2015 Draft Prospects:

Mudiay does have a jumpshot, its just effective beyond the arc right now. But his midrange jumper is pretty good. He's a good freethrow shooter, which usually bodes well down the road. Not always, but more often than not. Right now I'd say he reminds me of a cross between Tyreke Evans and Marcus Smart. But he's more athletic than either of them.

I agree on Russell. I see him as a PG in the NBA. He's going to be a special player. He makes playing the game look easy, and I don't have a problem with his athleticism. He's not a freak athlete, but he's a good athlete. My top four right now are, and in order are:

1. Okafor, C
2. Russell, PG
3. Towns, PF
4. Mudiay, PG
5. Johnson, SF
6. Cauley-Stein, C/PF
7. Porzingis, C
8. Turner, PF
9. Kaminsky, PF/C
10. Hezonja, SF/SG
11. Winslow, SF/SG
12. Looney, PF
13. Decker, SG/SF
14. Wood, PF

Thought I'd fill out the entire lottery. Wood probably won't go that high, but I really like him and he should. I know some have Oubre up in the lottery, but so far, he hasn't impressed me that much. I could be wrong. All I've seen of Porzingis and Hezonja is highlights,and some game film. From what I've seen, both are impressive. I was especially impressed with Hezonja's athleticism. But I'm certainly not an authority on either of them. I probably have Turner higher than he'll go as well, but once again, I think he's going to be a very good player.
There's no way the Kings can mess up if they draft in the top 6. Many people here want the Kings to lose their pick to the Bulls, but this pick can help us a lot..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Watching the Ohio St/Rutgers game. DeAngelo Russell at halftime has 17 points on 5 of 9 shooting. He's 3 of 6 from the three, has 6 rebounds, and 7 assists. Just another ho hum day at the office.... This kid is great!

Although I had the expectation we would lose our pick this year and finally be on our way to relevancy, that is obviously not the case. I think if we can land Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, Towns, Cauley-Stein, Porzingis, or Turner that we would be in great shape. I don't think we'll be lucky enough to be in a spot to draft Okafor, Russell, Mudiay, or Towns, but Cauley-Stein, Porzingis, or Turner could be very realistic options.

For instance, if we grab Turner, our core will look like this:

PG - Collison/McCallum
SG - McLemore/Stauskas
SF - Gay
PF - Turner/Moreland
C - Cousins/Thompson

You got your two stars (Cousins, Gay), a couple of productive, steady vets (Collison, Thompson), and a lot of young talent (McCallum, McLemore, Stauskas, Turner, Moreland) that will continue to progress with our franchise player (Cousins). This team could be very dangerous with patience.

On a side note, this draft has quite a few bigs who could be available when the Kings draft that can spread the floor while also providing defense and shotblocking. If there was ever a draft to find Cousins' running mate of the future, it would be this one.

I want Russell BADLY, but the way it's going it looks like there's going to be no possible way he's available when the Kings pick unless his stock really slides.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
wow I just saw Michael Ojo out of Florida State....he is a huge guy, 7'1 and is built like a tank. What are his chances of making the pros?

WCS + Cuz would be an amazing front court combo. Okafor on the other hand I have reservations to.
Many people want the FO to lose the draft pick and make this team crash and burn even more.. They think McLemore and Stauskas are failed picks..

A lot of people are unwilling to hear out how this draft pick could potentially help our team in 2016, because they're too blinded by their own hatred of this FO. It's literally gotten to the point where people call our GM a gerbil because they believe he looks like one..

Good luck trying to convince everyone that WCS being paired up to Cuz could be a game changer for our team...

A guy I haven't seen talked about much is LeBryan Nash. He came into the college game with a ton of hype, but after an underwhelming freshman season he's kind of flown under the radar. This season, he's averaged over 17 PPG with 5 RPG, way improved his defense and touch at the line, and looks to have a much better basketball IQ. Athletically he's a complete freak, sitting at 6'7 235 with an insane vert and good lateral quickness.

