Best shooting guard prospects the Kings should look at

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's the exact same transition for college players too. Apart from the very elite college teams, the difference in athleticism is negligible, if anything. And international teams are bigger/more professional.

It's definitely an adjustment, don't get me wrong. It's just a vastly overstated one.

I would say Luwawu athletically is similar to someone like Jimmy Butler (who isn't a bad comparison). Very good athlete, but a level below the likes of Lavine in terms of explosiveness.
I would like to jump in on this Luwawu conversation, but since I haven't been able to watch him play more than a couple of times, and most of the film I see is highlight crap, I'm going to go with your opinion, which I value. For my part, I'll comment on those players that I feel I confident about. What I don't want to see the Kings do, if its possible to avoid, is go on a fishing trip and hope they catch a big one. Of course that's easier said than done. There are only a few players that I feel completely confident about, and at the SG position, there's only one, and that's Buddy Hield.

That's not to disparage Murray, Valentine etc. Some of the others will turn out to be better than thought, and some will be disappointments. I'm not a fan of Allen's, and to be honest, it's more of a gut feeling with him than anything else. Take Allen, and put him on Georgia Tech, and how good is he? How much of Allen's rep comes from playing at Duke? Is Allen a better player than Malcolm Brogdom of Virginia? Or is he a result of playing on a team that gets a lot of national press where he's highlighted.

I don't want to be unfair to Allen. He is a talented kid, but I don't think he's in the same ballpark with Hield, Murray and Valentine. I see him as a low first round pick with the possibility of sliding into the second round, and that last part depends on the needs of the teams drafting. For the Kings, I don't see how they can go wrong with Hield, and perhaps, based on your opinion, Luwawu. I'm always a little suspect of European players, but at the same time, there are quite a few very good one's roaming around the NBA. Peja anyone?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think I've already posted a video of Hield in a different thread, but for those that haven't seen it, here are some highlights of who I think is the best SG in college. It's a bit long, but it shows just about every way Hield is capable of scoring.

I think I've already posted a video of Hield in a different thread, but for those that haven't seen it, here are some highlights of who I think is the best SG in college. It's a bit long, but it shows just about every way Hield is capable of scoring.

He didn't do anything to hurt his stock today. He carried the Sooners into the Final Four.

I like what I've seen from Buddy, but it's just so hard to know whether it will translate to the next level. We've seen lots of great shooter/players light it up at the collegiate level, only to flame out in the NBA. We all saw Jimmer do these kinds of things in college and we know how that story turned out. Sure, Hield is bigger and has more all-around skills, but you still never know. He could be the next Miles Simon (hopefully w/o the title cause I'm a UNC fan)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He didn't do anything to hurt his stock today. He carried the Sooners into the Final Four.

I like what I've seen from Buddy, but it's just so hard to know whether it will translate to the next level. We've seen lots of great shooter/players light it up at the collegiate level, only to flame out in the NBA. We all saw Jimmer do these kinds of things in college and we know how that story turned out. Sure, Hield is bigger and has more all-around skills, but you still never know. He could be the next Miles Simon (hopefully w/o the title cause I'm a UNC fan)
Curious question, what's the furthest BYU got in the tournament with Jimmer on the team?

Hield is an NBA 2 guard. Great handle, drives to the hoop, has a nice little drive and step back shot. Then there is his long range game, wow. Seems to defend his position well. What is not to like?

I just hope he lasts until the Kings pick.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Hield is an NBA 2 guard. Great handle, drives to the hoop, has a nice little drive and step back shot. Then there is his long range game, wow. Seems to defend his position well. What is not to like?

I will bet a whole lot of money that Hield isn't available when we draft. One mock draft has him going 3rd and that's a long way from 7th. Damn. Minnesota doesn't want any more youngsters and wants to trade. We'll see.

