Eric Bledsoe

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can see other teams being able to offer better assets for Bledsoe. The suns may have to trade him at the deadline but the qo gives them time.
The closer they get to the trade deadline, the less leverage the Suns will have. In reality, Bledsoe has had one good half season. That doesn't mean I don't like him, but it does mean I'm not giving him the max based on one half of a season. I can't tell you how many different players were the hot subject on this forum, that people were willing to give up their first born for, that went on to be just average, or in some cases, below average players. Personally, I like Bledsoe, but to my mind, he hasn't proven much yet. He hasn't even proven he can play 82 games in a season. That doesn't mean you don't try to acquire him, but it does mean you don't overpay.

One of the things that adds to JT's value, is that he shows up for every game. He's been durable. Ditto Cousins, at least so far. A great player isn't of much value if he's sitting on the bench in street clothes. Bledsoe in four years in the NBA has missed the equivalent of an entire season due to injuries. 88 games! Of those four years, he's had one good half season, which may be the beginning of a great run by him. Or, it may be an aberration. If you can steal him cheap, go for it. But I'm not willing to give up major asset's for him.

J

jdbraver

The closer they get to the trade deadline, the less leverage the Suns will have. In reality, Bledsoe has had one good half season. That doesn't mean I don't like him, but it does mean I'm not giving him the max based on one half of a season. I can't tell you how many different players were the hot subject on this forum, that people were willing to give up their first born for, that went on to be just average, or in some cases, below average players. Personally, I like Bledsoe, but to my mind, he hasn't proven much yet. He hasn't even proven he can play 82 games in a season. That doesn't mean you don't try to acquire him, but it does mean you don't overpay.

One of the things that adds to JT's value, is that he shows up for every game. He's been durable. Ditto Cousins, at least so far. A great player isn't of much value if he's sitting on the bench in street clothes. Bledsoe in four years in the NBA has missed the equivalent of an entire season due to injuries. 88 games! Of those four years, he's had one good half season, which may be the beginning of a great run by him. Or, it may be an aberration. If you can steal him cheap, go for it. But I'm not willing to give up major asset's for him.
The kings don't have the luxury of guys proving themselves bc we r small market. We need to gamble on a player like this else we will never thrive.

The kings don't have the luxury of guys proving themselves bc we r small market. We need to gamble on a player like this else we will never thrive.
We do. We have. We have signed Collison. And I Like where we are for his season. Just think of the money we saved on Rondo and Bledsoe.

Bledsoe scares the hell out of me. I want him but then I don't want to get stuck with him long term if things don't work out... I guess that doesn't make a ton of sense which is probably why it scares the heck out of me.

The problem with Bledsoe is he a ball dominant point guard, much like IT, except he is 6'1" and built like a tank.

Would PDA want to go back to a ball dominant PG when he just let one go for much cheaper.

I think PDA is looking for more a facilitator for DMC and Gay then another 20 ppg player next to the big two. Someone like Collison, that will bring the ball up and send into DMC to initiate the offense.

The plus side is he would give the Kings a pretty good big 3, but very similar to the big 3 we had last season, except with a bigger, more defensive PG in place.

The problem with Bledsoe is he is going to be way overpaid. He's proved nothing so far and wants max. With DMC already on the books another max players hamstrings us for a while if he doesn't work out.

The thing with Bledose, he might not be worth a max deal now but something tells me that by the end of that deal he will be well and truly worth it.

The kid is going to be scary good and I would mark us down as a contender for a very long time with Cousins and Bledsoe, regardless of whether Rudy stays with us or not.

K

KingMilz

If we were willing to take Rudy Gay on a insane 2 year deal I don't see why we would not take a better all around player in Bledose over 4 years, also with Bledose his effort is never in question and he makes his teams better neither thing you can say about Rudy at this point in time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If we were willing to take Rudy Gay on a insane 2 year deal I don't see why we would not take a better all around player in Bledose over 4 years, also with Bledose his effort is never in question and he makes his teams better neither thing you can say about Rudy at this point in time.
Rudy Gay has been the picture-perfect professional since coming to the Kings. He's also already impressing a lot of people on the national team, including our franchise center. I still do not see the need by some Kings fans to always have to bring one player down to boost the status of their favorite.

The thing with Bledose, he might not be worth a max deal now but something tells me that by the end of that deal he will be well and truly worth it.

The kid is going to be scary good and I would mark us down as a contender for a very long time with Cousins and Bledsoe, regardless of whether Rudy stays with us or not.
This is his 5th year so he's near the apex of his career based off of potential. Last season, when healthy, is almost as good as he will get; which is not bad, but definitely not worth the franchise money

J

jdbraver

This is his 5th year so he's near the apex of his career based off of potential. Last season, when healthy, is almost as good as he will get; which is not bad, but definitely not worth the franchise money
When was vlade at his apex or doug. Sometimes it's the system and teammates that helps you reach your potential. Plus we all know even if it is a five year thing this guy has not been in the whole five. He has not yet reached his potential IMO

K

KingMilz

Rudy Gay has been the picture-perfect professional since coming to the Kings. He's also already impressing a lot of people on the national team, including our franchise center. I still do not see the need by some Kings fans to always have to bring one player down to boost the status of their favorite.
Rudy Gay seems like a terrific guy/professional no doubt but the jury is still out and always has been since his days at UCONN about his effort level/impact on teams, I have never once said anything negative about Rudy Gay the person but I think as a player we should be free to discuss when making comparisons to other players. I was just stating that we should take a risk on a guy who makes his team's better/gives ultimate effort if we did on a guy who is questionable in both area's.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rudy Gay seems like a terrific guy/professional no doubt but the jury is still out and always has been since his days at UCONN about his effort level/impact on teams, I have never once said anything negative about Rudy Gay the person but I think as a player we should be free to discuss when making comparisons to other players. I was just stating that we should take a risk on a guy who makes his team's better/gives ultimate effort if we did on a guy who is questionable in both area's.
Since I completely disagree with your initial premise, we're never going to see eye-to-eye in this regard. :)

