Better pick? Doncic or Bagley? split from Vlade thread ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is also an issue and one that would give me pause to extend Vlade. Two high usage players can coexist and is in fact optimal. Harden-Paul,Curry- Durant, James-Irving, James-Wade.
Are we really going to rehash this topic again?

Those players were all established stars. They chose to team up together.

Fox was a young pup and Doncic was a rookie. Two basically rookies trying to stake their claim as the alpha dog role means someone will take a lesser role.

Either Doncic or Fox would had taken a back seat. If Doncic did, his numbers would be nowhere near what they were being the sole alpha dog. If Doncic numbers would had been average as a secondary ball handler to Fox and Bagley blew up in Atlanta, there would be people saying we should had taken Bagley over Doncic.

Doncic landed in the perfect spot. An owner and coach that wanted to give him the world and the sole key to the car. In Sacramento, we don't know if that would had been the case, as Fox has proven to be a top end point guard. With Joeger's reluctance to hand over the keys to any rookie, Doncic may not have flourished here in Sacramento as he did in Dallas.

Are we really going to rehash this topic again?

Those players were all established stars. They chose to team up together.

Fox was a young pup and Doncic was a rookie. Two basically rookies trying to stake their claim as the alpha dog role means someone will take a lesser role.

Either Doncic or Fox would had taken a back seat. If Doncic did, his numbers would be nowhere near what they were being the sole alpha dog. If Doncic numbers would had been average as a secondary ball handler to Fox and Bagley blew up in Atlanta, there would be people saying we should had taken Bagley over Doncic.

Doncic landed in the perfect spot. An owner and coach that wanted to give him the world and the sole key to the car. In Sacramento, we don't know if that would had been the case, as Fox has proven to be a top end point guard. With Joeger's reluctance to hand over the keys to any rookie, Doncic may not have flourished here in Sacramento as he did in Dallas.
Doncic had a usg of 30 and fox had a usg of 24.5. You can have two 30 + usg guys on the same team. There are multiple teams every year that have that and they tend to be the better teams.

If Jeorger wouldn't be on board with playing a rookie like Doncic (doubt it considering comments he made) you fire him..... Like the Kings just did.

Doncic had a usg of 30 and fox had a usg of 24.5. You can have two 30 + usg guys on the same team. There are multiple teams every year that have that and they tend to be the better teams.

If Jeorger wouldn't be on board with playing a rookie like Doncic (doubt it considering comments he made) you fire him..... Like the Kings just did.
You'd expect Fox and Bagley's usage to increase and get to that 30 point mark in time. The offense is far from complete at this juncture and both have similar usage rates, Bagley at 23.3 and Fox this year at 26.1 this year, more closer to Doncic then you quoted

Doncic's usage is as much to do with the system instilled around him but both Fox and Bagley will be high usage players who will be around that 30 + mark

I'm almost cool with Bagley right now.
The other one is better and it's pretty clear, but MBIII could become good as well.
I appreciate Bagley improved game by game, let's see how he develops in the next years. Still has a long way to go, but he's on the right path.
Messina would be a good coach for him, he needs someone with that kind of basketball culture.
RS matters until the All Star break, after that it's basically valuable as summer leagues so I didn't care that much.

Taking Bagley, AND HARRISON BARNES... Doncic's arrival in Dallas also enabled us land Barnes for cheap.. So not only was the right move made, but we've already compounded it.

Doncic is simply not a match for our playstyle, or personnel, compared to Marvin..

Also ATL won the trade for Doncic in a landslide. Trae Young was easily the best rookie in the league post ASB.

Dallas overpaid for him. We on the other hand completely lucked into Marvin, hit the lotto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm almost cool with Bagley right now.
The other one is better and it's pretty clear, but MBIII could become good as well.
I appreciate Bagley improved game by game, let's see how he develops in the next years. Still has a long way to go, but he's on the right path.
Messina would be a good coach for him, he needs someone with that kind of basketball culture.
RS matters until the All Star break, after that it's basically valuable as summer leagues so I didn't care that much.
Did no one here learn a lesson from Tyreke's Rookie season? I bet lots of ya's thought he was better than James Harden and Steph Curry at that juncture.....

crap I'm sure most people woulda thrown De'Aaron under the bus here after year 1 too infavor of some players we know now are lesser talents.

What makes u so sure after one season that Luka's better? and that it isnt a tyreke evans/harden/curry situation?

Doncic woulda hijacked the whole team... and we'd have played hero ball... **** THAT... Joerger woulda let him too... ty vlade!!!

This season was wonderful as is. That sounds awful compared to what we got.

Doncic and Bogdanovic aren't a match at all, they are REDUNDANT... So it's a take one step backwards to hope to take 2 steps forward move, while the Bagley pick is an obvious step forward right away.