In the last several drafts only two players have made me very, very happy and they were Cousins and Trill. Hield would make #3.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Like with Trill, we all hoped he would be available because he seemed like the proper fit next to Boogie. Hield seems like the perfect fit here as well but everything will go in the opposite direction and the Kings will have other crops of SG to pick from such as Murray or House.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I will bet a whole lot of money that Hield isn't available when we draft. One mock draft has him going 3rd and that's a long way from 7th. Damn. Minnesota doesn't want any more youngsters and wants to trade. We'll see.
We have nothing to offer Minnesota for that draft pick anyway. Don't say Rudy Gay.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why not? Unless Rudy's recent play is a reflection of the flustercluck in our FO, his disinterest in the game bugs me. I used to like Rudy very much.
Can you blame him for the disinterest? He liked playing for Malone and that was one of the reasons he resigned and then he proceeds to get fired from there. He then gets put at the 4 spot for the whole season under the new coach coming in and now will play for three new head coaches for this team in his short tenure here, if he is even here by next season (unlikely).

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Can you blame him for the disinterest? He liked playing for Malone and that was one of the reasons he resigned and then he proceeds to get fired from there. He then gets put at the 4 spot for the whole season under the new coach coming in and now will play for three new head coaches for this team in his short tenure here, if he is even here by next season (unlikely).
That may be true. If so, I wouldn't trade him. I will leave that up to someone who has a closer view of what is going on.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That may be true. If so, I wouldn't trade him. I will leave that up to someone who has a closer view of what is going on.
One other thing, would the Kings really want to give up a proven scorer in Rudy for a rookie? If they trade Rudy, it's for someone that can produce instantly.

I like Hield as well and he had a really great scoring game. But he again didn't answer a lot of question to his game besides scoring. For example he had 6 Turnovers and 0 Assists. He decided to shoot a nba three with 6 seconds on the clock in the first half while 2 defenders were close to him and his team made was wide open one easy pass away. Of course it didn't matter because he hit that incredible shot, but still the question remains how he will handle not being a first option on a team?
That of course doesn't mean I wouldn't lke him as a pick if Dunn, Brown and Luwawu are already gone. As I said I do like his game, especially his shooting and his finishing.

In the last several drafts only two players have made me very, very happy and they were Cousins and Trill. Hield would make #3.
I'm not sure about that.
ESPN has him 8th, Draftexpress has him 9th and my guess you are referring to nbadraft.net that put him 3rd. I'm not sure where he is going to end up and I think it will have a lot to do with the draft lottery.
Simmons and Ingram are the clear top 2 but after that there are a lot of nice prospects which are hard to choose from along with Hield (Murray, Dunn, Brown, Bender, Ellenson and maybe some team will take their chances with Luwawu) so 3-10 is hard to guess imo.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Hield as well and he had a really great scoring game. But he again didn't answer a lot of question to his game besides scoring. For example he had 6 Turnovers and 0 Assists. He decided to shoot a nba three with 6 seconds on the clock in the first half while 2 defenders were close to him and his team made was wide open one easy pass away. Of course it didn't matter because he hit that incredible shot, but still the question remains how he will handle not being a first option on a team?
That of course doesn't mean I wouldn't lke him as a pick if Dunn, Brown and Luwawu are already gone. As I said I do like his game, especially his shooting and his finishing.
You can take any player, look for negatives, and always find something. I've watched Hield play over twenty times this season, and one thing he's not, is a selfish player. If I had a complaint with him, is that too many times he passes up what is a good shot for him, to try and get his teammates involved. You said it, when he took a 30 foot shot with 6 second left. He knows that him taking that shot has a higher percentage of being successful than anything else he could have done in the remaining 6 seconds.

I think Dunn is a special player, and more often than not, he's the difference between winning and losing for Oklahoma. He's an impact player, and negatives or not, if your not an impact player at the college level, your probably not going to be one at the NBA level. I had doubts about Mclemore. I liked him, but questioned his desire because he used to disappear in games at kansas. I like Jimmer to the extent that he could shoot the ball, but questioned his ability to defend. I thought at the time that his handles were good enough and I was wrong about that one. I had no doubts about Tyreke. I had no doubts about Cousins, and I have no doubts about Hield.

