Updated Lineup

Maybe instead of starting line-up, we can go minute distribution per game per position???

PG: Evans (36mins) / Udrih (12mins) / Jeter (Garbage Mins)
SG: Garcia (29mins) / Udrih (13mins) / Wright (6mins)
SF: Greene (24mins) / Casspi (24mins)
PF: Landry (24mins) / Thompson (24mins) / Whiteside (Garbage Mins)
C: Dalembert (25mins) / Cousins (23mins)

PLEASE KEEP TYREKE AT PG..........I just dont understand why even Kings fans peg him as a SG. He has improved his handles and his assists per game was in the 8's near the end of last season. The kid is 20...(or 21??), he is our PG now and for the future. Beno is not going to displace him....he is not good enough for us to move Tyreke to SG. Unless we somehow land CP3, D-Will, Wall or Rose, Tyreke is staying at PG, ESPECIALLY with a guy like Garcia beside him.

Thank you,

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Looks like maybe this thread evolved to which group of 5 Kings would make the best team.
It comes down to what you believe is most important to success.
Some believe that Veteran presence is key. Not to beat a dead horse but the most experienced guys we have haven't shown ability to win so I discount value of veteran experience for our team altogether. Time for change.

Some believe scoring is most important so Landry should start. Again we did fine scoring last year but people always outscore us so we always lose.

Some believe size is very important and I would agree there is some truth to that. The Lakers starting lineup is the biggest in the league. Ron Artest at 260 lbs at SF, Pau at 7' and 250 lbs is as long as you can get for PF. Bynum at 7' and 285 lbs is a load. They dominate the boards and shotblocking and win big for a reason.

I think that scoring is what a lot of teams in the NBA can do but few are really solid on defense.

With Dally and Cousins we have that balance of defense and scoring with Lakers size.
At 6'11" and 250 lbs Dally is really PF size rather than Center and Cousins is definitely Center size. I don't see why Dally and Cousins wouldn't make the best combo of size, defense and scoring for us.
So best 5 are:
Evans, Garcia/Beno, Donte, Dally, Cousins.
I believe that Beno is more consistent than Garcia on offense but Garcia is better on defense so it's a draw in my book. I just believe that defense is really important and that you got to have the right size to avoid mismatches on defense.
Besides Garcia, we have a great deal with salaries for our talent. I just want the Kings to show that they can still kick butt without high salaried guys so they can get a superstar veteran to jump on bandwagon next year to lead us to some championships.
Why is it so hard to understand that Sam is not a PF? His skills are in the paint playing goaltender and garbageman. Please stop trying to move him to a position where his skills aren't used to their fullest extent.

We have 2 centers - Sam and Boogie. What is so hard to understand that we will need them both to play there? Spot minutes at the 4, maybe. But playing them there is dumb when you have Landry, Thompson, and Whiteside that are all 4s. Thompson can play some center, but the others cannot. It really is just common sense.....

Same with everyone trying to move Evans to the 2. Makes no sense and takes away the advantage you have at that position.

Maybe instead of starting line-up, we can go minute distribution per game per position???

PLEASE KEEP TYREKE AT PG..........I just dont understand why even Kings fans peg him as a SG. He has improved his handles and his assists per game was in the 8's near the end of last season. The kid is 20...(or 21??), he is our PG now and for the future. Beno is not going to displace him....he is not good enough for us to move Tyreke to SG. Unless we somehow land CP3, D-Will, Wall or Rose, Tyreke is staying at PG, ESPECIALLY with a guy like Garcia beside him.

Thank you,
That's the line-up I'm hoping for but I agree you leave Tyreke at the PG because that's what he is and before Beno was put beside him does anyone remember PG's had no choice but to defend him and he ate them up!

It says something when those players don't want to have to defend you.

