2015 Draft Prospects:

First of all, I agree with you on this coming draft. It looks to be a better draft than last year. At least on paper, and to my aging eye's. As to your question, that's a tough one. Contrary to what some on the forum might think, I really like Stauskas and think he'sll be a very good player. So to dodge a bit, I'll say that it would depend on who would be available at that spot I would be trading for, and I wouldn't do the trade until I knew I could get the player I wanted. I think Stauskas is capable of playing some SF and also some PG down the road. He's the kind of player I like. Multi-skilled. Those are the kind of players that win you games. I'd rather not trade him and find another way to acquire a pick. A year ago we could have had Cauley-Stein. Now some are projecting him into the top 6. I still doubt that, but you never know..
The only way the Kings can get a pick in next years draft is if they trade Nik or Ben. I hate Petrie..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the Kings are more than capable of getting themselves a second round pick...teams throw away second round picks all the time...it's up to the scouting department to do their best to find a gem in the second round because you can always find one that can help your team out in someway.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well never say never. Teams have sold bottom of the first round picks for around 3 mil. All you have to do is find someone willing to sell and make them an offer they can't refuse. 2nd rounders are even easier to acquire. But I want a first rounder. The Bulls hold our first round pick. Make them an offer of a guaranteed future 1st round pick and a future 2nd round pick along with McCallum for the total rights to our first round pick this year. See if they bite. There at just under 62 mil in total salaries next year after losing Boozer and with Butler becoming a restricted free agent. Butler is going to demand max money, so they might be willing to part with a 1st this year for a future first in order to save some money. At worse, maybe they give us their pick.

the Kings are more than capable of getting themselves a second round pick...teams throw away second round picks all the time...it's up to the scouting department to do their best to find a gem in the second round because you can always find one that can help your team out in someway.
This year, there will most likely be a lot of good 2nd rounders. I already have a few in mind.
Well never say never. Teams have sold bottom of the first round picks for around 3 mil. All you have to do is find someone willing to sell and make them an offer they can't refuse. 2nd rounders are even easier to acquire. But I want a first rounder. The Bulls hold our first round pick. Make them an offer of a guaranteed future 1st round pick and a future 2nd round pick along with McCallum for the total rights to our first round pick this year. See if they bite. There at just under 62 mil in total salaries next year after losing Boozer and with Butler becoming a restricted free agent. Butler is going to demand max money, so they might be willing to part with a 1st this year for a future first in order to save some money. At worse, maybe they give us their pick.
I don't think the FO offers something like that, because it just keeps pushing the mess. I think everyone in the NBA knows that this is a good draft, so I don't see too many teams trading their 1st rounders for cap space, or money.

It'll be very complicated to retain a 1st pick without giving up something

This year, there will most likely be a lot of good 2nd rounders. I already have a few in mind.

I don't think the FO offers something like that, because it just keeps pushing the mess. I think everyone in the NBA knows that this is a good draft, so I don't see too many teams trading their 1st rounders for cap space, or money.

It'll be very complicated to retain a 1st pick without giving up something
Maybe D'Alessandro's plan is to retain the Kings first by giving up on the season?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Two guys I've been watching this season and last season that could develop into something are Christian Wood, and Bobby Portis. Wood has the best chance of being a shotblocker, but Portis is more skilled overall right now. Portis is a good athlete, but Wood is a great athlete. Both guys are in the 6'10"range with shoes. Portis has really improved his outside shot. He's shooting 60% from the three. He's only averaging one three pointer per game, but he usually hits it. Both guys have strengths and weaknesses, but both have upside. While Portis isn't the shotblocker that Wood is, he gave Julius Randle all he could handle defensively last season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
watching Geathers from Baylor he is 6'6 I believe but my god he has to be at least 260-270 pounds if not more...he is so stocky and burly but at the same time is athletic...if only he were a little taller

watching Geathers from Baylor he is 6'6 I believe but my god he has to be at least 260-270 pounds if not more...he is so stocky and burly but at the same time is athletic...if only he were a little taller
I think he's a little bit taller than that, but the guy was grabbing every lose rebound.

