Eric Bledsoe

that's the sacrifice he takes when takes the QO. they cannot come to agreement on a long term contract where both parties are mutually happy.
The sacrifice is the lost money for the year. He has to agree to any trade so your statement about the Suns trading him at the deadline is false.

nm i found a quote on a site saying he needs to be traded w/ his consent if accepting the QO. i skimmed through the CBA and couldn't find that specific quote

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
nm i found a quote on a site saying he needs to be traded w/ his consent if accepting the QO. i skimmed through the CBA and couldn't find that specific quote
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

• When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent3.
  • For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

Bledsoe strikes me as a guy that has a big ego, and he is playing it this offseason pretty stupidly imo. I don't have much interest in him. Whoever gets him is going to end up overpaying him. He doesn't deserve anywhere near the max. Keep in mind he got less minutes per game as a backup when he was on the Clippers than Collison did. He has had basically one decent season where he was injured for a good chunk of it and he acts like he's the next Chris Paul or something.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bledsoe strikes me as a guy that has a big ego, and he is playing it this offseason pretty stupidly imo. I don't have much interest in him. Whoever gets him is going to end up overpaying him. He doesn't deserve anywhere near the max. Keep in mind he got less minutes per game as a backup when he was on the Clippers than Collison did. He has had basically one decent season where he was injured for a good chunk of it and he acts like he's the next Chris Paul or something.
Collison's MPG stats are a bit inflated thanks to CP3 being injured for a large chunk of the season.

Collison's MPG stats are a bit inflated thanks to CP3 being injured for a large chunk of the season.
A bit. He only played eight less games. I'm just saying he wasn't exactly a super-sub or anything. He also played only 60 games in 2011-2012 (he played 62 last year) where Bledsoe didn't do much either.

We can't really blame him for thinking highly of himself if he is playing like one. This guy works and plays hard at both ends of the floor I can just imagine his tremendous positive impact playing for the Kings. I think he can be better or at least be at the level of Chris Paul.

Have you seen how Bledsoe play at both ends of the floor?

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2013/07/10/BledsoeFinal2mov-2536627

There are some reports that the Bledsoe-Suns relationship might be becoming toxic as I thought would be the case but we are still unlikley to have the currency to entice Phoenix to trade him.

That's provided that we are interested in the first place.

Irreparable? He'll play for the Suns next year, regardless of how he feels about himself. That's the reality of being a restricted free agent asking for max money when not a single team is willing and able to pay him that much. He has no leverage.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Irreparable = those meanie Suns offering to pay you $50 mil off of half a season of good, not great, not All Star, not All NBA, not making the playoffs, work.

Last edited:
We can't really blame him for thinking highly of himself if he is playing like one. This guy works and plays hard at both ends of the floor I can just imagine his tremendous positive impact playing for the Kings. I think he can be better or at least be at the level of Chris Paul.

Have you seen how Bledsoe play at both ends of the floor?
CP3 will go down in history as one of the best point guards to play the game, even with zero rings and zero MVPs. If he stays healthy for a little while longer, you can even argue that he is the top PG. I'm not saying he is, but he's in that conversation. He's in Magic, Big O, Zeke, Nash, and Kidd territory already. You're really think Bledsoe can be "at least" a top 10 point guard to EVER play? For a guy that hasn't even started half a season after his 4th year?

It's really fun to go off and project guys ala 2k and play them out for 5 years, make them the MVP, blah blah. But while you're annointing these uber-athletic next basketball Jesus' guys as the best ever, you're missing the history that's right in front of you. CP3 is doing things on the court that are not being done by anyone else other than Nash (when he was healthy). He's got the ball on a string and he is playing at a pace that is at once frenetic and controlled. The guys guarding him have NO idea what to do. You can't counter what he's doing because he's already made the counter move to your counter.

