Devin Carter to undergo shoulder surgery

Do we know why he just got surgery now instead of after the college season ended? Seems like an odd decision. Of course he wouldn't have been able to workout at the combine and for teams, but on the other hand if he got it sooner he would be able to play more his rookie year. Kings prob still would have drafted him I'd think.

Do we know why he just got surgery now instead of after the college season ended? Seems like an odd decision. Of course he wouldn't have been able to workout at the combine and for teams, but on the other hand if he got it sooner he would be able to play more his rookie year. Kings prob still would have drafted him I'd think.
You must've skipped reading the last 5 pages. He got injured during pre-draft workout.

Because you don't always need surgery for it. Plenty of people can nurse them and he likely did all of last season. This sounds like a just get it done kind of thing rather than letting it potentially get worse. Even Huerter last season maybe could have come back if necessary. If we knew how many players were playing with torn this or that we'd probably be surprised how many players are constantly in maintenance mode.

I think this all but guarantees Huerter is on the team this year... which is fine by me. Only good things I think getting him in a bench role and a bigger offensive USG. And then next season, on an expiring, hopefully rebuilds some of his value and we can flip him.

Carter basically becomes a "deadline acquisition" sort of impact.

Fox || Monk
Keon || Huerter
DDR || ??
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || Len

Feel pretty good this is our top 9 heading into the year. And then that 10th spot is a battle between Jmac, Colby, Jalen McDaniels, depending if we go small with Jmac and move Huerter to the 3, or try and strike gold with Colby or McDaniels at the wing. If/when Carter comes back, he fills that slot.

Last edited:
Doing a little research I found an article where apparently he also injured a shoulder his senior year in high school and had to wait which might explain his late start as a college player. Could have been a botched surgery the first time, reinjury, etc. Shoulders are things some players do play through a lot of the time.

https://www.sourcehoops.com/doral-academy-star-devin-carter-to-undergo-labrum-surgery/
Yikes. How does this keep getting worse with each revelation.

Initially it sounded like he tore his labrum during a pre draft workout.

But Carter says he played with his shoulder like this during the season.

And now there’s an article from HS revealing that he had prior surgery on his labrum?

I’m hoping this isn’t Markelle Fultz 2.0

And now there’s an article from HS revealing that he had prior surgery on his labrum?

Fultz changed his shooting mechanics and couldnt hit crap.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We won't know until he takes the court I really think they are being conservative with his timeframe unless something was discovered during the surgery. I also don't see any sense rushing him out there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if the estimated time table for a potential return is slated in the 6-8 month period, that may very well come close to the play-in/post season period and at that time, he won't be acclimated with any of his teammates and the system, only observing from the bench with minimal participation. With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to sitting him for the entire season unless progress in recovery goes faster than expected.

Eh, the word on Fultz, or his excuse lets say, was nerve damage IIRC. Again, I'd go back to D Wade and look at him. History of shoulder issues and I remember reading years ago his shoulder was always a dislocation waiting to happen basically. He also had an issue with nerve damage when he had a really bad dislocation reaching for a ball. He went onto play another 10 years after? Nah, if you have injuries in basketball, usually non dominant hand shoulders are the way to go.

It sounded like the Jazz were looking at wanting like Bridges levels of picks more than anything. I don't think the Kings can even do that, especially now with the DDR trade involving another up in the air pick swap which could lower the value of that pick in a re-trade. This Lauri stuff has all the makings of having no actual realistic intentions of letting a player go.
They may be wanting Bridges level of picks, but that’s not realistic given that Lauri is an expiring contract. Why would any franchise give up that many picks for a player they could possibly sign outright next offseason?

Further, if Ainge holds on to Lauri up until the trade deadline or worse yet through the remainder of the season — it almost certainly lessens the chances for the #1 pick. If tanking is part of the goal, then trading Markkanen needs to happen sooner than later. If holding on and re-signing Lauri is the goal then I understand not trading him for a lesser value. But, again, that likely takes a bottom 3 finish out of the equation with other orgs actively tanking.

So the question is — what are Utah’s true intentions? If it’s the former and not the latter, then Ainge is going to need to move Lauri for less than what Bridges netted in return (who has 2-seasons left on his contract, not 1). How much less, who knows?!

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this all but guarantees Huerter is on the team this year... which is fine by me. Only good things I think getting him in a bench role and a bigger offensive USG. And then next season, on an expiring, hopefully rebuilds some of his value and we can flip him.

Carter basically becomes a "deadline acquisition" sort of impact.

Fox || Monk
Keon || Huerter
DDR || ??
Keegan || Lyles
Domas || Len

Feel pretty good this is our top 9 heading into the year. And then that 10th spot is a battle between Jmac, Colby, Jalen McDaniels, depending if we go small with Jmac and move Huerter to the 3, or try and strike gold with Colby or McDaniels at the wing. If/when Carter comes back, he fills that slot.
I think we'll essentially see a three guard rotation of Fox, Ellis, and Monk with Huerter getting the backup three minutes behind DDR and only sliding back to SG when more size is needed.