Johnny Flynn: I didn't know I'd have to guard Lebron James

Gilbert Arenas: I’m considered a big guard in this league and going against Tyreke I felt little tonight.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I agree that this is a logical way to look at projections. I like to think in terms of projected minutes rather than minutes per game, because if you look at MPG it always adds up to more than you think (due to the fact that missed games don't enter into the averages). You can basically count on each position on the floor getting 4000 minutes a year (it's a tiny bit lower than that, but not worth worrying about). Right now I guess that the minutes might divide up about like this:

PG: Evans 2900, Udrih 1000, Jeter 100
SG: Garcia 2000, Udrih 1300, Wright 500, Casspi 200
SF: Greene 2100, Casspi 1900
PF: Landry 2200, Thompson 1400, Whiteside 400
C: Dalembert 1800, Cousins 1800, Thompson 400

That would mean we'd see the following splits per player:
Evans 2900
Udrih 2400
Landry 2200
Greene 2100
Casspi 2100
Garcia 2000
Dalembert 1800
Cousins 1800
Thompson 1800
Wright 500
Whiteside 400
Jeter 100

Since only 11 players in the whole league made 3000 minutes last year (including not LeBron!) I think Evans' minutes are reasonable. But it does become evident how difficult it will be to distribute minutes in our frontcourt when doing an exercise like this. Landry and Thompson are getting cut in minutes (Thompson by about 500) and we still don't have a lot of time for Cousins, Dalembert, or (especially) Whiteside.

I guess having too many players you want on the floor is a preferable problem to the alternative.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
LOL. Point guards dont necessarily always "point," and shooting guards don't necessarily ahve to be able to shoot. Your fascination with the definition of root words denoting how players play is more than a little scary to a fellow Kings fan.
Just had to chime in on this one, it's too big a point to ignore. Totally agree first with the comment. An offense is two distinct parts: transition, and half court set.

For a fast break to work it must have players who are or can get "out in front" and who can pass and handle the ball. How many times I've seen JT get out on a break is more than we can count. You can't wait for a PG to lead a break if he has gotten down low, as Tyreke does guarding other driving guards. There are a lot of "point forwards" who lead breaks based on their positions on defense. Transition ball is the ultimate "TEAM" game. With Dalembert and DMC provide the Kings have the best chance since CWebb/Vlade days to get rebounds that lead to breaks and transition ball.

Once a team gets into a half-court set then some one has to recognize the situation and start a play set. But if the other 4 players are not moving without the ball or are not actively helping, then a PG faces 2 problems: a defense that can easily collasp to make a drive difficult or impossible, or having to make a more difficuly jumper from outside. When a team has a natural PG (Billups, Paul, Williams, Nash, etc) then they run their offense thru him. When you have excellent high post centers (Divac, Miller, Sabonis, etc) then it fits to run your offense thru them. Anyone can get the ball to a high post guy who is 7-ft tall! But then the "TEAM" has to take advantage by moving without the ball. Tyreke has guard skills across the board. Once he develops a pull-up jumper, then he becomes our all-star as a guard. Period.

So, if the top 10 Kings can run, handle the ball and see the floor, and Dalem/DMC get the rebounds, their transition game will increase by 300%, the wins will increase as will confidence, and it won't matter what the guards are called.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
And BTW, Garcia will not start at the 2-guard. He is too valuable off-the-bench where he can see what is needed when he does come in. Again, too many on this thread are hung up on who starts. I'm more interested in who is on the floor in the 4th quarter to win games.

With all due respect, I think you're confusing PF with SF. Garnett, Gasol, Duncan and Amare are all scorers in the paint. I would not say that any of those guys are much quicker than Dally. Dally is actually quicker than average PF to tell you the truth.
Nope, haha. It's pretty hard to confuse 2 positions... To your surprise, Duncan is actually a center and has been for most of his career no matter where he was listed at. Gasol also played C for much of his career. Now Garnett in his prime and Amare blow by Dalembert no question and it isn't even close. Dally is quicker than your average PF? Don't think so buddy. But it isn't even just quickness. It's that he would have to go at least to the elbow on defense bringing him away from where he needs to be to protect the basket.

