1st preseason game

I always knew Thornton wouldn't accept a bench role, he has an ego on a bad team. If this is the starting on the season opener, Smart has failed as a coach.

Also it says "gamenotes", it could be from a program or something? Being the first pre season maybe they assume we will use the same lineup from last season.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Red flags continue to pop up.

Ignore them if you wish. Smart is no Popovich. Had an entire off season to get away from this small ball yet here we are. Sure you can say it's only the first game. Could also say Smart's going back to small ball and Reke out of position the first opportunity he gets.

The roster limitation argument is no longer a valid excuse.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I always knew Thornton wouldn't accept a bench role, he has an ego on a bad team. If this is the starting on the season opener, Smart has failed as a coach.
We don't know if this has anything to do with MT accepting a bench role. If you asked a player to accept a role, and he said no, why would you reward him with a starting spot? I'd wager it's more likely Smart has no balls and hasn't defined MT's role yet, or Reke's for that matter since he's at SF to start. Time is a wasting.....

if this is gonna be the lineup again then im preparing myself for another 25 win season. Reke clearly doesnt like playing SF and we are clearly undersized. Why cant smart see that? i cant believe petrie is accepting this.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

Who says this is the reason? How about this, if they're fighting over the shooting guard spot how about they have a SHOOTING contest and see who fills the teams needs.

Personally give me that triangle they're working on and put Reke at PG.

Who says this is the reason? How about this, if they're fighting over the shooting guard spot how about they have a SHOOTING contest and see who fills the teams needs.

Personally give me that triangle they're working on and put Reke at PG.
Seriously? Francisco Garcia or Jimmer would be our starting SG if that were the case.

Also it says "gamenotes", it could be from a program or something? Being the first pre season maybe they assume we will use the same lineup from last season.
This is almost what always happens if all the starters from the previous season are still on the team. I doubt that Smart has declared a starting lineup, so they just list last season's lineup. I have even seen this happen in the past when one of the starters was no longer with the team.

This was inevitable the minute they signed Brooks. Even off the bench, if MT were to get close to 30 min, it would come at the cost of Tyreke playing at least 15min at SF, not even taking into account Jimmer gettting any PT.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And I'm not talking about the so called starting lineup. I'm talking about the ridiculous responses to that tweet. If anyone has taken the time to listen to the daily interviews with Smart, they would know that he said he was going to experiment with several different lineups during the preseason games. He wants to mix and match to see who works best with who. Thats what preseason is for. We haven't even played a game yet, and some of you are sounding suicidal. The game is televised on NBA TV. So just relax, have a cervesa and enjoy. If your 21!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And I'm not talking about the so called starting lineup. I'm talking about the ridiculous responses to that tweet. If anyone has taken the time to listen to the daily interviews with Smart, they would know that he said he was going to experiment with several different lineups during the preseason games. He wants to mix and match to see who works best with who. Thats what preseason is for. We haven't even played a game yet, and some of you are sounding suicidal. The game is televised on NBA TV. So just relax, have a cervesa and enjoy. If your 21!
Are you sure about the NBATV thing? It's not showing up on my guide.

Yeah sure, there's no talent gap in that group at all is there. :confused:
Well, if shooting is all it takes to be a starting shooting guard then I don't see why we shouldn't start Jimmer. Unless you're saying that Thornton is as good as Evans in every other aspect, and so they should just shoot it out to see who starts.

We don't know if this has anything to do with MT accepting a bench role. If you asked a player to accept a role, and he said no, why would you reward him with a starting spot? I'd wager it's more likely Smart has no balls and hasn't defined MT's role yet, or Reke's for that matter since he's at SF to start. Time is a wasting.....
don't you remember?
Smart said he doesn't want to assign roles. If reke need to play the 5, he'll play the 5.

FREEEEEDOOOMM!

If my goal of trading Thornton and/or Fredette before the season starts is part of the Kings plans/hopes then they would start and play Thornton a lot and they would pump Fredette's perfornance in camp. Sounds like there is hope yet.

