Best shooting guard prospects the Kings should look at

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No kidding.....all this time I thought he was a 4 year college guy.
The majority of the players in the HOF were four year players in college. If I had my way, there wouldn't be any one and done players. By the way, I wouldn't count Stauskas as a bust just yet. He's been playing much better of late, and his rookie year with the Kings he had three different head coaches. Not an ideal situation for a rookie.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The majority of the players in the HOF were four year players in college.
Ah, but when the majority of players in the HOF were in college, there either was no other option to leave early (until the early 70s), or very few took it. For instance, in 1979 there were a total of 4 early entry players (and one HOFer!). That grew until there were 16 early entry players in 1995, but the big jump probably came in 1996, when there were 36 early entry players (Kobe, maybe Iverson, maybe Ray Allen HOFers?). But I'm not sure if there are very many remaining HOF candidates (meaning since the '96 draft or so) that were four-year players. Those numbers may change over time!

But of course you wouldn't want any one-and-dones - if players stayed four years, scouting college would be that much MORE fun!

Count me in on Hield as I get the same gut feeling with him that I had with Curry. He just seems like a special player who could help right away. Lillard type impact.

Looking at the NBA lottery positions, it's a very tight race between #6-11...only two games separates those positions. We could easily end up losing our draft pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ah, but when the majority of players in the HOF were in college, there either was no other option to leave early (until the early 70s), or very few took it. For instance, in 1979 there were a total of 4 early entry players (and one HOFer!). That grew until there were 16 early entry players in 1995, but the big jump probably came in 1996, when there were 36 early entry players (Kobe, maybe Iverson, maybe Ray Allen HOFers?). But I'm not sure if there are very many remaining HOF candidates (meaning since the '96 draft or so) that were four-year players. Those numbers may change over time!

But of course you wouldn't want any one-and-dones - if players stayed four years, scouting college would be that much MORE fun!
Your not implying that I have self interest are you? :rolleyes:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Looking at the NBA lottery positions, it's a very tight race between #6-11...only two games separates those positions. We could easily end up losing our draft pick.
Only two games separate us from the tenth spot, but in order to lose the pick we would have to pass either the Bucks, or the Wizards and were seven games behind them in the loss column. That's not likely! It's not likely that we would be able to jump over that many teams. Not impossible though. Yet!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hield's performance against Villanova was not very good. Got D'ed up and when he had an open look, missed badly. The arena is notorious for poor shooting performances it is said but Nova couldn't miss.

Why aren't many people talking about Hart? He's only considered 91 overall at DX, and he's not even mentioned by Ford.

I haven't brought his name up for this thread, because I don't think he's at play at 7. However, he's an extremely bright high bball IQ player who can defend. He's a 3&D candidate. He does a great job on the boards and plays with a lot of hustle and effort.

I think his floor is good. If he can't get his offense going, at least he'll be able to be a very solid defender at worst.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Only two games separate us from the tenth spot, but in order to lose the pick we would have to pass either the Bucks, or the Wizards and were seven games behind them in the loss column. That's not likely! It's not likely that we would be able to jump over that many teams. Not impossible though. Yet!
Au contraire mon frere!

We're currently in the 7 slot, and slots 8-11 are occupied (in some order) by the Knicks, Nuggets, Magic, and Bucks. We're only two games behind the Magic/Bucks, so with 6 games left we could move into the #11 slot - if we passed ALL of them. We can't catch the Wizards at all, but they're up in the #12/13 slot. #11 is the highest we can finish.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Au contraire mon frere!

We're currently in the 7 slot, and slots 8-11 are occupied (in some order) by the Knicks, Nuggets, Magic, and Bucks. We're only two games behind the Magic/Bucks, so with 6 games left we could move into the #11 slot - if we passed ALL of them. We can't catch the Wizards at all, but they're up in the #12/13 slot. #11 is the highest we can finish.
If we end up #11, we will catch a break and get the ping pong ball for #1, right?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Au contraire mon frere!

