Cavs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with the comment. When Evans can pass better and shoot better we definitely be better because he would be a superduperstar.

Lets make this game loud folks, show some love for the W against the bulls.
Oh, both games will be sold out for SURE now! And you can bet that THIS time will be ALOT different for both games...before we were just the Washington Generals, now we have a team, and I know the Cleveland Labron's won't be overlooking us...tomorrow will be fun...Saturday will be even more fun when LA Kobe's get here! There's hell to pay baby, get ready! Hey Arco Thunder...I think you'll get what you and every other Kings fan has been craving...Are you ready?!?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Oh, I see. I hope this Omri chemistry issue will get sorted out sooner or later. I hate to see friction between him and Reke just because he can't accept that Reke is the man in Sactown.
And I don't think there is an issue. Some folks choose to make problems where there are none. He didn't disrespect anyone. The team does have good chemistry. And Omri is a big part of that. He made a statement about a rookie learning to pass better with time. What is the big deal here????

I have no problem with the comment. When Evans can pass better and shoot better we definitely be better because he would be a superduperstar.
of course Omri was right, it is just the time and place of saying it was wrong.
Everything is so fresh and new in Sacramento, you get a stage from a leading sports magazine and you are criticizing your fellow rookie? that was uncalled for in my opinion.Omri should let his play do the talking. He is also writing a column for an Israeli site and he yaps too much over there. Talking about his playing time, hinted criticism on PW. He is just being open but this is the NBA and the Israeli sports mentality of talking too much in the papers has nothing to do with the way people conduct themselves in this league.

Michael Jordan wasn't built in a day, and neither was Tyreke Evans, have patience...this Is about to get REAL fun! Sit back and enjoy the ride...He's only 27 games old.

I agree that Omri shouldn't have said that, but he has a point, still shouldn't have said it.

As great as last night's comeback was in that last 2:13 I saw Tyreke go one on one a little more than I wanted him to. It turned out in his favor, but he needs to know to move the ball around as well.

P

PoundForPound

as a fanbase, we've really got to start making a bigger effort to get out and support this team live. our attendance has not been there, but that can change. even if its only for a game or two, if everyone makes the investment for some tickets, this team deserves it. ill be watching this game at ARCO, just got my tickets. i know some of you may not live in sacramento, but this is directed to those who can find a way to get to the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
As great as last night's comeback was in that last 2:13 I saw Tyreke go one on one a little more than I wanted him to. It turned out in his favor, but he needs to know to move the ball around as well.
Finally, having a true go-to player will take getting used to.

as a fanbase, we've really got to start making a bigger effort to get out and support this team live. our attendance has not been there, but that can change. even if its only for a game or two, if everyone makes the investment for some tickets, this team deserves it. ill be watching this game at ARCO, just got my tickets. i know some of you may not live in sacramento, but this is directed to those who can find a way to get to the games.
I'm doing my part and going to be at the Air Canada Centre February 7th. I hate my home team right now and stopped bothering even recording their games on the PVR. The Raptors give me ulcer. Underachieving-no-heart-token-defense-playing-fools. You do not want Chris Bosh on the Kings. He sucks too. He can't really bang with the big boys inside and tend to take baseline turn around fadeaways with the game on the line. Unless of course you are telling me Tyreke takes all the crunch time big shots.... Bosh mesh well with the overall softness of the Raptors.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Took a shot at Evans for not passing enough off his penetration.Not really a shot, more of "when he learns to make that pass we will be better". It pissed me off big time.

Obviously sometimes Tyreke is trying to finish at the rim when he needs to pass but that is just the rawness of his talent. He annoys me too with that, but he is a franchise player and at this very early stage of his career he is experimenting out there and got the coach's permission. Omri has a bit of an ego which is fine, and granted he is 21 yr old, but no need calling anyone out in sports illustrated.

