Devin Carter to undergo shoulder surgery

Monte struck gold with Keon and that covers for plenty of misses but if Jones is 2 years away from being 2 years away you have to wonder if that’s the best use of a two way. 4th or 5th year college players entering their mid twenties probably shouldn’t be projects. Having said that if a foundation is there you might be able to refine skills like with Mason Jones.
Jones looks to have skills though. He's already picking up the offense too which I figured they would mostly just use him in pick and roll.

At this point Lyles will have to. I think that's part of the reason you're not seeing this rush to get another PF type. Again, look at Sasha last year, either they split time or just give one guy all the minutes so it only looks good on paper. At this point, just go with the one guy. If an injury happens call up one of the young guys or sign someone. The Kings as is already have about a 9-10 man rotation locked up without Carter even factored in.
I agree the 9-10 man rotation is pretty much locked in. The question for me is whether the 15-20 minutes people are slotting for Huerter are best spent on Huerter. For me, I would rather have a slightly bigger, more defensive-minded player getting those minutes. But I agree that we don't need anymore paper depth. The idea of getting "name guys" to be the 11th and 12th man is silly, and there is really even limited utility of that beyond 9th man. But Huerter is definitely in our 9-10 man rotation, so I would love to upgrade his 15-20 minutes to something with more size.

I agree the 9-10 man rotation is pretty much locked in. The question for me is whether the 15-20 minutes people are slotting for Huerter are best spent on Huerter. For me, I would rather have a slightly bigger, more defensive-minded player getting those minutes. But I agree that we don't need anymore paper depth. The idea of getting "name guys" to be the 11th and 12th man is silly, and there is really even limited utility of that beyond 9th man. But Huerter is definitely in our 9-10 man rotation, so I would love to upgrade his 15-20 minutes to something with more size.
This could indeed go a bunch of ways. If Brown goes back to playing more offensive based players and the defense crumbles it's only a matter of time before someone gets pushed. The issue is then yes, pushed how and for whom? I figured it would possibly be Carter doing the pushing at some point but that sounds like it might not even be a factor until January.

This could indeed go a bunch of ways. If Brown goes back to playing more offensive based players and the defense crumbles it's only a matter of time before someone gets pushed. The issue is then yes, pushed how and for whom? I figured it would possibly be Carter doing the pushing at some point but that sounds like it might not even be a factor until January.
I don't see any way he pushes into meaningful playing time in Jan/Feb. He's a lot more likely to be playing in Stockton

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense too. And it still keeps Huerter at like a 18-22ish MPG player if he fully takes that back-up 2-3 role.

Fox 34 || Monk 14
Keon 28 || Monk 16 || Huerter 4
DDR 34 || Huerter 14
Keegan 34 || Lyles 14
Domas 36 || Len 12

Obviously won't end up this clean and perfect, but something along these lines where we have 8 guys playing huge minutes, Len at back-up C and then maybe a depth piece works its way in. I am curious though because Brown does like to go a full 10 man rotation during the regular season, but we don't really have a 10th right now.
I envision a 9-man rotation as well (same 9 that you are using) out of the gate but I’d probably change up the minute distribution and spread it out a bit more to help save/rest our main horses a bit more. Something like…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Ellis (26) / Monk (14) / Huerter (8)
SF - DeRozan (30) / Huerter (18)
PF - Murray (32) / DeRozan (4) / Lyles (12)
C - Sabonis (34) / Len (10) / Lyles (4)

Fox = 34 min
DeRozan = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 26 min
Huerter = 26 min
Lyles = 16 min
Len = 10 min

The only real difference is that I’m reducing a couple minutes for guys like Sabonis, Murray, Monk, Ellis, etc. and I’m bumping up Huerter’s minutes quite a bit. This does 2 things…
  1. Reduces the wear & tear a bit more on our main core to help save them come playoff time
  2. Showcases Huerter in a larger role in an effort to raise his value back up to flip him at the deadline or the following offseason.

By the time we flip Huerter, Carter should be back healthy and acclimated with the team allowing us to maintain our good guard depth while hopefully strengthening our forward rotation via a Huerter trade.

This could very well be Monte’s plan if he’s finding that other teams aren’t valuing Huerter in trade talks this offseason.

I envision a 9-man rotation as well (same 9 that you are using) out of the gate but I’d probably change up the minute distribution and spread it out a bit more to help save/rest our main horses a bit more. Something like…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Ellis (26) / Monk (14) / Huerter (8)
SF - DeRozan (30) / Huerter (18)
PF - Murray (32) / DeRozan (4) / Lyles (12)
C - Sabonis (34) / Len (10) / Lyles (4)

Fox = 34 min
DeRozan = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
Monk = 28 min
Ellis = 26 min
Huerter = 26 min
Lyles = 16 min
Len = 10 min

The only real difference is that I’m reducing a couple minutes for guys like Sabonis, Murray, Monk, Ellis, etc. and I’m bumping up Huerter’s minutes quite a bit. This does 2 things…
  1. Reduces the wear & tear a bit more on our main core to help save them come playoff time
  2. Showcases Huerter in a larger role in an effort to raise his value back up to flip him at the deadline or the following offseason.

