Eric Bledsoe

Going with what Čarolija said, you basically make the rest of your roster available and label Cousins and Gay as untouchables. Those two plus Bledsoe make up an excellent core. You can build around a core like that. Only Rudy has entered his prime (only 27!). I would sign him for 13 million a year with incentives. I don't think Bledsoe quite deserves a max offer at this stage. Maybe for his next contract, but not this one.
Judging by the contracts given out, I think most of the teams believe that the salary cap will increase significantly with the new media deal. I think its also why a few of these stars are signing on for 2 years rather than 4 or 5.

I agree that Bledsoe is not a max player now but I think, injury permitting, that he might be by the end of that deal. If we had some more cap flexibility and more good young assets and/or picks, I would probably do that deal anyway because even if we were signing him to an offer sheet, it would be to the max deal.

I really like him as a player and I think Cousins-Gay-Bledsoe has all sorts of good potential there. I also think that Stauskas with his game complements Bledsoe as a backcourt partner really well. He can handle, he can pass, he can shoot and that is what you would be looking for in a player to put next to Bledsoe in a backcourt! Bledsoe is not the greatest of passers or decision makers but by pairing him with someone like Stauskas it releases the pressure somewhat and he could just play. Its why it worked so well with Dragić last season.

Judging by the contracts given out, I think most of the teams believe that the salary cap will increase significantly with the new media deal. I think its also why a few of these stars are signing on for 2 years rather than 4 or 5.

I agree that Bledsoe is not a max player now but I think, injury permitting, that he might be by the end of that deal. If we had some more cap flexibility and more good young assets and/or picks, I would probably do that deal anyway because even if we were signing him to an offer sheet, it would be to the max deal.

I really like him as a player and I think Cousins-Gay-Bledsoe has all sorts of good potential there. I also think that Stauskas with his game complements Bledsoe as a backcourt partner really well. He can handle, he can pass, he can shoot and that is what you would be looking for in a player to put next to Bledsoe in a backcourt! Bledsoe is not the greatest of passers or decision makers but by pairing him with someone like Stauskas it releases the pressure somewhat and he could just play. Its why it worked so well with Dragić last season.
I am in full support of acquiring Bledsoe, just to make that clear! I am a huge Rondo fan, and I want Bledsoe more (younger, more electric). If it were up to me, I would make the entire team available excluding Cousins, Gay, and Stauskas in order to get him. I suppose I would give in and pay max for him if it really came down to it since we are a small market team. At that point, you are banking on him improving and living up to a max offer. What do you do with Gay the next season? Cousins and Bledsoe are on max contracts, he would want a max contract as well. When would the new salary cap kick in?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, I agree about this. Rondo and McLemore seems like a good match to me because Rondo is going to dominate the ball and Ben is good at moving without the ball. If we get Bledsoe, then Stauskas looks like a better fit at starting SG because Bledsoe is a little more scoring oriented and he can play off the ball more with his 3pt range. I'd be thrilled to get either one of those guys. I've always felt if you can fill the PG and C positions with All-Star level players, you can slot in a lot of different types of players around them and continue to be successful.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe the clips knew he would want $80 mil.
If he were actually the "LeBron James of PGs" (not your words) there would have been 10 teams offering him $80M this offseason. Didn't happen.

He's a fine player, but he's not the greatest thing that's ever happened to basketball. Let's not get too excited here.

J

jdbraver

If he were actually the "LeBron James of PGs" (not your words) there would have been 10 teams offering him $80M this offseason. Didn't happen.

He's a fine player, but he's not the greatest thing that's ever happened to basketball. Let's not get too excited here.
I certainly wouldn't give him more than boogie.

I really like Bledsoe and he would be a great fit. I just don't see it happening after with signed DC. We would have to give up a ton, and he would have to want to come here......

K

KingMilz

4/48 sounds right for bledsoe. i dont see him as a max player.
Hayward got 60 and I think he's better than Hayward. Thing is a lot of guy who are not max are getting max but 80 million is crazy but.

What would people think about trying to swap Gay for Bledsoe and than doing the trade for Josh Smith? Afterwards we could maybe try trade for Middleton from the Bucks or a average SF like Wilson Chandler who can space the floor depending on what's left after the trades.

