2022 Free Agent Targets

Preston was the late riser kid right with no D1 offers? How's his development this year?
Hurt early, so this upcoming year will be his first year in the league. Foot surgery, expected to be ready. He’s a funky player. Currently a soft throwing lefty type, who gets outs with his brain, but has the physical build and just enough athleticism to be a lot more.

“The Clippers have high hopes for [Preston] with preternatural anticipation and passing. Yet how many opportunities the young player will have to make mistakes is difficult to predict with the team expected to pursue a point guard while transitioning into a title-or-bust pursuit.

The Clippers have no shortage of contracts they can send out in a trade, but Marcus Morris is the only one that stands out as expendable, at least for the sake of more help at the point guard position. Morris is under contract for $16.3 million next season and $17.1 million the following season, so finding a start-caliber point guard with a similar salary won’t be hard. What might prove to be difficult is finding a trade parter if they’re unwilling to include assets in addition to Morris.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/clippers-expected-to-pursue-point-guard-in-offseason/ar-AAWq3AL

Morris and Barnes would not be the worst SF/PF pairing next to Sabonis at C and hopefully a new PG next season. Hmm the Clippers need a PG.......I wonder what other goodies they can offer for Fox.

Morris and Barnes would not be the worst SF/PF pairing next to Sabonis at C and hopefully a new PG next season. Hmm the Clippers need a PG.......I wonder what other goodies they can offer for Fox.
Unfortunately, not much. If they want a plug and play point guard, who should be gettable, they should look at Jalen Brunson.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Unfortunately, not much. If they want a plug and play point guard, who should be gettable, they should look at Jalen Brunson.
Their issue is that they’ve locked all their money into Kawhi and PG, who they obviously wouldn’t be moving for a deal. I guess they could try a sign-and-trade for Brunson and send Kennard and/or Morris and/or Norm Powell to Dallas to free up the space they need/entice the Mavs into cooperating but I’m not sure how appealing that’d be to the Mavs, who already have their own versions of all of those guys in THJ, DFS, and Dinwiddie.

I know you're eager to move Fox (shortsighted, but whatever), but I see no reason why we would want to make the Clippers better, especially if they're one of the teams we're looking to leapfrog this upcoming season. I think anyone we're looking to make some moves with will be either in the East or someone out of our reach in the west.

Their issue is that they’ve locked all their money into Kawhi and PG, who they obviously wouldn’t be moving for a deal. I guess they could try a sign-and-trade for Brunson and send Kennard and/or Morris and/or Norm Powell to Dallas to free up the space they need/entice the Mavs into cooperating but I’m not sure how appealing that’d be to the Mavs, who already have their own versions of all of those guys in THJ, DFS, and Dinwiddie.
Yea, Dallas likely says no, but Brunson is gettable. If they're creative.

There are two players (within reason) I want on this roster next year more than any others: Isaiah Hartenstein + Keegan Murray. With Keegan Murray it’s looking like we’ll need a bump on lottery night but I love his COMPLETE game. Late growth spurt dude and late to the game in general, still has a lot of raw potential for his age with quite a bit of polish already there. Fits the McNair mold of ‘ready to contribute’ and hearing him interviewed (sharp,humble, sincere) only increases my confidence in him. I’d take him #1. Hartenstein is the REAL DEAL. This guy has a willfulness that can be felt thru the screen when he’s playing and it’s backed up by the numbers/results. Our team has a strong pothead vibe and his energy (controlled chaos/reckless ballerina) is sorely needed. Also, what front office drafted him again — Monte McNair’s Rockets. Hopefully the relationship is solid.
One more move I’d like to see made is a deal with Charlotte:
tradenba-snap-1650596673050.png It’s definitely a gamble but one I think worth taking. Charlotte needs some vets. Richaun pick-n-roll with Lamelo would be nice and Harrison (UNC brotherhood) could provide a lot of what Hayward does but more stability. He’s an Ironman and I think that looks good to them right now. Richaun doesn’t work on this team and we need to get some value from Barnes. The dude is a great human but his robotic style of play drives me crazy. Dudes got ZERO artistry to his game and can’t block a shot for crap. Dependable but predictable.exploitable. I like a lot of wings possibly there at 15: Jeremy Sochan, Kendall Brown, Ej Liddel, Ousmane Dieng , Patrick Baldwin. Could replace Hayward after his contract is up.

