2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

If there aren't further roster moves (and I have to think McNair is looking to move Barnes and/or Holmes before the seasons starts) I would think that the starting 5 would be

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
Huerter
Fox

If Brown goes with a nine man rotation I think you'll see Mitchell, Monk, Holmes and either Lyles or Davis depending on matchups.

I would guess that Monk is the first player off the bench and will often sub for either Barnes or Murray with Huerter sliding to the 3 for stretches.
Still don't think Murry will be starting from day one. Maybe if there are injuries.

If there aren't further roster moves (and I have to think McNair is looking to move Barnes and/or Holmes before the seasons starts) I would think that the starting 5 would be

Sabonis
Murray
Barnes
Huerter
Fox

If Brown goes with a nine man rotation I think you'll see Mitchell, Monk, Holmes and either Lyles or Davis depending on matchups.

I would guess that Monk is the first player off the bench and will often sub for either Barnes or Murray with Huerter sliding to the 3 for stretches.
the question will be who is better at the 3 Huerter, Murray or a one of the new defensive guys.

I don't really understand that one from either side. The Hornets presumably just drafted Mark Williams to be their center of the future and IMO he fits better with Melo as a rim running big on offense. Not to mention, if they don't re-sign Miles Bridges with the allegations coming to light they would be even thinner at the forward spots and overly heavy at guard. Hield adds some outside shooting that they need but I don't think that's reason enough to pull the trigger.

And for the Pacers, I like Washington but I don't know if he really moves the needle and he's headed for a payday. And I can't imagine anyone counts on Hayward to stay healthy and contribute.

This might be the rare trade that makes both teams worse.

I don't really understand that one from either side. The Hornets presumably just drafted Mark Williams to be their center of the future and IMO he fits better with Melo as a rim running big on offense. Not to mention, if they don't re-sign Miles Bridges with the allegations coming to light they would be even thinner at the forward spots and overly heavy at guard. Hield adds some outside shooting that they need but I don't think that's reason enough to pull the trigger.

And for the Pacers, I like Washington but I don't know if he really moves the needle and he's headed for a payday. And I can't imagine anyone counts on Hayward to stay healthy and contribute.

Mostly agree - but I give the Pacers the win for getting rid of Buddy Hield. And given the injury histories of Turner and Hayward, I’d take PJ Washington over everyone else in the trade.

Watching Turner trying to clean up Hield and Melo’s defensive messes is going to be must see basketball.

Mostly agree - but I give the Pacers the win for getting rid of Buddy Hield. And given the injury histories of Turner and Hayward, I’d take PJ Washington over everyone else in the trade.

Watching Turner trying to clean up Hield and Melo’s defensive messes is going to be must see basketball.
Hard to believe Buddy's value has fallen that far that he's now viewed mostly as a toxic contract, but I think you're right.

And for the Pacers it clears things up to have Haliburton, Mathurin, and Duarte be your main guards, and I'm guessing they'll often all share the floor. Washington is a nice fit with that group and adds versatility as a small ball center in certain matchups but it makes me wonder who their starting 5 would be.

Which is also why I wonder if this deal was being discussed when the Pacers thought they'd be adding Ayton. Then everything makes a lot more sense.

Yeah I think PJ all of a sudden became a very important asset for them to hold onto. Miles Bridges career is very likely done, or at a minimum he's going to be out for a year. They gave Caleb Martin a big deal and I assume they'd hold onto PJ as well.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Is Mac McClung signed to any team? He can score and dish out assists as seen in the summer league. May not be a bad pickup for the 3rd PG slot.
Plus he's got that really surprising athleticism, so he's a great show. G1C would nearly collapse from the decibels this kid would produce with a breakaway windmill. Considering the 3rd string PG isn't that important, I'm down. He can at the least run a team adequately, how badly could it go?

Plus he's got that really surprising athleticism, so he's a great show. G1C would nearly collapse from the decibels this kid would produce with a breakaway windmill. Considering the 3rd string PG isn't that important, I'm down. He can at the least run a team adequately, how badly could it go?
He would become a crowd favorite in his first game. I feel it's better to take a chance on a young talent than go for a retread at the 3rd PG slot.

Chima Moneke‘s new contract with the Kings is a two-year, minimum-salary deal that includes a partial guarantee in year one, Hoops Rumors has learned. Currently, only $250K of Moneke’s $1.02MM salary for 2022/23 is guaranteed, but that figure will increase to $500K if the forward isn’t waived before Sacramento’s first regular season game.

The second year of Moneke’s contract is non-guaranteed, but his 2023/24 salary would become partially guaranteed for $250K if he plays at least 1,000 minutes in ’22/23 and his team wins 41 games. Moneke’s full $1.72MM salary for ’23/24 would become guaranteed if he remains under contract through June 30, 2023.

Chima Moneke‘s new contract with the Kings is a two-year, minimum-salary deal that includes a partial guarantee in year one, Hoops Rumors has learned. Currently, only $250K of Moneke’s $1.02MM salary for 2022/23 is guaranteed, but that figure will increase to $500K if the forward isn’t waived before Sacramento’s first regular season game.

The second year of Moneke’s contract is non-guaranteed, but his 2023/24 salary would become partially guaranteed for $250K if he plays at least 1,000 minutes in ’22/23 and his team wins 41 games. Moneke’s full $1.72MM salary for ’23/24 would become guaranteed if he remains under contract through June 30, 2023.
Do we know KZ’s exact numbers as well? I wasn’t able to find them but Chima’s contract is pretty telling on his future with the Kings.

Do we know KZ’s exact numbers as well? I wasn’t able to find them but Chima’s contract is pretty telling on his future with the Kings.
What do you mean? Chima is a dude that’s like - just give me a chance and I’ll show you. It’s going to be difficult for him to crack the rotation in year 1. But I see a scenario where he’s in the top 8 of the rotation by year 2.

What do you mean? Chima is a dude that’s like - just give me a chance and I’ll show you. It’s going to be difficult for him to crack the rotation in year 1. But I see a scenario where he’s in the top 8 of the rotation by year 2.
I won’t write off any one ever, there’s a possibility for anything and everything. That said, with such little financial commitment and the lack of a true position or offensive skills I don’t see Chima here for long. Like if a roster spot is needed, I think he’s the first to go.

“But my agent told me it was going to happen. Brown brought the two assistant coaches from Nigeria, and I had a great relationship with them. The reason I came to Manresa is Jordi Fernandez. I have a close relationship with him, and he is the biggest reason it happened this time, too,” Moneke added. Asked about his upcoming role with the Kings, Moneke admitted that he doesn’t think too much about it and wants to earn everything. “I have to get there and just be who I am,” said Moneke. “I do not want anyone to give me anything, I want to work for it. When I get there, I will start training and prove that I belong. I will not be afraid of anyone. I will find my way in rotation.”

– via BasketNews

Gotta like Chima's attitude!!

“But my agent told me it was going to happen. Brown brought the two assistant coaches from Nigeria, and I had a great relationship with them. The reason I came to Manresa is Jordi Fernandez. I have a close relationship with him, and he is the biggest reason it happened this time, too,” Moneke added. Asked about his upcoming role with the Kings, Moneke admitted that he doesn’t think too much about it and wants to earn everything. “I have to get there and just be who I am,” said Moneke. “I do not want anyone to give me anything, I want to work for it. When I get there, I will start training and prove that I belong. I will not be afraid of anyone. I will find my way in rotation.”

– via BasketNews

Absolutely, and I hope he does surprise and come on like a bat out of hell. I’m just not holding my breath and the financial commitment allows for an easy exit.

– via BasketNews

This team needs more defensive players with some nasty ( to quote Pop:) Bring it Moneke!

Entity

Hall of Famer
Kings name popped up in possible Donovan Mitchell trade. Utah as of now has zero frontcourt players with experience. Barnes, Holmes, metu for Mitchell?

Well it’s not up to fans. Utah has nobody in front court. Fox makes sense. But they have guards everywhere. If they go into season as is they will lose often
Rumors are saying Jazz want 5-7 1st round picks for Mitchell and players. They want a better Gobert package.

I’m almost certain the Kings name being thrown around in these Mitchell talks is to be a third party. Mitchell just doesn’t make any sense for this team. The Raptors are rumored to be hot in pursuit of Mitchell however, and if that’s the case I’d assume OG is on the move. Now I could see the Kings trying to third party for a trade involving OG