Eric Bledsoe

So why not trade him to a team that has more to offer? If Bledsoe pushes the Suns to a point where they have to sign-and-trade him it's a pretty safe bet that they can get something better then Ben McLemore and filler contracts.

I love Bledsoe but just don't think Kings have the assets to get him.
Because it's not the Suns choice, it's Bledsoe's.

Because it's not the Suns choice, it's Bledsoe's.
Except that it isn't. Kings don't have enough cap space to actually sign him to an offer sheet which gives the Suns a lot of ammunition in determining where he can end up.

He can either sign with a team that has cap room leaving the Suns to either match or then attempt to do a sign-and-trade.

Or they can reach a mutual agreement to where they will both look for a team without cap room to sign-and-trade him too. In the second scenario the Suns have as much say in the scenario as Bledsoe does.

Except that it isn't. Kings don't have enough cap space to actually sign him to an offer sheet which gives the Suns a lot of ammunition in determining where he can end up.

He can either sign with a team that has cap room leaving the Suns to either match or then attempt to do a sign-and-trade.

Or they can reach a mutual agreement to where they will both look for a team without cap room to sign-and-trade him too. In the second scenario the Suns have as much say in the scenario as Bledsoe does.
And you missed the point. He could say trade me to the Kings or I will sign the QO and you get nothing. If he signs the QO they can not trade him unless he agrees to the trade.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Section 101 is correct. Sign and trade requires the cooperation of two teams and the player. It's the one way of trading a player where the player has the final say.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
They sure do have a reason. All Bledsoe has to do is say he will sign his QO. Then he can bolt next year and they get nothing. He would have to agree to any trade as he will lose his bird rights.
That's hardly a reason for them to accept bad contracts in return. That's the point. It was package specific. If we offered them an actual package of Ben and enders...maybe, MAYBE, if we were the only ones offering anything they think, well Ben and DWill, they are good in a running game, and all these contracts die in year. So maybe they take that. But it has to be to their advantage. They have no reason at all to actually accept back stuff that will hurt them in the future. They are far from desperate with Bledsoe. they are covered, if he comes back at the QT there will be other offers. They will still have a chance next summer. All better options than relieving us of our worst junk contracts just to give away one of their best players.

Bricklayer

And you missed the point. He could say trade me to the Kings or I will sign the QO and you get nothing. If he signs the QO they can not trade him unless he agrees to the trade.
You call that bluff before you damage your franchise. Then when Miami comes knocking next year, and Houston, and all the other good teams looking to get Bledsoe into their system at a bargain price, you bring it to him. Unless of course you think he'd actually be so determined to get to Sacto he'd turn down a chance to play for a contender.

If we really wanted him we need to put together a nice enough package to make Phoenix think hmm...you know, that's not too bad. Why take a risk/go to all the trouble otherwise? We've got to help them get better with our package. Anything that actually makes their situation worse is even worse than losing Bledsoe for nothing.

I like Bledsoe and think that he would be great PG to get next to Cousins and Gay but I just cannot see how we pull this off. We just don't have the pieces and we don't have cap flexibility to do it.

Cousins-Gay-Stauskas-Bledsoe would be a nice core to build around but I just don't see how we can get this done. If we go ahead with the Bledsoe-Gay-Cousins then Smith is the last person you want at PF.

In which case you have gained little. And at $12-$14mil we barely clear any cap at all without those enders. All these deals go up, eating into that little $6mil or whatever. We're still stuck.
Unless you think Bledsoe cannot be one of our version of "Big Three" (Cousins, Gay, and Bledsoe), I can understand your statement "we gained little".

What I don't understand is the unnecessary concern about giving-up our ending contracts "now" for Bledsoe, as if we are reserving those enders to sign multiple mediocre players again or one superstar player. Correct me if I am wrong, but I sensed that you want to procrastinate and save those enders for the future.

Are you saying we can get a Lebron or a better player than Bledsoe with those enders at some other time?

That's hardly a reason for them to accept bad contracts in return. That's the point. It was package specific. If we offered them an actual package of Ben and enders...maybe, MAYBE, if we were the only ones offering anything they think, well Ben and DWill, they are good in a running game, and all these contracts die in year. So maybe they take that. But it has to be to their advantage. They have no reason at all to actually accept back stuff that will hurt them in the future. They are far from desperate with Bledsoe. they are covered, if he comes back at the QT there will be other offers. They will still have a chance next summer. All better options than relieving us of our worst junk contracts just to give away one of their best players.
Read my post again. Signing the qualifying offer gives Bledsoe a no trade clause.

Bricklayer

Read my post again. Signing the qualifying offer gives Bledsoe a no trade clause.
Which he would cheerfully waive to go to a good team if he thought they would pay him in the end. heck, maybe even a bad team considering he'll be a free agent. Go to Milwaulkee for 4 months, average 20, and cha-ching.