Does anyone here know much about Nikola Jovanovic? Doesn't seem like he's a highly anticipated prospect in the NBA, but he stood out today vs UCLA. Serbian PF in his sophomore year for USC. He turned 21 earlier this month. It seems like he has a nice untapped potential. Doesn't have the size yet, but he's still a very interesting player.

Kyle Wiltjer is a great stretch 4. If he can build up his body more, he can be a good NBA stretch 4. Great shooter and good hustle player. He would be a great player to pick up in the 2nd round or UFA.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kyle Wiltjer is a great stretch 4. If he can build up his body more, he can be a good NBA stretch 4. Great shooter and good hustle player. He would be a great player to pick up in the 2nd round or UFA.
The only knock on Wiltjer is his athleticism. No doubt he can shoot the ball, but he really suffered on the defensive end. Ironically he would probably fit in better at Kentucky now, with its current roster than he did originally when he was there. However, as a 2nd round pick, or better yet, an undrafted freeagent, he might be a steal.

The only knock on Wiltjer is his athleticism. No doubt he can shoot the ball, but he really suffered on the defensive end. Ironically he would probably fit in better at Kentucky now, with its current roster than he did originally when he was there. However, as a 2nd round pick, or better yet, an undrafted freeagent, he might be a steal.
I think if he stayed at Kentucky, he would've had a limited touches because of all of their current players and talents. He made a name for himself again after sitting out. He will probably be the guy shooting up a few draft boards towards the end of the season...especially if he takes his team deep into March..

Right now, his stock is UFA but it'll probably rise up to somewhere in the 2nd round.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think if he stayed at Kentucky, he would've had a limited touches because of all of their current players and talents. He made a name for himself again after sitting out. He will probably be the guy shooting up a few draft boards towards the end of the season...especially if he takes his team deep into March..

Right now, his stock is UFA but it'll probably rise up to somewhere in the 2nd round.
First, I'd be surprised if Gonzaga doesn't go deep into the tournament, but I don't think Wiltjer will get all the credit. He's on a very good team. However I do think there's a chance he gets drafted. He's not totally a one trick pony. He's a good passer, and I think he could be a better rebounder if he really applied himself. Right now he's playing more like a SF, a position he's incapable of defending at the next level. He'd fit right in over in europe, but I think there's a place for him in the NBA with his shooting ability. Just a matter of finding the right team with the right system. If he gets stuck like Stauskas is right now, with few touches, he'll die on the vine.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'd like to know opinions on these guys:
1) Melo Trimble
2) Theo Pinson
3) Larry Nance, Jr.
4) Aaron White
5) Derrick Marks
6) Moses Kingsley
7) Josh Hart
8) Josh Scott
Well some of these guys I know because I watched them in particular, and others by osmosis. And a few not so much. Trimble has played very well this season, and has gotten a lot of minutes for a freshman. So far he's proved to be a very good shooter. He didn't start playing PG until his junior year of highschool, so he's still learning the position. I'd say it remains to be seen how good he can be at that position. I'd say he's just an average athlete, which could hurt him on the defensive side of the ball. If he aspires to be an NBA player, then I suggest he stay at Maryland for a couple of more years.

Theo Pinson is another freshman who is struggling to score from the outside, and has trouble finishing at the basket because of his lack of strength. He's only shooting in the low 20's from the three. He appears to be a good passer, and a very good athlete. Right now most of his potential is on the defensive side of the ball. He has a huge wingspan and is lightning quick with terrific lateral quickness. The question is, can he add muscle to a somewhat small frame? His jumpshot needs to be totally rebuilt from scratch.

Josh Hart from Villanova is one of my favorites. First started paying attention to him last season. Good athlete, with an incredible non-stop motor. So far this year he's shooting over 50% overall, and around 45% from the three. At 6'5" he has good size for the SG positon. He's a tough hardnosed kid who gets int there and battles for rebounds (he averaging 5.1 per game) and takes that same toughness to the defensive side of the ball as well. Very good defender with good lateral quickness. He's the kind of player that's a steal in the 2nd round and perhaps a potential starter in the NBA down the road.

