Defenders Still Available as Free Agents

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We have NO roster slots available.
N'Diaye's contract isn't guaranteed, so he could be waived. Actually, they could waive him anyway and just eat the contract if it was guaranteed. Clever move by the Spurs the other day. They signed a player and then twelve hours later cut him. And why you ask did they do that? Because the last three players on your preseason roster can be designated to your D-League team and you have control over them. Of course the player has to agree to play in the D-League. If not designated in such a way, then they go into the D-League draft pool, and could end up on any team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Royce White was also waived by the 76ers....like his talent a lot but apparently the personal issues may never let him succeed.
Ummm yeah, he won't get on an airplane. Wants to take either a train or bus to all the games. Just won't work in the NBA. Too bad, he has a lot of talent.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have Fab Melo than Ndiaye. Melo is incredibly immature, like Javale McGee was in a lot of ways. I still like his size and ability to block shots. He wouldn't be a rotation player this year, but I'd like to see what Malone could do with him for a year. If he never pans out, no big deal.

I also think Jermaine Taylor is pretty freaking underrated. Same with Ike Diogu.
You and I will never agree on Melo. I didn't like him at Syracuse, and he's done nothing since he was drafted. He's a Thabeet repeat. he has zero BBIQ, and that's the problem. Jemery Tyler on the other hand I think has potential. I liked what I saw of him in summer league. He's added a nice mid range jumpshot to his game. He's a very good athlete with an NBA body. He's injured right now, and I think they intend to put him on their D-League team. So we would have to add him to the roster in order to keep him, other wise he's probably already designated.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, the Wizards actually did release Shannon Brown. We may not have room, but that's interesting. Somebody is going to pick up a legit player for free.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Read that Houston waived Camby today. Wonder how much gas he has left in the tank. Might be good for one year if healthy.
Houston wants to move Asik: they don't want to pay him that much money to come off the bench. There's no way that they would waive Camby if he could still play.

Looking ahead free agency if we can clear thornton a contract (Memphis trade for trade exption and two 1st) and amnasty chuck Hayes while resigning Vasquez to a reasonable 6-7mill we would still have 7-10mill available. I think a great target would be Emeka Okafor who is only gonna play 20 or so games which would bring down his value to 6-10 mill per year and has played with Malone before. He would be perfect next to Cousins with his defense and blocking ability and he also has a respectable shot to 15ft

Looking ahead free agency if we can clear thornton a contract (Memphis trade for trade exption and two 1st) and amnasty chuck Hayes while resigning Vasquez to a reasonable 6-7mill we would still have 7-10mill available. I think a great target would be Emeka Okafor who is only gonna play 20 or so games which would bring down his value to 6-10 mill per year and has played with Malone before. He would be perfect next to Cousins with his defense and blocking ability and he also has a respectable shot to 15ft
Okafor's defense is good but he's often injured.

Houston wants to move Asik: they don't want to pay him that much money to come off the bench. There's no way that they would waive Camby if he could still play.
I know Asik is primarily a center, but I'd be very tempted to pair him with Cuz and have our own twin towers. Depends what we'd have to give up, though. Asik is a great rebounder and a very good defender.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I know Asik is primarily a center, but I'd be very tempted to pair him with Cuz and have our own twin towers. Depends what we'd have to give up, though. Asik is a great rebounder and a very good defender.
Yeah, but Houston is undefeated and having fun right now reminding the smallballers of just what a bunch of limpdicks they are. Houston is 2nd in the league in rebounding margin right now, 3rd in FG% defense, 6th in scoring defense. Should be an amusing conversation calling them up and trying to convince them to let us do the Twin Towers while they give it up.

According to NBA.com/stats, Jason Thompson is allowing only 27% shooting at the rim. Mr. PPat is allowing 71%. It's time to bench PPat and let JT start at center. We all know Cousins can't win a jump ball anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, but Houston is undefeated and having fun right now reminding the smallballers of just what a bunch of limpdicks they are. Houston is 2nd in the league in rebounding margin right now, 3rd in FG% defense, 6th in scoring defense. Should be an amusing conversation calling them up and trying to convince them to let us do the Twin Towers while they give it up.

I'm pretty sure Asik never played for the Warriors anyway, which probably rules us out.

Asik is averaging almost 12 boards in 23 minutes a game so far. Small sample size, but that has to be historic type numbers (18 boards per 36). He's also shooting terribly from the field so presumably that rebounding rate will come down a bit once he stops rebounding his own misses.

I'm liking Omer Asik as well. He has great numbers, is unhappy losing minutes to Dwight, and could be a major upgrade to the "big guy backup" position. Maybe they'd take Chuck, Patterson and Jimmer in trade! :p

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm liking Omer Asik as well. He has great numbers, is unhappy losing minutes to Dwight, and could be a major upgrade to the "big guy backup" position. Maybe they'd take Chuck, Patterson and Jimmer in trade! :p
I'd do the trade but I thought the Howard/Asik combo was working well.

Thompson and PP work they dont need IT
But it won't matter if PP keeps scrubbing like he is

I'd do the trade but I thought the Howard/Asik combo was working well.
I've heard that too, but am also hearing that Asik wasn't crazy about ceding major minutes after he'd finally earned a place as a starter last season. Of course, what we have in mind with Cousins probably wouldn't be a major upgrade to the situation he has with Dwight right now...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Some rumor monger on Twitter asked: "What about Salmons for Korver straight up?" Hmmmm. Interesting idea and we get bunch of points in deal and average defense vs. few points and very good defender in Salmons. I'd do that.

Some rumor monger on Twitter asked: "What about Salmons for Korver straight up?" Hmmmm. Interesting idea and we get bunch of points in deal and average defense vs. few points and very good defender in Salmons. I'd do that.
it was a question that Greg Wissinger asked a Hawks blogger in the last Sactown Royalty podcast and it was laughed off by him, deservedly. Kyle Korver is a far, far superior player at this point. plus, he was just signed this offseason, meaning it is very unlikely that he'll be dealt this season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And why would they - or anyone else for that matter - take Salmons in exchange for any player with value?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And why would they - or anyone else for that matter - take Salmons in exchange for any player with value?
That's the problem with many people some want to unload like Jimmer, Outlaw, and Hayes. These ideas represent dissatisfaction but in the real world, if any of these guys was tradeable, we might not want to trade them.