Cat out of bag and other latest news, rumors, etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is so transparent:

Hansen/Ballmer/Maloof's sues NBA for losses
Wins
Sacramento/CA sues HBM for losses to the city after losing team
Wins
Seattle/WA sues Sac/CA for losses to local economy
Wins
CA declares war on WA
Wins, but Sac and Olympia/Seattle decimated
North Korea buys Kings and moves them, Rodman is owner/GM, NBA approves deal unilaterally

Duh.
Now that was funny!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
But what ground does hansen has against the NBA? I mean, it's always a possibility to sue over anything, but how could Hansen win this potential lawsuit?
They couldn't, but the Maloofs could! Thats the point. Hansen is offering more money, and thereby trying to convince the Maloofs to sue for damages through and antitrust suit.

Grant had a sports lawyer from SI on who said that this sale all hinges on what the amount the NBA takes up. Is it the original bid? The 1st raise or the 2nd and most recent raise in price? If it's the original bid sac has this sewed up. If it's the other 2 we may be looking at bye bye kings.

IF stern asks our investors to match the most recent price when does it become bad business to try to keep a team here? These guys are millionaires and billionaires for a reason. Im pretty sure they don't have balmer/nordstrom/microsoft type money.

The type of money balmer and co. are willing to throw around may be enough to sway the BOG to go against the relocation committee. Reading some people here you would think this is just an impossibility.
No chance... The NBA would go against their recommendation and this last bid (even the second one) hasn't even been acknowledged by the NBA yet has it?

I am pretty sure that tweet by the Heat owner is the way that most of the owners feel (if not all) so if you are worrying then it's all for nothing. Sac is keeping the Kings, end of story.

No chance... The NBA would go against their recommendation and this last bid (even the second one) hasn't even been acknowledged by the NBA yet has it?

I am pretty sure that tweet by the Heat owner is the way that most of the owners feel (if not all) so if you are worrying then it's all for nothing. Sac is keeping the Kings, end of story.

Yes, the latest bump by Hansen/Ballmer I believe, from what I initially heard, isn't the official number that will go before the BOG, I believe it will be the 550. I have the full confidence that both votes will go our way - the relocation and the sale.. What is uncertain, and is potentially made more uncertain by antics like Hansen/Ballmer's latest offer, is getting this franchise out of the hands of the Maloofs and into Vivek's hands in a timely fashion

Last edited:
Of course that is what Hansen is angling for. And right now he's trying to bribe the Maloofs to bring it.

A potential factor here could be the Maloofs' stated desire to be sports owners again, maybe in the NHL. If they leave the NBA creating a giant ****storm, that's it for that dream. They will be as toxic to everyone else as they are to us.
This is basically Hansen trying to use the Maloofs to do the dirty work that he has no legal grounds or the ability to do himself. He waved all legal rights once he entered into this process. Just have to wonder if the Maloofs will be fooled into running into battle as the pawn wearing the fake Kings crown. They almost let Samueli use their butts, wonder if they'll smarten up on this one and realize why Hansen is asking them to pick up that pencil he just dropped on the floor.

Yes, the latest bump by Hansen/Ballmer I believe isn't the official number that will go before the BOG, I believe it will be the 550. I have the full confidence that both votes will go our way - the relocation and the sale.. What is uncertain, and is potentially made more uncertain by antics like Hansen/Ballmer's latest offer, is getting this franchise out of the hands of the Maloofs and into Vivek's hands in a timely fashion
That part has me a bit worried as well, but I believe the NBA has this covered if when saying the Kings are not a "mobile franchise". The only reason Hansen is offering this much for the team because he thinks the Kings can be moved to Seattle.

Do you think Hansen would pay that much for a team which cannot be moved ever? Do you think the NBA wants to keep going through this with Sacramento, and malicious owners? Absolutely not.

Once the relocation is voted down this no longer becomes a mobile franchise so the valuation goes down to what Vivek offered. That's why the deal was contingent on the move in the first place because they were willing to pay more for a franchise they could move, but if they cannot move this one then there is no reason they would even want it.