Why is it so hard to understand that Sam is not a PF? His skills are in the paint playing goaltender and garbageman. Please stop trying to move him to a position where his skills aren't used to their fullest extent.

We have 2 centers - Sam and Boogie. What is so hard to understand that we will need them both to play there? Spot minutes at the 4, maybe. But playing them there is dumb when you have Landry, Thompson, and Whiteside that are all 4s. Thompson can play some center, but the others cannot. It really is just common sense.....

Same with everyone trying to move Evans to the 2. Makes no sense and takes away the advantage you have at that position.
Totally agree. Some think that by putting Sam at PF, he can still block all the same shots and play goalie. Not gonna happen. I know people are overwhelmed that we actually have some centers on our team, but they are just that, CENTERS. Both are pure centers. I don't understand the people trying to move either (there are some trying to move Boogie to PF) out of their position. Hey, how about we run a lineup of 5 centers! Then we can get 5 times the rebounds and 5 times the blocks! No one will ever score in the paint on us!

Also, on ESPN depth charts it has: Reke, Garcia, Casspi, Landry, Dalembert.
http://espn.go.com/nba/depth

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
And BTW, Garcia will not start at the 2-guard. He is too valuable off-the-bench where he can see what is needed when he does come in. Again, too many on this thread are hung up on who starts. I'm more interested in who is on the floor in the 4th quarter to win games.
I think he will start at the 2 to complement Evans. Then we can rotate in Beno at either guard position and maybe swing Omri/Donte or Wright in there at the two as well as needed. I still think we will pick up another 2 guard (or 2-3 G-F like Garcia) before the season starts to fill in the backup 2 hole.

Actually starting him can help with his stamina. The more he sits on the bench the fatter he'll get. Plus, Evans did great starting last year so why the heck can't we start Cousins? We have nothing to lose. When you draft a guy at #5 and you just came off a horrible year, you better start you pick or the GM really screwed up. I remember how I liked Gerald Wallace for so long but he never got a chance to start so he never really developed in Sacto. Once he went to Bobcats he got to start and blossomed.
Gerald Wallace was a raw small forward with no shot on a team that valued finesse and jumpshooting. And guess who was directly in front of him? A jumpshooting finesse player that had the nerve to average 25ppg the season before Gerald was drafted away. The situations are not synonymous.

Furthermore, no one is talking about burying Cousins at the end of the bench. I'm not worried about his weight, I'm worried about his conditioning. For a top five pick, he didn't play very many minutes last season in college. His stamina and endurance are going to be substandard at the beginning of the season, and as with every rookie, he's going to have a hard time getting through the 82 game schedule (double the college season). Easing him into things -- which includes bringing him in off the bench in a set role at the beginning of the year -- will allow him to play hard without worrying about saving himself for the end of the game. And then, at the end of the year, when he's worked his way up to 35+ minutes a game, and he hasn't totally worn himself out by mid January, he'll be ready to make a strong push to close the year out. That's going to be essential if it's in the team's plans to move Dalembert, because then the starting spot will be Cousins' to take control of.

I look forward to seeing him be the starting center for many years, and there's no reason that can't begin at some point this season. I just don't think it's necessary or even smart to throw him out there playing big minutes right away, knowing that his stamina isn't where it needs to be.

Totally agree. Some think that by putting Sam at PF, he can still block all the same shots and play goalie. Not gonna happen. I know people are overwhelmed that we actually have some centers on our team, but they are just that, CENTERS. Both are pure centers. I don't understand the people trying to move either (there are some trying to move Boogie to PF) out of their position. Hey, how about we run a lineup of 5 centers! Then we can get 5 times the rebounds and 5 times the blocks! No one will ever score in the paint on us!

