[2024] Gone But Not Forgotten

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Mark James, songwriter for Elvis Presley's Suspicious Minds, 83

The man responsible for Elvis's last #1 hit (not counting the posthumous Junkie XL remix of A Little Less Converstation) has died. I remember when I visited Graceland last year the tour bus driver from the hotel to the mansion lead us all in singing the song which was her favorite. It was probably the first Elvis song I ever sang in front of people too. He originally wrote it about a past love he was pining over despite both being in other relationships hoping it would be a hit for himself but didn't gain traction until it was given to Elvis. Apparently Elvis had a fondness for James until his death and would ask those in the studio if James had sent him any more tracks.

He also co-wrote Always On My Mind, originally performed by Brenda Lee but also performed by Elvis, the Pet Shop Boys and perhaps most famously Willie Nelson; Sunday Sunrise, also originally performed by Lee and covered by Anne Murray; BJ Thomas's Hooked on a Feeling; Blood, Sweat and Tears Roller Coaster as well as a few songs for David Cassidy.

Take him out King.