Do you LIKE the idea of Coach Whis being the new Kings coach?

Do you LIKE the idea of Coach Whis becoming the new Kings head coach?

• Total voters
Not only am I against the idea of Coach Whis but if he's going to be the coach of the Kings I'm going to find a new team to root for until the Maloofs get their minds right. I'm thinking Chicago or Cleveland are pretty fun teams to watch.

Kev.in said:
Not only am I against the idea of Coach Whis but if he's going to be the coach of the Kings I'm going to find a new team to root for until the Maloofs get their minds right. I'm thinking Chicago or Cleveland are pretty fun teams to watch.
Please do go find a new team to root for, just don't come back. Thick and thin!!!! I am ok with Coach Whiz. He is not my first and maybe not my second choice, but I will always root for the Sacramento Kings!

see ya!

I'll still follow the Kings and root for some of the individuals on the team, but I won't care about the wins/losses. To me, hiring Whisenant is a joke of a move. If you're serious about winning you don't hire a guy like this. When the Maloofs get serious, I'll get serious again. Until then you can enjoy the Gold Standard and cross your fingers and hope that Petrie doesn't dig up that resignation letter he almost turned in during the John Thomas era.

Kev.in said:
I'll still follow the Kings and root for some of the individuals on the team, but I won't care about the wins/losses. To me, hiring Whisenant is a joke of a move. If you're serious about winning you don't hire a guy like this. When the Maloofs get serious, I'll get serious again. Until then you can enjoy the Gold Standard and cross your fingers and hope that Petrie doesn't dig up that resignation letter he almost turned in during the John Thomas era.

So, if a serious coaching candidate is what you're looking for, you were in agreement when the Kings hired Dick Motta or Bill Russell who were both quality coaches with previous NBA teams? Both had success elsewhere, but they didn't do crap with the Kings. Granted, they didn't have the talent pool to work with that the Kings have now, but the fact remains that Whisenhunt has had success with the Monarchs, and what's to say he CAN'T do it?

Personally, I don't think he's the right choice, but I think the fact the Maloofs are considering him means they ARE serious about this. If they weren't serious, they would probably be looking to recycle an old coach like Del Harris, Larry Brown, PJ, or Don Nelson just so the team keeps credibility with a big-name coach on the sideline. But, the fact that the Maloofs are looking elsewhere, to me, shows they REALLY are serious about this. I mean...who would consider promoting their WNBA coach to lead their NBA team? Only somebody that was on crack...or somebody who knew something the rest of the public didn't.

Whisenhunt has quietly made a name for himself as one of the WNBA's premiere coaches, and what's to say he can't translate that to the men's game. To repeat myself...HE'S NOT MY FIRST PICK, but I think it's unfair to him and to the Maloofs for us to 2nd guess their judgements and jump ship after so many years of loyalty. If they're considering this guy it's because they feel he can do a good job. Until they fail the Kings and their fans, why turn their backs on them now?

They'll get the right guy! It's just a matter of time. I think it's Mario Ellie, but that's just me. As fans we need to be patient and not be like the Laker fans who jumped on the Clippers bandwagon this year or the Dodger fans that jumped on the Angels bandwagon in 2002 only to jump back the next year when success finds us again. Stay true to your team through think and thin! We did it through the rediculous ownership of Jim Thomas...why not now?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Amanjoy said:
So, if a serious coaching candidate is what you're looking for, you were in agreement when the Kings hired Dick Motta or Bill Russell who were both quality coaches with previous NBA teams? Both had success elsewhere, but they didn't do crap with the Kings. Granted, they didn't have the talent pool to work with that the Kings have now, but the fact remains that Whisenhunt has had success with the Monarchs, and what's to say he CAN'T do it?

Personally, I don't think he's the right choice, but I think the fact the Maloofs are considering him means they ARE serious about this. If they weren't serious, they would probably be looking to recycle an old coach like Del Harris, Larry Brown, PJ, or Don Nelson just so the team keeps credibility with a big-name coach on the sideline. But, the fact that the Maloofs are looking elsewhere, to me, shows they REALLY are serious about this. I mean...who would consider promoting their WNBA coach to lead their NBA team? Only somebody that was on crack...or somebody who knew something the rest of the public didn't.

Whisenhunt has quietly made a name for himself as one of the WNBA's premiere coaches, and what's to say he can't translate that to the men's game. To repeat myself...HE'S NOT MY FIRST PICK, but I think it's unfair to him and to the Maloofs for us to 2nd guess their judgements and jump ship after so many years of loyalty. If they're considering this guy it's because they feel he can do a good job. Until they fail the Kings and their fans, why turn their backs on them now?

They'll get the right guy! It's just a matter of time. I think it's Mario Ellie, but that's just me. As fans we need to be patient and not be like the Laker fans who jumped on the Clippers bandwagon this year or the Dodger fans that jumped on the Angels bandwagon in 2002 only to jump back the next year when success finds us again. Stay true to your team through think and thin! We did it through the rediculous ownership of Jim Thomas...why not now?
For the record? The man's name is WHISENANT.