What do you think? Is he a prospect?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
A guy I haven't seen talked about much is LeBryan Nash. He came into the college game with a ton of hype, but after an underwhelming freshman season he's kind of flown under the radar. This season, he's averaged over 17 PPG with 5 RPG, way improved his defense and touch at the line, and looks to have a much better basketball IQ. Athletically he's a complete freak, sitting at 6'7 235 with an insane vert and good lateral quickness.

I liked Nash a lot two years ago. I actually thought he was a better prospect than his teammate Marcus Smart. I haven't seen a level of growth since then that makes me optimistic about his future though. He seems to have regressed substantially as a shooter (0-6 on threes last season, 2-18 this season) and it's very hard for anyone to stick around in the NBA at the wing positions without a passable outside jumper. I'd take a flyer on him in the second round, I love his athleticism and defensive potential, but I don't really have high hopes for him anymore.

Of the guys who don't attract a lot of attention, Tyrone Wallace at Cal is my sleeper pick. He had a bad shooting stretch in January which pushed him down draft boards a bit, but I like his all-around game and he has shown steady improvement year to year. I see him as as an Alec Burks type of combo guard who can potentially play both backcourt positions off the bench.

I go back and forth with D'Angelo Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay as to which is the better prospect. Russell passed Mudiay in my mind around the start of this year and he hasn't let up since. Trouble is, his stock is rising so fast he's now a top 3 pick most likely and that takes him out of our probable range with LA and New York both desperate for a quality PG. Russell is a steady floor general who wows you more with his consistency and his ability to see the floor (which is really special) than explosive physicality. He's flat out dominating college basketball right now as a freshman and he's got every skill necessary to be a top flight PG in the NBA.

On the other hand, it's hard to fairly rate Mudiay since he went down with an injury after only 10 games in the CBA. Averaging 18, 6, and 6 as an 18 year old in a professional league (albeit one that's probably a full step below the D league competitively) is damn impressive and his numbers probably would have been even better as he continued to adjust to the league. When I did see him play, he's got a fluidity to his game that is easy to project in the NBA. He really looks the part of an elite NBA PG prospect with how he moves on the court with and without the ball. Baja said he's like a cross between Tyreke Evans and Marcus Smart. I was going to say halfway between Tyreke Evans and John Wall, but it's more or less the same thing. He's quicker with the ball than Tyreke and a more bouncy athlete but his frame is smaller and he doesn't have the same defensive versatility (you're not going to want to see him guarding SFs at any point). His three-point jumper looks bad (the release point more so than the form), but he's also a more natural PG than Tyreke so you're looking at a true PG with one significant flaw and a whole lot of athletic gifts.

Fit-wise I've actually come the other way a bit. Mudiay's speed and creativity in the open court, ability to see over the defense and get the ball where he wants it, and defensive potential make him a nice fit for us I think. And I think he'll be available a couple spots lower on the draft board than Russell. If we're picking in the top 3 by some miracle, it would be hard for me to pass on Russell if he's still on the board though. Bottom line of course is that I'd love to have either of these guys on the team next year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If we do in fact wind up with Karl as a head coach and win juuuuust enough to wind up in the 7,8,9,10 range, Kristaps Porzingis seems just about as perfect for a George Karl team as anyone in this year's draft. Athletic for his height, a good outside shooter, I hate to make the comparison but I can see him as a Gallinari-esque player with the added bonus of having more defensive potential than him.

I wouldn't take him over a WCS if he was still available but I'd certainly take a flier on him before considering drafting another wingman as would be possible at that range (Hezonja, Oubre, Winslow)

Hezonja is much closer to Gallinari, than Porzingis is. Porzingis is what Bargnani was thought to be (he has same trouble with rebounding and overall physicality as well). And due to these problems he has no place on a team, that tries to make Cousins a winner. And neither does Stauskas. They should be assets to bring in less talented, but steady veterans. The only guys I would bring from this draft with some level of confidence in their positive impact right from the start are Russell (extremely talented all-around guard), WCS and RHJ (versatile defenders, who play well off the ball)