I think we'll essentially see a three guard rotation of Fox, Ellis, and Monk with Huerter getting the backup three minutes behind DDR and only sliding back to SG when more size is needed.
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense too. And it still keeps Huerter at like a 18-22ish MPG player if he fully takes that back-up 2-3 role.

Fox 34 || Monk 14
Keon 28 || Monk 16 || Huerter 4
DDR 34 || Huerter 14
Keegan 34 || Lyles 14
Domas 36 || Len 12

Obviously won't end up this clean and perfect, but something along these lines where we have 8 guys playing huge minutes, Len at back-up C and then maybe a depth piece works its way in. I am curious though because Brown does like to go a full 10 man rotation during the regular season, but we don't really have a 10th right now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, that makes a ton of sense too. And it still keeps Huerter at like a 18-22ish MPG player if he fully takes that back-up 2-3 role.

Fox 34 || Monk 14
DDR 34 || Huerter 14
Keegan 34 || Lyles 14
Domas 36 || Len 12

Obviously won't end up this clean and perfect, but something along these lines where we have 8 guys playing huge minutes, Len at back-up C and then maybe a depth piece works its way in. I am curious though because Brown does like to go a full 10 man rotation during the regular season, but we don't really have a 10th right now.
Yeah, at least to start the season I see a nine man rotation of the starters (I have the same starting five as you) plus Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Len.

We are definitely short one big wing/forward that can eat up minutes at either the 3/4 or 4/5. Because of that I don't think the Kings are in a position to play any small ball at the moment. More than that, this team needs depth just to survive injuries in the regular season.

If Keegan goes down you have to start Lyles and then there's essentially nobody behind him. Likewise with Sabonis & Len.

Last edited:

Fox 34 || Monk 14
DDR 34 || Huerter 14
Keegan 34 || Lyles 14
Domas 36 || Len 12

I still think a Huerter trade is possible in August/September. It is clear that the trade market is stagnating because of Lauri and BI. Everyone is waiting for those shoes to drop. Once there is resolution there (likely Lauri not being traded and something happening with BI), the smaller misfit pieces will be traded off of badly imbalanced rosters, or teams trying to unload vets to tank. I still think there is a market for some guys like Cam Johnson, DFS, Jerami Grant, Thuybulle, Grant Williams, Isiah Stewart, and Kyle Kuzma to be traded. But I think it will be later summer once the bigger player situations are resolved. It would be really nice to add a bigger forward to the bench, or perhaps give 8-10 minutes a night as a 10th rotation player to McDaniels or one of the summer league rookies.

But if we have our core rotation locked up, I mostly agree with the above rotation, except I think Lyles will have to play substantially more than 14 minutes per game as literally the only other forward with size behind DDR and Keegan. I also think the 10th rotation spot (8-10 minutes) each night might rotate between McLaughlin, McDaniels, or perhaps someone like Isaac Jones or Crawford, depending on matchups and whether we want to try to add more size for that game.

I could see the following- smaller lineup on most nights, McLaughlin getting 10th spot:

Fox (32) / McLaughlin (8) / Monk (8)
Keon (28)/ Monk (20)
DDR (32)/Huerter (16)
Keegan (32)/ Lyles (16)
Domas (32)/Len (10)/ Lyles (6)

Or if McDaniels/Jones/Crawford get the 10th spot over McLaughlin, something like this with more size:

Fox (32)/ Monk (16)
Keon (28)/Monk (12)/ Huerter (8)
DDR (32)/Huerter (8)/Keegan (8)
Keegan (24)/Lyles (16)/ 10th spot (8- McDaniels, Crawford, or Jones)
Domas (32)/Len (10)/Lyles (6)

Yeah, at least to start the season I see a nine man rotation of the starters (I have the same starting five as you) plus Monk, Huerter, Lyles and Len.

We are definitely short one big wing/forward that can eat up minutes at either the 3/4 or 4/5. Because of that I don't think the Kings are in a position to play any small ball at the moment. More than that, this team needs depth just to survive injuries in the regular season.

If Keegan goes down you have to start Lyles and then there's essentially nobody behind him. Likewise with Sabonis & Len.
Technically, the 2 way guys are behind Lyles.

I still think a Huerter trade is possible in August/September. It is clear that the trade market is stagnating because of Lauri and BI. Everyone is waiting for those shoes to drop. Once there is resolution there (likely Lauri not being traded and something happening with BI), the smaller misfit pieces will be traded off of badly imbalanced rosters, or teams trying to unload vets to tank. I still think there is a market for some guys like Cam Johnson, DFS, Jerami Grant, Thuybulle, Grant Williams, Isiah Stewart, and Kyle Kuzma to be traded. But I think it will be later summer once the bigger player situations are resolved. It would be really nice to add a bigger forward to the bench, or perhaps give 8-10 minutes a night as a 10th rotation player to McDaniels or one of the summer league rookies.

But if we have our core rotation locked up, I mostly agree with the above rotation, except I think Lyles will have to play substantially more than 14 minutes per game as literally the only other forward with size behind DDR and Keegan. I also think the 10th rotation spot (8-10 minutes) each night might rotate between McLaughlin, McDaniels, or perhaps someone like Isaac Jones or Crawford, depending on matchups and whether we want to try to add more size for that game.