And you know what? I don't even like him. But greatness is greatness. Bledsoe hasn't even played a year of starter games TOTAL. If Bledsoe was even close to CP3, the Suns would have knocked his door down, max contract in hand. They didn't. And no one's gone and given him max yet, either. B/c hes not CP3 level yet. And most likely will never hit that level.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
CP3 will go down in history as one of the best point guards to play the game, even with zero rings and zero MVPs. If he stays healthy for a little while longer, you can even argue that he is the top PG. I'm not saying he is, but he's in that conversation. He's in Magic, Big O, Zeke, Nash, and Kidd territory already. You're really think Bledsoe can be "at least" a top 10 point guard to EVER play? For a guy that hasn't even started half a season after his 4th year?

It's really fun to go off and project guys ala 2k and play them out for 5 years, make them the MVP, blah blah. But while you're annointing these uber-athletic next basketball Jesus' guys as the best ever, you're missing the history that's right in front of you. CP3 is doing things on the court that are not being done by anyone else other than Nash (when he was healthy). He's got the ball on a string and he is playing at a pace that is at once frenetic and controlled. The guys guarding him have NO idea what to do. You can't counter what he's doing because he's already made the counter move to your counter.

And you know what? I don't even like him. But greatness is greatness. Bledsoe hasn't even played a year of starter games TOTAL. If Bledsoe was even close to CP3, the Suns would have knocked his door down, max contract in hand. They didn't. And no one's gone and given him max yet, either. B/c hes not CP3 level yet. And most likely will never hit that level.
Not to nit pic, but if your going to list the whose who of PG's, you have to put John Stockton at the top of the list, since he's the all time assist leader and the closest to him is Kidd who is retired and 3ooo assists behind him. Probably should mention Mark Jackson as well since he's in the top five in assists. Anyway, if Bledsoe want so be thought of in the same breath as Stockton, all he has to do is accumulate something close to 15,ooo assists. Hmmm, I guess Iám nit picking. Sorry!

Irreparable? He'll play for the Suns next year, regardless of how he feels about himself. That's the reality of being a restricted free agent asking for max money when not a single team is willing and able to pay him that much. He has no leverage.
When the Suns signed IT the little leverage Bledsoe had was reduced even further. IT signing his multimillion dollar deal had a negative impact on his future teammates bargaining position. Its dog eat dog out there, right IT?

I understand what the concern is all about. Overpaying Bledsoe NOW is a big risk to take especially at a max of $80M. But that is his asking price and if we have a little bit of IQ we will all know that price is negotiable. It is not written and set on stone.

Maybe $60M/4 years?

Fair?
It's really fun to go off and project guys ala 2k and play them out for 5 years, make them the MVP, blah blah. But while you're annointing these uber-athletic next basketball Jesus' guys as the best ever, you're missing the history that's right in front of you. CP3 is doing things on the court that are not being done by anyone else other than Nash (when he was healthy).
Or maybe you are the one missing the history that's right in front of you?

You might want to review Steve Nash's history when he started in Phoenix with established PG like Kevin Johnson, Sam Cassel, and later behind Jason Kidd. Oh yeah, during those times he became the starter in front and ahead of those guys and I can still remember basketball gurus wannabe like us were able to predict that Nash would be a 2-time MVP on his 9th year of NBA career.

Or, were we really able to tell that Nash would be that good?

And if I may quote Cuban on June 2006 of Letterman Show "... you know Steve's a great guy and I love him to death, but why couldn't he play like an MVP for us?"

Last edited:
I understand what the concern is all about. Overpaying Bledsoe NOW is a big risk to take especially at a max of $80M. But that is his asking price and if we have a little bit of IQ we will all know that price is negotiable. It is not written and set on stone.

Maybe $60M/4 years?

Fair?

Or maybe you are the one missing the history that's right in front of you?

You might want to review Steve Nash's history when he started in Phoenix with established PG like Kevin Johnson, Sam Cassel, and later behind Jason Kidd. Oh yeah, during those times he became the starter in front and ahead of those guys and I can still remember basketball gurus wannabe like us were able to predict that Nash would be a 2-time MVP on his 9th year of NBA career.

