2022 Free Agent Targets

I won't dispute this but Monte's "value" players have all been at or around the league minimum.

Vlade signed guys to "wow, I can't believe the Kings signed them for so cheap" - which could also mean, nobody else wanted them at any price.

At least if the latter is true, the price is nil. I do think Monte needs to spend a little this offseason. But nailing the coach and the pick and resolving the Holmes situation are far more important.
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. It also meant Vlade signed a bunch of players that conflicted with who he had already so no matter how "cheap" we know that it can become an issue later on. Hence why if you aren't just in the process of acquiring assets or talent then fit isn't everything, it's the only thing. So far, the "value" guy people were wanting without much thought was Bogdan and Monte never even tried because he was smart enough to realize the catastrophe rotation wise it would have been. Well, that kind of explains Donte's situation right now. If Monte goes all in on trades then he doesn't have to really worry about the cap since he can actually shape his team with some level of guarantee. That might end up the best option possible considering max space does usually end up with fall back plans. That was Vlades issue. He went for gold (Lavine types) and settled for role guys who kind of got in the way of one another (Dedmon/Holmes types). Monte just can't afford to add 10 million here, keeping 11 million there, drafting a higher lotto pick at 7-8 million there, and another to follow if these chess moves are actually what they kind of look like. It's set up to be them coming into a summer with a max slot, Fox/Davion/Sabonis/this years pick/that years pick/and rights on Barnes. That's the textbook of how you do it right there. And again, we've seen what problems can arise even having one extra Jason Thompson on the cap sheet.

What do you guys think of mo bamba as a shot blocking big that can hit the 3? Also agewise is in line with fox/domas
It will be same situation when Sabonis and Turner was paired together. Sabonis needs someone who has mobility to guard the PF spot, Block shots and is 3pt threat to really complement him. I wonder if Christian Wood may complement him better.

It will be same situation when Sabonis and Turner was paired together. Sabonis needs someone who has mobility to guard the PF spot, Block shots and is 3pt threat to really complement him. I wonder if Christian Wood may complement him better.
Wood can't play defense of any kind.

Keegan Murray is probably the draft pick that best fits that description outside the top 4.

So, like a Myles Turner type?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
As of now? Targets with the MLE or that level of salary should be NONE. Deals longer than 1 season without a team option should be NONE. Either make a trade for a star, or take the lotto pick and run. Then do whatever you can to dump the Holmes contract. Then be conservative. Don't be stuffing the cap with MLE role players that aren't the difference between the PO's or not. Been there, done that. The single time Vlade held onto the space he got Barnes practically for free at the deadline. Then re-evaluate mid season. You'll know by then if there's hope. They'd have their next pick, Davion, the last lotto player, and plenty of expiring dollars at that point to make a big deal should one come up. If next season looks like a bust then Monte is half way to a rebuild already. You start fielding offers for Fox/Sabonis. The next summer cap space can then be used to take on future picks and bad deals.
This is a pretty good summary of how I see our cap situation. If there were a big name worth signing this off-season we could try and trade Barnes and Holmes to create cap space but I don't see that player out there. Miles Bridges comes closest to a guy I would consider overpaying for but he's not an elite shooter or defender and he's restricted so that doesn't make a lot of sense. As it is we're already set up well for the 2023 FA class, which also isn't great but hanging onto the cap space would give us a lot more options. The 2024 class is the one worth saving for but maybe deals open up during the 2023 season for some of these big name players with expiring contracts. In the meantime, continuing to draft well and filling in holes in the rotation around our young guards and bigs is how we're going to have to make the playoffs.

What do you guys think of mo bamba as a shot blocking big that can hit the 3? Also agewise is in line with fox/domas
Big Bamba fan, but it'd basically just be Turner redux? If you could get him without giving up a major asset, absolutely just take the talent swing. But I'd take Hartenstein who I think is better, going to come cheaper, and isn't a RFA.

How do we snag OG from the Raps? Siakam returned to his all NBA self and Barnes is the future, do they really want to start Pascal at the 5? Or would they be better off with:

Fred
GTJ
Barnes
Siakam
Holmes

how about Holmes, 7 and whatever else they need.

He is signed for 2 more years and then would be in line for a big payday. Currently on a 4 year 70 mil deal

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
How do we snag OG from the Raps? Siakam returned to his all NBA self and Barnes is the future, do they really want to start Pascal at the 5? Or would they be better off with:

Fred
GTJ
Barnes
Siakam
Holmes

He is signed for 2 more years and then would be in line for a big payday. Currently on a 4 year 70 mil deal
Barnes is only signed for one more year though and he's a lot older so he's not much of a replacement for OG. And I think Toronto still sees Anunoby as part of their core. He's one of the guys who will be at the top of my list of targets in 2024 though. The Raptors are going to have to start making tough choices on who to retain eventually so he might shake loose during the 2023 off-season or the following trade deadline if it looks like he'll be out of their price range.