The only doubt I have about him right now is whether he'll be there when we pick. When Oklahoma plays man to man defense, Hield is a good on the ball defender. When they go into their zone, it's hard to tell. But I think he can develop into a good, if not great defender.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure about that.
ESPN has him 8th, Draftexpress has him 9th and my guess you are referring to nbadraft.net that put him 3rd. I'm not sure where he is going to end up and I think it will have a lot to do with the draft lottery.
Simmons and Ingram are the clear top 2 but after that there are a lot of nice prospects which are hard to choose from along with Hield (Murray, Dunn, Brown, Bender, Ellenson and maybe some team will take their chances with Luwawu) so 3-10 is hard to guess imo.
I think NBA Draft has him a bit high and that DraftExpress has him a bit low. He's certainly helped his stock which won't help us unless we get lucky in the lottery, or we make a draft day trade to move up. It will probably come down to the needs of the teams picking ahead of us. I think Dunn is the best PG in the draft and is a top five player. Some teams may have Murray ranked ahead of Hield. A team may already have a good SG and needs a PF or a Center, in which case a player like Poeltl may be taken a little earlier than thought. One thing is for sure, we'll either have to get lucky, or creative to land him.

I think NBA Draft has him a bit high and that DraftExpress has him a bit low. He's certainly helped his stock which won't help us unless we get lucky in the lottery, or we make a draft day trade to move up. It will probably come down to the needs of the teams picking ahead of us. I think Dunn is the best PG in the draft and is a top five player. Some teams may have Murray ranked ahead of Hield. A team may already have a good SG and needs a PF or a Center, in which case a player like Poeltl may be taken a little earlier than thought. One thing is for sure, we'll either have to get lucky, or creative to land him.
Hield is one of those players to me who starts to drop on teams big boards once the pre-draft workouts start happening. Teams will start focusing in on his negatives as opposed to what he actually did on the court. He's a great athlete, but I think he's probably a step below the other guards/wings in that range. He's 22 so his upside is "limited". He's "undersized" for a 2 guard. All of which hopefully leads to teams ahead of us passing on him.

Ingram and Simmons will go 1-2. And depending on how the rest of the order shakes out, New Orleans is really the only team that has an actual need at SG. PHX looks committed to Booker and have Knight and Bledsoe. Minny has Rubio, Lavine and Wiggins who all get/need back-court minutes. Boston is already incredibly strong in the back-court with IT, Smart and Bradley and they need front-court help in the worst way.

It wouldn't surprise me to see guys like Poeltl like you said or Rabb go earlier than they should because of how weak this class is on big men. Like QB's in the NFL, teams will always reach on bigs

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hield is one of those players to me who starts to drop on teams big boards once the pre-draft workouts start happening. Teams will start focusing in on his negatives as opposed to what he actually did on the court. He's a great athlete, but I think he's probably a step below the other guards/wings in that range. He's 22 so his upside is "limited". He's "undersized" for a 2 guard. All of which hopefully leads to teams ahead of us passing on him.

Ingram and Simmons will go 1-2. And depending on how the rest of the order shakes out, New Orleans is really the only team that has an actual need at SG. PHX looks committed to Booker and have Knight and Bledsoe. Minny has Rubio, Lavine and Wiggins who all get/need back-court minutes. Boston is already incredibly strong in the back-court with IT, Smart and Bradley and they need front-court help in the worst way.

It wouldn't surprise me to see guys like Poeltl like you said or Rabb go earlier than they should because of how weak this class is on big men. Like QB's in the NFL, teams will always reach on bigs
First off, let say that I hope your right. And you could be. I did the same thing you did and looked at the teams that were likely to be drafting ahead of us, and it's possible he slides to us. I have no problem with his height. McCollum is 6'3", as is Bradley, and quite a few other highly successful combo guards in the league. Hield has a decent wingspan, which seems to be why the slightly undersized SG's are more successful. Hield is a very good rebounder for a SG, which lends itself toward being fine for the position. But as you say, some teams may hesitate to take him because of not being a need, being a senior, and being a tad undersized when compared to Klay Thompson, who by the way, played SF in college.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hield is definitely undersized (though he does have long arms) and he's a good but not amazing athlete. And he's 22.

