Are we overlooking Shump as our SF?

We just have to be Careful not to settle. We can bring him back, he would be a hell of a 6th man kind of guy, if we could find a bonafide starter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We just have to be Careful not to settle. We can bring him back, he would be a hell of a 6th man kind of guy, if we could find a bonafide starter.
I, for one, am in no hurry to see him walk. We have a couple of guys at the end of the roster - Z-Bo, Skal, Ben and Yogi - who will be gone one way or the other. Keep Shump and add to the talent. His value is that he's NOT a star. He's a glue guy and every team needs one.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Gotta keep shump no matter what we do at SF. If we get a starter. Im all for pushing mason to end. Let 1-3 minutes go to fox, bogi, buddy, shump, and new guy. Get some 4 spot minutes from time to time with the right matchups. Shump would be fine with 20 min a game to really focus energy on stopping the hot hand. I’m just ready to get this new guy.

Gotta keep shump no matter what we do at SF. If we get a starter. Im all for pushing mason to end. Let 1-3 minutes go to fox, bogi, buddy, shump, and new guy. Get some 4 spot minutes from time to time with the right matchups. Shump would be fine with 20 min a game to really focus energy on stopping the hot hand. I’m just ready to get this new guy.

Listening to Fox gush about him in the postgame interview, it could be a massive mistake not bringing Shump back.
I heard the same from Buddy gushing about Shump on his last interview too.

I think Shump is a real glue guy right now. I think it would be a big mistake to trade him or not re-sign him this summer.

He is our "Doug Christie" defensive stalwart of our new Super Team! :)

I heard the same from Buddy gushing about Shump on his last interview too.

I think Shump is a real glue guy right now. I think it would be a big mistake to trade him or not re-sign him this summer.

He is our "Doug Christie" defensive stalwart of our new Super Team! :)
It's really starting to stand out how important Shump is to this team, and is great to see. Fox wasn't even asked about Shump, just about team chemistry, and FOX is the one who brought Shump up, he's clearly really important to our chemistry and I hope he feels the same, feels wanted here, and I hope he stays and helps us on a championship push.

Just saw this. It may or may not be accurate, and I'm too sleepy to check on it. But it's an eye-opener!
The Kings move to 11-5 when Shump plays more than 22 minutes, and 3-7 when he plays fewer.
Hate when people call stuff like this "stats".

It's not founded in any sort of math. It's box-score hunting to try and find some sort of trend that fits a narrative. Whatever it may be. Like I spent 5 minutes digging this up:

We are 6-8 when Shumpert takes 4 or more 3pt attempts per game.

We hare 6-3 when Shumpert takes 3 or less 3pt attempts per game.

So should we only limit Shump to 3 3's per game? Even though he's hitting them at a near 40% clip?

Really like Shump and he's quickly become the vet leader in the clubhouse. It's obvious the younger guys follow his lead. But I don't think we should overreact to "stats" like this that try and paint him more than he really is; a quality rotational player.

It's not founded in any sort of math. It's box-score hunting to try and find some sort of trend that fits a narrative. Whatever it may be. Like I spent 5 minutes digging this up:

So should we only limit Shump to 3 3's per game? Even though he's hitting them at a near 40% clip?

Really like Shump and he's quickly become the vet leader in the clubhouse. It's obvious the younger guys follow his lead. But I don't think we should overreact to "stats" like this that try and paint him more than he really is; a quality rotational player.
You say it's "not founded in any sort of math." Well that's just not so. It's someone's attempt to find a meaningful trend from math-based stats. And it does bring up something interesting - that Shump (who, btw, averages about 25 min/game) has become rather important to the King's success. And when he doesn't play, they are not nearly as successful.
I don't have a problem with this trend and its assertions, even if it is based on "box-score hunting." To me, it's not trying to claim anything deeper than my take-away.
I do agree that sometimes people manipulate stats to support their narrative. Of course they do; people lie to protect or promote their self interest. I just don't think that's the case here.

dude12

Hall of Famer

It’s a data point and data points are or should be used as a tool. Not the end all but definitely something that can be used.
To the eye test and theory test, Shump handles the best perimeter scorer on the opposing team which moves Hield to the 3rd guy...better for us. Also it keeps Bogi on bench making our bench much stronger.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's really starting to stand out how important Shump is to this team, and is great to see. Fox wasn't even asked about Shump, just about team chemistry, and FOX is the one who brought Shump up, he's clearly really important to our chemistry and I hope he feels the same, feels wanted here, and I hope he stays and helps us on a championship push.
It sure is interesting to see how Fox is handling these post game interviews. He uses it as a forum to get the message he wants to get out, not just answering the questions directed at him. In the prior game he out of the blue starts talking about the yell fest among the teamates and the importance of accountability. In this postgame he talks out of the blue about the importance of Shump in terms of leadership and defense. Fox is a perfect name for the guy - he's as smart as a fox - and he's looking at the big picture of culture on this team.

I'll admit I wasn't a fan of keeping Shump. But he has played very well so far and clearly he's a big part of the locker room. His shot selection still irks me at times, but he's shooting it well and he's having a big impact on the team. We should still be looking for a long term SF, but I'm absolutely on board with keeping him. Can't argue with the other players comments on him. Definitely having an impact on and off the floor.

This was an amazing game by Gabriel-- but his following games were much less impressive and reveal he struggles with consistency and foul trouble. It does not appear he's ready for the NBA.
He probably isn't that's why Williams is getting that burn. Long term though I think he can work.

The trend of him on the floor at the end of games teamed with bogi & Fox puts a smart defensive minded quick guy who can play with the ball in his hands if need be.

This is the player who I envisioned him to be when healthy. He may never need to be a 30 minute a player again but I would love to see the coach getting him some time in those back to backs. If we are able to trade for a reliable sf I really see Shumpert playing every game in a rotation while keeping his minutes down.

We have changed the way the league looks at us right now with our guys having fun and the team playing together.
With our young core that’s not going to change for awhile and I am pretty sure there are a few guys around the league who would love to be part of that the next 5 years or so.

Shump has been so impressive. And ofcourse I love how he plays to the crowd after big plays. He wants to be here, that means I want him here too. I think the fan base is starting to fall in love with the player/character that is Shump!

Shumpert is a good rotational piece to have since you always have to have wings. He is not the greatest defender since hes slowed down a bit but he tries hard, can execute a scheme and do some switching. He is not the greatest shooter but the fact that he isnt afraid to take them makes the defence to respect his shot aka he can create spacing. Hes not a guy that a playoff team should realy on 25+ minutes a game but he could be a nice fourth guy on a sg/sf rotation. Buddy, Bogdan, New SF, Shump.