Bibby Mic'd Up - Thoughts?

What were everybodys thoughts on Mike when he tried to push Martin away from taking that free throw on Iverson's "T"? How he was all "I gotta get 10 in the 1st, gotta get 10, gotta get 10"...

Thought that was a bit..."different".

Kinda upset me a bit.

I don't mind Mike taking that shot...he and Kev have been shooting FT's pretty iffy equally compared to their normal stats...but his reason was kinda odd.

i was thinking the exact same thing...one reason i like him is cuz to me he didnt seem to care bout that kinda thing...and it made me kinda mad also...i kept tryin to figure out a reason why he would have needed to shoot it or whatever but i couldnt think of any...hopefully there was some reason for him saying that...it was kind of embarrassing to kings/bibby fans to hear the mic'd up little segment..

Yea, it was weird. Him shooting it isn't the problem, because he or Kevin should...the reasoning however was a bit odd.

The whole segment was kinda bad...

They painted him out to be a ball hog.

Then again...lol

Mike seemed pretty serious...and there wasn't anything funny about it.

Seems as if he just wanted his 10 points in the 1st quarter...and that was about as deep as the situation was.

Yeah really, he was probably just joking around with martin, and even if he wasnt, who cares? hes never cared about his stats before, im sure hes not gonna suddenly watch them religiously.

I think he was likely joking around. Why? Because more than once over the years, his teammates have said Bibby is the biggest clown and joker on the team. Yeah, I know. :eek: But that's how his teammates have painted him over the years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To each their own I guess.

It's about 50/50 on people who think he was playing and who think he was serious from a few different boards.

Guess we'll never know.
No offense whatsoever, but for the most part I avoid other boards like the plague because some of them have members with the basketball acumen of spitwads.

There was NOTHING sinister or weird behind that comment, IMHO. Bibby and Martin joke a lot. If you're going to read so much into everything, what about the taped intro, when Mike Bibby says, "Kevin 'The Goose' Martin"? Or "Brad 'The Hillbilly' Miller"?

Lighten up, Ezekiel. The team needs a few light moments once in a while. They've been under the microscope all year...

I'll bet he had a personal bet with another player, maybe Eddie House, that he would score 10 in the first quarter. Maybe he bet someone he would outscore Iverson in the first quarter?

No offense whatsoever, but for the most part I avoid other boards like the plague because some of them have members with the basketball acumen of spitwads.

There was NOTHING sinister or weird behind that comment, IMHO. Bibby and Martin joke a lot. If you're going to read so much into everything, what about the taped intro, when Mike Bibby says, "Kevin 'The Goose' Martin"? Or "Brad 'The Hillbilly' Miller"?

Lighten up, Ezekiel. The team needs a few light moments once in a while. They've been under the microscope all year...
And some of them don't. Kingfans isn't the only place with educated posters. Other peoples opinions can hold weight and do so.

Being around Mike prior, that just didn't seem like his normal sense of dry humor to me. I think there was plenty behind it. He wasn't attempting to be a jerk, but, it speaks volumes to me.

That looked pretty serious to me. He wasn't even smiling or anything i can not see how that was a joke, unless that was an inside joke, it was not even funny. I can not remember but who did take the free throw.

Last edited:
That looked pretty serious to me. He wasn't even smiling or anything i can not see how that was a joke, unless that was an inside joke, it was not even funny. I can not remember but who did take the free throw.
Kevin took it.

You could hear Mussleman screaming "KEVIN KEVIN KEVIN".

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Also, Kingsfans.com isn't completely free of the spitwad-acumen ridden posters. ;)

Knowing he's mic'd up, there's no way Bibby says that in any seriousness.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I fear that we read way to much into things. :rolleyes: Bibby knew full well he was mic'd. I can very easily see him make a stupid comment just to see where it would lead. Then, he sits back with the fellas and laughs his *** off after the game.

Of course Bibby wanted 10. He had 9 at the time. That free throw would've given him... his number!

It means something to these guys. Call it superstition, whatever... Players internalize their numbers. Bibby getting 10 meant something to him. I bet Kevin, on some level, understood.

Of course Bibby wanted 10. He had 9 at the time. That free throw would've given him... his number!

It means something to these guys. Call it superstition, whatever... Players internalize their numbers. Bibby getting 10 meant something to him. I bet Kevin, on some level, understood.
i didn't think bibby was joking either. but i like this perspective. and now i dont have to read into it. thanks.

Oh yeah, let's hear all the Bibby haters again.

Isn't him opting out in the summer the best thing that could happen for you anyway? So what's the problem?

Seriously, the guy can't even joke around a bit without a pack of hyenas jumping all over him for his sin of the day. I thought joking around with your teammates was good? Built up this morale and comradeship thang that we so desperately lacked all year? And finally get some flashes of?

Just to be clear, since I'm new in the forum, I was speaking figuratively and didn't mean to call any poster personally a 'hyena', if somebody would take that as an insult. I wouldn't, I like hyenas. But I wouldn't want Bibby to be eaten by them. Or any King.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Just to be clear, since I'm new in the forum, I was speaking figuratively and didn't mean to call any poster personally a 'hyena', if somebody would take that as an insult. I wouldn't, I like hyenas. But I wouldn't want Bibby to be eaten by them. Or any King.
Would you prefer trampled by wildebeest? Welcome to the forums!

Mike seemed pretty serious...and there wasn't anything funny about it.

Seems as if he just wanted his 10 points in the 1st quarter...and that was about as deep as the situation was.

There was no way he was serious. I thought it was good, showed they had chemistry and had fun playing. Mike gave him a little smirk while he was talking, I mean think about it, it doesn't make sense for him not to be joking. They could have also had a bet before the game or something, all I know is that Mike wasn't serious.

Why is this a negative thread? Bibby was our only bright spot tonight, he barely missed.

:)

Bibby has raised eyebrows before with his comments. A few weeks ago in a post game interview Grant asked him what Muss was talking bout in the last huddle, Mike said he wasn't listening. And then last year in the playoff game in SA we could clearly see he wasn't paying any attention in the last huddle right before he let Brent Barry take the 3 to tie. And lets not forget the post game interview for the last Laker game in LA when he pronounced the game over and stopped shooting until a courtside heckler got him mad and then decided to start shooting again. Sometimes what you see with Mike is what you get.