If my goal of trading Thornton and/or Fredette before the season starts is part of the Kings plans/hopes then they would start and play Thornton a lot and they would pump Fredette's perfornance in camp. Sounds like there is hope yet.
Well, I've heard teammates comment on Fredette's camp performance, and I doubt they are in on the "pumping" process. I think he just had a good camp, and anything relative to last year's performance could be considered "good" so it kind of dilutes the strength of the acknowledgment.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I mostly agree. The problem is that we know that 3 guard lineup was pretty bad for a variety of reasons. He can tinker with the lineup all he wants, but if he's tinkering with the same flawed premise as last year, well, he's insane. (Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.)

I'm guessing that it's a lineup from last year, just pasted over. No way he starts with Evans at the SF....

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I mostly agree. The problem is that we know that 3 guard lineup was pretty bad for a variety of reasons. He can tinker with the lineup all he wants, but if he's tinkering with the same flawed premise as last year, well, he's insane. (Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.)

I'm guessing that it's a lineup from last year, just pasted over. No way he starts with Evans at the SF....
That's what I don't get. Smart had numerous games with that lineup last year, so really there's nothing to try out. It's been tried. Time to try something different.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

If thats the starting lineup for the start of the season, then I'll be upset with everyone else. But until then, I'll take a wait and see attitude. There is no one on this fourm that was more upset with Tyreke playing at the SF position. I sort of understood why he did it, but I didn't like it. I'm a firm beliver in playing a player to his strengths. And SF is the worse possible position for Tyreke. You want to play him there in situations that might be advantagious, fine! But not as a starter, or on any regular basis.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If thats the starting lineup for the start of the season, then I'll be upset with everyone else. But until then, I'll take a wait and see attitude. There is no one on this fourm that was more upset with Tyreke playing at the SF position. I sort of understood why he did it, but I didn't like it. I'm a firm beliver in playing a player to his strengths. And SF is the worse possible position for Tyreke. You want to play him there in situations that might be advantagious, fine! But not as a starter, or on any regular basis.
Don't jinx him! He could still play some PF in spurts, as Smart alluded too last week.

But I do agree, while I personally see a number of red flags, I won't get bent out of shape unless we see this on opening night.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I dunno. To me, tinkering with lineups should mostly involve substitution patterns. I see preseason as a time to figure out which combination of players works best together, so you can have effective lineups during the season. I don't think it should be positional tinkering. Whether Robinson is a SF or PF I guess is still up in the air, but other than that, I wouldn't use this time to fart around with Smartball™ or anything else that puts Evans at the 5.

My thoughts are that this time would best be used to see:
- What guard combinations could be most effective during the season? (IT/MT/AB/TE/JF/JS)
- Which SF will get the bulk of the playing time (even with Johnson, I see this position as still up for grabs)
- How the Hayes/JT/Cousins rotation work? Is Robinson in this rotation as well?

Well, if shooting is all it takes to be a starting shooting guard then I don't see why we shouldn't start Jimmer. Unless you're saying that Thornton is as good as Evans in every other aspect, and so they should just shoot it out to see who starts.
I wrote what I wrote, reading any more into that is up to that individual. Almost as much as implying that the refusal of somebody coming off the bench without any fact or basis to support that claim is the reason Smart has kept his starting lineup the same. There are two clear starting options at SG, like I said, at that point maybe the most IMPORTANT aspect of what you need should be the deciding factor if it truly is a battle for court time.

Begging the question. What is the "most IMPORTANT aspect" of what you need? And who decides?

Which is an easy question to answer. Need, performance, and how it relates to the way you want to play. The coach dictates how the team should play and hopefully bases it around the idea of what style best suites the best players on his team, or "core". If you want to spread the floor as is being indicated by the coach the ability to shoot the ball is a key ingredient, without it, good luck. Sometimes it could even be a question of taking less overall talent at a position to fill that particular skill you seek in order to raise the level of proficiency in the area of that needed skill. In terms of talent I think there is a clear level of distance between the two individuals discussed and their counterparts so it's a starting point if it's an issue of two players vying for the same position, but the question should be answered in some way, shape, or form even if that means neither are the "answer".