2016 NBA Draft Discussion

I might be in the minority here but I kind of like what we did here. We obviously went for the high upside players which is what you really should do in a draft like this one.

We drafted a young, big C who can either come over or stay in Greece and develop for a couple of years. We drafted Richardson who is athletic, lengthy wing that can shoot. Again high risk, high reward type of pick. Skal at pick 28 was a bit of a steal. A stretch 4 from Kentucky (Its funny how we have a lot of Kentucky products in the front court). I was hoping we would buy a 2nd round pick earlier to get Jackson but happy with Cousins. If he works out great. If not, then who really cares.

I am very happy with getting Bogdan Bogdanovic. He will be a good, solid NBA player. He most likely comes into the team after next season just in time when we don't have a 1st round pick. If the big Papa comes over we can start developing him but I would prefer he stays in Europe and develops over there in Euroleague and comes in when Kosta's contract expires (that is if we keep him for that long).

What we basically did was see how things unfolded with teams above us in the draft. If Dunn was there, we would have taken him, otherwise we are trading pick 8 for more assets.

Kings needed more assets and I thought our deal with PHX was excellent. Now time will tell if we piked the right players with those picks but overall, the logic is there. None of these will help us straight out of the game but in a couple of years they become handy players if developed properly.

Was shattered when Wolves picked Dunn but I think we did OK. Bring on the free agency and trade period.
If we were a team that was in a full rebuild, I could get behind this draft for sure. I still would have grabbed Luwawu at 22 over Richardson, but I could at least see the reasoning behind our picks; add depth and potential home-run picks that are years away from being ready. Bogdan looks like he can be a real nice player too, when he comes over.

But we're essentially on a 1 year clock to keep Cousins and put a winner around him. Can you honestly say we did anything that will help us do that tonight?

Like I said, either these guys need to be shipped out for a vet of some sort, or Boogie needs to be traded. Otherwise, I've lost quite a bit of faith in this FO.

This. Either we are moving to rebuild, which makes last year's Philly trade look worse or we just did nothing to help win now. Either way, it doesn't seem like Vlade knows what he is doing.
I don't think the Kings would get rid of Karl if they are thinking of trading Cousins.

Labissere will NOT contribute next year. Has anyone even watched him at Kentucky? He was terrible each time he touched the floor. He is a HORRIBLE rebounder for a big man. All he showed was the ability of fouling out of games.

I think he could be a special player 3 years from now granted the Kings start developing players (terrible track record).

Richardson can't do anything well at the moment. He's just a raw 20yearold player who's a decent shooter that can't finish around the rim.

Right now, this draft is terrible, but there is a lot of potential down the road. However, are we planning for life after Cousins? Because none of these guys will effectively help us now.
Richardson is a project for sure but it's tough to go off of freshman stats. Many rock solid players and all stars have had inefficient freshman seasons just like Richardson had. Iguadola was worse his freshman year. McCollum shot under 40% his sophmore year. The pick itself isn't terrible its just there were better prospects still left on the board.

Richardson is a project for sure but it's tough to go off of freshman stats. Many rock solid players and all stars have had inefficient freshman seasons just like Richardson had. Iguadola was worse his freshman year. McCollum shot under 40% his sophmore year. The pick itself isn't terrible its just there were better prospects still left on the board.
He's also an old freshman

So this kid we drafted at 13 only averaged around 12 min a game last year. How could he go that high on such limited floor time?

What's his story? Where the hell is Baja!!??
He's just 18

So this is as true as a big prospect as you can get thinking of the future and with what's in front of him.

The pick terrifies me, but if it takes a bit of time, its not like we are struggling at C.

But we've got to pray we do well in FA now.

I don't think the Kings would get rid of Karl if they are thinking of trading Cousins.
Are you kidding?

DJ is the perfect coach for a young team. He's an excellent players coach and he has the ability to be around for the next 20 years if he wanted. Even if everything was peaaches with Karl and he won here, it's hard to believe he would have lasted more than a couple more seasons.

What's even more frustrating is we could have walked away with Baldwin, luwawu and dejonte Murray and completely revamped our backcourt with high upside players who could contribute in different ways next year. I wouldn't trust anyone we picked up tonight with minutes for a team trying to win
We worked out Baldwin, I assumed it was who we were taking, but maybe the FO saw something they didn't like.

I like the way Vlade strategized this draft. When the draft lacks elite players at the top, trade the lotto pick for multiple lower picks. When you can't find talented college players, look at the Euro stack. Now, I don't know if Vlade choose the right players, but I agree with his strategy 100%. In the old days the Kings would have just sat tight and pick from a bunch of scrubs, not this time. And I like it.

This draft was great for a team rebuilding, but the Kings aren't.

With all the picks the Kings accumulated, not one of them could be packaged for a Vet who could help us win now. The Kings can still trade some of these picks, but as it stands, not one of the players drafted helps the Kings this year.

I am a big believer that the draft is about the future.

Immediate needs are what trades and free agency are for. Besides, I think only a few guys can come in and help right away.

Immediate needs are what trades and free agency are for. Besides, I think only a few guys can come in and help right away.
My same feeling. Reading some posts it seems like we passed on Simmons or Ingram.