Larry Nance Jr. is an interesting player. His knee seems to be OK having recovered from a torn ACL. He seems to still have serious hops. I guess I'm not sure what Nance Jr. is. His dad, who was a terrific player was a SF, but Juniors game seems to lend itself more to the PF position. He's a terrible outside shooter, but to his credit, he seems to know it and doesn't take many shots from there. He's a pretty good rebounder, and he blocks a few shots. He's a senior on the good Wyoming team, so what you see is probably what you get. He's a pretty good defender at the college level. It's a shame he was injured last season since he was having his best year. He's not his dad, but he's a pretty good player. How that translates to the next level is anyone's guess.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Georges Niang has so much Boris Diaw in his game...he needs to work on his conditioning and lose all that body fat he has but he has so much skill.

Well some of these guys I know because I watched them in particular, and others by osmosis. And a few not so much. Trimble has played very well this season, and has gotten a lot of minutes for a freshman. So far he's proved to be a very good shooter. He didn't start playing PG until his junior year of highschool, so he's still learning the position. I'd say it remains to be seen how good he can be at that position. I'd say he's just an average athlete, which could hurt him on the defensive side of the ball. If he aspires to be an NBA player, then I suggest he stay at Maryland for a couple of more years.
I like Trimble a lot. I agree, he lacks a degree of athleticism that you'd expect for guards, but he has an uncanny knack of James Hardening himself to the basket at least in the collegiate level. Doesn't have that level of passing, but he's a 19 year old freshman, so I don't think it matters too much at this stage. Threes+free throws=easiest way to generate offense. Many good guards his size that we see in the league today actually have similar comparables statistically, so I think that bodes well for someone like Trimble. Westbrook and Lillard certainly weren't tearing up back then (actually, Lillard's stats are actually somewhat similar to Trimble--something to note). Trimble also really hits free throws well. At this stage, I think the low end is Lou Williams, actually. I'm impressed.

Theo Pinson is another freshman who is struggling to score from the outside, and has trouble finishing at the basket because of his lack of strength. He's only shooting in the low 20's from the three. He appears to be a good passer, and a very good athlete. Right now most of his potential is on the defensive side of the ball. He has a huge wingspan and is lightning quick with terrific lateral quickness. The question is, can he add muscle to a somewhat small frame? His jumpshot needs to be totally rebuilt from scratch.
Completely broken offensive player, agreed there. But man, everything other than personal offense is a plus. Defense, athleticism, passing, rebounding--it's all there. He's very interesting. He's only a freshman so he can always improve that offense, but he has a lot of impressive qualities that just can't be taught or learned over time. One to watch, even if he might end up being Thabo Sefolosha.

Josh Hart from Villanova is one of my favorites. First started paying attention to him last season. Good athlete, with an incredible non-stop motor. So far this year he's shooting over 50% overall, and around 45% from the three. At 6'5" he has good size for the SG positon. He's a tough hardnosed kid who gets int there and battles for rebounds (he averaging 5.1 per game) and takes that same toughness to the defensive side of the ball as well. Very good defender with good lateral quickness. He's the kind of player that's a steal in the 2nd round and perhaps a potential starter in the NBA down the road.
I've tentatively pegged the guy as a late 1st rounder. Super efficient on O, inside and outside, excellent rebounder. Will be a role player, but an excellent one. He plays the right way.

Larry Nance Jr. is an interesting player. His knee seems to be OK having recovered from a torn ACL. He seems to still have serious hops. I guess I'm not sure what Nance Jr. is. His dad, who was a terrific player was a SF, but Juniors game seems to lend itself more to the PF position. He's a terrible outside shooter, but to his credit, he seems to know it and doesn't take many shots from there. He's a pretty good rebounder, and he blocks a few shots. He's a senior on the good Wyoming team, so what you see is probably what you get. He's a pretty good defender at the college level. It's a shame he was injured last season since he was having his best year. He's not his dad, but he's a pretty good player. How that translates to the next level is anyone's guess.
Nance has no long range jumper, but his short range is good. Per hoop-math, Nance shot 40.2% on 2-point jumpers last year, and is only 44.1% this year taking them on over half his attempts. Granted, these are short shots, but even at the 3-12 foot range there needs to some sort of skill to convert. And for someone who's extremely efficient at the rim, he's a solid free throw shooter (mid-70s). Add that to good rebounding and athletic production defensively, I think he's very interesting. He might be under the radar because the last good NBA player from Wyoming was Theo Ratliff, but this guy's bloodlines should already give him a chance. And his dunks are flashy, even after the ACL tear--there are times where you are reminded of Blake Griffin, and not just because of skin tone.