Just have to wonder if the Maloofs will be fooled into running into battle as the pawn wearing the fake Kings crown. They almost let Samueli use their butts, wonder if they'll smarten up on this one and realize why Hansen is asking them to pick up that pencil he just dropped on the floor.
I believe this is impossible. They've proven so many times that money is their only value system. Not making it, just spending it.

Even if its the Maloofs filing an anti-trust lawsuit, the league owners are going to know Hansen/Ballmer are behind it. By the way, since the owners are the "league," suing is really going to pee them off.

As pointed out above, neither of the subsequent increased bid amounts would even be available to the Maloofs, without Sacramento's investors entering the picture. I don't see how they can argue that they lost any money, when Sacramento matched the original bid, which would have been the amount they'd receive without Sacramento in the picture.

And since the Sacramento group was asked to ensure that Hansen got back his $30 million, Hansen has no monetary damages to claim. If he loses some of his 100 million on the SODO land, well that's just the kind of loss any developer assumes when they buy a piece of land, with no guarantee he'll get to build what he wants to build.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Yup.

The committee has discussed only one offer, the offer that Vivek and his crew have matched. The BoG would like to hear a recommendation of the committee and no matter what Hansen says is his latest offer, the committee has not discussed either raise in offer. Hansen apparently does not think that the NBA rules apply when he is involved. He knows darn well the BoG won't even consider the last two offers.

I'd love to know how binding any dealings with the NBA are as when you wish to join most organizations, you need to play by their rules. Even rich people can't buy their way into a country club if the country club doesn't want them. I would suspect that the possibility of a law suit is something the BoG anticipates and they are essentially saying "bring it on." If there is a law suit, the Maloofs will need to be ready to play at least one more season in Sacramento as no court case of this magnitude will be resolved quickly. If there is any indication that Hansen is funding the suit, he will have committed suicide.

Come to think of it, none of us know if Ballmer or the Nordstroms will go along with a law suit.

Last edited:
That part has me a bit worried as well, but I believe the NBA has this covered if when saying the Kings are not a "mobile franchise". The only reason Hansen is offering this much for the team because he thinks the Kings can be moved to Seattle.

Do you think Hansen would pay that much for a team which cannot be moved ever? Do you think the NBA wants to keep going through this with Sacramento, and malicious owners? Absolutely not.

Once the relocation is voted down this no longer becomes a mobile franchise so the valuation goes down to what Vivek offered. That's why the deal was contingent on the move in the first place because they were willing to pay more for a franchise they could move, but if they cannot move this one then there is no reason they would even want it.

Yeah thats the ball of wax.. If the NBA told the Maloofs/HBN after these votes come back favorable to Sacramento that the Kings aren't going anywhere in the future as well (at least to Seattle under HBN), it erases the Magoofs levarge and simultaneously gets rid of the poaching HBN.. it's just if they won't/can't say that, it leaves the door cracked open

Last edited:
Hansen is obviously positioning this thing for an antitrust battle and using Maloofs as his pawns. This could get ugly but I am still confident the team will remain in Sacramento owned by Vivek.

Could this be where the NBA invokes the "in the interest of the league" clause if there is such a thing! Hansen is going all in. He is desperate which suggest to me that if he doesn't win the team, he is set to lose ****loads of money!

There is a source that claims the relocation was 4-3 but as expected the dissenters were encouraged to change their votes. It will be interesting to see how many votes are along the lines of keeping Sac here vs the $.

There is a source that claims the relocation was 4-3 but as expected the dissenters were encouraged to change their votes. It will be interesting to see how many votes are along the lines of keeping Sac here vs the $.
Do you have link to back up that source? This is literally the first I've heard that the decision was split. There is a lot of rumor and speculation floating around, and it would be nice to have some hard evidence.

Such behaviour does not win hearts or earn respect.

Sacramento has placed itself in a position to be successful as they have listened to the NBA, followed their process, and met key criteria.

Seattle is clearly not following a process set by the NBA. So despite additional (last minute) bidding, all indicators still point in Sacramento's favour re the voting.

In addition, David Stern has managed to maintain a position of control throughout the entire process. He is not politically weak and I doubt he will appreciate H & B too much right now.

Law suits are not my area of expertise...but I have faith in the way things have gone so far and don't think an act of desperation from someone I don't like will weigh me down too much...