I also followed him very closely his freshman year when osu was on TV a lot. He's going to be a good pro player imo definitely under the radar like you said.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mentioned this a week or so ago...Nash is a one trick pony right now. He is a strong driver and has a NBA ready body right now but he needs to work on that jumpshot if he wants to have a shot of sticking on a roster, in my opinion.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Hezonja is much closer to Gallinari, than Porzingis is. Porzingis is what Bargnani was thought to be (he has same trouble with rebounding and overall physicality as well). And due to these problems he has no place on a team, that tries to make Cousins a winner. And neither does Stauskas. They should be assets to bring in less talented, but steady veterans. The only guys I would bring from this draft with some level of confidence in their positive impact right from the start are Russell (extremely talented all-around guard), WCS and RHJ (versatile defenders, who play well off the ball)
How did Stauskas get thrown into this mix? How does he not fit with Cousins? Give him another year of experience and he''ll be fine. I can't speak to either Hezonja or Porzingis since I don't have the ability to see them play on a regular basis. What's the matter with Karl Towns? He's shown to be a good defender and he's also a shot blocker. Do you not like him because he can also score the ball. I have no desire to make Cousins a winner. My desire is to make the team a winner. Period!!!!!!!! I'm sick to death with putting all the load on one player at the expense of the other players not being involved. And I'm not blaming Cousins. He's merely doing what their asking him to do. I do however agree that I would love to see Cauley-Stein next to Cousins.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I think he's a low 2nd round pick with a chance of not being drafted, although I do think someone will take a flyer on him. My question to you would be, is what position does he play? The dude can't shoot the ball and he's an athletic 6'7"player. His physical gifts along with his size would normally mean he's either a SF or a SG. But, he can't shoot the ball. This is his senior year, and in four years, he hasn't improved much at all. So he has no ceiling to speak of. I wouldn't draft him. If he was an absolute lock down defender, I might be interested, but he's not.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I mentioned this a week or so ago...Nash is a one trick pony right now. He is a strong driver and has a NBA ready body right now but he needs to work on that jumpshot if he wants to have a shot of sticking on a roster, in my opinion.
I think everything you just stated would be correct if he were a freshman, but he's a senior. He's had four years to work on his jumpshot, and it's gotten worse rather than better. If he were 6'10" instead of 6'7", he's probably be a first round pick. A lot of his scoring will go bye bye in the NBA. Once they figure out that they don't have to guard you on the perimeter, your in for tough time getting to the basket.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think everything you just stated would be correct if he were a freshman, but he's a senior. He's had four years to work on his jumpshot, and it's gotten worse rather than better. If he were 6'10" instead of 6'7", he's probably be a first round pick. A lot of his scoring will go bye bye in the NBA. Once they figure out that they don't have to guard you on the perimeter, your in for tough time getting to the basket.
He can always learn to be a respectable jump shooter...it's all about putting in the work. Some take longer to develop than others and to be honest...I don't see him as the type of player that will spend relentless hours in the gym putting up jumpshots. He might end up in the D-league or in Europe somewhere.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
watching this LSU Kentucky game...that boy Karl Towns is something special man, I know Okafor is going to be the number one pick but I would probably pick Towns. That length and that skill all ready is unreal...

watching this LSU Kentucky game...that boy Karl Towns is something special man, I know Okafor is going to be the number one pick but I would probably pick Towns. That length and that skill all ready is unreal...
We're currently 6th in drafting.... we're moving up slowly lol.

when I said "we" I didn't exactly mean the Kings per say...they won't have a chance at Karl Towns. I'm saying if I had the number 1 pick I am picking Karl Towns with it.
I think the Kings have a chance at the #1 pick...crazier things have happened..ex: Cleveland.