Aaron White is someone who kind of tantalizes. He's just a very active player. Very athletic, hyper efficient scoring at the rim, opportunistic both in transition and off-ball situations, and a foul drawing maniac. Those are things that just can't be taught. Some traditional bigs just struggle to draw fouls. Despite his long range woes, the guy has been steadily increasing his free throw percentage and his cumulative percentage lends hope that the jumper can improve. He takes so few threes collegiately for someone who can't block shots. I get it--he's a tweener--doesn't have the long ranger (yet?) to be a SF, and lacks the shotblocking and body frame for a PF. But if Tyler Hansbrough (a similar comparable) can be in the NBA, White is much better, and should be there.

Marks from Boise State is someone who doesn't do anything super well, but is having a very good senior year thus far, especially shooting the ball. Not much of a passer and his offense isn't very elastic, but still...the busted version of OJ Mayo that we see is a similar comparison. I'd take a mid-2nd flyer on him.

Kingsley is the shotblocker for Bobby Portis. Quick hands too. He really needs to bulk up, and his offense and rebounding are fairly average by position, but both show growth potential. He probably needs another year, but there's definitely first round potential here.

Others to look at--Cameron Payne (Murray State--he replaced Isaiah Canaan and is doing an excellent job), Chinanu Onuaku (rapidly developing center for Lousiville--to be honest, I like his long term potential more than Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Trimble a lot. I agree, he lacks a degree of athleticism that you'd expect for guards, but he has an uncanny knack of James Hardening himself to the basket at least in the collegiate level. Doesn't have that level of passing, but he's a 19 year old freshman, so I don't think it matters too much at this stage. Threes+free throws=easiest way to generate offense. Many good guards his size that we see in the league today actually have similar comparables statistically, so I think that bodes well for someone like Trimble. Westbrook and Lillard certainly weren't tearing up back then (actually, Lillard's stats are actually somewhat similar to Trimble--something to note). Trimble also really hits free throws well. At this stage, I think the low end is Lou Williams, actually. I'm impressed.

Completely broken offensive player, agreed there. But man, everything other than personal offense is a plus. Defense, athleticism, passing, rebounding--it's all there. He's very interesting. He's only a freshman so he can always improve that offense, but he has a lot of impressive qualities that just can't be taught or learned over time. One to watch, even if he might end up being Thabo Sefolosha.

I've tentatively pegged the guy as a late 1st rounder. Super efficient on O, inside and outside, excellent rebounder. Will be a role player, but an excellent one. He plays the right way.

Nance has no long range jumper, but his short range is good. Per hoop-math, Nance shot 40.2% on 2-point jumpers last year, and is only 44.1% this year taking them on over half his attempts. Granted, these are short shots, but even at the 3-12 foot range there needs to some sort of skill to convert. And for someone who's extremely efficient at the rim, he's a solid free throw shooter (mid-70s). Add that to good rebounding and athletic production defensively, I think he's very interesting. He might be under the radar because the last good NBA player from Wyoming was Theo Ratliff, but this guy's bloodlines should already give him a chance. And his dunks are flashy, even after the ACL tear--there are times where you are reminded of Blake Griffin, and not just because of skin tone.

Aaron White is someone who kind of tantalizes. He's just a very active player. Very athletic, hyper efficient scoring at the rim, opportunistic both in transition and off-ball situations, and a foul drawing maniac. Those are things that just can't be taught. Some traditional bigs just struggle to draw fouls. Despite his long range woes, the guy has been steadily increasing his free throw percentage and his cumulative percentage lends hope that the jumper can improve. He takes so few threes collegiately for someone who can't block shots. I get it--he's a tweener--doesn't have the long ranger (yet?) to be a SF, and lacks the shotblocking and body frame for a PF. But if Tyler Hansbrough (a similar comparable) can be in the NBA, White is much better, and should be there.

Marks from Boise State is someone who doesn't do anything super well, but is having a very good senior year thus far, especially shooting the ball. Not much of a passer and his offense isn't very elastic, but still...the busted version of OJ Mayo that we see is a similar comparison. I'd take a mid-2nd flyer on him.