By the time we flip Huerter, Carter should be back healthy and acclimated with the team allowing us to maintain our good guard depth while hopefully strengthening our forward rotation via a Huerter trade.

This could very well be Monte’s plan if he’s finding that other teams aren’t valuing Huerter in trade talks this offseason.
Yeah, one thing I'm really hopeful on is by acquiring DDR, we can keep the Fox and Domas workload to reasonable levels. Especially Domas, who I think might have the most minutes played in the NBA over the past 2 years.

Feels like it would be such an advantage if we could knock 300-400 minutes off their season totals and get them to the Playoffs healthier and fresh

Yeah, one thing I'm really hopeful on is by acquiring DDR, we can keep the Fox and Domas workload to reasonable levels. Especially Domas, who I think might have the most minutes played in the NBA over the past 2 years.

Feels like it would be such an advantage if we could knock 300-400 minutes off their season totals and get them to the Playoffs healthier and fresh
I am interested in how a Domas/DDR pick and roll works. It’s one reason I wonder if DDR might impact Monks production the most. A lot of Malik’s value was in running a pick and roll with Domas and some of those possessions will be DDR running the pick and roll.

if you are Mike do you rather

Malik run the PnR with DDR 34.2% C&S 3’s
Or
DDR run the PnR with Malik 36.9% C&S 3’s.

A DDR/Domas PnR with Fox 39.1, Keegan 37.5 and Ellis 42.4will be effective. Huerter and Lyles will also fit well in spreading the floor.

I am interested in how a Domas/DDR pick and roll works. It’s one reason I wonder if DDR might impact Monks production the most. A lot of Malik’s value was in running a pick and roll with Domas and some of those possessions will be DDR running the pick and roll.

if you are Mike do you rather

Malik run the PnR with DDR 34.2% C&S 3’s
Or
DDR run the PnR with Malik 36.9% C&S 3’s.

A DDR/Domas PnR with Fox 39.1, Keegan 37.5 and Ellis 42.4will be effective. Huerter and Lyles will also fit well in spreading the floor.
Monk might be taking a back seat in pick and roll but as a bench guy maybe not. I think it depends on who he plays with. Earlier on a lot of his pnr was with a player like McGee. Last year DDR was in the 92nd percentile as a ball handler in pick and roll. Holy cow! Fox would be 2nd on the team at 77th percentile. Monk is around the 62nd. All of them show any pick and roll out of any of them and you're alright. Expecting more spot shooting out of the SG spot overall next season is probably in line.

Also getting back on topic for a minute here, Matt George mentioned on Locked on Kings that Carter wanted to play. Sounds like he was trying to convince the Kings to just let him play through it this season, but the Kings made the decision to just get it over with now and have surgery.
I mean dude put up a monster season with it, so I get it.

But better for his longterm to get it fixed now. Pretty exciting to see what he could be with a healthy shoulder

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Also getting back on topic for a minute here, Matt George mentioned on Locked on Kings that Carter wanted to play. Sounds like he was trying to convince the Kings to just let him play through it this season, but the Kings made the decision to just get it over with now and have surgery.
So, Devin Carter is going to show up to the team kind of like a deadline trade deal, but we don’t have to give anything up.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So I am pretty much a full time bike commuter though I only have to go to the office a few times a week these days. Ever since my shoulder injury that I didn't get surgically repaired I feel it most when signaling a right turn with my left hand on my bike. There's a few other things like when I eat high carb/sugary diet I'll get pain/restricted movement because whatever inflammation that brings really triggers it.

I get why he didn't want the surgery because it is a massive inconvenience, time off his rookie year, and it bothers him but it doesn't "really" bother him. Kings are doing right by him.

I wouldn't bet on him playing meaningful minutes this next season. So a different situation than a player who comes in after trade, who has been playing with NBA experience
Unless someone has really secured the 4th guard spot (Colby, M Jones, or McL), I wouldn’t bet against Carter just showing so much defensive tenancity in practice that he doesn’t earn some minutes in Brown’s rotation.

If he comes back at the 6 month (mid January) mark, the Kings would be right about the half way point (40 games or so) of the season. I don’t think it’s too far fetched that Brown sees his defensive prowess and finds some minutes (5-10 min/game) for him going into the stretch run.

Unless someone has really secured the 4th guard spot (Colby, M Jones, or McL), I wouldn’t bet against Carter just showing so much defensive tenancity in practice that he doesn’t earn some minutes in Brown’s rotation.

If he comes back at the 6 month (mid January) mark, the Kings would be right about the half way point (40 games or so) of the season. I don’t think it’s too far fetched that Brown sees his defensive prowess and finds some minutes (5-10 min/game) for him going into the stretch run.
The problem is at that time of the season, they have very few practices. It's a really awkward time for a rookie to get his first NBA minutes, if the team is fighting for playoff position

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The good thing is that his game is mostly hustle. That will translate quickly
Plus if he's able to start rehabbing 3-4 months in, he can do a lot of the lighter stuff and have 2-3 months of practice before playing. No it's not ideal. And I won't be sad if he redshirts the year, but I think the 6 month timetable for an update really is about the twin management of a certain impatient segment of the fanbase as well as Carter's "dawg" instinct that is going to have him trying to practice on Monday.