Devin Carter to undergo shoulder surgery

I agree that we will most likely be better for the following reasons:

1- DDR is a big talent upgrade
2- what does a full year of the end of the season defense look like?
3- Keegan Murray improvement
4- on paper our bench is better than last year.

Having said that, I’m not sure the West is weaker. The only team we know for sure is worse is LAC. They aren’t going to fall to the bottom though with two elite scorers surrounded by elite defenders, rim protection and high level coaching. The Nuggets could be worse but they had a weird year anyway last season and I’m a big fan of the additions of Saric and Holmes on the bench. They will also be hungry after last season’s failure. Memphis is going to be a big problem. Injury concerns are there but they have just as good of a chance at 50 wins as we do. The Spurs could make an OKC from two years ago like jump. Wemby looks insane this summer, CB/Barnes steady the ship and they prob will actually try to win this year. Houston will prob make a big trade at the deadline and if the Suns are flailing I’d imagine it will be for Durant. It’s going to be a nutso season.
To be clear, I don't necessarily think the west will get substantially weaker, but I do think it will be marginally weaker. It will remain the stronger conference, but I expect some combination of the Clippers, Nuggets, Lakers, Warriors, and Suns to fall in the standings next season due to some combination of talent loss, age, injury, and/or inaction. And I'm curious to see if Danny Ainge decides to bottom out the Jazz to give himself the best shot at Cooper Flagg. Yes, there will be risers in the conference. OKC's already at the top of the west, but they'll be even better next season. Memphis will certainly be better. Houston could be better. San Antonio could be better. But if the big stars of yesterday belong to teams that are no longer particularly big threats, then I like the Kings chances of breaking above the play-in line. Lebron, Durant, Curry, Leonard, Harden, etc. are all a year older, and without considerable roster improvement around them, it's hard to imagine their teams achieving more than the mediocrity they achieved last season, and I imagine more than one of those teams will buckle beneath the weight of age, injury, and inaction.

Not really. There's not a whole lot of value in having like a 16 spread for your "range". Because if we're saying 38 is a lower end proj, then 54-55 has to be the upper range in that set.
yeah in a league that is increasingly packed with teams of a similar level a 16 win spread from best to worst does not seem all that unreasonable.

To be clear, I don't necessarily think the west will get substantially weaker, but I do think it will be marginally weaker. It will remain the stronger conference, but I expect some combination of the Clippers, Nuggets, Lakers, Warriors, and Suns to fall in the standings next season due to some combination of talent loss, age, injury, and/or inaction. And I'm curious to see if Danny Ainge decides to bottom out the Jazz to give himself the best shot at Cooper Flagg. Yes, there will be risers in the conference. OKC's already at the top of the west, but they'll be even better next season. Memphis will certainly be better. Houston could be better. San Antonio could be better. But if the big stars of yesterday belong to teams that are no longer particularly big threats, then I like the Kings chances of breaking above the play-in line. Lebron, Durant, Curry, Leonard, Harden, etc. are all a year older, and without considerable roster improvement around them, it's hard to imagine their teams achieving more than the mediocrity they achieved last season, and I imagine more than one of those teams will buckle beneath the weight of age, injury, and inaction.
I think part of the Kings current plan is to feast on the weaker teams. That was the issue last season and it sure looked like the Kings were so erratic because when that DHO got snuffed or shots didn't fall out of it, the Kings went from top seed to tank team in a hurry and it didn't matter the ability of the opponent. DDR in theory should best help against beating these bad teams and help getting to the foul line at home. Also, lets see how the tank race plays out late in the year. We've probably all seen the hype on Cooper Flagg by now. If he looks the part at Duke, and they usually actually do pretty well showcasing players like him there where it's very hit and miss with their guards and bigs, this could be a race for the first pick like we rarely see.

I think part of the Kings current plan is to feast on the weaker teams. That was the issue last season and it sure looked like the Kings were so erratic because when that DHO got snuffed or shots didn't fall out of it, the Kings went from top seed to tank team in a hurry and it didn't matter the ability of the opponent. DDR in theory should best help against beating these bad teams and help getting to the foul line at home. Also, lets see how the tank race plays out late in the year. We've probably all seen the hype on Cooper Flagg by now. If he looks the part at Duke, and they usually actually do pretty well showcasing players like him there where it's very hit and miss with their guards and bigs, this could be a race for the first pick like we rarely see.
The tank race should be very robust in the east, with up to five or six teams who have the potential to bottom out. Curious how tanking will look in the west, though. Portland is the only obvious shoe-in for a top-5 pick in the whole conference. Memphis obviously should be better. Houston theoretically should be better. San Antonio possibly could be better, though it would not surprise me in the least if they were strategic enough to keep themselves in the upper half of the lottery. And until Ainge trades Markkanen, the Jazz will be too competitive for true tank positioning. Injuries will be the thing to watch. Are there any western conference squads that suffer any major injury setbacks, which could potentially inform a pivot into tank mode?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I consider that 22-23 we overachieved by 3-6 games (I had us pegged at 45-50 but was in the highly optimistic camp).

I think we underachieved by 3-6 games last season. And we have gotten better this offseason. So I think any under .500 projection without a massive and major injury early in the season is beyond just pessimistic.

And as Padrino and others point out, there will be plenty of teams happy to punch their lotto ticket this year vs. last year when there really wasn't much difference between picking 8th and 20th when you look at projections vs. reality. Teams that know they are out of the running will sell and go all in at a shot for Flagg.

I consider that 22-23 we overachieved by 3-6 games (I had us pegged at 45-50 but was in the highly optimistic camp).