Kev.in said:
I don't understand jumping ship on the Maloofs when so far they've never failed us with their decisions. Jim Thomas was a small-town Donald Sterling in the mid-90's, and we lived through it! Now one questionable by the Maloofs and some SPECULATION that the Maloofs are looking to promote a WNBA coach...and you're ready to jump ship! That's a little rediculous in my opinion!

Personally I feel the Maloofs wouldn't be doing something this unorthodox if they weren't serious about finding the right coach for the Kings. If they were just worried about the team's credibility, they'd hire some old fossil with a name like Larry Brown, PJ, Del Harris, or Don Nelson. But, they haven't gone that direction. Instead they're looking at the possibility of giving someone else a chance to shine with a very favorable situation here in Sacramento. Remember that all the previously mentioned coaches were once given a first chance as well.

Now, I still don't feel Wisenant is the guy for the Kings. But, I think accustions that the MAloofs are being rediculous or incompentent are unfair on our part. Them and Petrie have never failed us before, and what's to say they'll do it now?

Mario Ellie for coach!

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Ryle said:
Why is HELL NO not an option???

I would rather have Adelman back than a WNBA coach so you pretty much can deduce that I don't like the decision.....if this is indeed the decision
Right, how could I forget: the only thing in life that Ryle hates more than Rick Adelman is women's basketball... :rolleyes:

Somone call the Maloofs now. Tell them to go to kingsfans.com and check out the poll regarding if we like the idea of Whis being the next Kings coach. Tell them that 89.09% fans say NO.

No Way

A friend of mine and I werre discussing this, for the Kings to go out and hire a WNBA coach with no NBA experience to replace one of the winningest coaches of all time, he would have overachieve by phenomenal standards to get respect from players, coaches and most importanly the people who pay the bills, us fans.

He would have to start out 18-2 or something ridiculous like that, even then we would all be saying it is a fluke.

Coaching women is 1,000,000,000,000 % different than coaching men.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think this is the right move, I wouldn't say I liked it and there are some things that downright bother me about this if it goes through as discussed most specifically that he'd coach the Monarchs through the end of the WNBA season. That said I don't think this is all doom and gloom either, I just had higher hopes that one of the guys from my shortlist would get the job since two have already been interviewed. But I do prefer this to bringing in Larry Brown or a college coach. I think a WNBA coach may have an easier time adjusting than a college coach but it will still be an interesting ride. If he's successful it would be nice to be on the right side of NBA history.

Rockmeister said:
Somone call the Maloofs now. Tell them to go to kingsfans.com and check out the poll regarding if we like the idea of Whis being the next Kings coach. Tell them that 89.09% fans say NO.
I've already made calls and sent an e-mail to my ticket guy but I doubt it will help at all.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bottom line is that no mater who they hired, givne who was avalialbe MOST fans would see it as a step down from Rick Adelman. Wiz, PJC, Mus, Mario it realy did not matter much from a pleasing the fans perspective. Now Wiz minamal NBA expecience may look like a strike against him but the guy HAS been a head coach and has won a championship. I support his hireing no more than I would have anyone else on the list but I will give him a fair shake. I refuse to pass judgment untill next seasons all star break.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Is blood thicker than water? Is the New Mexico connection thicker than apparent clear water of getting someone with NBA playing and coaching experience? NBA players are a bunch of spoiled kids 90% of whom make more than a coach. As Mike Lamb just implied (4:30±pm) overpaid NBA players can resist, even covertly, something they don't like or go along with.

The biggest missing element of Coach Whis is "credibility". He didn't play NBA and he hasn't coached NBA. He could be great and I am sure he has a great personality and gets along with everyone. He has been successful in College and WNBA, but no college coach, from Rick Pitino on down has been successful coming directly to the NBA. Even via WNBA.

Bottom line: NBA players are NOT like real estate clients, 18-20 year old college players nor WNBA players. They are unique, problematic, head strong and above all, rich kids still in their 20's and early 30's. They HAVE to be unique and head strong to succeed in the NBA.

If blood is thicker than water then look for someone who shares the personality the Maloof's seem to want in a coach. Henry Turner would be great in some regimes but he was quiet, mild mannered yet with a strong hand.

I'm not against Coach Whis, as a number of others have said in the two previous pages, he is not my first or second choice. And maybe he can do well. I just think it is too high a risk at this point and with this group of players.

(P.S. down here in Santa Cruz we have viewed the Maloof brothers as "The Pair of Otters". They play and get excited just like otter siblings.)