Fox/Barnes/Sabonis/Mitchell plus this year's lotto pick and a supporting cast that includes Queta/Lyles/Metu/Davis/Holmes (with or without free agents to be D. Jones and DDV) needs to be enough to get us to the playoffs. If it is and we can add another rotation player with our first round pick next year we'll be positioned well to make a big splash in free agency in 2024 on an elite two-way wing to push us over the top into a legit contender. Maybe Monte has a different plan but that's how I see this working out. Unless we get lucky our best hope is to be first round fodder next season followed by a respectable showing in the 2024 playoffs to propel us into a big free agency year (when we'll also need to convince Sabonis to stay but can go over the cap to keep him).

Last edited:
Barnes is only signed for one more year though and he's a lot older so he's not much of a replacement for OG. And I think Toronto still sees Anunoby as part of their core. He's one of the guys who will be at the top of my list of targets in 2024 though. The Raptors are going to have to start making tough choices on who to retain eventually so he might shake loose during the 2023 off-season or the following trade deadline if it looks like he'll be out of their price range.

Fox/Barnes/Sabonis/Mitchell plus this year's lotto pick and a supporting cast that includes Queta/Lyles/Metu/Davis/Holmes (with or without free agents to be D. Jones and DDV) needs to be enough to get us to the playoffs. If it is and we can add another rotation player with our first round pick next year we'll be positioned well to make a big splash in free agency in 2024 on an elite two-way wing to push us over the top into a legit contender. Maybe Monte has a different plan but that's how I see this working out. Unless we get lucky our best hope is to be first round fodder next season followed by a respectable showing in the 2024 playoffs to propel us into a big free agency year.
I was saying Scottie Barnes. This year they have often started Pascal at the 5, Barnes at the four and OG at the 3 but i wonder if they will want to start an actual center at some point. Before this season, Siakam appeared to be the odd man out but then he went Super Nova.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I was saying Scottie Barnes. This year they have often started Pascal at the 5, Barnes at the four and OG at the 3 but i wonder if they will want to start an actual center at some point. Before this season, Siakam appeared to be the odd man out but then he went Super Nova.
Ah, right. I skimmed the top part and started writing without fully processing your trade proposal. I did read Holmes' name but then I saw Barnes listed in the lineup and confused myself. The salaries don't match in a one to one swap of OG for Holmes though (as they would in a Harrison Barnes for OG swap) and giving up this year's pick would be a mistake in my opinion. Anunoby would help us but not enough to throw in a lottery pick for a 2 year rental. Obviously the hope would be that he sticks around longer but we could instead keep the pick, try to move one or two of our big guys for a backup SF in a different deal that doesn't cost us any picks, and then target OG or someone similar when thy hit free agency.

We're not going to fix all of our problems at once, If we trade assets for a veteran like OG right now we're putting even more pressure on ourselves to win now or else while also cutting into our depth by giving up another cost-controlled young player. Why not use these next two years to keep developing our young talent and adding key pieces through the draft so that when we do make a splash in free agency we're ready to maximize all 4 years of that player's contract.

Ah, right. I skimmed the top part and started writing without fully processing your trade proposal. I did read Holmes' name but then I saw Barnes listed in the lineup and confused myself. The salaries don't match in a one to one swap of OG for Holmes though (as they would in a Harrison Barnes for OG swap) and giving up this year's pick would be a mistake in my opinion. Anunoby would help us but not enough to throw in a lottery pick for a 2 year rental. Obviously the hope would be that he sticks around longer but we could instead keep the pick, try to move one or two of our big guys for a backup SF in a different deal that doesn't cost us any picks, and then target OG or someone similar when thy hit free agency.

We're not going to fix all of our problems at once, If we trade assets for a veteran like OG right now we're putting even more pressure on ourselves to win now or else while also cutting into our depth by giving up another cost-controlled young player. Why not use these next two years to keep developing our young talent and adding key pieces through the draft so that when we do make a splash in free agency we're ready to maximize all 4 years of that player's contract.
yeh it’s a risk to trade a cost controlled asset but Monte is going to have to weigh that against our historical inability to sign premium free agents. Having said that, I doubt Toronto moves him. They probably would rather try to make deep playoff runs the next two seasons and then maybe move off Siakam if need be. Build around Barnes and OG.

Fred
GTJ
Barnes
Siakam
Holmes

Definitely a potential "All-in play" as he can hit FA when Sabonis does, but man. Can't ask for a better 3/4 wing to put next to Fox/Sabonis. Outside of Chet/Jabari, you're basically hoping anyone you draft (Murray, Mathurin, Griffin, etc) are basically anywhere near as good as OG.

