Elf Payton

Should we pursue Elf Payton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sactowndog brought this up in the Garrett Temple thread:

The biggest thing about Garrett is his leadership in the locker room. That would be missed the most. If he does opt out, the Kings need a backup point. Do the go with a vet or take a flyer on Elf Peyton?
So? What's the feeling about Elf Payton?

Personally, I can't get past his hair. It's mesmerizing to the point where I lose track of what's happening. It's like watching a guy play with a squirrel on his head.

I would take Elfrid Payton on a "show me" contract.

A reasonable back up point guard contract, i.e. 5-6 mil per year for 2-3 years would be good.

Any thing more than that, I would just roll with Mason as the backup PG.

He was my pick in 2014 as I bought into the Rondo comparisions, and the new doo looks good.

I'm just focused on a SF in free agency and want to see how Bogdan runs the floor as much as possible while Fox sits.

His hair over last number of years shows whats most important to him. Him cuttng it might be a sign he ready to grow up and focus on his career. Mighy be worth a flyer but only on a cheap deal. Hard to ever see him learning to shoot though

He's actually pretty decent from what i've seen him play. He is a better passer than Fox at this point and probably a better over player than mason. Plus he is young so he is improving. People just hated on him because his hair and didn't really take him serious, so hopefully that changes.

sactowndog brought this up in the Garrett Temple thread:

So? What's the feeling about Elf Payton?

Personally, I can't get past his hair. It's mesmerizing to the point where I lose track of what's happening. It's like watching a guy play with a squirrel on his head.
He cut it

He's in a very similar vein to Hezonja to me, just at a position we don't really need. I do think the talent is there to be a good player, but we don't need to spend 8+mil on a back-up PG at this point.

I like his game a lot but two things he could beat out Fox for minutes considering he's somewhat in his prime and a capable starting PG and more physically mature and he's similar to Fox in a lot of ways although more pass first. For that reason I would pass I rather see him on like a Wizards team or somewhere like that he can help without being a threat to outplay the guy we hope to build around.

Back up PG is the least of our worries. Mason will be better in year 2. Much bigger holes to fill.
I would say it’s our second worry after SF. We don’t need more bigs at this point. I like what we have with Bogi and Buddy.

If Temple stays we decline Coboclo/Hayes and sign a backup point on a cheap deal like Mack. If Temple leaves we keep one of Hayes/Coboclo and sign Hezonja and a back up point

Bogi and Temple can both handle the ball for 3-5 minute stretches, Bogi even more. Not saying I would take a buy low flyer on payton, something like a 3 year deal in the 9-12MM total range with the 3rd year being a team option, but nothing more than that.

I'm telling you guys. Fred VanVleet is the one guy in this whole free agency class who's stock is about to start soaring.

When you look at players that take a year or two to develop, his season last year has all the earmarks of a player that is on a 45* trajectory to start racing up the charts. I would offer him a deal that the Raptors can't match and snatch him away as quickly as possible. He has the potential to be the Kings best player (Bagley and Giles withstanding).