But if he was my client what would happen s that he would end up signing for 4 and $52. My argument to him would be the same one I use to these idiots every time there is a lockout. They've got $12 on the table, I think I can get them to $13. Your qualifying offer is only $3.7. That means that if we go with the QT you will be leaving $9-10mil on the table this year, which means just to break even, we'd have to get a 4yr $57mil next year, $14 per. And that's just break even, while we incur the risk that you get injured in the intervening year. To make that sort of risk worth it we probably need to get the full max next season, and that's after a season in which we're going to be competing with both Goran and Isaiah for shots. I say take the $13 and run. That's $52 million dollars. be smart, and you're set for life. We can aim for max on the next one after you are established.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Which he would cheerfully waive to go to a good team if he thought they would pay him in the end. heck, maybe even a bad team considering he'll be a free agent. Go to Milwaulkee for 4 months, average 20, and cha-ching.

But if he was my client what would happen s that he would end up signing for 4 and $52. My argument to him would be the same one I use to these idiots every time there is a lockout. They've got $12 on the table, I think I can get them to $13. Your qualifying offer is only $3.7. That means that if we go with the QT you will be leaving $9-10mil on the table this year, which means just to break even, we'd have to get a 4yr $57mil next year, $14 per. And that's just break even, while we incur the risk that you get injured in the intervening year. To make that sort of risk worth it we probably need to get the full max next season, and that's after a season in which we're going to be competing with both Goran and Isaiah for shots. I say take the $13 and run. That's $52 million dollars. be smart, and you're set for life. We can aim for max on the next one after you are established.
There's far too much common sense here to apply this to NBA free agency. :) Good rundown though. I could maybe see Houston making a max offer after they got left at the altar by Bosh and settled for Ariza instead of Parsons. They may feel the need to make a big splash this off-season and have a need at PG. Beyond that though, his prospects are dwindling which is why Phoenix is playing hardball here.

Extremely doubtful we get Bledsoe for the primary reason being why would the Suns take back our crap (unless they think McLemore is suddenly going to average 20 a game). The odds are so low it's not even worth getting excited about. Fun to talk about though as we would suddenly be a very different team and certainly more fun to watch.

too bad we don't have the cap space or we could pin the Suns with a huge offer sheet. but I agree there is no realistic scenario for us to get Bledsoe.

I think this FO tries to get their name into every discussion - just a PDA way of doing things in general. "Kings among the interested teams... fill in the blank"

too bad we don't have the cap space or we could pin the Suns with a huge offer sheet. but I agree there is no realistic scenario for us to get Bledsoe.

I think this FO tries to get their name into every discussion - just a PDA way of doing things in general. "Kings among the interested teams... fill in the blank"
I have thought this myself quite a few times. Maybe it's to make it look like we are trying to make something/anything happen?

That's not the point. You said the Suns have no reason to trade him. I pointed out they do have a reason. If Bledsoe takes the QO then the Suns risk having both Bledsoe and Dragic as UFA next year. That is a big risk for them to take and not receive anything back. Not to mention they would be playing with 2 key players they can't really plan on for the future. As an organization that could be a very big reason to get it all sorted out now.

Bricklayer

No, I said the Suns have no reason to trade him for garbage. The proposal I was responding to involved us dumping one of our bad frontcourt deals on them as part of the deal. And there's just no reason they would do that unless one of endless indifferent PFs really floats their boat.

No, I said the Suns have no reason to trade him for garbage. The proposal I was responding to involved us dumping one of our bad frontcourt deals on them as part of the deal. And there's just no reason they would do that unless one of endless indifferent PFs really floats their boat.
They have liked JT for a long time.

Extremely doubtful we get Bledsoe for the primary reason being why would the Suns take back our crap (unless they think McLemore is suddenly going to average 20 a game). The odds are so low it's not even worth getting excited about. Fun to talk about though as we would suddenly be a very different team and certainly more fun to watch.
They don't want to pay him the max and would want assets.

They don't want to pay him the max and would want assets.
Probably true, but if the Suns organization has any intelligent individuals, they already know we can't do a damn thing unless the Suns agree to the players we would give them. Basically, the Suns will dictate how this goes because there only a handful of teams that can offer Bledsoe what he is asking, and we are not one of them. Our only hope is that they agree to take back whatever it is we offer, so that they don't lose him next year. If I were the Kings, my trump card would be (assuming Bledsoe takes the qualifying offer or is thinking about it): "Listen, you didn't want to pay the kid and he will want out next offseason and you will lose him for nothing. The longer you wait to trade him, the less value he has because everyone and their mother will know you are desperate to get something of value in return for him before he leaves. You can, however, avoid said scenario if you are willing to deal with us right now. We have these players available: ______. Take your pick and we will make it work."

** Can be risky if it backfires. Might lose a trade partner for a good while. We have the advantage though, that we have already worked with the Suns very recently indeed. It just so happens, that they have 2 PGs and a rookie PG on the squad already.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have thought this myself quite a few times. Maybe it's to make it look like we are trying to make something/anything happen?
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because they actually ARE trying to make something happen. :D

EDIT: Oops. Looks like pshn80 and I are on the same page. I didn't see his response before I posted mine.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because they actually ARE trying to make something happen. :D

EDIT: Oops. Looks like pshn80 and I are on the same page. I didn't see his response before I posted mine.
Two sides to every coin I suppose. What I meant with that statement is that I hope PDA isn't attempting to make a move for the sake of making a move. It hasn't been very clear with PDA if he truly has a vision or not.