There are two players (within reason) I want on this roster next year more than any others: Isaiah Hartenstein + Keegan Murray. With Keegan Murray it’s looking like we’ll need a bump on lottery night but I love his COMPLETE game. Late growth spurt dude and late to the game in general, still has a lot of raw potential for his age with quite a bit of polish already there. Fits the McNair mold of ‘ready to contribute’ and hearing him interviewed (sharp,humble, sincere) only increases my confidence in him. I’d take him #1. Hartenstein is the REAL DEAL. This guy has a willfulness that can be felt thru the screen when he’s playing and it’s backed up by the numbers/results. Our team has a strong pothead vibe and his energy (controlled chaos/reckless ballerina) is sorely needed. Also, what front office drafted him again — Monte McNair’s Rockets. Hopefully the relationship is solid.
View attachment 11036 It’s definitely a gamble but one I think worth taking. Charlotte needs some vets. Richaun pick-n-roll with Lamelo would be nice and Harrison (UNC brotherhood) could provide a lot of what Hayward does but more stability. He’s an Ironman and I think that looks good to them right now. Richaun doesn’t work on this team and we need to get some value from Barnes. The dude is a great human but his robotic style of play drives me crazy. Dudes got ZERO artistry to his game and can’t block a shot for crap. Dependable but predictable.exploitable. I like a lot of wings possibly there at 15: Jeremy Sochan, Kendall Brown, Ej Liddel, Ousmane Dieng , Patrick Baldwin. Could replace Hayward after his contract is up.
Hartenstein #1 target. This guy is speaking my language

View attachment 11036 It’s definitely a gamble but one I think worth taking. Charlotte needs some vets. Richaun pick-n-roll with Lamelo would be nice and Harrison (UNC brotherhood) could provide a lot of what Hayward does but more stability. He’s an Ironman and I think that looks good to them right now. Richaun doesn’t work on this team and we need to get some value from Barnes. The dude is a great human but his robotic style of play drives me crazy. Dudes got ZERO artistry to his game and can’t block a shot for crap. Dependable but predictable.exploitable. I like a lot of wings possibly there at 15: Jeremy Sochan, Kendall Brown, Ej Liddel, Ousmane Dieng , Patrick Baldwin. Could replace Hayward after his contract is up.
I mean I like Harrison, great guy glue type but not sure how much he improves this team. He should be part of a solid three here … maybe just not a decent sample size yet with Fox and Sabonis.
I like the thought you’ve put into this, Murray and Hartenstein sounds good as does a mid 1st.

I thought this deal was interesting for us (similar to yours):

Harrison Barnes
Richaun Holmes
Davion Mitchell
Mo Harkless
Terence Davis
Alex Len

for

Gordon Hayward
Terry Rozier
PJ Washington

Why for CHA? Barnes gives them a solid, interim replacement for Hayward & Washington who can play both SF & PF, play adequate defense, space the floor, and provide some secondary scoring. Holmes gives them a much needed upgrade at C on a cost controlled contract. Mitchell projects as a great long term complement to Ball in the backcourt with the ability to defend opposing PGs at an elite level and his shot improved throughout the year. Most importantly though, this trade clears the way to land a max FA in the 2023 offseason while still having Mitchell, Ball, Bouknight, Bridges, Thor, Jones, Holmes, & 2023 CHA 1st on the roster while still putting a solid/competitive team on the floor for the 2022-23 season.

PG - Mitchell / Bouknight
SG - Ball / Davis
SF - Barnes / Oubre / Harkless
PF - Bridges / McDaniels / Jones / Thor
C - Holmes / Plumlee / Len / Richards
Picks - #13 / #41 / #44

Why for SAC? The Kings take on more long term salary in hopes this catapults them into the playoffs. Hayward gives them a replacement to Barnes who has an extra year on his contract (aligning with Sabonis) but gives them more secondary playmaking. Rozier would likely be placed in a 30+ min 6th man role giving the Kings a tight 3 man backcourt of Fox-DiVincenzo-Rozier. Rozier's scoring ability would give the Kings a great go-to option when Fox has to take a breather and he can share the court with Fox consider he can space the floor at a high level. Washington is theoretically an ideal fit next to Sabonis with his size/length, ability to defend PFs, ability to protect the rim, & ability to space the floor (his passing is underrated as well). Lastly, they get a mid-1st to add some more cheap, young talent since a lot of their payroll will be going towards Fox, Hayward, Rozier, Sabonis, & DiVincenzo.

PG - Fox / Rozier
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - Hayward / Holiday
PF - Washington / Lyles / Metu
C - Sabonis
Picks - #7 / #15 / #37 / #48

Harrison Barnes
Richaun Holmes
Davion Mitchell
Mo Harkless
Terence Davis
Alex Len

for

Gordon Hayward
Terry Rozier
PJ Washington

Why for CHA? Barnes gives them a solid, interim replacement for Hayward & Washington who can play both SF & PF, play adequate defense, space the floor, and provide some secondary scoring. Holmes gives them a much needed upgrade at C on a cost controlled contract. Mitchell projects as a great long term complement to Ball in the backcourt with the ability to defend opposing PGs at an elite level and his shot improved throughout the year. Most importantly though, this trade clears the way to land a max FA in the 2023 offseason while still having Mitchell, Ball, Bouknight, Bridges, Thor, Jones, Holmes, & 2023 CHA 1st on the roster while still putting a solid/competitive team on the floor for the 2022-23 season.

