Big Man Blues

The Kings have some great guards on the team now that are developing rapidly. Bogey, Fox and Mason and Hield. Hill is okay. The 3 is a problem, but against some teams Bogey can take that position and make small ball work really well. Temple is erratic. Love him or hate him. JJ is a ways away from being ready. Vince is like the secret weapon that only comes out some of the time.

The big men seem to have a lot of trouble playing team defense and rebounding. Randolph can be a force on offense, but never plays defense even at an average level. He seems to be a better offensive rebounder than on defense. Willie and Skal both seem to put a lot of effort into their offense. Willie plays out of control a some of the time. Both are working on their left hands, but not there yet. Willie has had some really good offensive nights but is not consistent. The effort he puts into rebounding varies wildly.

Willie and Skal are both below average defenders. They have a lot of trouble defending the 3 point line and give up plenty of lay-ups. When they rotate from the weak side they are late. Their defensive rebounding is terrible. They have a lot of 4 board games even when they get 25 minutes or more. There have been some exceptions. Willie on a good night, fills up the stat sheet.

Kufous is a journey man type 5 that always works hard on defense and rebounding. Against the Lakers, KK got the same amount of rebounds in 20 minutes that Randolph, Willie and Skal combined got in around 25 minutes each. Kufous is not really the guy you want to start on your team, but at some point his rebounding and defense are so much better than the other 3 guys I think you have to consider it. KK on offense has a limited arsenal, but shoots a high percentage.

If the Kings are going to be able to compete night in and night out, then they better figure out how to get some rebounding and defense from the 4 and 5 positions. It is their Achilles Heel.

Last edited:
WCS is definitely a work in progress but is trending upwards. He is a role player at the end of the day but i still wouldn't get rid of him for anything less than a no brainer deal. Skal is the biggest project on the roster and it doesn't suprise me. For one this time last year he was a big horn after 1 year at Kentucky where he was drafted 28th so it's not like he is a blue chipper, I think it's important to keep that in mind. Then we have the great unknowns in Giles and Papagiannis. Overall I think we're in a decent position going into the draft where we should definitely draft the BPA outside of guards.

Papa is probably a career role player.
Giles could help if he can stay in one piece.
My point is that the Kings bigs are all projects. They are not consistent at all. I would be searching for a trade for a proven player at the 4 or 5 not another rookie.

Papa is probably a career role player.
Giles could help if he can stay in one piece.
My point is that the Kings bigs are all projects. They are not consistent at all. I would be searching for a trade for a proven player at the 4 or 5 not another rookie.
Yes the Kings are all projects I thought that was the consensus across the board. It's easy to say trade for a "proven player" but who exactly do you have in mind?

This topic is the key for the Kings going forward. Not the coach or any of the guards, or even the wing players. It is all about the big men and their lack of toughness, poor defense and pee poor rebounding except for KK.

Easily both have franchise potential but I think Doncic is more likely to reach it and will just be an overall better player

Not necessarily. Have you watched much of Arizona thus year? Besides youtube highlights? Sat down and watched a game or games? Ayton is something special. In fact, if the Kings keep Joerger. Ayton makes way more sense. Especially, with the offense Joerger wants to run. There's a reason Randolph is on this team. That's not to discount Doncic. I think he will be great, as well.

But, Kings need to take best available talent. Not Based on need. Kings are not set at any position. Maybe, SG.

That's a hot take...care to explain why you feel this way?
Makes no sense does it!

There are two things that a player must have in order to succeed and those are:

1. Talent
2. Excellent work ethic

I think its safe to say that for a season and a half now, Skal has displayed that he has both. When we drafted him, he was considered a project. Nothing has changed but he certainly has shown enough to suggest that he will have a pretty solid career in the NBA. And that is before you consider that he has started playing basketball late AND he has only appeared in 70 NBA games to date

Skal and Willie are not the guys that should be shooting 3s. Willie has trouble from 15 feet most of the time.
The League is currently in love with the 3, but we have plenty of guys that can fill it up without resorting to taking our 2 big men and putting them out in space away from the basket.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Skal and Willie are not the guys that should be shooting 3s. Willie has trouble from 15 feet most of the time.
The League is currently in love with the 3, but we have plenty of guys that can fill it up without resorting to taking our 2 big men and putting them out in space away from the basket.
I'd look to change the way Skal shoots because he has this wind up before he shoots it which makes his form look good but the end result not there, I feel with a little tweak he can fix that J.

Skal's issues go way beyond his shooting form. For his size he is an above average shooter. When he learns to play defense and rebound with authority then we can talk about his offense.