Yeah, your right. I forgot to count how many game we have left. Man the games are just flying by. Anyway, I was right, but for the wrong reasons...:eek:

At this stage of the season, that is the worst possible outcome for us. That pick would make it so much easier to maneuver with roster refurbishment this summer.

I highly doubt we will keep the actual pick but it will come into play strongly when we start looking to trade in an established SG.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
At this stage of the season, that is the worst possible outcome for us. That pick would make it so much easier to maneuver with roster refurbishment this summer.

I highly doubt we will keep the actual pick but it will come into play strongly when we start looking to trade in an established SG.
Kings should have two automatic losses versus Portland and Thunder, they haven't matched up well with them even when healthy so I think we are still safe. The Suns, T Wolves games could go either way and the Rockets could win too if Harden goes for 45+ which he might.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

As to whether we keep the pick, trade it, or move down in the draft depends on who is available when we pick. No way to predict that at this point. There are two players that could be available when we choose, that are arguably the best at their position, and play positions of need for the Kings. Hield and Dunn! I think if either is available when we choose, we'll take him. After that, I have no idea what's in Vlade's mind, but I suspect he'll be open to deals. Who knows, he may already have a deal in place if that scenario comes to pass..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kings should have two automatic losses versus Portland and Thunder, they haven't matched up well with them even when healthy so I think we are still safe. The Suns, T Wolves games could go either way and the Rockets could win too if Harden goes for 45+ which he might.
On paper I think your right. Portland is trying to move into the fifth spot, so I expect them to play hard. The Thunder are locked into, if memory serves, the third spot, so it's possible they could rest some players. The Suns are in danger of moving up in the draft, only one game out of the next highest spot, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them roll over. The T Wolves have nothing to lose, so I think they'll show up to play, and could beat us. Houston will bring their best game, and Hardin has been playing very well of late, so no shock if we were to lose that one. The only sure win I see is the Suns. so I think at best we go 2 wins and 3 losses, and at worse we go 1 win and 4 losses.

Of course were dealing with the new Kings of late, and they're very unpredictable.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One issue with Hield that may have teams looking harder at a guy like Murray is his lack of playmaking.

There's his age, his lack of top shelf athleticism and also his less than ideal size for the NBA shooting guard spot. But I think the fact that he doesn't really create for others is just as big a knock on him. I look at CJ McCollum's success (another senior who is undersized as a SG) and I think part of what has allowed him to make an impact this season (other than increased opportunity) is that he can play on or off the ball as a combo guard. Hield doesn't really provide that versatility. He's not a selfish player but he's very much a small SG rather than a PG/SG.

Outside of being a better rebounder, Hield put up stats very similar to what JJ Redick in their junior and senior seasons. I think Hield would adjust to the NBA faster but I think ultimately he'll end up being a Redick type player.

And for the Kings, that would be a nice piece to have.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Denver currently has 4 picks in the top 20 -- their own pick at 10, the Rockets' pick (15), the Blazers' pick (18), and the Grizzlies' pick (20). I doubt they want to draft 4 prospects to develop at once so they're probably looking to trade up or package some of them for a veteran. Depending on what happens above us, if nobody at the top of our list falls to 7 I could see a 2 for 1 deal moving down a few spots to nab some undervalued prospects. I'm keeping an eye on Luwawu updates because I think he's a lot better than his current projection. I also think Skal Labissiere could be an Andre Drummond type of steal if he falls down to 10 or lower. He looked really raw this year at Kentucky, but the skillset and physical attributes are impressive.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Denver currently has 4 picks in the top 20 -- their own pick at 10, the Rockets' pick (15), the Blazers' pick (18), and the Grizzlies' pick (20). I doubt they want to draft 4 prospects to develop at once so they're probably looking to trade up or package some of them for a veteran. Depending on what happens above us, if nobody at the top of our list falls to 7 I could see a 2 for 1 deal moving down a few spots to nab some undervalued prospects. I'm keeping an eye on Luwawu updates because I think he's a lot better than his current projection. I also think Skal Labissiere could be an Andre Drummond type of steal if he falls down to 10 or lower. He looked really raw this year at Kentucky, but the skillset and physical attributes are impressive.
I like Luwawu. I also like Malik Beasley, Wade Baldwin, Dejounte Murray and Ivica Zubic as mid to late first guys. Levert too if he checks out medically.