I think we underachieved by 3-6 games last season. And we have gotten better this offseason. So I think any under .500 projection without a massive and major injury early in the season is beyond just pessimistic.

And as Padrino and others point out, there will be plenty of teams happy to punch their lotto ticket this year vs. last year when there really wasn't much difference between picking 8th and 20th when you look at projections vs. reality. Teams that know they are out of the running will sell and go all in at a shot for Flagg.
it’s not just one team you have to consider. Memphis is significantly better, Houston will be much better, San Antonio will be better. Pels will
be as good. I’m not projecting my low end range but if we are not jelling and playing well
I could see a late tank to keep the pick.

The tank race should be very robust in the east, with up to five or six teams who have the potential to bottom out. Curious how tanking will look in the west, though. Portland is the only obvious shoe-in for a top-5 pick in the whole conference. Memphis obviously should be better. Houston theoretically should be better. San Antonio possibly could be better, though it would not surprise me in the least if they were strategic enough to keep themselves in the upper half of the lottery. And until Ainge trades Markkanen, the Jazz will be too competitive for true tank positioning. Injuries will be the thing to watch. Are there any western conference squads that suffer any major injury setbacks, which could potentially inform a pivot into tank mode?
well keep in mind OKC can swap for Houston’s 1st if Top 10 or the Clippers pick. Neither Pheonix nor the Lakers own their pick so they are not tanking. Denver’s first round pick goes to Orlando. Minnesota’s first round pick goes to Utah.

so not sure who would be tanking in the west.

His rebounding numbers as a guard - with a torn labrum - are mind boggling. That is one tough player.

I think the one area that the surgery will help the most is his handle (it’ll be easier to use his left without the shoulder ache and instability.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It takes a long time to get back to full range of motion. Then you have to rebuild strength and get up to game speed. Kings are also probably trying to protect the kid from himself.
From my own shoulder experience the rehab began around the 3 month mark, and it was 2-3 months. I know some are speculating the update will be at the start of rehab, but I'm kind of inclined to go with this - they're letting him know his health and full recovery are their priority.

And I'm curious to see if Danny Ainge decides to bottom out the Jazz to give himself the best shot at Cooper Flagg.
You'd think Ainge would make that decision before the season starts, not by the near all-star break deadline which would likely be way too late.

So, with that in mind -- is it possible for the KINGS to still be a contender for Markkannen?

The rumors were that they had a viable offer on the table before an imposed deadline then pivoting to DDR.

HB and Duarte are now gone from any potential trade situation, but Huerter's salary is very similar to Markkannen's. The questions would be how many draft picks would it take (he is an expiring contract) on top of that salary swap AND could the KINGS get Lauri to agree to an extension AND can they manage it under the cap?

I would think with the cap expected to rise 10% or so going forward with the new digital rights deal -- they could be willing to hit the apron temporarily if need be. IDK.

Also, would Ainge possibly like Devin Carter (whom he could sit all season) as part of the deal, counting toward one of the FRP's? Would the KINGS be willing to make a deal with Carter in the mix?

All I know is, finding a way to add Lauri Markkanen after landing DDR all while not surrendering any of the major core would be NICE!

Last edited:
You'd think Ainge would make that decision before the season starts, not by the near all-star break deadline which would likely be way too late.

So, with that in mind -- is it possible for the KINGS to still be a contender for Markkannen?

The rumors were that they had a viable offer on the table before an imposed deadline then pivoting to DDR.

HB and Duarte are now gone from any potential trade situation, but Huerter's salary is very similar to Markkannen's. The questions would be how many draft picks would it take (he is an expiring contract) on top of that salary swap AND could the KINGS get Lauri to agree to an extension AND can they manage it under the cap?

I would think with the cap expected to rise 10% or so going forward with the new digital rights deal -- they could be willing to hit the apron temporarily if need be. IDK.

Also, would Ainge possibly like Devin Carter (whom he could sit all season) as part of the deal, counting toward one of the FRP's? Would the KINGS be willing to make a deal with Carter in the mix?

All I know is, finding a way to add Lauri Markkanen after landing DDR all while not surrendering any of the major core would be NICE!
You’d pretty easily be a 2nd apron team (even if you’re trading Carter) once Fox, Murray, and Ellis are on new deals.

It sounded like the Jazz were looking at wanting like Bridges levels of picks more than anything. I don't think the Kings can even do that, especially now with the DDR trade involving another up in the air pick swap which could lower the value of that pick in a re-trade. This Lauri stuff has all the makings of having no actual realistic intentions of letting a player go.

Feels weird sitting on a 22-year-old prospect for an entire year. In his 2nd year, we’ll have to treat him like a rookie who goes through highs and lows. Going into his 3rd year, he’ll be 24/25 with only 1 year of playing experience. Then year 4 comes and he’ll already be in his contract year at 25/26.

I would understand taking the injury risk and red shirting if he was an 18-year-old skilled playmaker like Topic with star upside… but someone who most fans see as a potential high level role player? Sheeesh

edit: I haven’t been a fan of this draft pick, but I wish he could’ve shut me up this year. Waiting a whole year seems like an eternity

Feels weird sitting on a 22-year-old prospect for an entire year. In his 2nd year, we’ll have to treat him like a rookie who goes through highs and lows. Going into his 3rd year, he’ll be 24/25 with only 1 year of playing experience. Then year 4 comes and he’ll already be in his contract year at 25/26.

I would understand taking the injury risk and red shirting if he was an 18-year-old skilled playmaker like Topic with star upside… but someone who most fans see as a potential high level role player? Sheeesh
So called “experts” have no clue. Perhaps Monte views him highly. I’d take his evaluation over media “experts”