2016 NBA Draft Discussion

Same could be said for 90+% of the kids selected tonight though.
Sure but you have to have a strategy in the draft. If you can afford to wait on guys, do that. If you can't, take guys ready to contribute now or trade for a vet. Don't trade for multiple raw guys at positions you don't need. Honestly, if Papa or Skal develop in a couple years, at best it means maybe we have possible replacements for Cousins when he leaves because we are still losing. Seems like there had to be better options.

gunks

Hall of Famer
My "let's give Vlade the benefit of the doubt" take:

We're set in the front court with Cuz/WCS so swinging for the fences with a big is actually safer in "win now" mode. We have time to develop Big George and Skal, who are both intriguing prospects.

Our backcourt is super thin, we can't risk whiffing on yet another guard who isn't ready. Vlade is about to fill out that part of our rotation with FA and trades.

KK is likely gone. He's a solid defensive big on a decent contact that's very tradable. ... And with the emergence of Trill he's also expendable. He's our ticket to a vet guard.

Weird draft for sure, but it isn't quite the disaster people are making it out to be. I think this is just setting the stage for the rest of the summer.

So this kid we drafted at 13 only averaged around 12 min a game last year. How could he go that high on such limited floor time?

What's his story? Where the hell is Baja!!??

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sharpening my pitchfork just yet.

I hate this draft but I'm very much hoping that Vlade & co know a lot that I don't.

And of course there's still trades and free agency.

And no matter what happens there I'll still give the Kings the benefit of the doubt and one more season to show me something.

But that's pretty much where my patience with this franchise ends.

My "let's give Vlade the benefit of the doubt" take:

We're set in the front court with Cuz/WCS so swinging for the fences with a big is actually safer in "win now" mode. We have time to develop Big George and Skal, who are both intriguing prospects.

Our backcourt is super thin, we can't risk whiffing on yet another guard who isn't ready. Vlade is about to fill out that part of our rotation with FA and trades.

KK is likely gone. He's a solid defensive big on a decent contact that's very tradable. ... And with the emergence of Trill he's also expendable. He's our ticket to a vet guard.

Weird draft for sure, but it isn't quite the disaster people are making it out to be. I think this is just setting the stage for the rest of the summer.
Our backcourt is dry of ANY reliable NBA production at the moment, especially with Collison's off court issues.

As of right now our backcourt is, assuming we resign Seth

Collison/Seth/Cousins
McLemore/Richardson

I can almost gaurantee you that would be the worst backcourt group in the league right now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So this kid we drafted at 13 only averaged around 12 min a game last year. How could he go that high on such limited floor time?

What's his story? Where the hell is Baja!!??
Baja is probably tipping back a few cervesas just like I am. And I doubt he saw much tape on Papagiannis. Like me, I think he mainly watches NCAA hoops.

Last edited:
Our backcourt is dry of ANY reliable NBA production at the moment, especially with Collison's off court issues.

As of right now our backcourt is, assuming we resign Seth

Collison/Seth/Cousins
McLemore/Richardson

I can almost gaurantee you that would be the worst backcourt group in the league right now.
We didn't improve a single position tonight, in terms of on court production next year.