Espns first mock draft: Kings taking Julian Wright

That's an apt comparison and good analysis. I always evaluate those two as SFs, but they're hard to define.
And there is no reason why Yi cannot be the same! He is pretty skinny but he has the frame that will allows him to beef up a bit more and be strong enough to play in the post.

I think there are some people on this board (this statement is not directed at you) that are extremely sceptical about anyone that comes outside the College system which IMHO is a bit ignorant. Some people act as if no one else in the world can't play basketball other than Americans.

Yi is a great talent. Sure he does have question marks but so do other draft prospects that people cream their pants about. He is no greater risk than someone like a Julian Wright or a Brandan Wright for that matter. He is already fundamentaly sound, tall and athletic. He does have one post move but if he can develop a bit more post play and put on some weight and subsequently get stronger, there is no reason why he cannot be a very good player in the NBA.

I do agree with Brick with the belief that had he played in NCAA, people would be talking about Yi as a 2nd or 3rd pick. Because he is international prospect, some people write him off. College basketball is not as strong as some of the leagues in the world.

Yi is going to be long gone by the time we pick. Any seven footer who can run and chew gum at the same time is not going to fall in the draft, any draft. In fact, they usually move up as the draft approaches, not down. The only big men who did fall in the last few yrs are Marcei Lampe, Loren Woods, and Randolph Morris. Enough said. Although props to Morris for his comeback.

It's usually the SG/SF who fall. Like Gerald Green, Caron Butler, and even Paul Pierce. So, if you have to bet on somebody falling, bet on Corey Brewer.

And if by some miracle Yi fall to us, I will try not to faint before Stern annouces "... and the Sacramento Kings select Yi..." *Faint* :)

Yi is going to be long gone by the time we pick. Any seven footer who can run and chew gum at the same time is not going to fall in the draft, any draft. In fact, they usually move up as the draft approaches, not down. The only big men who did fall in the last few yrs are Marcei Lampe, Loren Woods, and Randolph Morris. Enough said. Although props to Morris for his comeback.

It's usually the SG/SF who fall. Like Gerald Green, Caron Butler, and even Paul Pierce. So, if you have to bet on somebody falling, bet on Corey Brewer.

And if by some miracle Yi fall to us, I will try not to faint before Stern annouces "... and the Sacramento Kings select Yi..." *Faint* :)
This raises an interesting scenario. The other day in the bee, they said tha Petrie has only once drafted a player who he hasn't seen in a private work out and he will not do that again. That player was Wallace.

Now this begs a question, since players like Yi, Brewer, B. Wright etc... are all projected to be gone by pick 10, I find it hard to believe that their agents will let them work out for a team @ 10. If there was a slider, will Petrie break his rule once again and draft that player or will he overlook him for someone that he has seen in a private work out?

I really hope that Petrie would strongly consider breaking that habit and picking a player who could potentially slide all the way to 10.

i think i might be one of the people focusing on more of the pros than cons. but i totally see your point. aside from oden and durant (though some can find flaws in their game too), just about everyone in this draft has potentials and risks we should worry about. i personally just think if for some reason a player thats hyped up enough to be a top 5 player drops to a 10, i think it would be a steal, despite some ? in his game.
I agree that he would be a very good pick at 10 with his potential, but I think some people are ready to call him the next Amare or KG lite. That's just going way too far.

And there is no reason why Yi cannot be the same! He is pretty skinny but he has the frame that will allows him to beef up a bit more and be strong enough to play in the post.

I think there are some people on this board (this statement is not directed at you) that are extremely sceptical about anyone that comes outside the College system which IMHO is a bit ignorant. Some people act as if no one else in the world can't play basketball other than Americans.

Yi is a great talent. Sure he does have question marks but so do other draft prospects that people cream their pants about. He is no greater risk than someone like a Julian Wright or a Brandan Wright for that matter. He is already fundamentaly sound, tall and athletic. He does have one post move but if he can develop a bit more post play and put on some weight and subsequently get stronger, there is no reason why he cannot be a very good player in the NBA.

I do agree with Brick with the belief that had he played in NCAA, people would be talking about Yi as a 2nd or 3rd pick. Because he is international prospect, some people write him off. College basketball is not as strong as some of the leagues in the world.
The reason he's considered risky is because he plays in the Chinese league which has produced only one player that has stuck in the league yes they're improving but I'm afraid the competition just doesn't come close to the euro leagues or NCAA just quite yet. He's the consumate high risk high reward player. It's not a knock, it's just the way it is.