Labissiere seems like too much of a gamble to me. I wanted Drummond and my logic was that he already had an NBA body. At worst he'd be a JaVale McGee type player - and guys like that are expensive in free agency. If he became more that would be gravy. And of course he's become much more than that.

With Labissiere I don't see a floor of at least being an NBA contributor. His floor is as a guy who doesn't stick in the NBA at all. Both his frame and his game lead to him being a finesse big. He has the talent to be a steal if he ever puts it altogether, but I don't want to be the team that gambles on him. Not unless we end up with more than one 1st rounder on draft night.

If I'm a team like Denver I'd first try to package picks to move up for a guy I really like. Failing that I'd absolutely take a flyer on a guy like Labissiere as well as drafting an international player or two that I feel will stay overseas for at least a season.

Anyone have an update on how the Kings 2 international players are doing? Any word on whether either of them might be ready to join team next season?

I like Luwawu. I also like Malik Beasley, Wade Baldwin, Dejounte Murray and Ivica Zubic as mid to late first guys. Levert too if he checks out medically.

Labissiere seems like too much of a gamble to me. I wanted Drummond and my logic was that he already had an NBA body. At worst he'd be a JaVale McGee type player - and guys like that are expensive in free agency. If he became more that would be gravy. And of course he's become much more than that.

With Labissiere I don't see a floor of at least being an NBA contributor. His floor is as a guy who doesn't stick in the NBA at all. Both his frame and his game lead to him being a finesse big. He has the talent to be a steal if he ever puts it altogether, but I don't want to be the team that gambles on him. Not unless we end up with more than one 1st rounder on draft night.

If I'm a team like Denver I'd first try to package picks to move up for a guy I really like. Failing that I'd absolutely take a flyer on a guy like Labissiere as well as drafting an international player or two that I feel will stay overseas for at least a season.
Drummond also flashed his tremendous potential in college as a rebounder and physical beast. A lot of the questions about him were his motivation to actually play the game of basketball and if he'd be able to develop anything offensively. If teams thought he had his head on straight and was truly dedicated to basketball, he might have challenged Davis for the #1 pick in that draft.

If Skal wasn't such a highly touted recruit out of high school, I'm not even sure he'd be on draft boards right now. The guy is raw as hell and he flat out just looked bad this season. Very few "wow" moments and looks like a guy who needs a ton of work to even be competent at the next level.

One issue with Hield that may have teams looking harder at a guy like Murray is his lack of playmaking.

There's his age, his lack of top shelf athleticism and also his less than ideal size for the NBA shooting guard spot. But I think the fact that he doesn't really create for others is just as big a knock on him. I look at CJ McCollum's success (another senior who is undersized as a SG) and I think part of what has allowed him to make an impact this season (other than increased opportunity) is that he can play on or off the ball as a combo guard. Hield doesn't really provide that versatility. He's not a selfish player but he's very much a small SG rather than a PG/SG.

Outside of being a better rebounder, Hield put up stats very similar to what JJ Redick in their junior and senior seasons. I think Hield would adjust to the NBA faster but I think ultimately he'll end up being a Redick type player.

Meh.

He was basically the Steph Curry of college scoring the ball. And college coaches will ride their horses into the ground if they have a star like Hield. He's far more advanced as a ball-handler and passer than Reddick was coming out of school and probably even right now. I don't see it being much of a transition into being a better facilitator in the NBA when he isn't relied upon to the be one of the highest usage players in the country.

Drummond also flashed his tremendous potential in college as a rebounder and physical beast. A lot of the questions about him were his motivation to actually play the game of basketball and if he'd be able to develop anything offensively. If teams thought he had his head on straight and was truly dedicated to basketball, he might have challenged Davis for the #1 pick in that draft.