If Omri is smart, and hey, I am 35 and following NBA basketball since I was 6-7 , so it is easier for me to make this judgment call than him , he got to accept the reality. Accept the fact this is Tyreke's team. Be a good teammate. You have to swallow your pride, accept that his potential and upside is greater. Single out teammates when you have something positive to say about their performance in interviews. It is not all about you. His pale smile yesterday told me something like "it is no good if the team scores the second greatest come from behind W in NBA history but I am not a part of it".
I do not like this attitude at all and he better change it fast.

There is a good chance before the season is over, if Omri has a few more big games, he will be interviewed on NBA TV or somewhere else with high exposure like that (Heard Rick Kamla mentioning that he is happy he got Casspi on his fantasy team behind Rudy Gay). He should go there, especially if the ROY race become too close to call down the line (you never know BJ can drop 40 on some quality team and it changes the momentum), and tell even if not asked "BTW Tyreke Evans - ROY". Nothing along the lines of "he should pass me more when i stand in the corner" or some backhanded compliments.

Love Omri and watching the Kings games here in Toronto has become an obsession.
I think you're reading WAY too much into this. Omri is a warrior and he wants to be out there for the battle. I have NO problem with that whatsoever. I'd rather have 5 Omri's with passion for the game than what we've seen the past couple of years.

casspion said:
If Omri is smart, and hey, I am 35 and following NBA basketball since I was 6-7 , so it is easier for me to make this judgment call than him , he got to accept the reality.
I've been following the NBA for more years than you've been alive so I think I can make the judgment call better than you.

;)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think we will see a spike in attendance over the next few weeks, not counting the cavs and lal games. The national attention this team is getting solidifies their status as an up and coming team, to the casual fan.

Most fans on this forum have been pretty excited about this team for a while now, and that also applies to the die-hard part of our fanbase. But the bandwagon fan(apparently needed for sellouts), and even the average fan needed more to go on before shelling out money for tickets. The ESPN coverage, and winning 3 of 4 heading into two pssible sellouts vs Cle and Lal, is an absolutely perfect string of events to get the fans back in arco and get the fan base behind the team again.

as a fanbase, we've really got to start making a bigger effort to get out and support this team live.

if only i were rich enough to fly out to arco for these games. :eek:

but i've already got tickets to support them when they visit the wizards. not quite the same, but still!

happy holidays y'all!

I just wanted to make one comment about Evans going one-on-one in critical moments. I say go for it. He needs the experience of taking those big shots at the end of games. He will learn in time when to pass the ball to open shooters. But until then I say fire away.

Kobe is a prime example. 9 times out of 10 he has open shooters at the end of game but you have to ask yourself (if your a Lakers fan...blah) do you want Kobe taking a tough shot or someone else taking a open shot. I'd go with Kobe. We need Evans to be Kobe and have that killer instinct. Personally I'd like to see him getting started now while were rebuilding rather than waiting till we start making the playoffs to start taking thebig shots.

As far as the Cavs game I think that the Kings are going to give it there all and I feel we have the player to match up. I'm not concerned to much with there bigs because they are old and slow. Verajao may be a pest but put the Brockman on him and let them battle it out. JT and hawes will have to hit there open shots to pull there bigs away from the basket. The Cavs are a good defensive team so if the bigs can do what I said before and open up the lanes we might have a chance.

Defensively we need to stop the 3 ball. The cavs are one the best 3pt shooting team in the league. That's it. Let Noc, Udoka, Green and Casspi pesture LBJ. Dont' leave Shaq in the paint by himself and help off the PF's. By all means don't leave the shooters open.

Go Kings!

I think you're reading WAY too much into this. Omri is a warrior and he wants to be out there for the battle. I have NO problem with that whatsoever. I'd rather have 5 Omri's with passion for the game than what we've seen the past couple of years.

I've been following the NBA for more years than you've been alive so I think I can make the judgment call better than you.

