2016 NBA Draft Discussion

Wow what a weird draft for Kings. I'm not sure what to think. I'm just going to wait and hold back judgement until I at least see these draft picks in the summer league and how they look. Vlade is either going to look like an idiot or a genius. Looks like they did BPA strategy for the draft and planning to fill needs through free agency and trades.

Either boogie has to be moving or we are packaging these picks for someone like noel. Keeping the picks and Boogie makes absolutely 0 sense.

These guys just aren't going to be ready to contribute for a couple seasons. Papa and Bogdan might not come over and Skal is as raw as you can be. Richardson can help, but heshe not going to better than ben next season.

We had the opportunirl to add 3 pieces with great upside that could help us get to the playoffs next season and keep boogie. This was a draft keyed on the future a couple years down the line, rather than to add talent to boogie

Either boogie has to be moving or we are packaging these picks for someone like noel. Keeping the picks and Boogie makes absolutely 0 sense.

These guys just aren't going to be ready to contribute for a couple seasons. Papa and Bogdan might not come over and Skal is as raw as you can be. Richardson can help, but heshe not going to better than ben next season.

We had the opportunirl to add 3 pieces with great upside that could help us get to the playoffs next season and keep boogie. This was a draft keyed on the future a couple years down the line, rather than to add talent to boogie
This. Either we are moving to rebuild, which makes last year's Philly trade look worse or we just did nothing to help win now. Either way, it doesn't seem like Vlade knows what he is doing.

Don't forget we are losing the 2019 pick. Basically we got one early. ;)

Just Philly and the Lakers, and that's because they're terrible to begin with. So it's really not that big of a deal. If we need back court players to help right away for a playoff push, there wasn't one to be had. At the PG position, there usually never is one to be had in the draft in any year. What we did was recoup what we lost last year when we swung for the fences and went all in on vets and passed out picks like candy. We got some draft picks back and used them on young talent. We now have some assets and can begin to look like a normal team with vets in the starting lineup and developing players on the bench. This is of course assuming that we plan on getting guard help in free agency.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not everybody subscribes to your 'I trust such and such in the front office, I LOVE THIS TEAM, rah rah go team' mentality. Try to be cognizant of those who question the moves. Fans are fans
Dont ban people for differing in opinion from you.
Excuse me? I don't believe I've banned anyone for having a differing opinion. Take a chill pill.

I might be in the minority here but I kind of like what we did here. We obviously went for the high upside players which is what you really should do in a draft like this one.

We drafted a young, big C who can either come over or stay in Greece and develop for a couple of years. We drafted Richardson who is athletic, lengthy wing that can shoot. Again high risk, high reward type of pick. Skal at pick 28 was a bit of a steal. A stretch 4 from Kentucky (Its funny how we have a lot of Kentucky products in the front court). I was hoping we would buy a 2nd round pick earlier to get Jackson but happy with Cousins. If he works out great. If not, then who really cares.

I am very happy with getting Bogdan Bogdanovic. He will be a good, solid NBA player. He most likely comes into the team after next season just in time when we don't have a 1st round pick. If the big Papa comes over we can start developing him but I would prefer he stays in Europe and develops over there in Euroleague and comes in when Kosta's contract expires (that is if we keep him for that long).

What we basically did was see how things unfolded with teams above us in the draft. If Dunn was there, we would have taken him, otherwise we are trading pick 8 for more assets.

Kings needed more assets and I thought our deal with PHX was excellent. Now time will tell if we piked the right players with those picks but overall, the logic is there. None of these will help us straight out of the game but in a couple of years they become handy players if developed properly.

Was shattered when Wolves picked Dunn but I think we did OK. Bring on the free agency and trade period.

