the ball, and that he shouldn't be a sixth man. Now he is going to a team that just acquired a ball dominant pg in Holiday, a volume scorer in Gordon, and another ball dominant project in Rivers. Best of luck to him, but i just can't see him "breaking out" playing with those guys. Hopefully NO realizes Tyreke is best off the ball.

I think him going to New Orleans shows that there wasn't as much interest in Tyreke as originally thought. So here his crew of brothers(he never really said anything), said that Tyreke needs the ball, and that he shouldn't be a sixth man. Now he is going to a team that just acquired a ball dominant pg in Holiday, a volume scorer in Gordon, and another ball dominant project in Rivers. Best of luck to him, but i just can't see him "breaking out" playing with those guys. Hopefully NO realizes Tyreke is best off the ball.
Totally agree. He just signed with a team where he IS the sixth man and I'd be willing to bet will be asked to be their SF until Gordon finally breaks for good. Unfortunately I think Tyreke may have played a game of dare that he just lost, which is too bad.

"Vasquez, 26, averaged 13.9 points, 9.0 assists and 4.3 rebounds last season. He was third in the league in assists per game."

"Vasquez was third in the league in assists behind injured Boston Celtics star Rajon Rondo and Most Valuable Player candidate Chris Paul of the Los Angeles Clippers."

Not bad company, IMHO.

I think we are REALLY going to enjoy having this guy on the Kings. His stats aren't far off Tyreke's, but for his assists, which is a HUGE plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.