Lawsuits like this take a long time. No chance the Maloofs don't take the money and get out. It's too risky to be fighting Hansen's battle. Not that I think the Maloofs are smart... but it's incredibly risky for the Maloofs to be doing Hansen's bidding when the decision making will be out of their hands.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like to see a link to anywhere else this has been mentioned. Aside from something coming out of Seattle, I tend to think it's nothing more than someone trying to stir the pot.

I'd have to go back and check to be sure but I'm almost positive that David Stern himself even mentioned it was a 7-0 vote, something he didn't expect.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lawsuits like this take a long time. No chance the Maloofs don't take the money and get out. It's too risky to be fighting Hansen's battle. Not that I think the Maloofs are smart... but it's incredibly risky for the Maloofs to be doing Hansen's bidding when the decision making will be out of their hands.
Yep. And the NBA does have one more arrow should they choose to use it - the Maloofs owe the NBA about 1/3 (if not more) of what they're going to be getting from the sale.

What I hate reading is "Kings now valued at 625MM!"

No they are not. Just because one idiot is willing to over spend on something does not make its value. The owners know this, they higher bid does nothing for them personally.

Yep. And the NBA does have one more arrow should they choose to use it - the Maloofs owe the NBA about 1/3 (if not more) of what they're going to be getting from the sale.
Yep, Maloofs balk at selling to Sac, then I think the league should send them a demand for full repayment immediately. (Of course, Hansen might give them the money to do that, I suppose.)

Yep, Maloofs balk at selling to Sac, then I think the league should send them a demand for full repayment immediately. (Of course, Hansen might give them the money to do that, I suppose.)
Let him.. Just more idiotic moves from idiotic people.

Seriously though, Hansen is turning out to be just as bad as the Maloofs in all of this and the Seattle fans are following Hansen, which is why I hope they never get a team now. EVER.....

What I hate reading is "Kings now valued at 625MM!"

No they are not. Just because one idiot is willing to over spend on something does not make its value. The owners know this, they higher bid does nothing for them personally.
Correct. Wonder why this isn't brought up in regards to this issue. It's a pretty blatantly inflated price that may have no bearing on future worth for others.

Let him.. Just more idiotic moves from idiotic people.

Seriously though, Hansen is turning out to be just as bad as the Maloofs in all of this and the Seattle fans are following Hansen, which is why I hope they never get a team now. EVER.....
Yeah when Sonics fans started saying Hansen should buy Kings and then move them in a couple of years when he can't get an arena in Sac (basically what they say Bennett did to them) they lost any shred of sympathy from me.

For anyone who doubts this just look up the pain in the arse al Davis was to the NFL. He was in and out of federal court for 13 years. If this goes to court there could be a very long battle brewing.

Can anyone tell me if balmer could just complete the sale of the team and just move the team to seattle? Is there anything legally stopping him from doing that?

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
For anyone who doubts this just look up the pain in the arse al Davis was to the NFL. He was in and out of federal court for 13 years. If this goes to court there could be a very long battle brewing.

Can anyone tell me if balmer could just complete the sale of the team and just move the team to seattle? Is there anything legally stopping him from doing that?
Yes.

It's the fact that NO sale can be completed without NBA approval. If the Maloofs do try to move the team to Seattle anyways, their NBA life will be dull with no games scheduled in Seattle next year. I guess they could go watch team practices all year if they like......not sure how much you can charge to watch Travis Outlaw start in every scrimmage.

Thank you for finding the source of that highly dubious factoid.

Egad, an anonymous, Hansen insider spewing a truthism that contradicts every other reported and properly sourced statement on the subject to a pro-Sonics news outlet. Uh oh, my common sense is tingling ...

Although describing as a "kickback" the Vivek Group's assurance they would contribute into rather than take from the revenue sharing pot when the new arena opened confused me. I was under the impression at that point the Group expects the franchise to not be in the state of disrepair the Maloofs intentionally left it in and would not need to be a "taker" anymore. Not that, as this article suggests, they just would funnel the $18 million (because that's what they'll be due ad infinitum, regardless of the team's changing fortunes apparently) back into the NBA's coffers annually. Please, correct me if my assumptions were wrong.

The rest of the article amounts to me screaming at the computer monitor "That's not my damn problem, Seattle. Leave my team alone."