Assessing Giles (January version)

Giles NBA ceiling

• Out of the league in 3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Career end-of-the-bencher

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Giles had 4pts, 5reb and 3ast in 17min which just looks "meh" unless you watched the game and saw the impact he had that didn't show up in the box score.

He had deflections, stood up players on defense, kept the ball moving on offense, didn't force shots, boxed out to allow Bagley and others to rebound and just all around played what I call "winning basketball".

I was really confused with Giles' defense to begin the season. I knew he would foul a lot and have his struggles like most every other rookie has but he went from looking like the quarterback of the defense in summer league to looking like he had never played defense in a basketball game in his life to begin the season. I have no clue what was going on for those first 15 games or so but that player is long gone and the guy with all the defensive potential we saw in summer league is here now. He has massive potential on that side of the ball. If he's getting 30mpg in a couple seasons, don't be surprised if he is among the league leaders in steals. I still think his closest comp is going to be Draymond Green if he puts it all together.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Giles had 4pts, 5reb and 3ast in 17min which just looks "meh" unless you watched the game and saw the impact he had that didn't show up in the box score.

He had deflections, stood up players on defense, kept the ball moving on offense, didn't force shots, boxed out to allow Bagley and others to rebound and just all around played what I call "winning basketball".

I was really confused with Giles' defense to begin the season. I knew he would foul a lot and have his struggles like most every other rookie has but he went from looking like the quarterback of the defense in summer league to looking like he had never played defense in a basketball game in his life to begin the season. I have no clue what was going on for those first 15 games or so but that player is long gone and the guy with all the defensive potential we saw in summer league is here now. He has massive potential on that side of the ball. If he's getting 30mpg in a couple seasons, don't be surprised if he is among the league leaders in steals. I still think his closest comp is going to be Draymond Green if he puts it all together.
That, in a nutshell, is why I argue so vehemently with people who want to judge a player solely on the numbers.

I'm not joking when I say I think he has HOF potential.

HOF potential? Quit drinking. I don’t see anything in his game to believe that one iota.

Watching big men from Russell, Kareem,
The Dream, Ewing, Hayes, Robinson, Duncan, Shaq, Malone, Davis, Cuz, Kat, etc, etc.

If he becomes a good player that would be great. HOF is absolutely hilarious.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
HOF potential? Quit drinking. I don’t see anything in his game to believe that one iota.

The Dream, Ewing, Hayes, Robinson, Duncan, Shaq, Malone, Davis, Cuz, Kat, etc, etc.

HOF is lofty, am while I’m hesitant to go that far I think he has the most potential of anyone on the team. Yes more than Fox. Yes more than Bagley.

His feel for the game after missing so much time with injury is something beyond special that quite frankly isn’t seen very often and the only thing that will potentially hold him back are his knees.

HOF is lofty, am while I’m hesitant to go that far I think he has the most potential of anyone on the team. Yes more than Fox. Yes more than Bagley.

His feel for the game after missing so much time with injury is something beyond special that quite frankly isn’t seen very often and the only thing that will potentially hold him back are his knees.
Makes you think what he would have been had it not been for the injuries. He’s got it all. I agree with you talent wise Giles has the most on the team. He oozes it. In his rookie year halfway through the season and after years of not playing he can direct our entire offense already. We get worse without him out there.

The thing is out of 43 games played, he’s only played 30 and many of those were garbage time minutes. The guy is simply a savant when it comes to learning. He’s a joy to watch even with all his mistakes. If Giles reaches even 80% of his abilities and we still have Fox, Bagley, and 1 of Hield/Bogdan, we are going to be a perennial championship threat.

He was a consensus #1 pick before the injury(ies) and I don't see any lingering physical effects from the injuries. He's the best passing big man in the league right now.

The talent is there. He's 19. We'll see.

He was a consensus #1 pick before the injury(ies) and I don't see any lingering physical effects from the injuries. He's the best passing big man in the league right now.

1 one pick out of high school. Best passing big man in the league. Based on what metric?

