2022 Free Agent Targets

Damian Jones isnt on the books he's an unrestricted free agent. Queta's been designated as a two-way player. Also Alex Len wasn't much of a shooter last season, he's 29, and only got 1 year left on his deal.

Moses Brown is just 22, and low-risk high-reward IMO. there's only 4 players on the SL roster younger than him, but he isnt a guy who should really even be on a SL team. He's a player who would beast in the paint at all the lesser leagues around the planet.. He's pretty agile too, runs well, I think he's got potential, will certainly keep getting stronger and he's got solid touch around the rim thats why he was a 5-star prospect.
Ah, thought they signed Jones but I got that wrong. All valid points, I don't see the need but I don't feel that strongly about it so I won't mind if he signs on as an end of the bench big then.

Bamba's option was declined. Orlando likely to chase Hartenstein and will probable throw good money at him (would not be surprised if its around $6-10M per). I like hartenstein but not to that much money. Id throw 4-6M at Bamba and tell him he will play significantly minutes. Shot well from the 3 and hit 1.5 3s per game. Blocked 1.7 shots per game. He fills a big need for us, especially if we can use him next to Domas in stretches.

Spurs also traded Murray for 3 FRP and a pick swap. They are likely in full tank mode trying to improve chances at Victor Wembanyama. See if they will take Holmes for Vassel or Keldon Johnson (and filler) and a few seconds.

Kessler Edward is a young wing that would make a ton of sense for the Kings to bring aboard.
I agree here, Nets not making QO so he is UFA

If we are not gonna use BAE on Sasha, and we do not use BAE on one of the Martin twins (prob 4mil not enough for offer sheet)

I think next best cheap Backup SF to use of some of the BAE could be Edwards,
Use some to covert Queta to reg roster, sign two wings from SL to two-way deals (Ellis and a SG Wing)

SF: Barnes, Edwars, Ellis to cover our hole at SF

Currently we need to add some defensive chops on the wings to this team in addition to a tertiary playmaker in the event that Fox or Mitchell get injured. I think Monk and Huerter can help in this second respect (esp huerter) as a playmaker on the second unit (esp if Mitchell has to step into start for Fox d/t injury). So who is still out there for these roles and which players could address both? I think the following players should be our targets in this order. The first 2 may be out of our orice point but im frankly not sure how much cash is available for them currently.

1. Caleb Martin: provides length (6'9" wingspan) and good defense on the wing. Can be a backup 2 or 3 and has good secondary playmaker ability if he shares the court with another backup ball handler (Mitchell, monk, huerter). Good shot too.

2. Collin Sexton: Fits very well next to Fox in the starting lineup being a reliable shooter and ball handler. Heard an interesting take which is you improve your roster by making moves which push current personnel down the depth chart. Despite Monk and Huerter's presence, both would be pushed down the SG depth chart (and in Huerter's case, probably over to backup SF) with his presence. He is an ok defender though and may not be willing to take the $4M BAE. Can step into the primary playmaking role if needed without any issues or changes to the system.

3. Yuta Watanabe: young and affordable, good length to defend (6'9", 6'10" wingspan) and is actually a pretty reasonable defender. Has never really gotten much opportunity to play but has a ok 3pt shot. Not a good playmaker but a good 3rd SF to have on the team.

4. Dennis Schroeder: unlikely to play for BAE and may have a bad attitude about it if he does capitulate to it. Very good defender and playmaker when engaged. Just a meh shooter, but if paired with Monk or Huerter, can hid their defensive flaws and take advantage of their elite catch/shooting capabilities. Would be a good add if he comes with a good attitude and willing to accept a 3rd level position. 6'1" (generously), but with a 6'8" wingspan allows him to defend some wings (probably not the 3s though).

5. Rondo: Old Dennis Schroder with less offensive capabilities BUT if he is willing to play the 3rd tier DNP getting player coach, this would be an ideal spot for him to be. Can provide good defense and playmaking and with shooters lime monk and Huerter, would not be expected to carry significant offensive load if his number does end up being called.

6. Tony Snell : provides zero playmaking but is a solid defender for depth. Is an ok 3pt shooter at ~35%. Has Justin Holiday 2.0.written all over him but is likely affordable.

7. Austin Rivers: average overall shooting, playmaking and defense, but a good depth guy. Good locker room vet who has been with many winning teams.

In my opinion there is a dark horse we have not considered in a few months but many of us were happy to see his workouts a few months ago and should be a dark horse for pickup who can be a wing defender, ok shooter, and even step in as your 3rd deep bench PG and could probably be had for a vet minimum... Tyreke Evans. Made dumb decisions life wise, but i think we all mostly rooted for him here (on court and in life). Always liked the guy and his potential. Could be brought back for cheap on a prove it contract and would give you good back up minutes at the 3 if necessary or even step into a backup PG role if necessary d/t injuries. Good defender, playmaker, ok shooter.

Played only 2 games with the Wisconsin Heard last year before being waved d/t bad ankle sprain (yes i get the irony). But his in his 1 full game (26min) he out up 16/5/3. 2nd game only played 3 min before rolling his ankle.

Caleb Yes but not if it costs us Sasha
Watanabe Maybe if not too expensive

If Monte signs Sasha this week using the BAE none of the above FA targets would get signed this week
Monte would then wait until tail end of FA to sign one or two
of FA leftovers at min deals

Last edited:
Sexton was hoping for $20MM per year and you are suggesting the BAE?
No, im no suggesting he will take it, im saying he is probably the second best fit for us, but specifically wrote he probably wouldn't take the BAE. BUT he will not get 20M from anyone. There are 3 teams that have over $20M in cap space (Detroit, San Antonio, and IND). None of those teams will take Sexton until they make a move on Ayton. Detroit just draftes Ivey so no way they give him $20. Spurs are trying to dive to the bottom. No way they give him anything likely. IND may be an option if they dont have anyone else to spend it on. There are a few which may be able to give him MLE though.