(3)Kings versus (6)Warriors Pre-Playoff Series Thread

Guess the end result.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see something like this:

It reminds me what this is really all about. The only reason we have the privilege of hosting playoff games in our building is because these guys believed in each other and pushed each other to get us there. Whatever happens I know the Sacramento fans are going to make this playoff series the best party on the planet starting tomorrow night. The real joy in life is never at your destination anyway, it's the journey you take to get there right? However far this journey goes I know I'm going to look back and say that this time... this year, I enjoyed every minute of it. I love this team!
The genuine reaction from Holmes, the guy who has had it the worst since Brown took over, says it all. Everyone might not be 100% happy with their roles but that's a team that's having a good time this year.

The genuine reaction from Holmes, the guy who has had it the worst since Brown took over, says it all. Everyone might not be 100% happy with their roles but that's a team that's having a good time this year.
Like it or not the Coach of the Year award just threw in some additional motivation on the burner. I'm looking forward to watching the 'Kentucky Boys' show up.

I know. I’ve read/heard this same argument a couple times now. That if the Warriors go small, Domas will be in trouble trying to guard someone out on the perimeter. Which is certainly partially true.

However, if that someone is Draymond Green, bring it on.

Sure, Domas might get caught on switches or screen and roll or whatever and end up on Curry, Klay or Poole. But guess what naysayers? The reverse is also true.

When the Warriors go small, who is going to slow Domas in the post? Who is going to battle him for rebounds on both ends??

I’ve said this a million times. I’ll gladly take 65%+ of 2 point FG’s over 38-43% of threes. I’ll win. And get your team in more foul trouble than you’ll get mine.

Domas shot 61.5% from the field this season and 63.9% inside the arc. You consistently guard him with smaller, weaker players logic dictates he’ll shoot a higher percentage than that. So long as the Coach Brown and the KINGS focus on exploiting it.

If Domas shoots 65% plus on two point baskets, that’s 13 points for every 10 shots. That’s not including any fouls or free throws he might get on top of that.

The Warriors would have to shoot at least 43.4% from three in order to outscore the pace Domas sets. They’d have to shoot even better than that if Domas is drawing the occassional foul and/or 3 point ”and 1”.

I’d gladly take my chances with that math.

A popular take is "3 points is better than 2". People hear that and it makes sense from a one-dimensional standpoint. But when you add variables such as volume and percentage -- it's not so clear cut.

I'd take Shaq in his prime shooting 70%+ against smaller, overmatched defenders over any team needing to shoot at least 46.7% from 3 in order to keep pace with that.
NBA offenses are a complex relationship between interdependent variables - not just independent variables. By that I mean Domas' high FG percentage is to some degree dependent on taking the amount of 3 pointers that we do, and vice versa. Our 3pt shooting is dependent on having a deadly option inside. You can't simply eliminate one option and expect to run ball at the same percentage with the other option.

It's the same reason why Fox take threes at the volume he does - even though he's only about a 32% shooter - if forces guys to guard him out there, and hence increases his ability to get to the hole and to the "office" - the short mid range shots.

Still - you make a good case for going inside more frequently. In general I agree. I think we settle for threes a bit too often and especially when we get tired (it's easier to run only 3/4 of the court rather than all the way down and get into your half court offense).

I'm on Team Katie when it comes to this. Touch the paint at least once in a possession - even if you end up taking a three. You'll get a better selection of both inside and outside shots.

LOVE this energy!!! That humble little brother “maybe next year” crap isn’t the energy you come into a series with. If they really think getting us down early is gonna make this team doubt themselves, they’re in for a surprise or several. Hopefully 4 of em.
They're the defending champs, but that's where it ends. They were very underwhelming all year and limped into the playoffs. We won the Pacific div. They're going to have to defend their butts off and play well on the road to have a chance in the series. They will have to flip the switch if that's going to be possible. We'll see.

Still - you make a good case for going inside more frequently. In general I agree. I think we settle for threes a bit too often and especially when we get tired (it's easier to run only 3/4 of the court rather than all the way down and get into your half court offense).

I'm on Team Katie when it comes to this. Touch the paint at least once in a possession - even if you end up taking a three. You'll get a better selection of both inside and outside shots.
To be clear, I’m speaking more so WRT if/when the Warriors go “small”.

Instead of matching them (which is often stupid cause they are better at it than most) I’m suggesting taking your chances with the mismatch on one end because you’re likely to get the better of it on the other end. Especially when Domas is guarded by a much smaller player— even if it’s Draymond.

Everything else you’re saying, I hear you.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think the Warriors going small and trying to outshoot us is exactly what we want to happen. We stand a better chance of grabbing rebounds and limiting second chance points that way. It's been the big bodied aggressive rebounders kicking the ball back out to wide-opened shooters which have given us the most trouble. And also aggressive athletic slashers who we can't check under the basket without fouling. If our shots don't fall it probably doesn't matter what else we do, but if we get into a shoot-out and it's close down the stretch (which I think is what we all expect to happen) I'll gladly take our chances with fourth quarter Fox vs. Steph. I know how good Steph is but in close games it comes down to making sure you get points every time down the floor and our guy is one of the best in the league at doing just that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Brown said he’s going 9-10 deep this series
Sabonis
Barnes
Keegan
Kevin
Fox
Monk
Lyles
Davion
Kessler?

Warriors are probably going to be playing small all series anyways so Trey can probably take the back up 5 minutes/Len can take 5 or so minutes a night.

They're the defending champs, but that's where it ends. They were very underwhelming all year and limped into the playoffs. We won the Pacific div. They're going to have to defend their butts off and play well on the road to have a chance in the series. They will have to flip the switch if that's going to be possible. We'll see.
I think this series will be dicey either way and there's a very fair chance the Warriors are still the championship Warriors.

But the way I see it there's a lot of similarities between this team and both the Lakers and Nets. The Lakers winning the Mickey Mouse ring and the Nets coming one inch from knocking off the Bucks.

But the injuries and the drama started piling up, and even with by and large the same core and roster, the Lakers lost to an upstart PHX team the year after and the Nets got shellacked by Boston, who they had previously beat handily the year the before.

The Warriors have had injury and they have had drama.

Sabonis
Barnes
Keegan
Kevin
Fox
Monk
Lyles
Davion
Kessler?

Warriors are probably going to be playing small all series anyways so Trey can probably take the back up 5 minutes/Len can take 5 or so minutes a night.
I think this would be the point to cut Len to 5 minutes, and also boost Davion and Edward's minutes while cutting Monk and Lyle's a bit. I think Davion needs about 25 and Edwards about 20. Edwards' player archetype is worth his weight in gold in the postseason, though we still need Monk's shotmaking ability so I'd say Lyles is more the odd man out here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sabonis
Barnes
Keegan
Kevin
Fox
Monk
Lyles
Davion
Kessler?

I'd be pretty surprised if Kessler wasn't in the rotation (golly, think we need wing defense against the Warriors?) so those 9 would seem pretty set. Len seems like an odd man out for this series. The 10th man, if Brown goes there, would then be either TD or Metu, and that might depend on the bench lineups the Warriors bring out, or on foul trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.