Cousins to Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I've been a Boston sports fan since my tweens (mid 40s today, god it kills me saying that); we're really not the Yankees in different clothes. But they are our main rival, so yes we have to spend zillions to even remotely compete. It sucks. But for years they were cheap and always finished second or worst. And even mid 40s, half of my life has been spent watching Boston sports teams lose/choke in the most epic of ways.

I will not defend millenial and later generations of Boston sports fans who have no friggin clue what it was like to be a Boston fan in the 70s 80s and 90s. Many of them are obnoxious a-holes with no connection to the region and as far as I'm concerned can all go get bent. But there really is something special about connecting with other people from the region through the teams. Same as with Kingsfans. Except there are more of them (and you can always sniff out the BSers).
Nobody tops Yankees fans for entitlement, but the Red Sox have been right near the top in payroll for pretty much this entire millennium and all of the national MLB coverage continues to act like the other 28 teams don't matter. I'm sick of hearing about a rivalry that only matters to people 3000 miles away. Yankees fans know their team is a bunch of mercenaries and fully expect their front office to spend twice as much money as everyone else. A lot of the Boston fans somehow are in denial about their own team's spending habits. I will grant you that there used to be a difference... up until the late 90s or so the Red Sox were a snakebiten franchise forever in the Yankees shadow but we're talking 20 years now of Boston and New York outspending everyone except LA. It really is time to let the underdog thing go.

But I digress.... :)

Yankees fans are easily the worst. Red Sox fans are almost as bad because they think they're some kind of feel-good underdogs even though they're really just the Yankees in different clothes. As for the Dodgers... have you ever visited Dodger Stadium in anything other than a Dodgers hat?
Only been to Dodger Stadium once, but obviously not as an opposing fan. But I have been to Candlestick Park and AT&T many times. Let’s just say that I learned as a youngster not wear my Dodgers gear.

While it obviously goes overboard at times, I think that’s just part of the rivalry deal.

Nobody tops Yankees fans for entitlement, but the Red Sox have been right near the top in payroll for pretty much this entire millennium and all of the national MLB coverage continues to act like the other 28 teams don't matter. I'm sick of hearing about a rivalry that only matters to people 3000 miles away. Yankees fans know their team is a bunch of mercenaries and fully expect their front office to spend twice as much money as everyone else. A lot of the Boston fans somehow are in denial about their own team's spending habits. I will grant you that there used to be a difference... up until the late 90s or so the Red Sox were a snakebiten franchise forever in the Yankees shadow but we're talking 20 years now of Boston and New York outspending everyone except LA. It really is time to let the underdog thing go.

I wasn't denying the spending, I was merely pointing out they don't have a choice because their division rival is the most ridiculous spender of all.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Between the Sawks, Pats, and Celts, Boston has had a great start to the sports century and their obnoxious, occasionally racist fans have been sure to let the rest of the world know.

Have you guys seen what Boogie looks like now? He looks really skinny. Saw him in his first interview as a Laker on twitter. Looks like he dropped 20-25 pounds.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Have you guys seen what Boogie looks like now? He looks really skinny. Saw him in his first interview as a Laker on twitter. Looks like he dropped 20-25 pounds.
A; That’ll maybe save his legs

B; But will he be able to effectively bully-ball without the mass?

I mean, he’s skilled enough that he doesn’t necessarily NEED to bully ball, but it certainly was a big part of his game. Hell maybe he’ll even gain a half a step without the weight and better fit in the faster NBA. DMC is stubborn enough to will himself into fitting in somewhere.

Cousins was hard for me to root for when he was with the Kings.
His lack of verticality was exposed against Toronto. Injuries have him playing even closer to the ground now. He still has the lateral movement, but he can barely get off the floor.
I wish him nothing but success.

Cousins was hard for me to root for when he was with the Kings.
His lack of verticality was exposed against Toronto. Injuries have him playing even closer to the ground now. He still has the lateral movement, but he can barely get off the floor.
I wish him nothing but success.
I think he can still be an effective player in the right system/role; however, unfortunately I think he probably peaked as a player his last year in New Orleans (before getting injured). I can't root for him as a Laker, but will root that he gets his career back on track and he's able to see at least one final big contract (somewhere other than LA) in his career.

I think he can still be an effective player in the right system/role; however, unfortunately I think he probably peaked as a player his last year in New Orleans (before getting injured). I can't root for him as a Laker, but will root that he gets his career back on track and he's able to see at least one final big contract (somewhere other than LA) in his career.
I hope that he somehow manages to get his in a manner that is completely detrimental to the Lakers enjoying any success.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
Lakers center DeMarcus Cousins has suffered a possible knee injury and will undergo further testing today in Los Angeles, league sources tell ESPN. Cousins was working out in Las Vegas on Monday when he had to leave the court, sources said. He signed a one-year deal in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.