C/PF off season discussion

Napear keeps talking about D. Jordan in FA. He's only 30, which for a center isn't old. Could be a good stop-gap for the next three years. He can still play D and rebound and his free throw shooting isn't a problem anymore. If the Kings do go after him in FA, it's a sign they believe Bagley and Giles can be good enough with their outside shooting to spread the floor for Fox. If you think about it, WCS certainly didn't spread the floor, so if you substitute Jordan you get another guy who doesn't spread the floor, but is a much better rebounder and rim protector.
Id be happy with Jordan. Think next year he could bounce back some. After lackluster season his star has faded and hopeful we can pick him up off the garbage heap. Dedmon would be a good option for our 2nd center with ok rim protection and rebounding and a good enough 3pt shooter to space the floor.
If not Jordan, Whiteside would be solid too

I think DeAndre Jordan would be great here. I know he’d like to stay in New York and recruit Durant which looks like very well could happen. New York seems to have Durant and Kyrie in their crosshairs both to max deals which would only leave $5 mill for DeAndre. I doubt he’d be willing to take that much of a discount and end up going elsewhere.

DeAndre’s tangibles you mentioned would be welcome along with the leadership and attitude he brings. He was supportive of the young bigs in New York and was even inactive down the stretch so they could play and didn’t take issue with it.
I always hoped wcs would model his game after deandre Jordan. Defensive shot blocker and rebounder who got most of his points off lobs and put backs. Get like 15-20 points and rebounds without plays needed to be drawn up for him. I'm just wondering how much it would cost to get Jordan vs Mcgee, dedmon or even wcs. I'm not willing to pay $20 million for a stop gap center which is what he's been getting paid the last 3 years.

I don’t imagine DeAndre will get more than $15-16 mill over 3 years wherever he ends up. This is a pretty deep FA class so there will probably be some guys waiting around for awhile and end up signing for a bargain just because the market goes cold. Not saying that will be the case with DeAndre but if the kings miss out on him and go a different direction.

NO NO NO

Don't throw big money to center this offseason, no need to do it, if we can get for cheap one of these guys Robin Lopez, Dedmon, Ed Davis maybe even Joakim to come here and start and when Giles is ready they (the veteran center) will be ok to come of the bench.

You just don't throw almost all of the cap space for a center... especially Vucevic when we have Giles on the team.
Not sure if serious. Giles is a bench 4/5 guy. We need a big time frontline player to take on the bigs like Nurkic, Jokic, Steven Adams, etc if the Kings want to compete in the playoffs. Neither Bagley nor Giles have proven to hang with the bigger guys down low, but they can work part time filling in against smaller teams.

The other reason to spend now is because the market is ripe with bigs this off season. This drives down value of those players, as a greater supply than demand = better chance at nabbing a player the Kings would normally never be able to land. Got to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. I don't think the team will be able to sign Vucevic, but they can sign a guy like Jordan, or Whiteside, or Jonas if they open their checkbooks. Having a league-leader in rebounding and shot blocking is worth the price, especially now.

Jordan would depend on what Walton wants to run. If he wants the big to be a facilitator like Joerger did then he can do some of that but I'm not sure he's the best fit in that regard.

Jordan would depend on what Walton wants to run. If he wants the big to be a facilitator like Joerger did then he can do some of that but I'm not sure he's the best fit in that regard.
If Giles and Neminja get burn at the four, (with Barnes at his correct position as SF), they can take some of that facilitating load on the high post and let the centers gobble up the rebounds.

Javale Mcgee as a stop gap for no more than 3/4 million makes plenty of sense provided Walton is for it.
Exactly, Javale on speed dial should other option dry up or the cost is too much. I wouldn't mind a maxed Vucevic, but concerned if he is truly worth that whole cost and from what i remember he seems to miss a lot of time with injuries.

DeAndre Jordan has been a much better defender over his career. He's tailing off a little bit right now while McGee is actually slightly improving. Jordan is still a better defender at the moment and if the price is right, I'd take him in a heart beat over McGee. Jordan is a starter but McGee is a backup in my opinion.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There is no doubt that it will click with DMC at some point in time like it has with many before him. Question is has it and if it hasn’t, when will it?!

It took ZBo his 4th team for the penny to drop. If DMC is at that point he would actually be better fit for this team than any other FA out there with his overall skill level.
Step 1: Trade Boogie for a struggling shooter and a draft pick
Step 2: turn that draft pick into two players (Justin Jackson and Harry Giles)
Step 3: watch the struggling shooter turn into an elite shooter.
Step 4: Watch the redshirt second first rounder flash the potential that had scouts rate him as a better prospect than KAT.
Step 5: Turn JJ into your solid roleplaying SF.
Step 6: Re-sign a Boogie who has spent the last season getting indoctrinated in the exact system that your new coach is going to run.
Step 7: Profit

Unfortunately I don't think he's a great fit, but Noah Vonleh is someone who could be had for cheap and I've liked since his college days.
He could be a terrific 3rd big fit wise that has that versatility they are looking for. A true 4/5 combo that's quick enough to switch defensively and big enough to bang down low that can also play inside and out offensively. Fit would be a plus IMO.

