Eric Bledsoe

I think we need to move away from Josh Smith and focus on a stud defender like Bledsoe. If easily give up Ben/JT in a sign a trade for him. If it is between us and Rockets/Bucks I hope his relationship with Boogie puts us to number 1 on his list.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/ddxDC

I was reading 'Eric Bledsoe rumors: Rockets, Kings, Bucks interested' on FanSided for iOS and I thought you might be interested in reading it too.
http://fansided.com/2014/07/17/eric-bledsoe-rumors-rockets-kings-bucks-interested/

Im sorry but 14 mil way too much even for Bledsoe

S&T for 10Mil? give them Ben Mac and carl Landry Yep Im down with that

Then give Detroit JT and Dwill for Josh and Yep!!!!

Chris Broussard ✔ @Chris_Broussard
Follow
Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 million. Sides far apart

3:25 PM - 17 Jul 2014
829 Retweets 263 favorites

Holy Crap!!! Sorry Eric those numbers are way out of our price range

I'd love to see Bledsoe come here. He's got the potential to become an excellent to elite PG, but it would depend on how much we would have to give up in a sign-and-trade, since I assume we cannot afford to put a max offer on the table?

Follow
Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 million. Sides far apart

wow!!

Follow

Not necessarily. Don't underestimate the crap contracts we can throw around. 5/80 is roughly 16 million per year. One of either Landry/JT, one of either DWill/Terry, and one of either Outlaw/Ben is just a shade under 16 million (and close enough to work under the Trade machine). Any combination of those guys is $16 million. That gives them a serviceable PF, and either 10 million of expiring deals, or 6.5 million expiring and Ben.

That stills leaves you free to trade one of either Landry/JT and one of either DWills/Terry to Detroit.

We would be extremely short on bodies and have Cousins, Gay, Bledsoe, and Smith making a whopping $63.5 million!!! However, with those 4, you are looking at filling the rest of the roster with role players, and you have eliminated all other bad contracts. Collison, Nik, Evans, Acy, and Ray are all nice pieces that cost about a total of 11 million. Add in a few minimum guys and stretch Outlaw, and you could make it work, provided Vivek is willing to pay the tax. Then, you can try and resign Gay for around 12-14 (instead of 19) and give yourself some wiggle room.

The idea though, is that with a core 4 of Bledsoe, Smith, Cousins, and Gay, and nice role players like DC, Nik, Evans, Acy, and Ray, you aren't looking to spend huge on others. A scorer like Marshon, a young big like Moreland, maybe another BIG body for the minimum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not necessarily. Don't underestimate the crap contracts we can throw around. 5/80 is roughly 16 million per year. One of either Landry/JT, one of either DWill/Terry, and one of either Outlaw/Ben is just a shade under 16 million (and close enough to work under the Trade machine). Any combination of those guys is $16 million. That gives them a serviceable PF, and either 10 million of expiring deals, or 6.5 million expiring and Ben.

That stills leaves you free to trade one of either Landry/JT and one of either DWills/Terry to Detroit.

We would be extremely short on bodies and have Cousins, Gay, Bledsoe, and Smith making a whopping $63.5 million!!! However, with those 4, you are looking at filling the rest of the roster with role players, and you have eliminated all other bad contracts. Collison, Nik, Evans, Acy, and Ray are all nice pieces that cost about a total of 11 million. Add in a few minimum guys and stretch Outlaw, and you could make it work, provided Vivek is willing to pay the tax. Then, you can try and resign Gay for around 12-14 (instead of 19) and give yourself some wiggle room.

The idea though, is that with a core 4 of Bledsoe, Smith, Cousins, and Gay, and nice role players like DC, Nik, Evans, Acy, and Ray, you aren't looking to spend huge on others. A scorer like Marshon, a young big like Moreland, maybe another BIG body for the minimum.
Yeah, but the problem is the Suns would have absolutely no reason to facilitate that trade for us. If we were way under the cap, we could threaten to just sign him with our capspace if they didn't take our sign and trade. But we're totally pinned, so we would need to actually throw out an attractive enough package that Phoenix goes,ok, let's do that. And for numbers that big, I don't know, maybe Ben and all our enders might get into that salary range. But then we are done, pinned, and won't even have any capspace clearing next year.

Follow

The salaries of McLemore, Thompson, and Terry equal $14,914,093. Bledsoe's max contract would be $14,746,000.

So we could make a deal with the Suns to swing Bledsoe our way. I would probably even be open to including McCallum in that deal as well. The question you have to ask yourself is a core of Cousins, Gay, & Bledsoe good enough to take you to the finals? I think it can be. Gay is in his prime, but Cousins and Bledsoe have the ability to keep improving.

However, is Bledsoe's style of play all that much different than Thomas' style of play? I haven't seen much of Bledsoe to comment, but going off what I know (or what I think I know) he is a scoring guard as well. How would the offense be better with him here versus having Thomas here? I know Bledsoe is considered one of the best PG defenders in the league, but from an offensive standpoint, I don't want Cousins and Gay to be frustrated with yet another PG playing "me first" basketball.