If Skal wasn't such a highly touted recruit out of high school, I'm not even sure he'd be on draft boards right now. The guy is raw as hell and he flat out just looked bad this season. Very few "wow" moments and looks like a guy who needs a ton of work to even be competent at the next level.
Skal needs to stay in school.

Anyone have an update on how the Kings 2 international players are doing? Any word on whether either of them might be ready to join team next season?
I've wondered about them. Didn't one or both get injured?
I watched a bit of Arturas Guaditis earlier in the season. He's a 6'10 C who plays inside and can rebound.

I haven't caught up with him recently, but looking at his numbers, it looks like he's been very consistent throughout the year.
Averaging 9.5pts 5.4 rebs on 64.3% shooting and 74.2% FT. He attempts 4.8 shots a game...and attempts 4.41 FTs a game. Good at drawing fouls down low.

Highlight of one of his games in Jan:

Luka Mitrovic suffered a knee injury very early into the season. Before that, he was playing very well as the captain of his team. Mitrovic is a 6'9 220lb stretch 4. In 7 games this year, he averaged 11pts 5.86rebs on 55.6% from the field and 47.1% from 3pt. Recent news about him is that he's already joined the team with practice and training. He was set to play a few games ago, but a minor ankle injury prevented him from his 1st game back.

Guaditis could be a 5-10min guy in the NBA. He reminds me a bit of Cole Aldrich or Mitch McGary.

Mitrovic is a tweener between SF/PF. He could be a very solid rotational player as a stretch 4. He brings nice leadership qualities too.

Guaditis recently signed a 2year contract. Means he has 1 more year left, and another team option, or player option. I'm not sure. It just says 2+1.
Him staying overseas could be good for his development.

Mitrovic extended his contract to the 16/17 season. He seems very content where he is right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay there for a long time. He's happy with the scenario there for him.
Not sure when either will come over, if they do. Guaditis more likely imo, IF the Kings want him to.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think where I might disagree with you is in the athleticism dept. I wouldn't call Hield an elite athlete, but he certainly an above average athlete. In short, I don't think athleticism is an issue. As far as his play making ability, I don't think we'll know what his capabilities are until he's in the NBA. At Oklahoma he was asked to carry the load of being almost the entire offense, and I doubt that included being asked to rack up 5 or 6 assists a game. I grant you that Murray is a better play maker, but Murray has been a PG his entire life until he arrived at Kentucky, where he was asked to move to the SG position. If you want to note lack of athleticism, then it should be noted that Hield is a far better athlete than Mureay. It should be noted that Murray has great difficulty creating his own shot, something Hield is very good at.

Point is, you can make a case for either player depending on what you need from that player. I think Hield is the best pure SG in the draft. Could I live with Murray? Sure, but I'd rather have Hield. What amazes me is that everyone wants to call Hield undersized, but not Murray. According to the Nike measurements, which are always close to being accurate, Murray is 6'5"in shoes while Hield is 6'4.5" in shoes. Were talking a half an inch here. If I wanted to get picky, I would use Kentucky's pro day measurements which had Murray at 6'4.25" in shoes with a 6'6.5" wingspan. As opposed to Hields 6'4.5" height and his 6'8.5" wingspan. Based on those measurements, someone please tell me why Hield is undersized and Murray isn't? Personally, I prefer to wait for the combine to see who is undersized and who isn't.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I saw Kentucky play over twenty times this year, and I only saw one game there Skal stood out. Don't remember the total stats but he had over 20 pts and blocked a ton of shots. By a ton, I think it was around 10 blocks. Unfortunately, that was it. He was a non-entity in every other game. He does have some skills. He has a very nice 15 to 17 foot jumper, and he's an excellent weak side shotblocker. But in man defense under the basket, he's like a twig that gets blown around in the wind. You have a 7'1" player that weighs under 200 pounds. He needs to stay in school.