PG: Bledsoe/DC
SG: Nik
SF: Mclemore
PF: Smith
C: Cousins

Hayward got 60 and I think he's better than Hayward. Thing is a lot of guy who are not max are getting max but 80 million is crazy but.

What would people think about trying to swap Gay for Bledsoe and than doing the trade for Josh Smith? Afterwards we could maybe try trade for Middleton from the Bucks or a average SF like Wilson Chandler who can space the floor depending on what's left after the trades.

PG: Bledsoe/DC
SG: Nik
SF: Mclemore
PF: Smith
C: Cousins
do you agree hayward is overpaid? 15m/yr? the jazz had to match him otherwise they'd bleed talent. their roster is devoid of talent.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

There you go being logical again. I hear a bunch of balloons popping.......:)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...suns-using-restricted-free-agency-against-him

"First off, I'm letting my agent, Rich Paul, handle it," Bledsoe said. "I can understand the Phoenix Suns are using [being a] restricted free agent against me. But I can understand that.”
Go after Eric Bledsoe. We should use this situation to our advantage. This might create a divide between Eric and the Suns. Since Demarcus and Eric are close friends, Demarcus should be talking to Eric, trying to convince him to want to come here - which could create a sign and trade.

I’m not sure what we can offer - Carl Landry (PF - 3yrs) - the Suns already have several PFs, Travis Outlaw (SF - 1yr) - they could use his shooting, D-Will or Jason Terry, and a pick (not sure we have one).

I’d love to see Eric in our uniform. Not sure how possible it would be, especially since I’d like to keep both Ben and Nik, but if we have picks the Suns might like that and maybe some enders. They would then be able to go after someone else in the future.

I would absolutely love to have Eric Bledsoe but I just feel its not realistic for us at the moment. We should definitely be using the situation and DMC's friendship with Bledose to our advantage but the bottom line is, Phoenix do not have to trade him and can dare him to get a offer sheet from someone. This situation could turn toxic which is where we might come and and offer them something but its still a LONG LONG way off that.

Bledsoe-Gay-Cousins would make a very good trio for us going forward but it does not allow us much wiggle room to get that shot blocker at PF.

Well...that was depressing to read.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be depressing.

Hopefully it's the mentality of, one man's trash is another man's treasure can apply in this situation. And I'm not saying those players are bad or trash, I'm just saying that for Eric Bledsoe, those players don't seem to really equal his value but the Suns might see it differently and I hope that they do.

I would absolutely love to have Eric Bledsoe but I just feel its not realistic for us at the moment. We should definitely be using the situation and DMC's friendship with Bledose to our advantage but the bottom line is, Phoenix do not have to trade him and can dare him to get a offer sheet from someone. This situation could turn toxic which is where we might come and and offer them something but its still a LONG LONG way off that.

Bledsoe-Gay-Cousins would make a very good trio for us going forward but it does not allow us much wiggle room to get that shot blocker at PF.
That's what I was thinking, if the situation starts to turn worse, it could actually be good for us if Demarcus could recruit him over here.

But I do agree with you about getting that shot blocker.

eric could threaten to sign the qualifying offer and really put phoenix behind the eight ball. they could of course trade him before the deadline also but who would give anything of value to get a 1 year rental? he'd be UFA at the end of the season.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
eric could threaten to sign the qualifying offer and really put phoenix behind the eight ball. they could of course trade him before the deadline also but who would give anything of value to get a 1 year rental? he'd be UFA at the end of the season.
The Kings have said they want to keep those players who fit into the long term plans. I would think they might give up a guy who dose not fit in the long term plans to get Bledsoe and they would take the risk that it is just a one year rental.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This thread really needs to see the end of the tunnel, Bledsoe is going to remain a Sun whether it's playing the waiting game and holding out or just signing for one year and trying his luck again next year to get a max pay day.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This thread really needs to see the end of the tunnel, Bledsoe is going to remain a Sun whether it's playing the waiting game and holding out or just signing for one year and trying his luck again next year to get a max pay day.
You do realize that the best way to kill a thread is to simply quit posting in it, right?

If he signs the qualifying offer then he gets a no trade clause because he loses his bird rights if traded.