This raises an interesting scenario. The other day in the bee, they said tha Petrie has only once drafted a player who he hasn't seen in a private work out and he will not do that again. That player was Wallace.

Now this begs a question, since players like Yi, Brewer, B. Wright etc... are all projected to be gone by pick 10, I find it hard to believe that their agents will let them work out for a team @ 10. If there was a slider, will Petrie break his rule once again and draft that player or will he overlook him for someone that he has seen in a private work out?

I really hope that Petrie would strongly consider breaking that habit and picking a player who could potentially slide all the way to 10.

Even though those players may not come to workout in Sacramento, I'm pretty sure Petrie can still watch them workout for other teams. Team drafting ahead of us usually don't mind our scouts or GM spectating in some of their private workouts. I believe last year Petrie flew to Seattle to watch the Sonics work out Quincy Douby.

I'm just pretty confident that Petrie will have a good look at any of the prospect who may fall... :)

I like Yi Jianlian, but does it bother anybody that he may be 2-3 years older than advertised? Say 21 or 22 instead of 19?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I like Yi Jianlian, but does it bother anybody that he may be 2-3 years older than advertised? Say 21 or 22 instead of 19?
It would bother me more if he was Julain Wright.

Explanation: Yi already has a very advanced skillset. The problem with "older" rookies is that they are unlikely to develop as much. Most players develop little after about age 25 or so, and many are about what they are going to be a year or two before that. So if Yi looked like Wright, and it was all about upside, and what he could develop into, and if he added this move or this aspect of the game or whatnot, him being 22 instead of 19 would be a concern (if he is). As is, he's already got most of the skills he's going to need. He's not raw or unfinished. Will have to adapt, but he can handle, shoot, pass, has a couple of post moves, etc. Main concern about a 22 instead of 19 thing with a highly skilled guy would be the body. A 19 year old body will naturally fill out in a few years. A 22 year old body may need a lot of weight room work to help it fill out.

I think the difference is that Jianlian can already do the types of things you'd hope Wright would be able to do in two or three years. Wright could learn Jianlian's skills (or he might not), but Jianlian already has them.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That is funny because Julian IS 19-20... so I don't see why he can't "fill out".
Fill out, grow three inches, acquire skills he has never shown an inkling of. Sure, anything is possible. But you don't draft 20 yr old mid sized SFs and hope that they are somehow going to grow muscles and post games and one day be stud PFs.

We of all franchises should be well and over undersized PFs at this point. Even moreso undersized PFs who have to grow in both stature and game to even be undersized PFs.

I finally figured out who Julian Wright reminds me of -- Darius Miles. They both are athletic 6'9" guys who can't shoot (their form is even very similar), they both can dribble but don't have good moves to the hoop, and both would be good on an up-tempo team. Hopefully Wright is not as much of a knucklehead as Miles, but at the same time, Miles' career trajectory is the same one I fear about picking Wright -- can't really score, can't really defend, can't even really shoot free throws.

I finally figured out who Julian Wright reminds me of -- Darius Miles. They both are athletic 6'9" guys who can't shoot (their form is even very similar), they both can dribble but don't have good moves to the hoop, and both would be good on an up-tempo team. Hopefully Wright is not as much of a knucklehead as Miles, but at the same time, Miles' career trajectory is the same one I fear about picking Wright -- can't really score, can't really defend, can't even really shoot free throws.
You've already mentioned Darius Miles before.

It would bother me more if he was Julain Wright.

Explanation: Yi already has a very advanced skillset. The problem with "older" rookies is that they are unlikely to develop as much. Most players develop little after about age 25 or so, and many are about what they are going to be a year or two before that. So if Yi looked like Wright, and it was all about upside, and what he could develop into, and if he added this move or this aspect of the game or whatnot, him being 22 instead of 19 would be a concern (if he is). As is, he's already got most of the skills he's going to need. He's not raw or unfinished. Will have to adapt, but he can handle, shoot, pass, has a couple of post moves, etc. Main concern about a 22 instead of 19 thing with a highly skilled guy would be the body. A 19 year old body will naturally fill out in a few years. A 22 year old body may need a lot of weight room work to help it fill out.

If you are talking about making Jianlin a PF in the mold of KG or Dirk then I am on board. That would be awesome. However, I don't want to see a Darko II type deal, where a highly skilled foreign kid gets marooned in the post and never fully blossoms. And I concur, Jianlin is a much better prospect than Wright, both of them actually. Well, he's not much better than Brandon, but I have Jianlin ahead of him by one spot.