A 12 pack of Natural Light and A bong hit.

I like you. But, you’re crazy!

Makes you think what he would have been had it not been for the injuries. He’s got it all. I agree with you talent wise Giles has the most on the team. He oozes it. In his rookie year halfway through the season and after years of not playing he can direct our entire offense already. We get worse without him out there.

The thing is out of 43 games played, he’s only played 30 and many of those were garbage time minutes. The guy is simply a savant when it comes to learning. He’s a joy to watch even with all his mistakes. If Giles reaches even 80% of his abilities and we still have Fox, Bagley, and 1 of Hield/Bogdan, we are going to be a perennial championship threat.

I see perennial playoff team at some point. In order to be Top 4 Elite? I would be very very surprised. This team has no Alpha Dog and not 1 guy that can put the team on his back in crunch time.

I would hope it’s Fox. But time and again I see him taking qtrs off. Tonight is another example. He disappears.

Elite players lead every Elite team in the East and West. Elite players also make all players around him better. Night in and night out. Not every 3rd or 4th game.

Who brings it Every Night?
These are Elite players: Irving, DeRozen, Simmons, Kawhi, Curry, Durant, Jokic,
Harden, Harris, Doncic, Lebron, Davis, Lillard, George, and Westbrook.

All these players have that DNA. They have single handedly led their teams to victories time and time again.

No team ever becomes Elite unless they have a Min of 1 game changer. In most cases, you need 2 perennial All Stars.

That’s a great comp. Everytime I watch him, that’s who I think of but I feel he may be a better scorer than Draymond but not as a good defender as him when he gets into his prime.

Hammer, I know you often like to be borderline-psychotically optimistic, which is fine too, but throwing out comments like this makes you look silly. Know when you're going too far.

Every team can use a player that can fill up the stat sheet.
Harry is a little tentative at times, but who wouldn't be after those injuries.
He plays a little with his head down and crashes in to people a lot. He will figure it out.
I like his game. He has a lot of different skills. Passing and rebounding, and that jump hook.
He seems to be emotionally complicated to me. Joerger is working with that fact and giving him some positive reinforcement.
Harry is going to be the most improved player on the team in the next year. Bagley may be right there with him.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Superstar if his knees hold up. He has that undefinable “IT” that you just don’t see in players. Some of the passes he makes after playing so little competitive basketball the past three years are absurd and not even the most skilled of vets could make.

Obviously a fast learner (just a small difference between early season Giles and current Giles after a few G-League stints, eh?), I think he will continue to rapidly improve and the sky is the limit. Still think his upside is the highest on the entire team. That’s not a slight to Fox or Bags, that’s how highly I think of Giles.

The one thing I’m hoping for the offseason; Hang out with Skal and his body people.

Wilt. I remember watching him carry two players off the court that were fighting. He carried one under each arm.
Big O. Childhood flash back. I was watching the Royals play the Baltimore Bullets. I remember like it was yesterday, a big guy smoking a cigar yells out in a husky voice "Big O git 2 before the lights go out. " That was in about 1962.

Last edited:
To be fair, his ability to score off the court was probably better than his ability to score on the court so it's not all that implausible they're related.
:D Indeed. The crazy thing is he was probably telling the truth too when he said over 10,000. When you actually read Wilt break it all down with numbers it's entirely plausible considering his level of stardom.

I wish there was more video of his playing time, because what he did on a basketball court was unreal.
There are few advantages to being old, but one of them is I got to watch Chamberlain vs. Russell on TV a few times. And a few games against anybody other than Russell where it was pretty clear he could do anything he wanted. It was more a matter of whether or not his shots were falling that night. The night he was making everything -- that was the 100 point game, and I sure wish there was some film of that game.

As far as Giles progress, its.... Mixed... I'm sure he'd say something similar in an honest moment.

He's like a bull in a china shop til proven otherwise.

The potential is undeniable but to warrant minutes in the 20 per game range he MUST be more consistent, I don't think it's unfair of Joerger to squeeze his minutes (but let him run when he's hot) til then.