Bledsoe may be fragile, and Gay is not. Possibly a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

KingMilz

Bledsoe may be fragile, and Gay is not. Possibly a big difference.
Rudy Gay has had injuries where he has missed a decent amount of time as well, Bledose could be more fragile but that's probably due to the fact he actually competes hard and puts his body on the line (kind of like Gerald Wallace did), Rudy on the other hand not so much.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wait.....when did we start not liking Rudy Gay? I don't like his contract, but that's not his fault. What does Rudy Gay have to do with Bledsoe anyways?

Comparing anyone to Gerald Wallace is not fair. Wallace has no regard for his body. But, Rudy did well for us last year and I have no complaints.
It's not a "we" thing so much as a one or two vocal people thing.

Rudy doesn't have anything to do with Bledsoe, except that andremiller has been trying to say that if we took Rudy Gay we should be willing to take Eric Bledsoe. His logic kind of falls apart but he's loyal to his opinion.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's not a "we" thing so much as a one or two vocal people thing.

Rudy doesn't have anything to do with Bledsoe, except that andremiller has been trying to say that if we took Rudy Gay we should be willing to take Eric Bledsoe. His logic kind of falls apart but he's loyal to his opinion.
Rudy is getting paid a ton of $, and so presumably (maybe) would Bledsoe. Both have above average ability (Some say Gay is top 10 sf; Bledsoe could be a top 10 guard). One is already on the Kings and one is being talked about as possibly being on the Kings. So yes, there are grounds for comparison if you can see the obvious.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Rudy Gay has had injuries where he has missed a decent amount of time as well, Bledose could be more fragile but that's probably due to the fact he actually competes hard and puts his body on the line (kind of like Gerald Wallace did), Rudy on the other hand not so much.
Here's the thing. With Gay your going on a proven track record, and with Bledsoe, you still betting on potential. In his four years in the NBA, Bledsoe has missed 88 games, or just over one season. In eight seasons, Gay has missed 71 games, so please don't try and equalize Gay and Bledsoe when it comes to injuries. By no means am I predicting the future for Bledsoe, but his track record so far is not nearly as good as Gay's. In Bledsoe's first four, and only seasons, he's averaged 8.7 ppg while shooting 44.5% overall, and 32.7% from the three. In Gay's first six seasons, all with Memphis, he averaged 18.2 ppg, while shooting 45.1% overall, and 34.9% from the three. If you were to throw out Gay's first season with Memphis, where his minutes were limited, he would have averaged just under 20 ppg, and would have shot just under 46% overall. In other words, Gay was very consistent, and solid.

Now he may not have put up Lebron James numbers, and maybe that's what people were expecting from him, but overall, he's proven to be a very solid player that you know what your going to get night after night. His time in Toronto ended up being a statical nightmare for him, but I think its fools gold to think that's the norm. The Norm is what he did in Memphis, and in Sacramento. As a result, I'm more inclined to gamble, if that's the word to describe it, on Gay, who I'm confident will at least earn his money, than I am Bledsoe, who in reality, has had one half of one season, where he put up great numbers.

Now this may not be a good comparison, but does anyone remember Marcus Thornton? He came in here and put up great numbers for a half a season, and Petrie rewarded him with a very good contract. A contract he couldn't live up to, and in the end, a contract that became a liability that needed to be shed. You just don't throw all caution to the wind in hopes that some player is going to be the messiah that leads you to the promised land. You make a big financial mistake, and it sets the franchise back a couple of years. Many times, the people that support these kind of moves, are the exact same people that are criticizing it three years later. I'm not putting you in that group, nor am I saying we shouldn't explore obtaining Bledose. Iám saying that we need to be prudent, and make sure what we do now, doesn't negatively affect our future. I believe Bledsoe's agent said he wanted somewhere around 12 mil a year. Sorry, I wouldn't even start a conversation with that figure.

Well if Minny didn't trade Love to Suns, they are not gonna give Wiggins

So Suns are not gonna take back 14 mil in junk players/contracts just to help Bledsoe get his max contract

Yeah I would say work out a 3way trade with Kings, but Suns wouldn't want any of our junk players/Contracts Either

I guess we could dream about kings send D Will , get in Rubio
Suns get Anthony Bennet, DWill
at least Dwill is an ender
Minny gets Bledsoe

Well if Minny didn't trade Love to Suns, they are not gonna give Wiggins

So Suns are not gonna take back 14 mil in junk players/contracts just to help Bledsoe get his max contract

Yeah I would say work out a 3way trade with Kings, but Suns wouldn't want any of our junk players/Contracts Either

I guess we could dream about kings send D Will , get in Rubio
Suns get Anthony Bennet, DWill
at least Dwill is an ender
Minny gets Bledsoe
Rubio is wanting to get paid too. And why would we want Rubio?

Would really like a 3rd impact player going into next season but I don't think Bledsoe is worth it at a max deal. That being said we can't always be trying to save money. At some point were going to have to be big spenders if we want to compete.

J

jdbraver

Would really like a 3rd impact player going into next season but I don't think Bledsoe is worth it at a max deal. That being said we can't always be trying to save money. At some point were going to have to be big spenders if we want to compete.
We have one of the highest salaries in the league.