I could see the following- smaller lineup on most nights, McLaughlin getting 10th spot:

Fox (32) / McLaughlin (8) / Monk (8)
Keon (28)/ Monk (20)
DDR (32)/Huerter (16)
Keegan (32)/ Lyles (16)
Domas (32)/Len (10)/ Lyles (6)

Or if McDaniels/Jones/Crawford get the 10th spot over McLaughlin, something like this with more size:

Fox (32)/ Monk (16)
Keon (28)/Monk (12)/ Huerter (8)
DDR (32)/Huerter (8)/Keegan (8)
Keegan (24)/Lyles (16)/ 10th spot (8- McDaniels, Crawford, or Jones)
Domas (32)/Len (10)/Lyles (6)
I don't think Huerter would be traded till the deadline, teams would want to make sure he's health and playing.

Slater said the kings have tossed around the idea of going with a big lineup. Maybe not all the time but matchup based. He said Lyles is going to play more than Kings fans might think

Fox McLaughlin
DDR Monk
Keegan KVon
Lyles Mcdaniels
Domas Len

Slater said the kings have tossed around the idea of going with a big lineup. Maybe not all the time but matchup based. He said Lyles is going to play more than Kings fans might think

Fox McLaughlin
DDR Monk
Keegan KVon
Lyles Mcdaniels
Domas Len
Interesting. I think it could work, because Keegan is flexible to defend 1-4. But it just doesn't seem necessary when we have a guard like Keon, ready to breakout and has shown signs of being an elite elite defender.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think a bunch of you who are posting possible lineup combinations or minute breakdowns are missing on DDR playing PF. In the Bulls 2 most used lineups on 82 games, DDR is at PF. Now 82 games isn’t the final say on things as it’s not totally accurate but DDR is more of a 3/4 than 2/3 at this stage and I believe we see him at the 4 often, pending matchups and it’s how we get our Guards into the lineup for big minutes.
Monk swings between 1 and 2
Ellis between 2 and 3
DDR between 3 and 4
Huerter between 2 and 3

Fox McLaughlin
DDR Monk
Keegan KVon
Lyles Mcdaniels
Domas Len
I definitely think Lyles is playing around 24 minutes per night, but I cannot imagine it is at the expense of knocking Keon totally out of the rotation. I also cannot imagine a scenario where Keon goes from critical starter down the stretch to behind McLaughlin and McDaniels in the rotation.

If you start Lyles you absolutely have to bring in another large quality wing. It doesn't need to be a starter quality guy, but you need to have at least one other playable body who is 6'8 or bigger to come off the bench. And the only way you get a playable 4/3 or 4/5 is to trade Huerter or use the MLE and go over the tax. If you start Lyles and don't trade Huerter or use the MLE you are looking at a top-12 rotation that features Huerter and McDaniels as the only forwards off the bench (and Huerter isn't even a forward).

I definitely think Lyles is playing around 24 minutes per night, but I cannot imagine it is at the expense of knocking Keon totally out of the rotation. I also cannot imagine a scenario where Keon goes from critical starter down the stretch to behind McLaughlin and McDaniels in the rotation.

If you start Lyles you absolutely have to bring in another large quality wing. It doesn't need to be a starter quality guy, but you need to have at least one other playable body who is 6'8 or bigger to come off the bench. And the only way you get a playable 4/3 or 4/5 is to trade Huerter or use the MLE and go over the tax. If you start Lyles and don't trade Huerter or use the MLE you are looking at a top-12 rotation that features Huerter and McDaniels as the only forwards off the bench (and Huerter isn't even a forward).

I’m not even sure if he meant starting Lyles regularly. Maybe against certain teams like Minnesota or Denver.

I really have no idea who will end up in the rotation other than ddr, Murray, Fox and Sabonis.
I think camp will tell us where Huerter is on his recovery and if he resembles the player we had when he came onboard that could become a very deadly Offensive rotation and if Kevin and Murray are drilling 3’s I can imagine the opportunity’s that opens up for Fox and DDR.
The thing that makes me wonder is the old saying there is only one basketball to go around So I can see Ellis starting and having Huerter coming in for DDR off the bench to even it out.

bottom line for me is I can’t wait to see our team in action!

The only one of them that could fill in at PF is Isaac Jones, and while he's looked promising as a developmental project, if he plays any meaningful minutes this season the Kings are in trouble IMO.
Monte struck gold with Keon and that covers for plenty of misses but if Jones is 2 years away from being 2 years away you have to wonder if that’s the best use of a two way. 4th or 5th year college players entering their mid twenties probably shouldn’t be projects. Having said that if a foundation is there you might be able to refine skills like with Mason Jones.

Fox McLaughlin
DDR Monk
Keegan KVon
Lyles Mcdaniels
Domas Len
At this point Lyles will have to. I think that's part of the reason you're not seeing this rush to get another PF type. Again, look at Sasha last year, either they split time or just give one guy all the minutes so it only looks good on paper. At this point, just go with the one guy. If an injury happens call up one of the young guys or sign someone. The Kings as is already have about a 9-10 man rotation locked up without Carter even factored in.