Also, on ESPN depth charts it has: Reke, Garcia, Casspi, Landry, Dalembert.
http://espn.go.com/nba/depth
When we play a big team like the Lakers, I have no problem seeing Dalembert and Cousins playing big minutes together. That would be ideal, actually. But it's all about matchups.

confused again

Nope, haha. It's pretty hard to confuse 2 positions... To your surprise, Duncan is actually a center and has been for most of his career no matter where he was listed at. Gasol also played C for much of his career. Now Garnett in his prime and Amare blow by Dalembert no question and it isn't even close. Dally is quicker than your average PF? Don't think so buddy. But it isn't even just quickness. It's that he would have to go at least to the elbow on defense bringing him away from where he needs to be to protect the basket.
Duncan is not a center. He's listed a forward and has always played PF. Now you confuse PF with Center. Gasol is PF also.
You're worrying about PF shooting 3pt? Do you ever even watch a NBA game?

Duncan is not a center. He's listed a forward and has always played PF. Now you confuse PF with Center. Gasol is PF also.
If you're going to classify a player's position based on what they're listed as, then we might as well end this discussion right now (not that we haven't had it enough times already over the past month). Dalembert is and always has been listed as a center. No need to debate, right? He's a center. Play him there.

I am not completely sure if you are just trying to troll me now, but I'll go for the bait...

I don't know if you just stare at the box score all day, but Duncan is notorious for being listed as a PF while playing the center position. If you would like me to explain it further, then here it is: Tim Duncan guards opposing Cs, plays with a PF (Bonner, McDyess, etc.). For Pau, yes he plays PF for the Lakers when Bynum is on the floor, but he has played C for much of his career and did when Bynum was hurt.

For the PF shooting 3s try: Nowitzki, Dirk; Green, Jeff; Lewis, Rashard; Murphy, Troy; Bargnani, Andrea; Wallace, Rasheed; Odom, Lamar; Ilyasova, Ersan; Bonner, Matt; Thomas, Tim; Jamison, Antawn; Villanueva, Charlie; Aldridge, Lamarcus; Randolph, Zach

That probably isn't even all of them...

I am not completely sure if you are just trying to troll me now, but I'll go for the bait...

I don't know if you just stare at the box score all day, but Duncan is notorious for being listed as a PF while playing the center position. If you would like me to explain it further, then here it is: Tim Duncan guards opposing Cs, plays with a PF (Bonner, McDyess, etc.). For Pau, yes he plays PF for the Lakers when Bynum is on the floor, but he has played C for much of his career and did when Bynum was hurt.

For the PF shooting 3s try: Nowitzki, Dirk; Green, Jeff; Lewis, Rashard; Murphy, Troy; Bargnani, Andrea; Wallace, Rasheed; Odom, Lamar; Ilyasova, Ersan; Bonner, Matt; Thomas, Tim; Jamison, Antawn; Villanueva, Charlie; Aldridge, Lamarcus; Randolph, Zach

You're reaching with Randolph, and just off with Aldridge. The two of them combined for less than 70 three point attempts last season in 159 games. They aren't three point shooters.

This further proves that you are confused. I'm going to let this one go.

This further proves that you are confused. I'm going to let this one go.
Care to further explain? You have done nothing but say that I am confused. I believe that is considered trolling my good sir. Be ready to be ignored by many people acting this way.

To Superman: Yeah, ok those 2 were reaches. But they are still can stroke it from outside consistently (maybe not 3 point range that often), but my point is still proven with all of the others (and probably more that I can't think of right now).

Edit: Ahh, totally forgot about Channing Frye. There's another one. Also, even our own Donte Greene can play PF and can stroke it pretty dang well from deep. There we go, 2 making up for the 2 I reached for.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sorry my friend, Duncan has really played center for most of his career. He also played center in college. The only time one could argue that maybe he played PF was when he shared the floor with David Robinson. Other than that, he's played the center position. Its all semantics of course, and if you want to call him a C/PF that would be fair. I think the point everyone is trying to make is that if you put Dalembert out at the top of the key and have him try to guard a Paul Millsap, or an Amare Stoudemire, he's going to get eaten alive. And if you don't believe me just go and watch reruns of the playoff series between the Suns and the Spurs. Duncan tried to guard Amare out there and got killed. Trust me, Dalembert would suffer the same fate.

