[2021] Gone But Not Forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Michael K Williams passed. Getting to read about him and his other roles and the type of person he was. I finished Boardwalk Empire a few weeks ago and he was absolutely fantastic as Chaulky White. Now I’m learning he was also fantastic in The Wire which I have not seen. I’ll have to give that series a go.

Michael K Williams passed. Getting to read about him and his other roles and the type of person he was. I finished Boardwalk Empire a few weeks ago and he was absolutely fantastic as Chaulky White. Now I’m learning he was also fantastic in The Wire which I have not seen. I’ll have to give that series a go.
He was phenomenal as the coolest badass in The Wire, and stole every scene he was in. Rest in peace, Michael.

"You come at the king, you best not miss."

was shocked when I saw it yesterday. Loved his work. Omar Little was one of the greatest characters ever

Joan Didion made a long, lucrative literary career out of being rather obsessed contrarian. She disliked Sacramento, no she liked Sacramento - well, sometimes. In the graceful, touching film Lady Bird, it opens with 1979 Didion quote. "Anybody who talks about California hedonism has never spent a Christmas in Sacramento." Yet, over the decades Dideon wrote about subjects from all across California, across the globe but very rarely said anything about her hometown, except wanting to leave it behind. Maybe she knew it too well and tactfully concluded, if can't say anything good, say nothing at all.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Joan Didion made a long, lucrative literary career out of being rather obsessed contrarian. She disliked Sacramento, no she liked Sacramento - well, sometimes. In the graceful, touching film Lady Bird, it opens with 1979 Didion quote. "Anybody who talks about California hedonism has never spent a Christmas in Sacramento." Yet, over the decades Dideon wrote about subjects from all across California, across the globe but very rarely said anything about her hometown, except wanting to leave it behind. Maybe she knew it too well and tactfully concluded, if can't say anything good, say nothing at all.
In a way, she was the most quintessentially Sacramentan of us all. Maybe it’s because I’ve been away from here for eight years but there’s probably nothing more Sacramentan than wanting to escape it but Sacramento never quite escaping you.
The Year of Magical Thinking remains one of the best books about grief I’ve ever read.

RIP to a Sactown Legend (who largely denied being from here)
What a titanic figure she was. From Why I Write (1976):

Joan Didion said:
Had I been blessed with even limited access to my own mind there would have been no reason to write. I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear. Why did the oil refineries around Carquinez Strait seem sinister to me in the summer of 1956? Why have the night lights in the Bevatron burned in my mind for twenty years? What is going on in these pictures in my mind?
Everyone desires to better understand themselves and to be understood by others. Joan Didion possessed the sturdiest of shoulders upon which many have clambered, seeking the language necessary to unlock their own disordered thoughts. One's mind can often feel unknowable, a world remote from even ourselves. But Didion wrote in a manner that helped to elucidate the illusory, and I am grateful for her body of work.

She showed me the beauty and the craft of stringing words together with purpose.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.