I'm fine with all of that. But NBA GMs that get a kid like Marquese Chriss in for a workout and see a bouncy 19 year old who stands 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan and with tons of potential and they end up chasing that instead of a guy who looks like more of a sure thing.

Buddy Hield will get overly scrutinized over things that aren't a big deal. It happens every year.

Assuming Sacramento stays at #7 I think either he or Dunn will likely be there when the Kings pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hield is definitely undersized (though he does have long arms) and he's a good but not amazing athlete. And he's 22.

I'm fine with all of that. But NBA GMs that get a kid like Marquese Chriss in for a workout and see a bouncy 19 year old who stands 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan and with tons of potential and they end up chasing that instead of a guy who looks like more of a sure thing.

Buddy Hield will get overly scrutinized over things that aren't a big deal. It happens every year.

Assuming Sacramento stays at #7 I think either he or Dunn will likely be there when the Kings pick.
I agree that Hield has a good chance of being there, but I doubt that Dunn will. He's the best PG in the draft, and is the type of PG that teams are looking for now, 6'4" with a 6'9" wingspan, good defender, good athlete, good shooter, and more of a pass first PG. If he and Hield are both there, I'd be torn as to who to pick. If we let Rondo walk, I'd have to think long and hard about passing on Dunn.

I just see no way how Hield lasts past the top three. Some team will draft him early, he will not slip past 5 or 6 IMO so the Kings chances of landing him are slim.
Just looking at the top 5-7 teams, none of them have a need for SG except NO.
76ers- no. Lakers- no. Suns- no. Celtics- no. Timberwolves- probably no. Pelicans-yes. Kings are next.

I like Hield, but I doubt anyone is going to take Hield over Ingram and Simmons. Maybe Bender too...I wouldn't be surprised to see Suns or Celtics draft Bender. Suns are in a weird rebuilding phase where they can afford to stash Bender, and they have 2 more 1st round picks. Celtics pretty much have every position filled out, but PF/C remains a big weakness for them. I'm pretty sure they have close to 8 picks in this draft... 3 of them are in the 1st round, with one being the 31st pick.

We really have to see how the lotto balls play out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just looking at the top 5-7 teams, none of them have a need for SG except NO.
76ers- no. Lakers- no. Suns- no. Celtics- no. Timberwolves- probably no. Pelicans-yes. Kings are next.

I like Hield, but I doubt anyone is going to take Hield over Ingram and Simmons. Maybe Bender too...I wouldn't be surprised to see Suns or Celtics draft Bender. Suns are in a weird rebuilding phase where they can afford to stash Bender, and they have 2 more 1st round picks. Celtics pretty much have every position filled out, but PF/C remains a big weakness for them. I'm pretty sure they have close to 8 picks in this draft... 3 of them are in the 1st round, with one being the 31st pick.

We really have to see how the lotto balls play out.
I'm not saying a team is going to take Hield over Ingram or Simmons. After those two are off the board though, I don't see teams passing up on Hield, even if they have no need for a SG. A team can draft him and get the bank for him from a team that has him on their draft board.

I'm not saying a team is going to take Hield over Ingram or Simmons. After those two are off the board though, I don't see teams passing up on Hield, even if they have no need for a SG. A team can draft him and get the bank for him from a team that has him on their draft board.
Yup. BPA as always

dude12

Hall of Famer
There has to be some concern about Hield's age. He's playing against younger competition quite a bit. He's obviously good but just saying that if a 19 year old is also playing at the level of a 23 year old you go with the younger guy who may have more upside. Hield DOES look like he will pan out. Remember Nik Stauskas and how some were duped into thinking he was good, he's a stiff and he had a good senior year, but it should have been plain as day he was not a lottery pick. Hield looks better than that though.