DeAndre Jordan has been a much better defender over his career. He's tailing off a little bit right now while McGee is actually slightly improving. Jordan is still a better defender at the moment and if the price is right, I'd take him in a heart beat over McGee. Jordan is a starter but McGee is a backup in my opinion.
I guess it depends on how much he's motivated. The Kings next year will have bigger expections than the Mavs and Knicks had this year, but his age is also an important factor.

Regardless, I don't think I'd want him on a big deal. His fit with Bagley is as suspect as WCS, his age still, and of course we have Giles waiting in the wings to take big minutes eventually even if it's not next year.

Napear keeps talking about D. Jordan in FA. He's only 30, which for a center isn't old. Could be a good stop-gap for the next three years. He can still play D and rebound and his free throw shooting isn't a problem anymore. If the Kings do go after him in FA, it's a sign they believe Bagley and Giles can be good enough with their outside shooting to spread the floor for Fox. If you think about it, WCS certainly didn't spread the floor, so if you substitute Jordan you get another guy who doesn't spread the floor, but is a much better rebounder and rim protector.
I am not sure that DAJ is actually all that great at defending these days. A solid 2 year stop gap until Marvin and Harry mature and take over. Either way, I think he is an upgrade on WCS.

It really depends on what Luke wants from his C. If he wants someone who can defend, rebound, shoot the 3 and run the offense, then there are maybe 3 Cs in the free agency that can do all of that and would cost a fair bit of money. Those two are Vucevic, M. Gasol and Cousins.

If we are after someone who will rim run, defend, rebound and set good screens and just generally get their offense from scraps then there are guys like DeAndre Jordan and Derrick Favors.

There are also other options like Jonas Valanciunas who can rebound, take up some space and provide post offense.

In ideal world, we want to be starting Bagley at PF which means that ideally, your big man next to Bagley will cover Bagley's weaknesses and provide him with more spacing. Vucevic, Cousins and maybe Gasol would be best in this role. They can all also initiate the offense and pass the ball well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Step 4: Watch the redshirt second first rounder flash the potential that had scouts rate him as a better prospect than KAT.
Step 6: Re-sign a Boogie who has spent the last season getting indoctrinated in the exact system that your new coach is going to run.
And of course as soon as I make this joke, DMC tears his quad

Would Jordan help us recruit Beverley? Because I really, really want Beverley on the team. Anyway, Jordan or Lopez for me. Two different versions of a solid, specialized vet--just depends on what they want to put next to Bagley.

I just get very concerned watched
And of course as soon as I make this joke, DMC tears his quad
No way did he??

The more I think about it, the more I feel our target will be DeAndre Jordan on a 3 year deal with the 3rd year partially guaranteed.

Vucevic would be a home run but even if we drop a max on him, Orlando can offer more and he seems to like it there. No doubt we would show interest and he would listen but does he take less money to go to Kings with a prospect of success in his career? Time will tell.

DAJ is the next tier down in terms of FA. Not an ideal fit with Bagley but is a better fit overall than WCS. DAJ is still a great rebounder, blocks shots, can bang with the big boys, sets very good screens and gets his off the scraps, alley-oops and rolls to the basket. If Bagley can improve his 3pt shooting even more over the summer and get that to a respectable level (ala Fox this season), then the fit isn't as problematic, Although, ideally, you want Bagley working on the block.

And if Grant has been talking up DeAndre Jordan, then you can just about put it down in pen that he is our man.

The more I think about it, the more I feel our target will be DeAndre Jordan on a 3 year deal with the 3rd year partially guaranteed.

Vucevic would be a home run but even if we drop a max on him, Orlando can offer more and he seems to like it there. No doubt we would show interest and he would listen but does he take less money to go to Kings with a prospect of success in his career? Time will tell.

DAJ is the next tier down in terms of FA. Not an ideal fit with Bagley but is a better fit overall than WCS. DAJ is still a great rebounder, blocks shots, can bang with the big boys, sets very good screens and gets his off the scraps, alley-oops and rolls to the basket. If Bagley can improve his 3pt shooting even more over the summer and get that to a respectable level (ala Fox this season), then the fit isn't as problematic, Although, ideally, you want Bagley working on the block.

And if Grant has been talking up DeAndre Jordan, then you can just about put it down in pen that he is our man.
To be honest, I'd rather take a chance with someone else like Jonas Valanciunas (Player option), or cheaper short term options like JaVale McGee, or Kyle O'Quinn, instead of DeAndre Jordan. I always find him overrated because things he do are flashy.

If you've followed the team for some time you are aware that Grant typically will discuss players who, at least on occasion, end up on the team. So, given his recent proclamations regarding DeAndre Jordan, I would suspect the front office is targeting him. Interpreting what I've read and heard recently I believe they are definitely looking for a defensive oriented Center who can run the floor and rebound.