But in all honestly, neither do I.. probably little to none we get a pick in the top 3.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
it's not everyday you see a college basketball team score 100 points but Arkansas did it today...they are loaded with nice talent. They should be really fun to watch come tournament time. I did not know Michael Qualls can shoot the three ball...I've been watching him since last season and I don't ever remember him taking or making three's.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He can always learn to be a respectable jump shooter...it's all about putting in the work. Some take longer to develop than others and to be honest...I don't see him as the type of player that will spend relentless hours in the gym putting up jumpshots. He might end up in the D-league or in Europe somewhere.
You sort of made my point, when I said he hadn't improved in four years of college. What does that tell you? It tells me that he's not putting in the work, a common affliction among players that are extremely athletic.. On the other hand, you look at a guy like Chandler Parsons, who was an entirely different player his senior year than he was his freshman year. I have no use for lazy players, no matter how athletic they are.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
it's not everyday you see a college basketball team score 100 points but Arkansas did it today...they are loaded with nice talent. They should be really fun to watch come tournament time. I did not know Michael Qualls can shoot the three ball...I've been watching him since last season and I don't ever remember him taking or making three's.
I wouldn't base too much emphasis on one game. He's not a horrible outside shooter, but he's not great either. I think he's shooting around 32/33% from the three. The guy that makes that team tick is Portis. Arkansas has the misfortune of being in the same conference as Kentucky. But they'll make the tournament easily. I think they have the second best record in the SEC. Not sure how many at large berths the SEC will get, but if its just four, it looks like the four would be Kentucky, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss. If five, that fifth spot is up for grabs with around 4 teams on the bubble.

Does anyone think Ron Baker and Branden Dawson are vastly underrated players? Dawson I can understand because he has no range, but he's such an intelligent player for a hustle dude who still has a net positive on O. Baker has always been underrated because he doesn't pass the look test.

Also, look out for Jordan Bell at Oregon. That guy is really, really one to watch.

Christian Wood is a weird case. Seems like there's enough rebounding, shotblocking, and shooting ability to put something together, but he isn't all that moving the needle either offensively or defensively for the team. This can be a tantalizing lotto pick that ends up being a bust. We'll have to see.

Chris McCullough is one of those few college draftees who is actually a net negative for his team's offense. Buyer beware?

I'm not sold on Justise Winslow. He doesn't move the needle all that well on offense and defense, and he seems like a jack of all trades, master of none type so far.

How did Stauskas get thrown into this mix? How does he not fit with Cousins? Give him another year of experience and he''ll be fine. I can't speak to either Hezonja or Porzingis since I don't have the ability to see them play on a regular basis. What's the matter with Karl Towns? He's shown to be a good defender and he's also a shot blocker. Do you not like him because he can also score the ball. I have no desire to make Cousins a winner. My desire is to make the team a winner. Period!!!!!!!! I'm sick to death with putting all the load on one player at the expense of the other players not being involved. And I'm not blaming Cousins. He's merely doing what their asking him to do. I do however agree that I would love to see Cauley-Stein next to Cousins.
Stauskas is absolutely useless right now, and it's not reasonable to expect him to become a reliable cog next season. At the same time he has occasional flashes, and he will always shoot lights out, so he has value, which can be better used than him sitting on the bench until garbage time next season. Rookie bigs, who were one and done, are always minus defenders for a couple of years, and Towns is not a good one right now: he's a true C as far as quickness, and ability to defend in space are concerned, and for C he has very weak lower body. His shot-blocking is based on allowance by his coach to run around hunting for blocks regardless of such useless things like positioning and blocking out. Towns is still extremely talented and versatile offensive player, totally worth top pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Stauskas is absolutely useless right now, and it's not reasonable to expect him to become a reliable cog next season. At the same time he has occasional flashes, and he will always shoot lights out, so he has value, which can be better used than him sitting on the bench until garbage time next season. Rookie bigs, who were one and done, are always minus defenders for a couple of years, and Towns is not a good one right now: he's a true C as far as quickness, and ability to defend in space are concerned, and for C he has very weak lower body. His shot-blocking is based on allowance by his coach to run around hunting for blocks regardless of such useless things like positioning and blocking out. Towns is still extremely talented and versatile offensive player, totally worth top pick.
You know what, in regards to Towns, I don't want to be disrespectful, so I'm going to say nothing, other than I've seen him play in 15 games so far this season, and I respectfully disagree with you.