And btw, after getting some info about Papa, I must say he's a really interesting prospect. I'm starting to like the pick.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/...central-bogdan-bogdanovic-delays-move-to-suns

Due to the collective bargaining agreement, it behooves Bogdanovic to stay with Fenerbahce Ulker for another season. Any first-round pick who signs within three years of the draft he was selected in will have to sign a rookie-scale contract. If the player signs after the third draft, he is not bound by the rookie scale and can sign up to the max salary for a 0-6 NBA veteran. As the 27th pick, Bogdanovic would earn only $1.19 million this coming season if he had signed with the Suns.

You see what I mean?

He's just 18

So this is as true as a big prospect as you can get thinking of the future and with what's in front of him.

The pick terrifies me, but if it takes a bit of time, its not like we are struggling at C.

But we've got to pray we do well in FA now.
Weren't you already paying we do well in the FA market? Nothing has changed.

Last edited:

I get what you are saying and I agree to an extent. Most players drafted outside the lottery won't make a difference in their first year, but if Vlade doesn't package these players for proven players, I will be disgruntled considering we gave up our future last year (Stauskas and our 2019 1st round pick) to win now.

I also have a real question. So Vlade said since Dunn was gone, they decided to trade back?

Did the Kings really not have a plan B for pick 8? Did they really expect Dunn to be there at 8?

Then after trading back, did they really not have anyone they wanted to select at 13 either?

It sounds like Vlade literally didn't have a backup play if Dunn wasn't available at 8.. and if his backup plan was trading back to 13, he didn't have a backup plan of who to draft there either? Jones, "Didn't have one(pg) rated high enough to take at 13".

I get the impression that some of you guys are a little upset with the decision making of the Kings front office. I have to be honest, all I know about Papagiannis comes from some film I watched, and what I've read about him. Ironically, out of curiousity, because I listened to a podcast with an NBA scout and he mentioned a sleeper named Papagiannis, I decided to watch some film on him.

I think someone referred to him as another white, slow, plodding center. Well, part of that is true. He is a center and he's white, but he's not slow. Quite the contrary, he runs the floor quite well, and appears to be a good athlete. He is just 18 years old, so I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve, but he seems to be decently skilled. In the film I watched, his offense was almost entirely in the post. Defensively, he appears to have good length, and he blocked shots. He'll need to get strounger, and I didn't see him defend on the perimeter at all. Vlade must think he's too talented to pass on, but I could see him staying in Europe for another year.

Malachi Richardson I know something about. Another young prospect who is a good athlete. He has good length and I can see him being a decent to good defender in the future. It's hard to judge how good a defender is when they play for Syracuse. He shot around 35% from the three, but I don't think that's a true indicator of how good he can be. For one thing, he took more three point attempts than he did two point attempts. Around 6 a game. Of all his jumpshots, about 60% of them were off the dribble, and many times, off balance, or highly contested. If he can become more disciplined with his shot selection, I can see him shooting in the 40 percent range from the three. What I like about him is he has a very relaxed effortless three point shot. He also has a quick release. He'll need some time, but he could turn out to be a good player.

Not much point going over Skal Labissiere. He's a long range project who could turn out to be a star down the road. I wouldn't expect much from him if anything this coming season. He has some serious skills, but he really needs to add a lot of strength. At one point, he was in the running to be the first pick in the draft. Obviously, he fell far short of that dream. But make no mistake. There was a reason for that projection, and three years from now, he could be considered one of the top five players out of this draft. He could also turn out to be a bust, so I'm not trying to blow smoke. Maybe being around Cousins will toughen him up.

I like Isaiah Cousins, and thought he would be drafted higher. He was Buddy Hield's running mate at Oklahoma. He didn't get the press clippings that Buddy did, but he showed himself to be a clutch player at times. People forget that he shot over 40% from the three, he just didn't take as many shots as Hield. Isaiah can also play some PG, which he did at Oklahoma. he has decent to good handles, and good court awareness. He could be a bit of a steal at 59. He's not guaranteed a contract as a 2nd round pick, so he'll likely have to earn it in summer league and in preseason games.

With all the picks the Kings accumulated, not one of them could be packaged for a Vet who could help us win now.
And once Dunn and Buddy were off the board, NO ONE left at #8 would have helped us next year!

Clearly, Vlade did not see the value of drafting a project like Chriss at #8.

Very simple math, you can have one player with potential, upside, and also a project (Chriss) OR you can have 4 players with roughly the same potential and upside (Brodjan, Papa, Richardson and Skal).

I like our odds better with 4 upside players vs. 1 upside player. :cool:

I also have a real question. So Vlade said since Dunn was gone, they decided to trade back?

Did the Kings really not have a plan B for pick 8? Did they really expect Dunn to be there at 8?

Then after trading back, did they really not have anyone they wanted to select at 13 either?

It sounds like Vlade literally didn't have a backup play if Dunn wasn't available at 8.. and if his backup plan was trading back to 13, he didn't have a backup plan of who to draft there either? Jones, "Didn't have one(pg) rated high enough to take at 13".
Well Phoenix would of had to of liked what was there at 8.

Maybe if someone else was there at 8 he had worked other options, maybe that would have snuffed the pick completely with a veteran or something else back.

But sure, he should of had the 13th scouted real well knowing they were a potential trade partner.

I'm assuming we worked out Baldwin as part of the look at moving back, maybe we had a tough time getting a better look at anyone else.