Kingsley is the shotblocker for Bobby Portis. Quick hands too. He really needs to bulk up, and his offense and rebounding are fairly average by position, but both show growth potential. He probably needs another year, but there's definitely first round potential here.

Others to look at--Cameron Payne (Murray State--he replaced Isaiah Canaan and is doing an excellent job), Chinanu Onuaku (rapidly developing center for Lousiville--to be honest, I like his long term potential more than Terry Rozier and Montrezl Harrell).
Onuaku is someone I've been watching quite a bit. There's a lot of potential there. He's been very inconsistent though, usually because of foul trouble. The problem I have with Marks of Boise St. is his lack of athleticism. If your 6'2'/6'3", you'd better be athletic, or be Steve Nash like. He's neither. He's definitely shooting lights out, but that's about all.

Funny, I was going to say that Nance reminded me a bit of Griffin at times, but decided not to. The jury is still out for me on White, and I've certainly had plenty of time to make up my mind. If I had to guess, I'd say he goes undrafted. In a different draft weak on big men, he might have been drafted, but not in this draft. I'm sure he'll get some invites to summer league, and training camp by some teams.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This class is boring. I've watched Okafor extensively, but I haven't really paid attention to anyone else.
Just curious, if you haven't watched anyone else, how then can you say that this class is boring?? This class actually may end up being a better class than last years class. Especially if your looking for big men. It's loaded with bigs. Good class for SF's as well. Okafor is going to be a very good player. He's mostly a post player, but is very good in that area. Great footwork, and quicker in his movements than you'd think because of his size. Plus, he's legit center size. From the Kings point of view, he's not someone you'd put next to Cousins because he has a similar game, but if you somehow end up with the first pick in the draft, I don't see how you pass on him. The other option of course would be to trade down a couple of places and then pick up Cauley Stein, or Karl Towns, both of whom would be a good fit.

By the way, remember that although we could end up by seasons end in the 11th or 12th spot, which would cause us to lose our pick, we would still be in the lottery, and if for some ungodly reason we were to move up into the top three, we would then keep our pick. So there's always that chance at a miracle.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know his name off the top of my head but he is a shot blocking big for St. John's....he wears short shorts. I think he can be a steal for someone, he has good instincts the couple of times I've watched St. John's games.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know his name off the top of my head but he is a shot blocking big for St. John's....he wears short shorts. I think he can be a steal for someone, he has good instincts the couple of times I've watched St. John's games.
Your probably referring to Chris Obekpa. There's no doubt he's a defensive presence, his problem has been offensively. But he is improving. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.. He's got a great body and he's athletic.

BTW, anyone like Gary Payton, Jr? Not just because of the bloodlines--yeah I know--but this guy is legit. He's basically like Delon Wright of last year--transfer, make a huge impact.

Wesley Saunders of Harvard really impresses me as well. We need another Harvard guy in the league. Rayvonte Rice of Illinois is also another to watch.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Looking locally, Corey Hawkins is one of those dudes that I can see sneaking into the NBA undrafted and somehow forging out an NBA career. An undersized shooting guard but, unsurprising considering his pedigree (his father is Hersey Hawkins), he's a fantastic scorer and generally a hard worker. If Marcus Thornton can make it in the NBA, it's not out of the question that Hawkins could as well.

Coincidentally, I could also see him thriving in Reno's WTF system.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Thanks, Baja, for diligently working on these player scouting reports. At the beginning of the year, it looked like it could all be for naught. But now it looks that the Kings have a legitimate shot at the 6-8 ping pong ball slot. I think the Prospect link is going to get a lot more hits pretty soon.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If we get a top 5 pick, I want D'Angello Russell. He's going to be in the group of the next top 5 PGs.
I'm really impressed with D'Angelo Russell as well. I'm not convinced he should go over Okafor, and I know there's a lot of support among scouts for Mudiay, who I've only seen a few clips of (reminds me somewhat of Tyreke, actually). So Russell may not have much of a chance of going top-two. I don't think we have any chance of a 4/5 pick - either we hit the lotto and get 1/2/3 or we don't and we sit between about 8 and our pick going to Chicago. So I'd guess that if we were to get Russell, it might have to be at #3 or via a trade. Just a guess.