Or, were we really able to tell that Nash would be that good?

And if I may quote Cuban on June 2006 of Letterman Show "... you know Steve's a great guy and I love him to death, but why couldn't he play like an MVP for us?"
didn't steve play under d'antoni during his MVP years? i have much respect for his game. was his MVPs a product of the system?

Not to nit pic, but if your going to list the whose who of PG's, you have to put John Stockton at the top of the list, since he's the all time assist leader and the closest to him is Kidd who is retired and 3ooo assists behind him. Probably should mention Mark Jackson as well since he's in the top five in assists. Anyway, if Bledsoe want so be thought of in the same breath as Stockton, all he has to do is accumulate something close to 15,ooo assists. Hmmm, I guess Iám nit picking. Sorry!
John Stockton earned his nickname "Pasty Gangster" by setting the meanest picks ever by a 6 foot player.

I like Bledsoe game a lot, specially after watching the videos posted here, no doubt hes a hardworker on both ends of the floor.. guy has freakish atheleticism and defensive skills, but lets not get too excited on giving him that big money or comparing him to top PG's , mainly because IMHO a top PG needs to settle their teammates and RUN an offense, thats what PGs do or at least should do, Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Mark Jackson, CP3 and all others mentioned excelled in that category and as for Bledsoe, his A/TO ration is terrible, guy average nearly 4 TO's a game, If we are to continue to compare ppl, Id say Bledose isnt the "LeBron of PGs", but a lesser version of Russell Westbrook, a guy with tremenduous skills on both ends but terrible decision making at times leading to turnover prone. Id take Rondo or Westbrook over Bledsoe any day of the week if they were available (and they will be FA's next season btw). But for less money, yeah, give me Bledsoe too, is alright!

If we are to continue to compare ppl, Id say Bledose isnt the "LeBron of PGs", but a lesser version of Russell Westbrook, a guy with tremenduous skills on both ends but terrible decision making at times leading to turnover prone. Id take Rondo or Westbrook over Bledsoe any day of the week if they were available (and they will be FA's next season btw). But for less money, yeah, give me Bledsoe too, is alright!
Established and experienced stars like CP3, Rondo, and Westbrook (even if available as FA's) are unlikely to play for a non-contending small market teams like Sacramento. We need to gamble overpaying for upcoming dominating talents like Bledsoe the same way we have gambled on Cousins' talents alone. And we have to gamble NOW while their career is on upward trajectory rather than later when they are at the peak of their career, for fear that Cousins (or Bledsoe) get established as stars and develop the mentality of wanting to go to a contending big market team.

Last edited:
Established and experienced stars like CP3, Rondo, and Westbrook (even if available as FA's) are unlikely to play for a non-contending small market teams like Sacramento. We need to gamble overpaying for upcoming dominating talents like Bledsoe the same way we have gambled on Cousins' talents alone. And we have to gamble NOW while their career is on upward trajectory rather than later when they are at the peak of their career, for fear that Cousins (or Bledsoe) get established as stars and develop the mentality of wanting to go to a contending big market team.
Hard to see a mechanism that would allow the Kings to get Bledsoe though.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, the guy they gambled on was Collison.

I totally agree with your theme of young upcoming players, not established talents, is what the Kings should target.

my sources say there is an 80% chance Kings trade BenMac, Dwill and Jason Terry for Bledsoe

T-Biker @Tbiker26 my new Blog LOLOL

Last edited:
ok all kidding aside

Why not? Have Big Cuz call up Bledsoe, convince him to take 58 over 4 yrs instead of 48 over 4 yrs

Phoenix now has little leverage left

They do get value in BenMac and dwill, plus can trade Terry as an ender by feb, Dwill comes off books next yr

If all they hear are crickets on the market, and if Bledsoe signs qual offer they get nothing but one year rental