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
where is the i don't care box. A coach has never meant that much to me. Now i wouldn't want just anybody off the street or anything but, i don't see coaches these days having as much impact as years past. they get alot of credit but its not them at all. Take cleveland Silas fired then they do better and then make playoffs. Is this the coach??? or is it Lebron growing in the NBA. Take larry Brown. he wins the championship and ppl call him one of the best of all time yet he leads New York to the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Now if you are the best coach you could win more games than that with that crew right???. The Lakers won 10 more games this year than last year PHIL???? I don't think so.

My true feeling is ANY team together long enough is going to be better every year. Look at the main players for the 2 teams in the championship last year. very similar starting five for at least 2 years. One of those teams get a new coach and have an even better record than the championship year. speaking of Flip Saunders. he couldn't get the MINN crew in the playoffs and it was the exact same crew he had the year before that made it to the WCF Flip Saunders fault??? i think Not.

Amanjoy said:

I was 9 years old, living in San Jose and didn't know or care about the Sacramento Kings when Dick Motta was hired.

Whisenant is a Maloof family "buddy". He's a guy they're friendly with and I don't like the idea of that. I'd rather the new coach have a connection with our best basketball mind, Geoff Petrie. Towards the end of the season the Maloofs sat courtside and shouted "instructions" at Rick Adelman. Apparently he didn't respond well. Maybe Whisenant will be more open to in-game coaching advice?

The reason I wouldn't stick with them now is as a protest. The Maloofs should be smarter than this. If I don't spend money and my time watching them, it sends a message. They have the Golden Standard and I have my own standards. If 88% of the informed fans do the same the message will be heard loud and clear. If it's going to work out, then all is forgiven. The thing is, we've got the whole spectrum here expressing disgust at this idea. KingsFans.com is usually pretty split, even on the Artest trade. The last time I saw this much of a near unanimous disapproval was when the gold alternate jerseys came out.

I don't like the idea at all, but I say lets wait and see if he is indeed the coach. There is still a chance he might not be.

I don't like the idea of you ruining my holiday weekend VF :D

Lets hope your scource is wrong :mad: ;)

Entity said:
where is the i don't care box. A coach has never meant that much to me. Now i wouldn't want just anybody off the street or anything but, i don't see coaches these days having as much impact as years past. they get alot of credit but its not them at all. Take cleveland Silas fired then they do better and then make playoffs. Is this the coach??? or is it Lebron growing in the NBA. Take larry Brown. he wins the championship and ppl call him one of the best of all time yet he leads New York to the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Now if you are the best coach you could win more games than that with that crew right???. The Lakers won 10 more games this year than last year PHIL???? I don't think so.
A coach doesn't mean everything, but he could be the key ingredient to getting a team over the top. Look at Avery and the Mavs. His stress on defense put the Mavs over the Spurs. A coach can matter, just like a manager can matter in a business, or a father can matter in a household.

Kev.in said:
The reason I wouldn't stick with them now is as a protest. The Maloofs should be smarter than this. If I don't spend money and my time watching them, it sends a message. They have the Golden Standard and I have my own standards. If 88% of the informed fans do the same the message will be heard loud and clear. If it's going to work out, then all is forgiven. The thing is, we've got the whole spectrum here expressing disgust at this idea. KingsFans.com is usually pretty split, even on the Artest trade. The last time I saw this much of a near unanimous disapproval was when the gold alternate jerseys came out.
Yeah, but by going on strike we would have to stop giving support to a team we love. I personally don't think Coach Whis is the answer, but I'm not about to stop supporting my team over it. If I could survive the Webber trade, I'm sure I can survive the Maloofs picking a coach that wouldn't be my first choice!

lol... yes, the gold jerseys probably were an equally unpopular decision. Unfortunately the coach has a lot more impact on the team than the jerseys they wear! :(

I think Elie would have been a far more qualified coach. Granted I want Adelman back but that's going to happen and I also expected another stupid Maloof move.

It's disrespectful to the Monarchs too.

SacTownKid said:
I wouldn't mind it. Unconventional, but I would accept him as the leader if he were chosen.
I would accept him...but I still dont have to agree with taking a 'gamble' in bringing in a WNBA coach with little coaching experience even WITH that on his resume. They said he's a great defensive-minded coach who is a great motivator. Hell, couldnt they have hired Elie as coach, and then just bring in Tony freaking Robbins to talk for a bit, if they wanted a motivator??

W

West_Gunslinger16

This is hard. I can't say yes! I can't say no! I'll just have to wait and see Coach Whiz coach the Kings before saying anything else. Question. Is it really him? When's the official statement?

Circa_1985_Fan said:
I would accept him...but I still dont have to agree with taking a 'gamble' in bringing in a WNBA coach with little coaching experience even WITH that on his resume. They said he's a great defensive-minded coach who is a great motivator. Hell, couldnt they have hired Elie as coach, and then just bring in Tony freaking Robbins to talk for a bit, if they wanted a motivator??
The "gambles" have paid off so far, lets see what the next one has in store.