After making this deal, we would still have a lot of salary come off our books next offseason. We could make a run at D. Jordan, M. Gasol, Asik, R. Lopez, or E. Davis as our shotblocker next to Cousins or we could do the Landry & Williams deal to send Josh Smith our way.

I just wouldn't throw that much money at him. I like Bledsoe and Boogie likes Bledsoe, but that would strangle the team's cap on a player who was injured for half the year and plays a style that will lead to injuries.

The problem with Bledsoe is he wants too much money and already has knee problems at a young age. The injury stuff doesn't get any better.

Also, EB is another attack first PG. Sure, it would be an upgrade from IT.. especially on the defensive end. But he wants max. If we can somehow work a sign and trade at max dollars, that basically locks us into the big 3 of DMC, Gay, Bledsoe. We'll be competitive but I don't think thats a championship team.

If we are going to gamble with max money and on a PG with a previous knee injury, I would go with Rondo. Pass first and best defender at the PG position when healthy. A true PG vs an attacking PG.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...However, is Bledsoe's style of play all that much different than Thomas' style of play? I haven't seen much of Bledsoe to comment, but going off what I know (or what I think I know) he is a scoring guard as well. How would the offense be better with him here versus having Thomas here? I know Bledsoe is considered one of the best PG defenders in the league, but from an offensive standpoint, I don't want Cousins and Gay to be frustrated with yet another PG playing "me first" basketball.

After making this deal, we would still have a lot of salary come off our books next offseason. We could make a run at D. Jordan, M. Gasol, Asik, R. Lopez, or E. Davis as our shotblocker next to Cousins or we could do the Landry & Williams deal to send Josh Smith our way.
Considering the high esteem DMC has for Bledsoe (as seen in his Grantland interview with Bill Simmons) AND the fact DMC and Bledsoe played together at Kentucky, I don't think there'd be a problem.

But then we are done, pinned, and won't even have any capspace clearing next year.
We still have some clearing of space next year.

Remember the ending contract of $19M of Rudy Gay?

Depending on Gay's performance this coming season, we can let Rudy Gay go if he doesn't want a new contract at $12-14M/year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bledsoe might not be worth that much, but if he was healthy for the majority of the season I think he would of got it. Unfortunately for him, he missed way too many games and this is first year as a full time starter so you can't really go on one good half a year.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We still have some clearing of space next year.

Remember the ending contract of $19M of Rudy Gay?

Depending on Gay's performance this coming season, we can let Rudy Gay go if he doesn't want a new contract at $12-14M/year.
In which case you have gained little. And at $12-$14mil we barely clear any cap at all without those enders. All these deals go up, eating into that little $6mil or whatever. We're still stuck.

Even if Bledsoe is publicly wanting MAX, I think we should still continue to keep to talking to both him and PHX.
Best case scenario for us is that Bledsoe can't get any team for a MAX offer and returns to the table with what PHX have (11M-12M per).
Then Phoenix goes sour with him and eventually does a sign and trade to us because both parties has already said too much. LOL

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don't know. No promise of anything more than 1 season from a guy coming of knee injury and his success came while playing with 3 potential hall of famers. Vs Bledsoe which is great defender good passer and a good shooter that you can possibly get for 4 years.

Now get me rondo for 4 years and its a different argument.

You do josh smith and rondo. You don't do Bledsoe and smith.

Granted a man can dream but why on earth would Phoenix do a trade with the Kings when the Kings can't sign Bledsoe outright? Bledsoe is too much of a talent to trade for table scraps and that's all Sacramento has to offer. If it comes to it, other teams can and certainly will offer more in terms of young somewhat equitable talent.

Yeah, but the problem is the Suns would have absolutely no reason to facilitate that trade for us. If we were way under the cap, we could threaten to just sign him with our capspace if they didn't take our sign and trade. But we're totally pinned, so we would need to actually throw out an attractive enough package that Phoenix goes,ok, let's do that. And for numbers that big, I don't know, maybe Ben and all our enders might get into that salary range. But then we are done, pinned, and won't even have any capspace clearing next year.
They sure do have a reason. All Bledsoe has to do is say he will sign his QO. Then he can bolt next year and they get nothing. He would have to agree to any trade as he will lose his bird rights.

cbafaq.com
There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

• When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent3.

They sure do have a reason. All Bledsoe has to do is say he will sign his QO. Then he can bolt next year and they get nothing. He would have to agree to any trade as he will lose his bird rights.
So why not trade him to a team that has more to offer? If Bledsoe pushes the Suns to a point where they have to sign-and-trade him it's a pretty safe bet that they can get something better then Ben McLemore and filler contracts.

I love Bledsoe but just don't think Kings have the assets to get him.

So why not trade him to a team that has more to offer? If Bledsoe pushes the Suns to a point where they have to sign-and-trade him it's a pretty safe bet that they can get something better then Ben McLemore and filler contracts.

I love Bledsoe but just don't think Kings have the assets to get him.
That's what I used to think, but look at the crap we got for Evans and IT