Those who are hesitant on moving mountains to get Eric Bledsoe, you better watch these highlight video.

This kid is a complete player - the "Lebron James" of PGs.

With this kid you can go a long way even without that shot blocker BIG that Cousins wants to be paired with.:p

Eric Bledsoe:
Height without Shoes: 6' 0.25"
Height with Shoes: 6' 1.5"

I'll even rather lose 3 Rudy Gays for this kid.

Watch these videos:

and

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/2013/07/10/BledsoeFinal2mov-2536627

Last edited:
Those who are hesitant on moving mountains to get Eric Bledsoe, you better watch these highlight video.

With this kid you can go a long way even without that shot blocker BIG that Cousins wants to be paired with.:p

Eric Bledsoe:

Watch these videos:

and

I don't think anyone here is against us getting Bledsoe but we are questioning our ability to do it! We do not have the assets. We don't have the draft picks we can temp the suns with. We have limited money to offer which is short of what Bledsoe wants. I think everyone would rather get Bledose than Josh Smith but I just don't think we can see a realistic way of doing it. Phoenix will not be doing us any favors especially since we are in the same division.

I know I would rather build around Cousins-Gay-Bledsoe than Cousins-Smith-Gay but one is more realistic to achieve than the other. It would be a much nicer balanced line up but I am afraid we just have to many bad contracts and not enough youngsters and/or picks to pull it off.

I don't think anyone here is against us getting Bledsoe but we are questioning our ability to do it! We do not have the assets. We don't have the draft picks we can temp the suns with. We have limited money to offer which is short of what Bledsoe wants. I think everyone would rather get Bledose than Josh Smith but I just don't think we can see a realistic way of doing it. Phoenix will not be doing us any favors especially since we are in the same division.

I know I would rather build around Cousins-Gay-Bledsoe than Cousins-Smith-Gay but one is more realistic to achieve than the other. It would be a much nicer balanced line up but I am afraid we just have to many bad contracts and not enough youngsters and/or picks to pull it off.
Are you sure?;)

Im sorry but 14 mil way too much even for Bledsoe

S&T for 10Mil?
The problem with Bledsoe is he wants too much money and already has knee problems at a young age. .............................................................................................................................................................................................

If we are going to gamble with max money and on a PG with a previous knee injury, I would go with Rondo. Pass first and best defender at the PG position when healthy. A true PG vs an attacking PG.
I would like Bledsoe however NOT at that price.
Bledsoe is nt worth that much
Goodness gracious he's a good point guard but not a max guy. I don't blame Phoenix at all tbh
Are you willing to swap Rudy Gay ($19M-big ending contract) to Bledsoe ($15M) plus filler?

Last edited:
Are you willing to swap Rudy Gay ($19M-big ending contract) to Bledsoe ($15M) plus filler?
But that is not even a consideration here. If the reports are true and the front office is interested in Bledsoe, then it certainly won't be to break up the Cousins and Gay combo its to add to it. Front office see Rudy Gay as part of their vision. I agree with them. Now the trick is to add to that duo, not substract from it. Considering the lengths that the front office went to just to get Gay to opt in for that massive final year, there is no way that they will trade him a month later forBledsoe. Its sets a poor example and a dangerous precendent for the franchise. There would not be a good palyer in the NBA that would want to deal with the franchise seriously for years. You just don't do that.

Now, Bledsoe is not a max player at this stage but he might well end up being one and considering some of the other deals handed out this off-season, he might well be worth it based on the market. Having said that, he is a risky move. He had 2 surgeries on the same knee to touch up the meniscus. That is not something that we should overlook that easily considering the way he plays will continue to put a lot of stress on those knees. I would still be prepared to go for it and add him to Cousins and Gay which would really inject some much needed talent to the team but I am not sure we realistically have what it takes to make it happen.

Going with what Čarolija said, you basically make the rest of your roster available and label Cousins and Gay as untouchables. Those two plus Bledsoe make up an excellent core. You can build around a core like that. Only Rudy has entered his prime (only 27!). I would sign him for 13 million a year with incentives. I don't think Bledsoe quite deserves a max offer at this stage. Maybe for his next contract, but not this one.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Pretty sure. Look at your own quotes again.

The money, not the player, is the issue. Could we have put ourselves in a financially flexible position for this offseason? Probably, but then we wouldn't have Gay. We could have had a little more wiggle room here or there even with Gay, but my guess is the FO (or much of the NBA) didn't think about clearing space for RFA. I can't really blame them, because that usually means really overpaying a player to get him away from his current team.

Eric Bledsoe:

Watch these videos:

and

How Phoenix was able to get him for Jared Dudley is extremely hard to fathom o_O