Fox
DDV
OG
Barnes
Sabonis

Is a legitimately great starting 5. Almost couldn't craft a realistically better supporting cast to maximize Fox/Sabonis. With Mitchell/TD/Jones and a MLE off the bench? As long as you hit your coach, that's a squad with realistic playoff upside.

Sexton and Fox would be pretty crazy. Could that even work? Then draft someone like EJ Liddell to 3 and D.

Sexton-Fox-Barnes-Liddell-Sabonis

Barnes and Liddell corner threes to open it up for either Fox/Sexton running PnR with Sabonis

Sexton and Fox would be pretty crazy. Could that even work? Then draft someone like EJ Liddell to 3 and D.

Sexton-Fox-Barnes-Liddell-Sabonis

Barnes and Liddell corner threes to open it up for either Fox/Sexton running PnR with Sabonis
If Doncic was not good enough to take the ball out of Fox's hands not sure Sexton will be....

I only accept if we get Hartenstein somehow too obviously...

But yeah interesting deal. Morris had a down year, but he's a good role player that would fit right in at the 4; gives you spacing, solid defender. Does lock up space the next 2 years; not sure the short-term gain is worth. Feel like we can do better with the Holmes contract.

Don't know what it would take to bring Hartenstein in as part of the deal but it would prob work well for Holmes since I believe the kid is in LA or at least SoCal.
Hartenstein we should be able to bring over with an MLE offer. Clippers can only use their Tax MLE as a giga-cap team. Especially if we're offering a starting job, more money and a bigger role would be hard to turn down.

I'm so convinced he's good and all the factors line up to be able to get him without interference from the Clippers. He's very similar to conviction I had on Vanderbilt last year, except Vandy was a RFA while Hartenstein is an UFA and his team doesn't have his bird rights. The numbers across the board show he's a break-out guy that just needs a bigger role. And the eye test shows a very smart rim protector that has a real ++ passing skill and as a roll man/finisher.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
tradenba-snap-1650510595291.png

Morris's contract is too big to trade Holmes for straight up so Moe's expiring would make up the difference. In this hypothetical trade scenario, I have us getting BJ Boston back from the Clips too but I am 200% sure that Jerry West would absolutely refuse to give him up despite the fact he's probably going to be buried on the bench for the next 2 or 3 years in LA. We'd give up Indiana's second in 2023 in the deal (assuming Indiana is rebuilding, that second is possibly going to have similar value to a late first rounder).

Sabonis/Len/Queta
Barnes/Morris/Len
(Rookie wing/forward @7/8th overall)/Barnes/Boston
DDV/TD
Fox/Davion

I'd still prefer the PJ Washington option of course but getting a nice young wing prospect and a couple years of a solid 3-and-D forward who'd also help level up the team's toughness wouldn't be bad.

View attachment 11034

Morris's contract is too big to trade Holmes for straight up so Moe's expiring would make up the difference. In this hypothetical trade scenario, I have us getting BJ Boston back from the Clips too but I am 200% sure that Jerry West would absolutely refuse to give him up despite the fact he's probably going to be buried on the bench for the next 2 or 3 years in LA. We'd give up Indiana's second in 2023 in the deal (assuming Indiana is rebuilding, that second is possibly going to have similar value to a late first rounder).

Sabonis/Len/Queta
Barnes/Morris/Len
DDV/TD
Fox/Davion

I'd still prefer the PJ Washington option of course but getting a nice young wing prospect and a couple years of a solid 3-and-D forward who'd also help level up the team's toughness wouldn't be bad.
Jason Preston.

View attachment 11034

Sabonis/Len/Queta
Barnes/Morris/Len
DDV/TD
Fox/Davion

Really nice idea. Can obviously play with the inputs, but getting a solid win-now piece that you can plug and play and a developmental piece for Holmes and one of our enders would be the best case scenario. Just moving Holmes talent to a more needed position basically.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Really nice idea. Can obviously play with the inputs, but getting a solid win-now piece that you can plug and play and a developmental piece for Holmes and one of our enders would be the best case scenario. Just moving Holmes talent to a more needed position basically.
The nice thing about the Morris contract is that it's still a year shorter than Richaun's is, even if it does cost a little more per season. The guy's going to be 33 by the time the season starts so I'm not sure how much he's gonna have left in the tank but if we're looking for a PatBev on the T-Wolves level of attitude injection, this might be the way to do it.

The nice thing about the Morris contract is that it's still a year shorter than Richaun's is, even if it does cost a little more per season. The guy's going to be 33 by the time the season starts so I'm not sure how much he's gonna have left in the tank but if we're looking for a PatBev on the T-Wolves level of attitude injection, this might be the way to do it.
Yeah, Davion, DDV, Morris, Sabonis. Certainly upping our game in the "ain't gonna take crap" category.