But what I simply don't understand, is why anyone wants to take a player whose strengh is shotblocking and rebounding, and move him away from where he's most effective. And thats in the post. I just don't see the point. We finally have two legitimate centers and two legitimate PF's not counting Whiteside, and people want to screw it all up by making one of our centers into a PF when we don't need to.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There really aren't many starting caliber 3pt shooting PFs in the league -- that is a myth. And even fewer who have had any success. I went through the list a year or two ago in a debate about whether having 3pt shooting from a power player was important despite the fact that there have only been three championship frontcourt starters (Sheed, Horry and Laimbeer) in NBA history who relied on that shot. Even Dirk, so often pointed to, dramatically curtailed his 3pt shooting once he got away from Nellie and started making serious title pushes.

There are reasons why Dalembert/Cousins looks awkward, but its not because I am afraid of some 6'10" 3pt shooting wuss running out to the three point line and chucking shots. Let them. It rarely wins ballgames. Certainly not so often as dominating the boards and interior does.

There really aren't many starting caliber 3pt shooting PFs in the league -- that is a myth. And even fewer who have had any success. I went through the list a year or two ago in a debate about whether having 3pt shooting from a power player was important despite the fact that there have only been three championship frontcourt starters (Sheed, Horry and Laimbeer) in NBA history who relied on that shot. Even Dirk, so often pointed to, dramatically curtailed his 3pt shooting once he got away from Nellie and started making serious title pushes.

There are reasons why Dalembert/Cousins looks awkward, but its not because I am afraid of some 6'10" 3pt shooting wuss running out to the three point line and chucking shots. Let them. It rarely wins ballgames. Certainly not so often as dominating the boards and interior does.
Whether they do so effectively or not isn't really the point. It's that having Dalembert watching Channing Frye as he lurks around the perimeter waiting for a kickout basically nullifies the whole reason you want Dalembert on the floor in the first place. Not to mention having him guard a guy that can break him down off the dribble, like Lamar Odom, Dirk Nowitzki, Lamarcus Aldridge, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, etc. He can't be a deterrent if he's away from the basket, nor can he be a good defensive rebounder. Those are his biggest strengths, and they are basically wiped out if you have him guarding a perimeter-oriented power forward.

I have no doubt that Westphal won't have Dalembert or Cousins guarding any of those guys for any extended period of time, barring injury to the FOUR OTHER PLAYERS on our roster that would be better suited for that assignment, so it's not really an issue. At least until someone suggests (again, for the 100th time) that Dalembert is really a power forward.

Whether they do so effectively or not isn't really the point. It's that having Dalembert watching Channing Frye as he lurks around the perimeter waiting for a kickout basically nullifies the whole reason you want Dalembert on the floor in the first place. Not to mention having him guard a guy that can break him down off the dribble, like Lamar Odom, Dirk Nowitzki, Lamarcus Aldridge, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, etc. He can't be a deterrent if he's away from the basket, nor can he be a good defensive rebounder. Those are his biggest strengths, and they are basically wiped out if you have him guarding a perimeter-oriented power forward.

I have no doubt that Westphal won't have Dalembert or Cousins guarding any of those guys for any extended period of time, barring injury to the FOUR OTHER PLAYERS on our roster that would be better suited for that assignment, so it's not really an issue. At least until someone suggests (again, for the 100th time) that Dalembert is really a power forward.
Supes, calm down. In this whole debate in this thread and others I don't think anyone has stated that Dally really is a power forward. That is different than suggesting that Dally/Cousins might be an interesting defensive combo (against certain teams), which is what I have stated.

