21/22 Off Season predictions

Team needs a lot of change. Don't have enough trade value to get anything impactful back. It's all going to be reliant on this first round pick and a coaching change. If that coaching change is Gentry, then that's another 2-3 years down the drain. If they're picking so far down in the draft that only rotational players are available, then that's not going to get them anywhere and we'll live through another wasted year in purgatory. It's just not looking very promising right now.

What's worrisome is Vivek thinks the team is on the cusp of something. He always does.

I really hope this season is a showcase to Vivek how much of a revolution we need if we want to be competitive. Other than acquisitions by Monte, I will only retain Fox to be honest. Maybe Barnes if no good offers arrive and Holmes if he doesn't demand more than 12mil a year.

Fire Walton and bring in Monte's guy.

Hope for the best in the lottery and draft a wing.

Oh boy, the offseason plan? Let's take a look at the King's assets.

Tier 1- Swipa- He is our number one asset and could probably return a young player and several first rounders if we decided to trade him. Obviously we have no plan to do so.

Tier 2- Haliburton- Worth more to us than other teams this early in his career but could probably net us a borderline all star if paired with a couple first rounders. Again, we have no intention to do so

Tier 3- our first rounders- a first this year and in 23 paired with some other piece might be enough to upgrade our roster but I don't know who the trade candidates would be and I doubt this is a path we go down.

Tier 4- Bagley- depending on who you ask, he is either worth a highly protected second rounder or is a healthy hand and some playing time away from 20 and 10. I believe it or not think some team would give a late first for him given his potential.

I didn't include Barnes or Buddy as assets because we held off on trading Barnes at his likely highest value and Buddy still has too big of a contract to move imo. He has been playing a lot better lately but I just don't see a team taking on the financial load in exchange for his production.

Holmes is the wild card here. Not many teams have money to spend and center's value is at an all time low but I will be suprised if no team offers him a 3 year 36 million dollar deal. If the offers are less than that I think he will re-sign with the Kings for the 9 and change per year.

We basically have no money to spend on free agents outside of maybe Holmes.

Which brings us to the draft. We traded away our two extra second rounders so that leaves us with one chance to swing for the fences on one of the front court prospects. At least that is what I would do in that round. In the first round we are likely to be picking in the 11-15 range. That is generally not 3rd star territory but you never know. I would be happy coming away with a defensive wing or big.

Unless Tinker Mcnair has something up his sleeve we are likely to bring back a very similar team next year.
Will we improve? If Fox shoots 37 percent from 3 and 78 from the line. If Haliburton continues to hit the 3 at 40% or better, hits his floater and his shots at the rim at a much better rate and improves his defense. If our first rounder or second rounder is a home run or at least a double. If Davis or Woodard or someone becomes a consistent spark plug off the bench. If we get a new coach maybe?

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I think this team is a good coach away from being better than they are given credit for. We are limited in what we can do in free agency so we have to hope we get a player in the draft who can fill a need and contribute right away. That's going to be a tough ask.

I'd like to ship Buddy if we can get a first. Bagley is a lot more complicated but represents a ticking clock. If we could get a 10-20 type pick for him or an unprotected 2022 from a lottery team I'd reluctantly take it - in the case of the former, I'd prefer it happen mid-draft when we know who is on the board and maybe take the form of the team in question picking the player then making the deal.

After making the playin and surprising everyone by winning the nba title? Prob just load up on buyout candidates/ring chasers.
Exactly. I see BronBron taking his talents to Paradise Beach and the Pee Tunnel.

How many rings? "Not 2, not 3, not 4..."

Lottery disappointment, followed by overhyping our draft picks, then enthusiasm for the season, and finally a crushing flood of despair when the infighting tweets start dropping.

They really need to hit big on one of the next 2 draft picks and get an unexpected jump from one of the young 2nd rounders. Now that Fox is on his big contract, they really can't go more than 2-3 years with a rebuild if he is to be the guy.