PPL honestly dont know what their talking about on this subject.. LMAO.. we're here to play fast, the fastest..... Luka is slow, he's 250lb doughboy, he shot 42% from the field and 32% from 3.. What part of that is so difficult to understand..

We play and BLAZING OTHERWORLDLY SPEED/PACE but u guys want Doncic and 30 year old Vucevic and to pay them 35 mil each LOLOL... Theres a word for that...... oh yes, COUNTERINTUITIVE, thats COUNTERINTUITIVE...

Last edited:
We’re back in “Doncic’s fat” / “Bagley might get good” territory?

Smh, for some reason I thought we were slightly maturing on the subject.

Doncic is an absolute stud.

So is Bagley.

Neither pick was “wrong.” Both picks would have been great. It isn’t only black and white, folks.
It’s the perfect time for this thread with games being over some can’t look foolish when the kid goes for 20-8-8 the next night. Can post in peace

Cmon guys it's pretty clear isn't it ... WCS >>>>> Doncic. The only reason Doncic is even mentioned in the same breath as WCS is because of his skin colour apparently. Can Doncic switch onto the guy in the 5th row and still rotate back to the basket in time to challenge the shot? Cause WCS can. Oh and something about Trae Young

This scenario is going to wind up being something like the 2010 draft. The Jazz took Gordon Hayward at 9 and the Pacers took Paul George at 10. Both great players in their own right but Paul George is just better. Hayward was great for the Jazz but you know almost all their fans wish they would have taken Paul George instead.

This scenario is going to wind up being something like the 2010 draft. The Jazz took Gordon Hayward at 9 and the Pacers took Paul George at 10. Both great players in their own right but Paul George is just better. Hayward was great for the Jazz but you know almost all their fans wish they would have taken Paul George instead.
To put things in perspective I will mention that neither Hayward or George are with their original teams. Something tells me those Fans don't care anymore about those two guys:)

Anyhow Doncic is a Mav and Marvin is a King. Ainge will use the pick in the late lottery most likely and then this all will hopefully never come up again:)

Ryan Holmes PER- 20.75
Dwight Powell PER- 20.45

Chris Paul- 19.7

Don’t forget that scrub Fox at 18.18
So they are all marginally above average efficiency..you're making my point for me. Did the Mavericks not pay pretty much twice as much for Luka as we did for Marvin???? big win for Vlade.. They have been shamefully tanking for how many seasons now while the Kings were going for it --- add that into what they've paid...

Porzingis is way better than Doncic, he's gonna overshadow him if healthy -- and if Porzingis gets hurt again Doncic and the Mavs are screwed.. Meanwhile Bagley is tailor-made for what we're trying to do here, and for our other pieces, and flashed plenty of brilliance indicating massive potential.. MArvin had really good minutes vs some of the top bigs in the planet.. His shooting has really improved too..

Did anyone preseason think it'd be as close as Doncic shooting 32% and Marvin shooting 31% from 3?

So they are all marginally above average efficiency..you're making my point for me. Did the Mavericks not pay pretty much twice as much for Luka as we did for Marvin???? big win for Vlade.. They have been shamefully tanking for how many seasons now while the Kings were going for it --- add that into what they've paid...
The Kings were in a position in the draft where Marvin and Luka cost the same price so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...

Marvin is an awesome basketball player to watch. One day he might be considered the best in the draft. Given current information though, the obvious redraft choice would be to trade the pick to Dallas and draft whichever of JJJ or Bagley fell to 5th.

Just about anybody, other than King’s fans, would take Luka over Bagley right now. That’s okay! I love Marvin and Fox and the aesthetic of basketball the kings play.

I personally believe that Marvin still has the higher ceiling and lower floor. Let’s hope he realizes it!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The bolding, caps, and font size is reminding me of that one guy who used to post here. Just needs underlines and red now.

That is a fairly stunning fact. We see the highlights on ESPN, but not the misses. It would be something if Marvin ends up shooting as good or better than Doncic from 3.
Doncic took a lot of stepback threes, contested threes, last second threes, and a lot of half court heaves at ends of quarter. Marvin threes were feet set open threes. Im not sure the percentages can be compared in a way we seem to be comparing them.

Doncic took a lot of stepback threes, contested threes, last second threes, and a lot of half court heaves at ends of quarter. Marvin threes were feet set open threes. Im not sure the percentages can be compared in a way we seem to be comparing them.
He did but he missed a number of open 3’s also. He has never been a high percentage 3 point shooter yet.

We made a reasonable choice and took Bagley. So far he looks like a winner. Good pick then and now. The other player is on another team. So be it Al(owisious).

He did but he missed a number of open 3’s also. He has never been a high percentage 3 point shooter yet.
he is 19, he has time to be one, but was not making that point, was saying that Marvin's percentage is based on much less threes thatbwere all open and cannot be compared to Lukas apples to apples

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD VOICE: As I fully expected, this thread is now closed. Some of you really need to take a pill or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.