Supes, calm down. In this whole debate in this thread and others I don't think anyone has stated that Dally really is a power forward. That is different than suggesting that Dally/Cousins might be an interesting defensive combo (against certain teams), which is what I have stated.
Oh, but that's the difference. I can understand suggesting that it's an interesting defensive combination. I even said that I could see us using that combination depending on matchups. But there's been many instances in this thread and many others that we can get away with playing Dalembert primarily at power forward, and we just can't. I didn't think you'd take my obvious hyperbole literally. I'm just saying that this topic has been hashed and rehashed a bunch already, and we just traded for Dalembert a month ago.

As for matchups, if the Lakers throw Bynum and Ratliff on the floor at the same time, we'll certainly counter with Cousins and Dalembert. Dwight Howard and Marcin Gortat? Same thing. But most nights, that won't be the ideal pairing. We're much better off using our three power forwards at power forward, and using our two centers at center.

By the way, I'm cooler than the other side of the pillow. ;)

So we have fans who still think Tyreke is a sg, and still want to list him as such, and fans who want to move Dallembert to pf, and take away his strengths.

Interesting group of fans we have here. Glad they're here and not running the Kings FO.

game has changed

The NBA has evolved quite a bit now. The guards have become interchangeable. PF and Center seems to be blurred also. It think it's becoming useless to debate this since you can always find successful teams that blur the lines between the positions.

The NBA has evolved quite a bit now. The guards have become interchangeable. PF and Center seems to be blurred also. It think it's becoming useless to debate this since you can always find successful teams that blur the lines between the positions.
The Houston Rockets in the mid 80s come to mind. I think they had two centers or something.

The Houston Rockets in the mid 80s come to mind. I think they had two centers or something.
The difference is that the "Twin Towers" were both big enough to play center and quick enough to guard PFs. That being said, Hakeem played center and Sampson played PF on the time most of the time.

The game hasn't changed all that much. Back before my time, they were simply listed at guard, forwards, and centers (or the pivot). It wasn't until the 80s (I believe, maybe late 70s) that they started splitting up the guards and forwards.

Spurs, Pistons and Lakers this decade.
Spurs had two 7 footers who blocked shots and cleaned up the board.
Pistons had Sheed at 6'11" and Ben at 6'9" who block shots and clean up the board
Lakers have two 7 footers who block shots and clean up the board

What you notice is these championship teams is that they have a pair of guys blocking shots and grabbing rebounds all day long. Championship teams this decade are physical and dominate the paint.
The closest we have to these teams up front is Dally/Cousins combo. Why get worked up over who is actually PF and Center? Doesn't matter. It's shotblocking and rebound that we need and whoever can do that best should be our main lineup.
Same with the guards. We need guys who can defend perimeter, handle the rock and pass. Look at Lakers and Miami heat championship teams. Either of the starting guards handle the rock. So Evans and Beno or Evans and Garcia combo work just fine and you don't have to worry about who handles the rock because they all can and they all can guard perimeter and pass the ball.

Why is it that all the people that make arguements for having a Cousins/Dalembert front court never address the problem that neither of the two are well suited to guard power forwards?

Why is it that all the people that make arguements for having a Cousins/Dalembert front court never address the problem that neither of the two are well suited to guard power forwards?
That's because they won't have a problem guarding Power forwards. Having watched Dalembert play, I just don't see him having any problem. He came out of college at 225 lbs and now is at 250 lbs. He's lean and quick. All of the championship teams I mentioned have a pair of big guys (>250 lb, 6'11") that basically roamed the paint on defense. They didn't have trouble stopping opposing PF. Elite teams killed us in our down years with their PF and Center shooting and dunking over us in the paint to 15' out after inlet pass or rebound. That's Dally's territory.
The only exception to the Championship teams without pair of Big guys in the middle are the teams with Shaq. Shaq is so big at 335 lbs that he basically can man the paint all by himself. I don't know if we're going to see somebody like Shaq for a long time.