Cousins to Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were going to remove any comments, I would have already done so.

So the mother bears no responsibility for goading DMC into saying something incredibly stupid that could cost him the rest of his career? It's offensive to call her out on it? Sorry, but as a female, I find it offensive that another female would use that tactic. Is DMC blameless? Oh hell no, but to act as though his baby momma is the innocent victim is IMHO just as offensive.

But hey, I knew this was going to happen. It always does. What Boogie did was unconscionable but he is not the only one who acted badly.

Bad acts are bad acts, regardless of who did them. This is beyond disgusting to me all the way around. No one is perfect and we all have said things that would not look good if taken out of context and leaked to the media for possibly nefarious reasons. I'm very grateful my ex-spouse never recorded some of our conversations. We live in a different time. Anything anyone says can be recorded and used for any variety of reasons. IMHO to make a judgment about this isn't fair to anyone involved. The real victim in all this is the little boy. But hey, no problem. Daddy's child support will solve everything, right?

I've broken a lot of my own rules here so I'll stop. I'm getting old, I guess. I truly long for the times when we didn't know every single thing about every athlete, every actor, every politician, etc. They're all human with fallacies but that seems too often to get lost in the shuffle.
Oh I'm not saying she is not at fault here. There are bad things being done by both parties.

All I'm saying, is as a professional athlete with too much to lose, DeMarcus should have been smarter. I defended him while he was a King. I figured he was young and immature and would grow out of it. I loved what he did on the court and off it. I used that as my Rose glasses to overlook the warning signs.

Both women and men get away with things in our society. But it was overlooked in the past and as of today, right now, you cant do what he did. Everybody has a cell phone waiting to record a video or a conversation. He was just. Not. Smart.

That's what annoys me most about this whole thing. I listen to sports 1140 and there are ads all the time telling fathers to just shut up, stay off social media, contact a lawyer. I'm not rich and yet I would heed that advice. Dude has loot. If he had half a freaking brain he would have sprung this on her with his lawyer on the line. The wedding had been planned for WEEKS. Cuz should have had the seed of his son joining him for the day already planted (I hope of course, but considering the source...). If the mom was giving him pushback all he had to do was contact his very high paid legal team and do it the only way it should have been done.

Look, we arent talking about 2 regular Dick and Mary's. HE IS A HIGH PROFILE ATHLETE!!! He should expect this and act accordingly.

Whatever you said to your husband during problematic times would only have been uses against you in a custody battle. He had too much at stake.

I wonder about his mindset after suffering this 3rd major injury to his career in a short span. If there were any nails ready to be punched in his coffin it wouldnt even take a squint to see one driven in it this week.

And I LOVED Big Cuz. He was supposed to lead us to the promised land. Bricklayer promised that. I'm just so hurt he didnt learn squat since leaving Sac...

I only have one final thought and I mentioned it above. The real victim here is the little boy. No child should be used as a pawn in their parent's relationship battles and it's pretty obvious that's happened.
You are correct. That old saying, two wrongs don't make a right sometimes goes deeper, there is no right just wrong.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Much like with Reuben Foster, you have to wait until the cards fall before spewing hot online takes. Its very easy to damn someone when you don’t know everything. Don’t care if he’s a Laker, I’m all-in at pulling for him again. (That’s if he ever even steps on the court for them)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Much like with Reuben Foster, you have to wait until the cards fall before spewing hot online takes. Its very easy to damn someone when you don’t know everything. Don’t care if he’s a Laker, I’m all-in at pulling for him again. (That’s if he ever even steps on the court for them)
Well, Foster is a different situation. In Foster's case, the woman who brought the domestic violence charges later admitted to fabricating them. In Cousins' case, we have the audio recording of what he said, which was inexcusable at any rate. But the court apparently decided that what Cousins said didn't rise to the level of third-degree harassment. Most likely the court decided that he didn't literally mean it, and she wasn't in any danger, and she probably didn't even believe she was in any danger. But that doesn't change the fact that it's on DeMarcus. If he had said "I'm really angry that you won't let my son come to my wedding" instead of "I'm going to put a bullet through your ****ing head", none of this would have happened.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, Foster is a different situation. In Foster's case, the woman who brought the domestic violence charges later admitted to fabricating them. In Cousins' case, we have the audio recording of what he said, which was inexcusable at any rate. But the court apparently decided that what Cousins said didn't rise to the level of third-degree harassment. Most likely the court decided that he didn't literally mean it, and she wasn't in any danger, and she probably didn't even believe she was in any danger. But that doesn't change the fact that it's on DeMarcus. If he had said "I'm really angry that you won't let my son come to my wedding" instead of "I'm going to put a bullet through your ****ing head", none of this would have happened.
That's what matters. Yes, he said something in anger he shouldn't have said but this idea that every single utterance can be twisted and used against someone is just wrong. This conversation was apparently at the end of a long and ongoing argument about whether or not his son could come to his wedding. IMHO it takes a pretty spiteful person to not only disallow the request but to then turn around and attempt to get him arrested for an utterance said in the heat of the moment. I'm just glad the court (edit: or prosecutor) made the right decision.

Last edited:
Generally agreed, with one clarification: I haven’t read any of the court filings, just Woj’s latest, but my understanding is that the prosecutor dropped the charge so the judge dismissed the case. I didn’t see anything regarding the court deciding a disputed matter regarding Cousins’ intent. There could be a number of reasons why the prosecution dropped the charge. Again, I haven’t read the papers, but I don’t think we can say “the court decided” anything based on my reading of Woj’s report.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Generally agreed, with one clarification: I haven’t read any of the court filings, just Woj’s latest, but my understanding is that the prosecutor dropped the charge so the judge dismissed the case. I didn’t see anything regarding the court deciding a disputed matter regarding Cousins’ intent. There could be a number of reasons why the prosecution dropped the charge. Again, I haven’t read the papers, but I don’t think we can say “the court decided” anything based on my reading of Woj’s report.
Thanks. I didn't realize that the prosecutor had dropped the case, but there wasn't much to go on, so I assumed it was the court deciding.

I think that context makes a huge difference when judging what someone says. In this case, all we had was what he said with no real context.

Status
Not open for further replies.