What's even more frustrating is we could have walked away with Baldwin, luwawu and dejonte Murray and completely revamped our backcourt with high upside players who could contribute in different ways next year. I wouldn't trust anyone we picked up tonight with minutes for a team trying to win
This.
I loved the Marco trade and the trading down part and I wrote a similar post to what you just wrote as we traded down (only with Korkmaz instead of Murray)- if we would have gone that road we would be a FA signing at PG away from being a well balanced team, look at our roster for example without additions:

PG: DC/Baldwin (Murray)
SG: Luwawu/Murray/Ben
SF: Gay/Casspi/Butler (Luwawu)
PF: WCS/Casspi
C: DMC/KK (WCS)

Now that's the roster we have now:

PG: DC
SG: Ben/Richardson
SF: Gay/Casspi/Butler (Richardson)
PF: WCS/Casspi/Skal
C: DMC/KK/Papagiannis (Skal)

Now if anybody thinks this is the better roster for a win-now mentality team I'll be glad to hear his reasoning... and regarding trades there is no sense in drafting so many big guys in that sense aswell since it will be much harder packaging two 7 footers (KK and Papa/Skal) together for a wing than a wing and a 7 footer.

Last edited:
I am very happy with getting Bogdan Bogdanovic. He will be a good, solid NBA player. He most likely comes into the team after next season just in time when we don't have a 1st round pick. If the big Papa comes over we can start developing him but I would prefer he stays in Europe and develops over there in Euroleague and comes in when Kosta's contract expires (that is if we keep him for that long).
Good points. This also allows the Kings to have more cap space for the big Free Agent bonanza now.

I think that Richardson, Skal and Cousins were picks for this year.

Brojan and Papa were stash and develop players. In one or two years, after some more Europe seasoning, they will come to the NBA and be contributors on the Kings in a couple of years.

I think Vlade is looking towards Free Agency for help this year. No one from #8 and lower was going to make a big splash this year anyways.

I think that Richardson, Skal and Cousins were picks for this year.

Brojan and Papa were stash and develop players. In one or two years, after some more Europe seasoning, they will come to the NBA and be contributors on the Kings in a couple of years.

I think Vlade is looking towards Free Agency for help this year. No one from #8 and lower was going to make a big splash this year anyways.
Richardson isn't even more "ready" than Ben. Skal is extremely skinny and doesn't have a pro game right now. Cousins was the second to last pick in the draft.

We are drafting like the Spurs. Also, the fact that we have a decent coach this year probably changed out tack slightly. Not as if we were gonna get a big impact player in this year's draft. To me it shows a cognizant, engaged FO. I like it.
To draft like the Spurs, you need to have a team like the Spurs. Our roster is nothing like the Spurs.

We have GIGANTIC holes at PG/SG. The Spurs didn't. The Spurs could afford to draft and stash projects because they already had an elite team from top to bottom. The Kings are far from that.

We could've added a real contributor at 13, but we decided not to.

I guess we will roll the dice in free agency.

Or maybe we'll go forward with Ben McLemore as our starting PG. Richardson can be our starting SG. It's a shame Richardson can't shoot though.

Now if anybody thinks this is the better roster for a win-now mentality team I'll be glad to hear his reasoning... and regarding trades there is no sense in drafting so many big guys in that sense aswell since it will be much harder packaging two 7 footers (KK and Papa/Skal) together for a wing than a wing and a 7 footer.
Why do you need to package two 7 footers? Packaging KK with Gay and/or Ben still gets toward balance.

Why do you need to package two 7 footers? Packaging KK with Gay and/or Ben still gets toward balance.
It will, but you will still come out of it with 2 extremely raw 7 footers who probably won't really contribute next season.
Last season the chatter was that we are done with "upside" and "assests" and we are going "all-in" for Cousins and than you have Baldwin and Murray on the board and go with 2 big-men projects?

The only way it makes sense is if a DMC trade is coming and we are changing direction entirely.

Labissere will NOT contribute next year. Has anyone even watched him at Kentucky? He was terrible each time he touched the floor. He is a HORRIBLE rebounder for a big man. All he showed was the ability of fouling out of games.

I think he could be a special player 3 years from now granted the Kings start developing players (terrible track record).

Richardson can't do anything well at the moment. He's just a raw 20yearold player who's a decent shooter that can't finish around the rim.

Right now, this draft is terrible, but there is a lot of potential down the road. However, are we planning for life after Cousins? Because none of these guys will effectively help us now.