SG - Ball / Davis
Picks - #13 / #41 / #44

Why for SAC? The Kings take on more long term salary in hopes this catapults them into the playoffs. Hayward gives them a replacement to Barnes who has an extra year on his contract (aligning with Sabonis) but gives them more secondary playmaking. Rozier would likely be placed in a 30+ min 6th man role giving the Kings a tight 3 man backcourt of Fox-DiVincenzo-Rozier. Rozier's scoring ability would give the Kings a great go-to option when Fox has to take a breather and he can share the court with Fox consider he can space the floor at a high level. Washington is theoretically an ideal fit next to Sabonis with his size/length, ability to defend PFs, ability to protect the rim, & ability to space the floor (his passing is underrated as well). Lastly, they get a mid-1st to add some more cheap, young talent since a lot of their payroll will be going towards Fox, Hayward, Rozier, Sabonis, & DiVincenzo.

PG - Fox / Rozier
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - Hayward / Holiday
C - Sabonis
Sending out 6 players is highly unlikely and way too complicated, can’t you take Rozier out and perhaps the pick or PJ and simplify the deal?

Sending out 6 players is highly unlikely and way too complicated, can’t you take Rozier out and perhaps the pick or PJ and simplify the deal?
Why is it complicated? I think the deal is pretty straightforward to grasp. The allure for the Hornets is getting off of both Hayward and Rozier’s deal and avoiding have to pay Washington giving them a lot of cap space in 2023 ($50+ mil) while still having Mitchell, Ball, Bouknight, Bridges, Thor, Jones, Holmes, #13, & 2023 CHA 1st on the books. If you take out Rozier from the deal, that’s an extra ~$24 mil on their payroll.

Besides, 5 of the 6 players we are sending out are bench players. It’s not like we’re swapping out our entire starting lineup resulting in chemistry issues.

Harrison Barnes
Richaun Holmes
Davion Mitchell
Mo Harkless
Terence Davis
Alex Len

for

Gordon Hayward
Terry Rozier
PJ Washington

SG - Ball / Davis
Picks - #13 / #41 / #44

PG - Fox / Rozier
SG - DiVincenzo
SF - Hayward / Holiday
C - Sabonis
I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me. A win-now move for sure with a tight window although PJ and the pick would hedge it nicely. There is fairly equal value in this trade although I probably value Mitchell and Davis more than you and probably more than most. Tough to give up two young guards that play both sides of the ball but getting off Holmes, Harkless, and Len is very appealing while keeping our pick. Real talk tho, no matter what the return is it’s pretty hard for a GM to say: I just traded for six players from the SACRAMENTO KINGS! There is just too much stank on that, even for Kupchak.

This Nets situation is VERY intriguing and I’m getting way ahead here being that Simmons hasn’t even stepped on the court but is there a CHANCE we can get him this off-season? Kyrie has a player option and I’m sure the drama will follow wherever he goes but my gut says he leaves town. Fox in Brooklyn? Does Monte have the balls to make a move for Simmons? I think so and hope so. I fell in love with the proposition of splitting from Fox for Simmons and haven’t let it go.

John Collins just put up 7pts and 2 reb (-21) in a playoff elimination game. Not impressive at all. Seems like his game regressed this year. Keep looking elsewhere

In a fantasy world with no salary cap, Monk and Portis would be my two signings to fill our SG/PF holes. Monk either starting with Fox, or, preferably, as 6th man off the bench. In that scenario, DDV would be starting (restricted to catch and shoot threes :D). Portis could help space at the PF position and provide some defense alongside Sabonis.

Not too sure on our cap situation this summer as I haven’t looked into it too much yet, but I hope something like this is realistic.

Good stuff from Brenden here on how DDV resigning (at a reasonable contract of course) should be a no-brainer. Lot of good attributes that the Kings lack and I think we can see more of his off-ball movement in effect with Sabonis too.
I also think Mitchell deserves a chance to compete for the starting job. A good problem to have if we have a couple guys vying for the two spot.

Otto Porter is a free agent and already familiar with Mike Brown.
I feel he will just be Aaron Afflalo 2.0 when if he comes to the kings. With the warriors he had clear expectations. Here he will be asked to do more which he has never proven able to do even when he was younger. Unless its on a very cheap contract, id pass for a swing at one or both martin twins who are solid shooters, ball handlers, and defenders and probably cheaper.

