Emeka Okafor

KT for Okafor - Pull the trigger?

• Total voters
the new orleans hornets are going nowhere this year .... they have already fired their coach and their owner is always looking to trim payroll and operate in the cheap.... we all know that chris paul is off limits and was just injured today... if the injury is serious to keep CP3 out for a while, the hornets season will be done....

emeka okafor has a hefty contract.... somewhere along the lines of 5 years 60 million... he is a solid 6'10" 255lbs... is a solid defender and shot blocker.... he is 27 years old, just entering his prime.... he will give you a consistent double-double of 14 points 10 rebounds and 2 blocks per game

i think he could be had for a large expiring (Kenny Thomas) and a young replacement center (Spence Hawes).... the kings need defense, rebounding and shot blocking and okafor gives you that in the middle, as opposed to the 3 point shooting of hawes..... the salaries work out also

i think this would put the kings back in contention for a low to mid playoff seed immediatley (#6-8 seed)....

PF Jason Thompson Greene Brockman
SF Andres Nocioni Casspi
C Emeka Okafor Thompson May
SG Kevin Martin Udoka Garcia
PG Tyreke Evans Udrich Rodriguez

A

AriesMar27

hell no... we still wouldnt have a back up center and he has injury issues as well...

You want to bring one of the most injury-prone player to this Indian burial ground that is the Arco? I don't see how it can end well.

Ide go after Tyson Chandler 1st, we need to save his carreer. Maybe even Raja or Augaustin in a package with Tyson... I dont knoooo.

TRADE MARTIN

the new orleans hornets are going nowhere this year .... they have already fired their coach and their owner is always looking to trim payroll and operate in the cheap.... we all know that chris paul is off limits and was just injured today... if the injury is serious to keep CP3 out for a while, the hornets season will be done....

emeka okafor has a hefty contract.... somewhere along the lines of 5 years 60 million... he is a solid 6'10" 255lbs... is a solid defender and shot blocker.... he is 27 years old, just entering his prime.... he will give you a consistent double-double of 14 points 10 rebounds and 2 blocks per game

i think he could be had for a large expiring (Kenny Thomas) and a young replacement center (Spence Hawes).... the kings need defense, rebounding and shot blocking and okafor gives you that in the middle, as opposed to the 3 point shooting of hawes..... the salaries work out also

i think this would put the kings back in contention for a low to mid playoff seed immediatley (#6-8 seed)....

PF Jason Thompson Greene Brockman
SF Andres Nocioni Casspi
C Emeka Okafor Thompson May
SG Kevin Martin Udoka Garcia
PG Tyreke Evans Udrich Rodriguez
Why. Why. why would we want such a thing????

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Okafor would be an undersized center as well as being injured a lot. He's hardly the cats meow. He's not a bad player when healthy, but he's not an upper tier player by any means. He'd be a huge risk with his contract.
I'd rather have Dalembert, who is just as good in the rebounding dept and has legit size. And a shorter contract..

Why. Why. why would we want such a thing????
Exactly. It's alright if we make the playoffs with our current squad, guys we know are going to stick around for a few years. But trading for players that are older, have bigger contracts, and are committed to sticking around is just going to end up in us being stuck mediocrity for the next several years.

per Amicks twitter: A source with knowledge of situation says #nbakings and New Orleans have had discussions regarding an Emeka Okafor for Kenny Thomas deal.

Okafor would be an undersized center as well as being injured a lot. He's hardly the cats meow. He's not a bad player when healthy, but he's not an upper tier player by any means. He'd be a huge risk with his contract.
I'd rather have Dalembert, who is just as good in the rebounding dept and has legit size. And a shorter contract..
Emeka is a far better rebounder, scorer, and defender than Dalembert and is just about as good a shot blocker.

If you can get him for Kenny F'n Thomas because they are trimming salary you do it in a heartbeat.

Emeka has played 82 games for the last two seasons so the injury issues seem to be a thing of the past.

As has been mentioned many other places, many times... do the Kings really have much of a realistic shot at a big name FA signing even if we do have money?

Probably not is my guess... in which case we need to get someone via trade. Okafor + Tyreke + KMart + JT is a solid nucleus... but the Emeke contract does seem a little steep. :confused:

As has been mentioned many other places, many times... do the Kings really have much of a realistic shot at a big name FA signing even if we do have money?

Probably not is my guess... in which case we need to get someone via trade. Okafor + Tyreke + KMart + JT is a solid nucleus... but the Emeke contract does seem a little steep. :confused:
Definitely worth considering, especially if the team remains in contention (or close to it) when Kmart returns.
Okeafor helps now, and is young enough to be a part of this the next 5 years.

If they find a way to drop Garcia/Noc (or maybe even Martin), there's still a lot of flexibility for extending the kids.

If this team slumps like last year, I don't do this deal, and take a chance on a rookie big.

To the people that said Emeka Is injury prone.. He played all 82 games last seasond and all 82 the year before.

I'm soooo FOR this trade. Our interior defense would greatly improve.. Okafor fits nice with Thompsons outside game. Our bench would be sooo much deeper with Hawes coming off of it. It gives us alot of versaility with our big guys.

Im saying get this trade done.

well if this were to happen, i think it would be more likely that one of our 4 sf would get traded for expirings to help open up a little cap space for this summer...

We would have the MLE, about 5 mil to spend on a player. ( like how the celtics got rasheed Wallace when they were at or per the cap )

Yah.. so all of our cap room would be taken pretty much eh... hmm. Its a tough call.. but really who are we going to get this offseason with that money?

If we get Okafor then our bigs are set for the future.

And we still have trade bait in Martin/Nocioni to try and add more pieces.

I think if we make the right moves we could be contending alot sooner then we thought..

Eh I honestly kind of think that Okafor is a bum. Not to excited. Yeah he's big and he's a good back up PF/C but we're really going to pay the money for that player? Eh no thanks. I'll keep Kenny, he has been good at hustling and getting boards and his contract expires.

hm, this is interesting. i'm not fond of the size of emeka okafor's contract, but i am in agreement with those who say that the kings aren't exactly poised to lure one of the top tier free agents this summer. the kings are already at the small market disadvantage, and, in all likelihood, most of the '10 free agent class will just re-sign with their present teams, given the uncertainty of an ever-plummeting salary cap...

but back to okafor. i really like the idea of his defensive presence on this increasingly-scrappy kings team. okafor is not exactly the piece that completes the puzzle, but i think he would be a really valuable addition to a young, improving front court. the kings are already showing an increased desire and focus on crashing the boards, and okafor would only help bolster that culture. the kings are still a weak defensive team up front, and okafor would be a big step towards shoring that up. he's a much better defensive player than many here are giving him credit for. he's also a smart player on the offensive end of the court. he plays within himself, and shoots a high percentage. not to mention he's still relatively young, but has enough veteran experience to stagger our youth movement a little...

with okafor, the frontline rotation would, more or less, be solidified, and the front office could focus on adding depth to the PG position. beno has been playing out-of-his-mind, but i worry about the sustainability of his level of play, and i'm still convinced that the kings are gonna like tyreke better at the OG position. that said, if the kings can manage to fleece the hornets with a thomas for okafor swap (clearly a salary dump on NO part), i'm even more inclined to hope that the kings pursue trade considerations for kevin martin. a trade package featuring kevin martin might be able to net a high-level piece that fits better with these surprising new-look kings...

Last edited: