2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Yeah dude they should offer him the Q/O to rescind it 2 weeks later ---- That makes sense! what a giant win for the franchise that would've been, how could monte have been so foolish to overlook such a masterful move?

So then they could tell the SG's they are really interested in this summer "dont worry about the DDV Q/O we just picked it up to mess with him and will rescind it 1 minute before the deadline"

You've got a brilliant plan, I can see the path to the playoffs being "the protector of unwanted assets", it's a shame what they did with the 37th pick too, Jaden Hardy is the next Michael Jordan, for sure.
Ummm what? That is exactly what the QO is for, giving you flexibility to decide if you do or dont want to keep a player while not tying your hands in FA. His team is hoping for 4/60 which means at least in the short run he was NOT going to sign it. Had he signed it it still removes. The $14M cap hold he currently has and doesnt limits your flexibility. If you do find a deal you want to make with someone else and DDV still isnt playing ball with respect to a better deal, you do exactly what you are dogging... Rescind the offer. Happens every year to someone who got too into themselves or their feelings and screws themselves over. At thr very least if another team wants him, you can demand pieces back if possible in order to let him walk or make it an unreasonable contract hurting thenother team's cap (ala Bogie getting $18M from hawks while giving them $12M worth of production).

Please, no full MLE deals Monte. Especially on a player coming off a contract year and no guarantees as to shots who only gives you points.
Ideally no, but it very likely is. Gotta pay the Sac tax. At least with Monk, it's a young player who's been ascending the last 2 years with previous chemistry with Fox and puts an elite spacer back in the starting 5.

Ideally no, but it very likely is. Gotta pay the Sac tax. At least with Monk, it's a young player who's been ascending the last 2 years with previous chemistry with Fox and puts an elite spacer back in the starting 5.
I'd prefer that we not pay the MLE, but also realize that we are basically replacing Buddy's skillset in the lineup at half the price.

I’m guessing if Durant goes Brooklyn blows it up and goes for Victor. They will want Rookies and picks.
Why would they? They have him for 4 more years and he doesn't exactly have a no-trade clause. He does have a 15% trade kicker which im sure he will waive for the right destination. Or any team will just be willing to pay it. That means they can sit on him and play him this year next to Kylie and Simmons and royce until a good deal comes through. That said, i doubt that he will be with the nets next season. He wants to go to the Suns and the Suns have the pieces to get him with trading Ayton, Bridges and a Cam (payne or Johnson) and 3 FRP. Hell, throw both Cams if you can keep bridges (but i think bridges has to be part of the deal. Both teams stay ultra competitive and the nets will be deep as hell with at each position with probably a top 3 defense.

Well, if this goes bad by the deadline, get ready, this is going to be a long haul back out. I wonder if the Kings could pull off a sign and trade with Holmes going back. At least that could mitigate the potential of having two cap anchors on the cap in a worst case.

I'd prefer that we not pay the MLE, but also realize that we are basically replacing Buddy's skillset in the lineup at half the price.
Haven't dug overly deep, but I think Monk is probably better than Buddy. Far more versatile as a scorer and he actually can dribble the ball and provide some secondary playmaking. Both equally trash on defense, although there's some optimism that Monk has been improving.

Haven't dug overly deep, but I think Monk is probably better than Buddy. Far more versatile as a scorer and he actually can dribble the ball and provide some secondary playmaking. Both equally trash on defense, although there's some optimism that Monk has been improving.
Yeah, and at a cheaper rate. I think it could be a good move.

More than that, if it goes down it shows you that Monte was all in on Fox from day 1 and this is full on his team. I'd bet he never had intentions of moving him. For that reason, it's good in a lot of ways but this team has to win for sure now.

Well, if this goes bad by the deadline, get ready, this is going to be a long haul back out. I wonder if the Kings could pull off a sign and trade with Holmes going back. At least that could mitigate the potential of having two cap anchors on the cap in a worst case.
Interesting idea. Lakers would love that in theory. Not sure how I feel about giving them a valuable piece when they are so strapped, but it could help us.

The one benefit i see with Monk vs Buddy is that he actually doesnt make dumb bonehead Buddy type plays. He tries to play within himself. In Charlotte he was sorely lacking confidence. In LA LeBron did a good job mentoring him back to a serviceable player, and here is will be in the loving embrace of his BFF Fox who is the franchise player. So his head will at least be straight. They will be as fast in the open court as Ivey and Fox would have been too...BUT he plays zero defense. Not sure he knows how. Hopefully mike brown can fix it. I think he and DDV are a wash as far as helping this team win, they just do it differently. Not sure anything done this post season helps us win now (keegan though. I think will help win in the future).

Buddy was up there with Klay/Steph shooting wise. Monk had a bad situation in under MJ, but no doubt, Buddy is way more proven. Monk has potential and is much craftier getting to the rim but this is a risky signing if for too much.

Buddy was up there with Klay/Steph shooting wise. Monk had a bad situation in under MJ, but no doubt, Buddy is way more proven. Monk has potential and is much craftier getting to the rim but this is a risky signing if for too much.
Monk has had 2 elite shooting years the past 2 seasons and really developed in the Lakers system of all places last year as a far more versatile player. I don't see much risk here; seems very likely the monk we've seen the last couple seasons, we'll get throughout the contract as he heads into his prime. Especially for just a MLE contract, which is about as cheap as you can get for good top 6-7 rotation guys that aren't on their rookie scale extension.

Monk has had 2 elite shooting years the past 2 seasons and really developed in the Lakers system of all places last year as a far more versatile player. I don't see much risk here; seems very likely the monk we've seen the last couple seasons, we'll get throughout the contract as he heads into his prime.
So did Barnes then, and some people are willing to give him away for free haha. If the Kings don't win, you'll see it, we've seen it before. Vlade was able to cut ties soon enough to mitigate things with guys like Dedmon though. Ideally you want versatile players in this scenario. Monk can't really play up to SF so if he's not getting those SG minutes his role could be in question.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Monk is a microwave scorer with plus athleticism. Something the kings have very little of. He’s actually improved defensively every year as well. What I’m not understanding is this infatuation with DDV? He’s a supposed 3 and D player who’s a little above average on D and a sub average 3 guy. Averages under 10 points, sub 35% from 3, and barely cracks 40% shooting from the field for his career. And he’s played on teams with stars who space the floor for him very nicely on lesser defenders. Not to mention has an injury history, doesn’t want to be here and has already been given up on by 3 NBA franchises who could all use SG help or depth. Why are we acting like we just missed out on someone of great importance and discussing him at length?
DDV is above average in defending and rebounding, and he complements Fox. Monk doesn't. Monk was a pretty good comedy show, but not a good fit for the Kings.

DDV apparently doesn't want to be here because they treated him like ****. They have nobody but themselves to blame.

So did Barnes then, and some people are willing to give him away for free haha. If the Kings don't win, you'll see it, we've seen it before. Vlade was able to cut ties soon enough to mitigate things with guys like Dedmon though. Ideally you want versatile players in this scenario. Monk can't really play up to SF so if he's not getting those SG minutes his role could be in question.
Well yeah, but I think a guy like Monk helps you win in this 2 year Sabonis time-frame. Kings can't be expected to make this work if they don't bring in talent around them to give it a chance.

DDV is above average in defending and rebounding, and he complements Fox. Monk doesn't. Monk was a pretty good comedy show, but not a good fit for the Kings.

DDV apparently doesn't want to be here because they treated him like ****. They have nobody but themselves to blame.
I get what you're saying, but that's not totally the case, in fact, this would be a total Fox call. They know eachother. The question is whether or not this move puts the Kings in a position to compete and whether Monk can continue to play at this level or it was a contract year thing.

I am down for Monk. Great shooter and solid at creating. He was one of the Lakers lone bright spots last season. He may not be able to defend well, but we really need a knockdown shooter next to Fox and someone who can also handle dribbling duties when Fox is sitting. As long as we don’t extremely overpay, a team can always use someone of Monk’s caliber, especially this bricklayer of a team we have.

Ummm what? That is exactly what the QO is for, giving you flexibility to decide if you do or dont want to keep a player while not tying your hands in FA. His team is hoping for 4/60 which means at least in the short run he was NOT going to sign it. Had he signed it it still removes. The $14M cap hold he currently has and doesnt limits your flexibility. If you do find a deal you want to make with someone else and DDV still isnt playing ball with respect to a better deal, you do exactly what you are dogging... Rescind the offer. Happens every year to someone who got too into themselves or their feelings and screws themselves over. At thr very least if another team wants him, you can demand pieces back if possible in order to let him walk or make it an unreasonable contract hurting thenother team's cap (ala Bogie getting $18M from hawks while giving them $12M worth of production).
What makes you think the Kings didnt have a large enough sample size from last season, WHERE HE SHOT 36%, to decide? We need more time to decide, thats what the fuss is about?

What more flexibility do they need? This whole thing is so bizarre to me.. Its like if I told my G/F were breaking up i dont love you anymore and she told me -- but if you keep me there's flexibility I could do this and that, wash the dishes, etc. and im like babe, you dont get it, it's over... Thats what this conversation reminds me of..

We're mad at the Kings for not making a chain of completely pointless moves? wutface?

I'm reminded of Marlo Stannfield from the wire when he says "You want it to be one way/ but its the other way"

4 years 60 million?!!?! wutface?

Yeah dude they should offer him the Q/O to rescind it 2 weeks later ---- That makes sense! what a giant win for the franchise that would've been, how could monte have been so foolish to overlook such a masterful move?

So then they could tell the SG's they are really interested in this summer "dont worry about the DDV Q/O we just picked it up to mess with him and will rescind it 1 minute before the deadline"

You've got a brilliant plan, I can see the path to the playoffs being "the protector of unwanted assets", it's a shame what they did with the 37th pick too, Jaden Hardy is the next Michael Jordan, for sure.
Says the dude, who thinks Murray will be Tatum 2.0. Sigh.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess for the Nets they would have

Kyrie
Curry
Bridges
Simmons
Ayton

that team could still be pretty good.
I think Kyrie gets traded too. If Irving actually wanted to stay in Brooklyn I don't think KD would've demanded a trade.

That said, I can't think of any superstar player who has tanked their legacy more than KD without some significant off the court issues.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's been a top 3 player in the NBA over the vast majority of his career and had a fantastic reputation in OKC only to tarnish it by ring chasing with the Warrior, then leaving them in the lurch to form a new superteam in Brooklyn with Kyrie and James Harden, only to (presumably) force his way out of that situation.

And the fact that his top two destinations are said to be the teams with the best records in the East and West respectively, he's only adding to the the overall narrative that he can only succeed on a team already stacked with talent.

Definitely not a good look.

Well yeah, but I think a guy like Monk helps you win in this 2 year Sabonis time-frame. Kings can't be expected to make this work if they don't bring in talent around them to give it a chance.
The Kings can mitigate the risk by getting players that fill more than one spot though. Monk is a smallish 2 for the most part. Ideally, he's a bench scorer which is what he we basically was in LA half his time there. Bench scoring and backup centers is nice to have but is it really the missing piece? I guess we could be finding out soon enough. For something like 5-7 a year it's a moveable deal. For 10+, you get into danger zone territory.

I get what you're saying, but that's not totally the case, in fact, this would be a total Fox call. They know eachother. The question is whether or not this move puts the Kings in a position to compete and whether Monk can continue to play at this level or it was a contract year thing.
It's not lol. He was good his last year in CHA too as a bench scorer/shooter. He saw natural progression from that season to his year with LAL.

Now, if we were signing him to a 4 year MLE deal off that last year in CHA? Sure, def would be worrisome after being really poor his first 3 seasons. But we saw that growth in LAL last year, which suggests he's figuring/figured it out to an extent.

Monk has had 2 elite shooting years the past 2 seasons and really developed in the Lakers system of all places last year as a far more versatile player. I don't see much risk here; seems very likely the monk we've seen the last couple seasons, we'll get throughout the contract as he heads into his prime. Especially for just a MLE contract, which is about as cheap as you can get for good top 6-7 rotation guys that aren't on their rookie scale extension.
The Kings acquiring Holiday and trying to play him at 2 made a lot sense to me. Length and defending on the perimeter.

Monk + Fox are like 6'4 (maybe) and 6'3. An undersized and zero defending starting back court is a complete head scratcher. Brown better be a miracle worker if that is indeed the starting back court. Now, if the intent is for Monk to be a 6th man? I can get behind that.

The Kings acquiring Holiday and trying to play him at 2 made a lot sense to me. Length and defending on the perimeter.

Monk + Fox is like 6'4 (maybe) and 6'3. An undersized and zero defending starting back court is a complete head scratcher. Brown better be a miracle worker if that is indeed the starting back court. Now, if the intent is for Monk to be a 6th man? I can get behind that.
I think it's pretty much assumed we're banking on Brown being a miracle worker after letting one of our only good defenders walk out the door without a QO. So if we're going to punt defense, we may as well be good on O, which Monk is an upgrade on over DDV and Holiday.

It's not lol. He was good his last year in CHA too as a bench scorer/shooter. He saw natural progression from that season to his year with LAL.

Now, if we were signing him to a 4 year MLE deal off that last year in CHA? Sure, def would be worrisome after being really poor his first 3 seasons. But we saw that growth in LAL last year, which suggests he's figuring/figured it out to an extent.
His last year in Charlotte was very up and down and he played in like 40 games with the last half of the year being terrible even if due to potential injury issues. I do think he's better than that if given the chance but there was a reason, yes partly due to Charlotte being stupid, that he was a minimum player in a place to rehab his value. I personally don't think it rehabbed to a full MLE contract yet and for it not to be considered a risk.