;)
Well, his dad did go to the media to complain about Omri's coach in Maccabi for not giving him enough PT. That is a fact. Many Israeli sports fans perceive Casspi as arrogant and somewhat of a prima dona. A part of it is what got him to the NBA but he should keep in mind he may face more tough nights when someone like Lamar Odom abuse him and he spend extended time on the bench. He should smile,be a good teammate and talk less. If your teammates don't like you they won't lift your spirit when you are having a bad outing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, his dad did go to the media to complain about Omri's coach in Maccabi for not giving him enough PT. That is a fact. Many Israeli sports fans perceive Casspi as arrogant and somewhat of a prima dona. A part of it is what got him to the NBA but he should keep in mind he may face more tough nights when someone like Lamar Odom abuse him and he spend extended time on the bench. He should smile,be a good teammate and talk less. If your teammates don't like you they won't lift your spirit when you are having a bad outing.
One thing you may not know about Kings fans. We give everyone a clean slate when they come to our Kings. We don't judge them on what's gone on before. And we don't judge them on what their parents may or may not have done...

You're making a pretty big leap about Omri that just doesn't seem supported by facts if you base it on what he's done HERE, and that's what I'm going to be looking at. Let him find his way and learn his niche. I personally think he's going to be just fine. It's his warrior instinct that is showing, and that is not a bad thing IMHO.

It could of been avoided, Casspi didnt have to say anything but I dont see this as being a problem.

The coaches were on Reke early too and took him out of the game after a couple of bad series.

I really feel I should step in here and say a couple of things in Omri's defense:

First of all, I read Omri's blog as well, and I can definitely say that your interpretations here are highly, highly exaggerated. He does not "yap" as much as you're trying (for a reason unknown to me) to convey here. Furthermore, I tried very hard to catch that hinted criticism about PW. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. He may have mentioned Tyreke's lack of passing, but in a very acceptable way in my opinion.

Secondly, as a die-hard Maccabi fan I can tell you that we perceive Omri as 100%-heart, 0%-prima dona. Where do you get that from? Again, an overstatement uncalled for.

Sure, they're both young (Reke and Casspi) and they'll both make their mistakes, either on the court or in front of the mic, but it seems to me that you're nitpicking (and in a way that seems non-objective and makes me rather uncomfortable, I must say).

Last edited:
Omri just said that Tyreke will learn better when to kick out over time, which is fairly self-evident. You could read a little passive-aggressive "dude, I'm open" subtext to it, but I hardly consider it a diss.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really feel I should step in here and say a couple of things in Omri's defense:

First of all, I read Omri's blog as well, and I can definitely say that your interpretations here are highly, highly exaggerated. He does not "yap" as much as you're trying (for a reason unknown to me) to convey here. Furthermore, I tried very hard to catch that hinted criticism about PW. Couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. He may have mentioned Tyreke's lack of passing, but in a very acceptable way in my opinion.

Secondly, as a die-hard Maccabi fan I can tell you that we perceive Omri as 100%-heart, 0%-prima dona. Where do you get that from? Again, an overstatement uncalled for.

Sure, they're both young (Reke and Casspi) and they'll both make their mistakes, either on the court or in front of the mic, but it seems to me that you're nitpicking (and in a way that seems non-objective and makes me rather uncomfortable, I must say).
Valid comments. One suggestion? You need to quote the person you're refuting to make sure people can follow the discussion since we'll get several different sub-topics going at the same time in one thread.

I'm assuming you're talking about casspion, since he's the only one who seemed to find so much to criticize about Omri's comments.

S

sactownfan

We are still not going to make playoffs unless we play Bulls every single night and even then we won't

Games like this happen once every hundred years. Too bad we wasted our on such insignificant occasion.
Piksi your pissing me off.... im with you in that playoffs arent a lock... but if Evan's and Martin can figure it out and make it work.... I foresee one of the best backcourts in the NBA... easily one of the best.....

Plus..... IF WE GOT A OKAFOR TYPE 5..... i'd go on the record like Gavin Maloof and say "MARK MY WORDS!!! its playoff time!"