I feel he will just be Aaron Afflalo 2.0 when if he comes to the kings. With the warriors he had clear expectations. Here he will be asked to do more which he has never proven able to do even when he was younger. Unless its on a very cheap contract, id pass for a swing at one or both martin twins who are solid shooters, ball handlers, and defenders and probably cheaper.
Both Martin twins would be a sneaky amazing haul. They've been just behind Hartenstein on my "want" list. I'm sure they'd like to play with each other, the Kings have a giant need on the wing and both guys are just freaking good; Caleb is the more versatile defender with 2-4 flex ability while Cody is more a secondary creator that can actually run point and defend 1-3. Would love the fit with the Sabonis passing and take advantage of their intelligence. And both guys have spiked a 3-ball this year, which just opens up so many possibilities.

I think the plan would be work a S&T for Cody involving Holmes and then you can just use cap space on Caleb since he's a UFA on the mega-cap Heat team. What's nice too is they're both 26 and have been ascending players essentially every year they've been in the league. They're heading into their prime as opposed to the usual dusty vets who come here on the downslope. Not that I think they have a ton of untapped upside or anything, but I'd be pretty confident in getting great role player contributions the extent their contracts.

Hartenstein-Martin twins-DDV resigns with a (hopefully) strong wing-3/4 prospect to develop. Would be a home-run off-season.

Hartenstein-Martin twins-DDV resigns with a (hopefully) strong wing-3/4 prospect to develop. Would be a home-run off-season.
I’m not against this at all. But if this was our off-season. It would mean our front office believes fox and domas is enough to get to the next level and we just need good role players to fill in. Other options would be to use richaun + assets to get a bigger star or near all star like John Collins to get our own “big 3”. I don’t know which route is the right one but just thinking out loud.

I’m not against this at all. But if this was our off-season. It would mean our front office believes fox and domas is enough to get to the next level and we just need good role players to fill in. Other options would be to use richaun + assets to get a bigger star or near all star like John Collins to get our own “big 3”. I don’t know which route is the right one but just thinking out loud.
I think the playoffs could potentially be a possibility if McNair was able to get Hartenstein and the Martin twins. That would be a pretty big roster change up. If he just acquires one of those players and we roll into the season with basically the same roster, we're likely to get the same old results.

Another option if it's available would be trading back with Atlanta to the 13th and 16th picks. Maybe land 2 of Eason/Sochan/Duren. All the defense you could ever want. Could take a year or two to see changes though.

Either way a tweak isn't going to cut it. I think trying to build our team Memphis style could be the easiest way to success for this franchise. They've got Morant, JJJ and a bunch of guys that do the dirty work. The Kings need those guys. They've got Davion and DDV but they need more of them. If they could add say a Hartenstein and one Martin + Atlanta's picks and get two more guys in that mold....they could easily be Memphis 2.0 in a couple years.

I think the playoffs could potentially be a possibility if McNair was able to get Hartenstein and the Martin twins. That would be a pretty big roster change up. If he just acquires one of those players and we roll into the season with basically the same roster, we're likely to get the same old results.

Another option if it's available would be trading back with Atlanta to the 13th and 16th picks. Maybe land 2 of Eason/Sochan/Duren. All the defense you could ever want. Could take a year or two to see changes though.

Either way a tweak isn't going to cut it. I think trying to build our team Memphis style could be the easiest way to success for this franchise. They've got Morant, JJJ and a bunch of guys that do the dirty work. The Kings need those guys. They've got Davion and DDV but they need more of them. If they could add say a Hartenstein and one Martin + Atlanta's picks and get two more guys in that mold....they could easily be Memphis 2.0 in a couple years.
The difference between guaranteed playoffs or not is not those level of players and the improvement has to be internal. Be conservative and see what things look like at the deadline. Here's the thing, Monte can't risk those types of signings being the difference between having max money next offseason or not. Especially when you consider the potential to possibly rebuild. If the Kings suck next season then there's not a move available that's going to get them to where they want to be anyway. That cap space could mean a great set up for a rebuild by taking on contracts and picks. Moving Holmes for expirings would help but even so, Monte is going to have a good lottery pick level talent no matter what the draft order looks like unless he blows the selection, a two star setup, and a bunch of money coming up. Unless they're one year deals (then fine) signing Donte back and adding those players means they have to likely lose Barnes just to create space and that's not worth it. He needs to see what they have, gets as many minutes for Davion as they can, and forge ahead. No more stacking 4-5 deep at any spot and watching players sit and lose value. The draft is still the decider IMO, if they draft a SG then finding minutes for a lotto pick, Davion, Fox, Donte, and TD just isn't reasonable. Somebody is going to get the short end of the stick and play like 10 MPG max.