S

sactownfan

i'd also like to say that Jason Thompson is the ROCK of this team right now... without him we'd be horrible....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i'd also like to say that Jason Thompson is the ROCK of this team right now... without him we'd be horrible....
Actually we don't have ONE rock of the team. We have a TEAM, and that's what's making the difference. If you look at the game stats after every game - and I do for the prediction game - you don't see one player doing it all. You see a variety of players contributing, and that's how it was back in the good old days.

This is the Sacramento Kings, not the Sacramento King. This is a case where the total is better than the sum of the parts.

:)

Valid comments. One suggestion? You need to quote the person you're refuting to make sure people can follow the discussion since we'll get several different sub-topics going at the same time in one thread.

I'm assuming you're talking about casspion, since he's the only one who seemed to find so much to criticize about Omri's comments.
Yes, I was referring to casspion.

I try not to quote large posts as these quotes often seem to lengthen the page a little too much, but that's just me. :eek:

One more thing I forgot to mention:

As everyone has been able to witness for themselves, Omri is a very passionate and confident player. He wants to be there in crunch-time. Being a winner and wanting to take responsibility is in his veins. That's a part of what makes the game exciting, and I can understand why he wasn't pleased with his lengthy benching last night.

I realize there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance, but believe me when I tell you that Omri hasn't crossed that line. Yes, he does believe his team can beat any other team, any place, any time, but not because he thinks that he's better than everyone else, but because he knows that he wants it as bad as anyone else, and that he is as ready for a fight as anyone else.

Last edited:
S

sactownfan

Actually we don't have ONE rock of the team. We have a TEAM, and that's what's making the difference. If you look at the game stats after every game - and I do for the prediction game - you don't see one player doing it all. You see a variety of players contributing, and that's how it was back in the good old days.

This is the Sacramento Kings, not the Sacramento King. This is a case where the total is better than the sum of the parts.

:)
obviously i totally agree.... the point was... for our front line... you can interchange Beno, S.Rod, Casspi, Garcia, Martin, Greene, Noc, for one an other and still win... but with our 4 and 5 spot being soooooo weak.... JT has been the constant ROCK for this team... he bangs and is physical every game... if JT fouled out in the first quarter of a game you could pretty much put us down for a L (even in light of last night) .... again everyone is important/playing great and Evans is the obvious stud right now... but JT is the ROCK... make sense? JT has little help in the paint right now... in fact at times hes on an island alone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
obviously i totally agree.... the point was... for our front line... you can interchange Beno, S.Rod, Casspi, Garcia, Martin, Greene, Noc, for one an other and still win... but with our 4 and 5 spot being soooooo weak.... JT has been the constant ROCK for this team... he bangs and is physical every game... if JT fouled out in the first quarter of a game you could pretty much put us down for a L (even in light of last night) .... again everyone is important/playing great and Evans is the obvious stud right now... but JT is the ROCK... make sense? JT has little help in the paint right now... in fact at times hes on an island alone.
Ah, okay. Makes sense...and thanks be to the great god Naismith that JT is learning how to avoid at least a bit of the lure of the whistle.

:p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And I don't think there is an issue. Some folks choose to make problems where there are none. He didn't disrespect anyone. The team does have good chemistry. And Omri is a big part of that. He made a statement about a rookie learning to pass better with time. What is the big deal here????
There is no big deal. This is the PC version of truth telling.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Piksi your pissing me off.... im with you in that playoffs arent a lock... but if Evan's and Martin can figure it out and make it work.... I foresee one of the best backcourts in the NBA... easily one of the best.....

Plus..... IF WE GOT A OKAFOR TYPE 5..... i'd go on the record like Gavin Maloof and say "MARK MY WORDS!!! its playoff time!"
Plus - we are one injury away from being the worst again - don't you get that ? You would get Okafor type 5 and not give up Kevin ? - let me know how that works for you.

Shouldn't you be able to beat good teams first ? Let's see how that works.

We are a young team and success doesn't happen over night - not in the NBA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.